People in 1998 were Stupid

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People were stupid in 1998. The Hyper Neo's were in the arcades, and people were too dumb to play them. They saw the machine's and were all like, "Nah, this sucks. I'm not playing this crap." And now we have those people to blame that the system only has seven games and didn't last. Think of the 4-5 years we could have had with it as a semi-successful system. Other Neo Geo arcade systems could have followed. But apparently people thought they had better things to play. Imagine how spoiled they were.

I, for one, took every opportunity to play it when I could. There was only one time an arcade near me had a Hyper Neo -- they had Road's Edge -- and I pumped it full of money all I could. I loved it.

Nothing that cool is being made anymore. People in the 90's were spoiled.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
i can certainly relate to this. when i was living in Raleigh NC and got to play from a local arcade all the way Fayetteville - a SS64 cab, and what a marvel it was i thought back then, brand spankin new dedicated cabinet it was...then...not even 2 months passed...GONE!!! WTF?!? i should have brought a katana and slashed upon sight w/o a word, whomever took the cab away, BLASPHEMY.

i blame the US SNK Arcade marketers too...for not promoting HNG64 good enough.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah. At the Mall of America we had a brand spankin new full driving cab, and it was gone a month later.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I personally never knew it exsisted until earlier this year in Febuary, lol. When I got back into all this arcade stuff and the good ol neo geo. I am the hugest samurai shodown fan its the only fighting game I played in the arcades and when I found out they made a 3d version I bought a box of four mobos lol and had to work to get the games one by one. Now I find myself not wanting to play it cuz I hate playing it on a supergun and I want to play it on a cab. I never saw it in arcades cuz if I had I would have played the hell out of it, but by the mid ninties I stop going to arcades.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
My school's game room had a SS64 cab. I never bothered to play it because 1.) I don't even like SS games in general and 2.) it was always slammed busy with people anyway and 3.) from what I watched, the game just moved too slow to be interesting.

If they'd had FFWA, it might've been another story, but they had Rival Schools, Bust-A-Move Again, and MVS cabs about 6 feet away that kept my attention pretty well so the HNG64 became pretty irrelevant pretty quick.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Murray said:
My school's game room had a SS64 cab. I never bothered to play it because 1.) I don't even like SS games in general and 2.) it was always slammed busy with people anyway and 3.) from what I watched, the game just moved too slow to be interesting.

If they'd had FFWA, it might've been another story, but they had Rival Schools, Bust-A-Move Again, and MVS cabs about 6 feet away that kept my attention pretty well so the HNG64 became pretty irrelevant pretty quick.
Gentleman, Murray is to blame for the the HNG64's quick demise. Let's get him.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
***sigh*** sad to see the arcade presence deteriorate. luckily, i get to visit the mall in Waldork MD and they have a MVS 4-slot cab there, albeit having a problem, and sitting not getting any play, like seeing a sad little sick kid not being able to play with the rest of the kids. :(

i did try and talk with the arcade owner to try and negotiate the 4-slot but the damn owner creeps me the hell out, i think he may be a pedophile too...

HNG64 cabs are very scarce now if not non-existent. i have not seen one in over 3 yrs and the last one i have seen was SS64 warriors rage and Beast Busters (that game is also badass, btw) all the way Louiville KY. sad.

regardless of my fanboism, but HNG64 is GREAT! :emb:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
evasyar said:
HNG64 cabs are very scarce now if not non-existent.
If I had an MVS cab, I would probably just put the Rev. 2 64 board in there, since there are only 4 games to play with it anyway.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
Gentleman, Murray is to blame for the the HNG64's quick demise. Let's get him.
Gah! *ducks barrage of flying objects* :eek:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I agree if you have a MVS cab just slap the Hyper in there. Same number of buttons the only problem I might see if sound hook up.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
SNK should have at least created something with more mass appeal like a platformer before throwing in the towel. I believe a KOF and MS would have really been something special.
BB

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I never got a chance to play a HN64 cab anywhere. :crying:

In the late 90's, it was tough to find an MVS in this shitty town. All I had available was a few big reds at a pool hall and maybe one Metal Slug dedicated machine at the movie theater. I would have killed to play SS64 back then.

Hell, getting a HN64 board and games is on my "to buy" list in the distant future.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
but you know never late than never. if you plan to get just the fight games you are set with a SG + jamma ready rev.2 + the 4 fighting games. i personally am slowly getting there. only thing i am hunting for is bukiki one + SS64 WR...tho, i wish i can find/get a beast buster HNG64 cab for the novelty. too bad you cant play it in a SG.

Beast Busters HNG64 cab + any of the Raiden Fighters cabs + Strikers 1999 cab + Super Street Fighters 2 X Grand Battle cab = SECHS nirvana IMO... :emb:

**end of shameless fanboism**

and neo geo MVS - still procrastinating on your offer :drool:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've never played any HNG64 game, only SS64 Warriors Rage on the PSX and I thought that was pretty cool.
It looks much better on the HNG64 yeah?

In a few weeks I'll be sure to get myself some sort of HNG64 setup. :glee:

Sundance

Sho's Rival
I never got to play any fighters specifically but i did drop a tidy bit on Beast Busters while on holiday in Breckinridge about 5 or 6 years ago. It was on of the best gun games i've played. Def up there w/ the Jurassic Park game. And it's hella-fast. Too bad it had such a short run.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Sundance said:
I never got to play any fighters specifically but i did drop a tidy bit on Beast Busters while on holiday in Breckinridge about 5 or 6 years ago. It was on of the best gun games i've played. Def up there w/ the Jurassic Park game. And it's hella-fast. Too bad it had such a short run.

I remember that they had that game at one of the more recent SuperAuctions I went to. I believe it only sold for $300 but the monitor was fuzzy and one of the guns didn't work. Thinking back, I should of bid on it.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Face it, Hyper sucked cock. Why play that when VF3 and Tekken was out? I love Neo as much as the next guy, but let's get serious.

And besides, KOF98 was out? WTF, need I say more?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Face it, Hyper sucked cock. Why play that when VF3 and Tekken was out? I love Neo as much as the next guy, but let's get serious.

And besides, KOF98 was out? WTF, need I say more?
Nah, this was still worth playing. The other games weren't that much better, especially if you weren't a big Tekken or Virtua Fighter fan.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
A mall near me used to have a Tilt arcade with Beast Busters in it, it was an ok game I played it a few times when I went there. A year or so ago I bought a rev.2 board and all 4 games from Vectorlogic and honestly the only ones that I really enjoyed were SS64 and FFWA. It was a case of these are ok, but I've got SS 1-5 and RBFFS and MOTW on MVS so what's the point? I enjoy 2D MUCH more than 3D so it was a no brainer to just go ahead and sell the H64 stuff.

They're cool if you're looking for a niche in your collection, but they don't have the appeal of their 2D counterparts. If I ever got another Neo candy cab it might be cool to stick one of these in it to keep side by side with the MVS though.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
SNK should have at least created something with more mass appeal like a platformer before throwing in the towel. I believe a KOF and MS would have really been something special.
BB

truth.

Also, if they had developed a 2D game for it as well....like they did in my dreams :crying:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The thing that interests me most about the Hyper Neo was something SouthtownKid said like a year ago, that it could hypothetically create better-looking 2D games than the Atomiswave.
Bummer that the full potential of the Hyper was never brought out.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
The thing that interests me most about the Hyper Neo was something SouthtownKid said like a year ago, that it could hypothetically create better-looking 2D games than the Atomiswave.
Bummer that the full potential of the Hyper was never brought out.
I doubt it, because it could only display 4,096 colors on screen at once, the same as the original Neo Geo.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Neo Alec said:
I doubt it, because it could only display 4,096 colors on screen at once, the same as the original Neo Geo.
Hmmm well there are some 2D elements in (at least) one of the SamSho64 games which look awesome on the character select screen.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
El Capitan said:
Hmmm well there are some 2D elements in (at least) one of the SamSho64 games which look awesome on the character select screen.
Yeah, if you look at the specs of the system, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to do decent 2-D as well.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Years ago on the DHP we spoke about how it was able to do high res 2D. Whether that was true or not, nobody was for sure. I would have loved to see what they could do with it, however.