preview of Kusanagi Kyo card (UFS CCG)

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
As some of you may recall, Sabertooth Games announced on 5/12/2006 that KOF2006 (aka MI2) and SamShoV (aka SamSpi Zero) had been licensed for a future expansion to their popular UFS (Universal Fighting System) Collectible Card Game (currently utilizing characters from Street Fighter and Soul Calibur III):
SNK Joins UFS Brand - 5/12/2006

(MEMPHIS, TN) – Sabertooth Games Inc. (STG), creators of WarCry: The Warhammer CCG (Collectible Card Games) and the renowned Dark Millennium: The Warhammer 40,000 CCG, announced today a partnership with SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, to create the SAMURAI SHODOWN V TM and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2006 TM Collectible Card Game, which will be part of the Sabertooth Games’ Universal Fighting System. The initial release, which will have both Starters and Booster trading card packs, will bring a collection of classic characters and new favorites from both SAMURAI SHODOWN V TM and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2006 TM to player’s hands, allowing them to pit their favorite SNK fighters against a friend.
“SNK’s SAMURAI SHODOWN V TM and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2006 TM is the next step in our quest to bring the best fighting games to our UFS CCG,” said Steve Horvath, CEO of Sabertooth Games. “As long time fans of these products, we are honored to be bringing SAMURAI SHODOWN V TM and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2006 TM to the world of collectible card games.”

"We are very excited to be working with Sabertooth Games and their Universal Fighting System," said Eric Feiner, VP of Sales and Marketing for SNK PLAYMORE USA. "We believe that they will do great work with our premiere brands of THE KING OF FIGHTERS and SAMURAI SHODOWN. We're looking forward to seeing them in the CCG marketplace."

The initial release of Sabertooth’s SAMURAI SHODOWN V TM and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2006 TM CCG will include 16 characters as well as their classic signature attacks and fighting styles. They join characters from previously announced properties within the Universal Fighting System, the premier one on one fighting experience in the CCG genre, allowing great cross-over opportunities for players to pit their favorite fighting game characters against each other.

Follow this link to The Cardboard Dojo for a preview of the Xianghua and Kyo promo cards.

EDIT: according to a post in this thread at the Sabertooth Games forums, the SNK expansion for UFS will have some of the characters in dedicated Starter Decks and some available only in Booster Packs (similar to the way the 1st installments of SF and SCIII were handled when UFS launched):

** Starter Decks **
Terry Bogard
Mai Shiranui

Haohmaru
Ukyo Tachibana

** Booster Characters **
Iori Yagami
Kyo Kusanagi
Nagase
Lien Neville
Athena Asamiya
Alba Meira

Yoshitora
Charlotte
Gaira
Hanzo
Nakoruru
Galford

Good choices for the Starter Decks, IMO, with STG going for 2 of the most recognized characters from KOF and SS. Booster sales should be decent, too, with other popular characters (Iori, Kyo, Hanzo, Nakoruru) pushing them.

--Chris

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
What they need to do is throw some Billy Kane boosters in there.

However an Ukyo starter deck would be pretty awesome.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Domino-chan said:
What they need to do is throw some Billy Kane boosters in there. However an Ukyo starter deck would be pretty awesome.
Hopefully, the initial SNK expansion will sell well enough that Sabertooth Games will be willing to continue with additional expansions, including some Billy stuff. Meanwhile, here's a bump for the promo previews page at Cardboard Dojo, where they've added several cards, including Mai, Nagase, and Athena. Unfortunately, the space available on each card for a character's Gender, Height, Weight, and Blood Type is super-limited, so there's no room available on Nagase's card to explain that her weight of 174 lbs includes the 81-lb protector she wears. Mai: All attacks get "Stun:2" -- apparently 1 point for each breast (as the opponent character ogles them, lecherously or enviously?).

--Chris

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wonder if this has anything to do with Shawn. He used to be known for his interest in card games like these. Plus the news is from Memphis? Seems coincidental. But cool nonetheless.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
just a quick question, why the hell are the KOF characters (from a 2d game) in horrible 3d, while the soul calibur characters (from a 3d game) drawn, beautifully i might ad.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
MUSOLINI said:
just a quick question, why the hell are the KOF characters (from a 2d game) in horrible 3d, while the soul calibur characters (from a 3d game) drawn, beautifully i might ad.
Because (so far) the license Sabertooth Games has is for KOF2006 / KOF:MI2, not any of the 2D KOFs. Also, 2006/MI2 uses the 3D models of the characters for the game's official artwork, whereas SCIII had more traditional illustrations for the official art.

Bear in mind however, that these are only the promo cards. If the SNK installment follows the pattern of the previous SF/SCIII releases (and there's no reason at this point to think that it won't), the SNK starters and boosters will feature a 2nd and 3rd character card for each character with different illustrations. I'm inclined to suspect that these 2nd and 3rd versions will likely go with the traditional illustrations the UFS game is known for. The SCIII cards used a few official illustrations from NAMCO, but the bulk of the artwork was done by Imaginary Friends Studio (Singapore), while UDON has been handling the SF artwork. My assumption is that the KOF cards will continue Sabertooth's pattern of 3rd-party unofficial art in the traditional (non-3Dmodel) style. This would seem to be supported by the traditional (and unofficial) illustration on the Hanzo card (see my previous post).

EDIT: btw, Terry was added to the Promo page today.

--Chris

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
At the risk of sounding unproductively negative, I really, really wish they hadn't used the Maximum Impact renders for the character art. They should've tried to at least get access to Falcoon's recent stuff.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
The sneak peek of the Haohmaru promo is up at ufscards.com. Just noticed that Imaginary Friends Studio did the illustrations for Hanzo and Haohmaru, as well as Twelve, Sagat, Rose, Fei Long, Zangief, and (Satsui no Hadou ni mezameta) Ryu -- as far as I remember, this may be the first time IFS has done any of the SF cards; previously Udon's turf. If Sabertooth is expanding the workload that they're giving IFS, perhaps we'll see them handling the KOF assignment, too. At this point, I'm not terribly concerned about the possibility of all the KOF cards being done using 3D renders -- the number of cards being released would seem to outweigh the amount of official 3D render artwork we've seen from SNK Playmore. Besides, Sabertooth seems to have gone to great lengths to ensure that the majority of their cards have great artwork -- given the illustrations we're seeing for Hanzo and Haohmaru, I think it's likely we'll see something similar for the non-promo KOF cards.

EDIT: I posted at Sabertooth Games' forums about the KOF promo images and whether we could expect to see more traditional (non-3D-rendered model) illustrations for the general-release KOF cards. According to Sabertooth staff member, Jinxx, the KOF cards will feature more traditional illustrations/artwork.

--Chris

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Dash no Chris said:
According to Sabertooth staff member, Jinxx, the KOF cards will feature more traditional illustrations/artwork.
A bump to point out a li'l peek at some of that more traditional artwork for the KOF cards. Sabertooth Games redesigned their frontpage to include some cycling animation of some of the card artwork from the next sets. After the SF and SCIII images cycle by, you'll see portions of the illustrations for Mai, Lien, Galford, Alba, Charlotte, and Kyo.

Also, Cardboard Dojo's Promo Preview page was updated with Alba yesterday.

--Chris

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Ohhhhhh Ukyo... :drool: That just clenched my purchase of his starter deck.

All I need is a Kazuki set so I can combine his with Billy Kane's and make the "Angry!Voice Actor" deck.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
ufscards.com posted the promo previews for Yoshitora and Nakoruru today. Nako looks like she could shape up to be one badass character card.

EDIT: the promo preview of Gaira has been added (bringing the SamSho promo previews to a close).

--Chris

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
I like Yoshitora already

"Your assets count as foundations."

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I'm really liking where Kyo's going with his elements. If he keeps it up I will look into incorporating him into my Vega deck.

But Yagami needs to ditch the pink rickenbacker. Iori is trying too hard to be truly outrageous.