People in 1998 were Stupid

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
There was a Tilt here that had a Beast Busters cab. I wasn't going to arcades much at this point in my life, so I never played it. It is now a Soul Caliber 2 machine... What a horrible fate...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Aaron D said:
There was a Tilt here that had a Beast Busters cab. I wasn't going to arcades much at this point in my life, so I never played it. It is now a Soul Caliber 2 machine... What a horrible fate...

Yeah, that poor coin slot must be worn out now from it being a better game... :spock:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
yeah, I bought a hyper mobo back in 1999 just because SS642 was that good. owning that and Last Blade 2 back then was crucial. Now, not so much. Yeah, SS64 2 is still an awesome game. Same for LB2, but back then they were fresh and lovely. I can't say the same for now. The only reason I would get it again would be to play as bust hanzo.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Yeah, that poor coin slot must be worn out now from it being a better game... :spock:
It's your fault the Hyper Neo died. You suck.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You suck too then. The Hyper Neo should have been the first in a line of many successors to the MVS. Who else wants to be part of my witch hunt?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
*(first of all, I would like to say that this is the longest Hyper-64 thread that I have ever seen!)

You can blame me then. I saw a Sam 64 once. It was in a mall, but I can't remember where. I was a huge fan of the first 3 Samurai games, and I played them EVERY time I saw them in the arcade, but the ONE time I saw 64, I just wasn't interested. If it wasn't for the decision I made that day, Samurai Shodown 64 would have been 25 cents more successful than it was.

There was a huge crowd around it, I watched for a moment, but I didn't feel like waiting in that long ass line to play it though. By 98 I had grown pretty tired of 3D fighters, and it looked to me like SNK had taken a great series and turned it into a bammer clone of Battle Arena Toshinden. I remember being rather disappointed with the way it looked.

I took that 50 cents over to Marvel vs. Capcom and had an 8 game win streak, it was a blast. C'mon, in 1998 why would I play a game that looked like a Toshinden clone with totally messed up looking SS characters, when I could play a fighting game where you can be a Megaman and Spider-Man tag team?

That being said, I'll now leave 98 mode and enter 06 mode. Retrospectively, I probably should have played it that one time because that was my only chance to try it out, and for the low cost of 25-50 cents and a 10-20 minute wait. Now-a-days if I want to try it out, I'm going to have to buy the board.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
alec said:
I took that 50 cents over to Marvel vs. Capcom and had an 8 game win streak, it was a blast. C'mon, in 1998 why would I play a game that looked like a Toshinden clone with totally messed up looking SS characters, when I could play a fighting game where you can be a Megaman and Spider-Man tag team?
Although there were few games at the time I was less interested in than SS64, Marvel vs. Capcom was on that list.

I definitely agree with what you're saying about looking like a BAT clone. It was the same problem as a lot of the 3D fighters of the time ... it just lacked personality. Where the 2D Neo games just oozed style, the 3D games had a complete lack thereof.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
alec said:
There was a huge crowd around it, I watched for a moment, but I didn't feel like waiting in that long ass line to play it though.
Kudos to the crowd.

alec said:
C'mon, in 1998 why would I play a game that looked like a Toshinden clone with totally messed up looking SS characters, when I could play a fighting game where you can be a Megaman and Spider-Man tag team?
It's SNK though, so do you think it really was anything like Toshinden? It's not. Besides, they really fixed the whole concept in the second one, so still reason enough to play the system.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Kudos to the crowd.

It's SNK though, so do you think it really was anything like Toshinden? It's not. Besides, they really fixed the whole concept in the second one, so still reason enough to play the system.
Yeah, that occured to me after the fact. Still though, I remember seeing it and thinking, "thats not Samurai Shodown"

From the ones I had played at the time, 2d fighters don't translate to 3d as well as I would like them to. Street Fighter EX was a disaster! SS64 looked to be kinda in the same vein as that.

At the time I felt that 3d polygons were usually used as a gimmick in fighting games, and, unlike other genres, that extra dimension didn't really do much to push the gameplay forward. I did play a TON of Virtua Fighter 1 when it came out in the cades, but by 98, the cool-factor of polygons was pretty much gone.

I'll play it one day, and chances are, I will like it. For the time being, however, there are still to many MVS games I want to justify a purchase of a 64.

Oh, I also thought it was kinda funny that they called it 64, it kinda seemed like they were piggybacking off of the popularity of the N64. I was almost certain that the game would get ported to the Nintendo system, I was somewhat surprised that it never was. It would have fit right in with the rest of the system's library.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
Unfortunately, there's that whole problem with first impressions. SS64 was enough nothing special that the second one never even got a shot at my school's game room. Launch titles for unproven hardware have to be extremely good to keep that hardware viable. The HNG64's launch titles just weren't enough.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:

Better game? Soul Calibur is garbage.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
alec said:
*(first of all, I would like to say that this is the longest Hyper-64 thread that I have ever seen!)

You can blame me then. I saw a Sam 64 once. It was in a mall, but I can't remember where. I was a huge fan of the first 3 Samurai games, and I played them EVERY time I saw them in the arcade, but the ONE time I saw 64, I just wasn't interested. If it wasn't for the decision I made that day, Samurai Shodown 64 would have been 25 cents more successful than it was.

There was a huge crowd around it, I watched for a moment, but I didn't feel like waiting in that long ass line to play it though. By 98 I had grown pretty tired of 3D fighters, and it looked to me like SNK had taken a great series and turned it into a bammer clone of Battle Arena Toshinden. I remember being rather disappointed with the way it looked.

That being said, I'll now leave 98 mode and enter 06 mode. Retrospectively, I probably should have played it that one time because that was my only chance to try it out, and for the low cost of 25-50 cents and a 10-20 minute wait. Now-a-days if I want to try it out, I'm going to have to buy the board.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bad taste indeed. I can't believe you actually dipped out on SS64 for MvC. What a bad move.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Aaron D said:
Better game? Soul Calibur is garbage.

actually, Beast Busters: Second Nightmare is garbage too.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
for the nay'ers on HNG64 and SS64 - did you guys ever spend time with it? or just the turn off the graphics pretty much sway y'all off.

i just got samurai shodown 64 back (after regrettably selling mine off to gamefan a few yrs ago.) i played with it for 6 - 7 hrs straight, i swear i wished i can take back the time i wasted reading some of the threads in this forum and spent it playing this game some more. some of the combos to pull off in this game - UKYO, shiki, haohmaru, genjuro, galford are BEAST in this game. there are animations on the fighters are not existing in the 2D counterpart. i was just playing it on s-video and the vivid colors are just WOW. it would be unfair to judge the # of polygons used for such an old game.

IMO...i liked Battle Arena Toshinden II just fine, but really, SS64 is much much better then BAT. Team Garapagos/Yuki did their shitz well with SS64 and II back in the day and i consider these games waay way underated.

well...im glad i got it back. just now struggling to get SS64 II WR back, but ill get it. i know i am not missing out, all that matters... :tickled:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
alec said:
Yeah, that occured to me after the fact. Still though, I remember seeing it and thinking, "thats not Samurai Shodown".
I didn't think that, because as long as the it has the familiar characters, it's still a new and exciting version of something familiar.

alec said:
At the time I felt that 3d polygons were usually used as a gimmick in fighting games, and, unlike other genres, that extra dimension didn't really do much to push the gameplay forward.
Yeah, I've always felt exactly the same way. You have to admit that 3-D fighters are generally a lot different from 2-D though.

alec said:
Oh, I also thought it was kinda funny that they called it 64, it kinda seemed like they were piggybacking off of the popularity of the N64.
Yeah, that they did.

Murray said:
Unfortunately, there's that whole problem with first impressions. SS64 was enough nothing special that the second one never even got a shot at my school's game room. Launch titles for unproven hardware have to be extremely good to keep that hardware viable. The HNG64's launch titles just weren't enough.
I don't understand how they bothered to get the machine at all, and then not give it a second chance. Maybe the game wasn't eye-catching enough, but should have still been worth playing. I would argue the game just wasn't installed in enough locations, being new hardware that it is.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
I don't understand how they bothered to get the machine at all, and then not give it a second chance. Maybe the game wasn't eye-catching enough, but should have still been worth playing. I would argue the game just wasn't installed in enough locations, being new hardware that it is.
The turnover rate in that gameroom was pretty high unless something was just making piles of money. That translated into the MVSs and pinballs staying and the HNG64 being replaced with a Gauntlet Legends, which was there until I graduated, IIRC.

Ajax

15 Year Member
BBH said:
actually, Beast Busters: Second Nightmare is garbage too.

I see. Well, I've never played it. I would have liked to at least try it out... All I know is that I dislike Soul Calibur.