Shmups.com

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Vincere said:
This is what makes me like shmups.com. I like it because everybody's oversensitive about their favorite shmup. This is what I like over there. You'll never see so much fanatics about one game in a vs fighter forum, even if some people really love some games. Just check, BG's strategy guide, this as anal as it can get, there are frame shooting rate, everything it put under a microscope etc. This is what I like, this is a very hardcore -yet anal and childish sometimes- videogame forum.

Ummmm, do a search on here for KOF '98, and Garou

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I perfectly know what you imply and perfectly know what I implied. This stated, I keep saying that fanatism about vs fighters is far from fanatism about shmups.

Vincere said:
I perfectly know what you imply and perfectly know what I implied. This stated, I keep saying that fanatism about vs fighters is far from fanatism about shmups.

Yes there is equal fanaticism for fighting games. Check out SRK forums. Actually, SRK is even worse than shmups.com. I don't think shmups.com is bad though, just too narrow for my personal taste. NG.com is nice because we cover a broad base of gaming genres, but unfortunately like BBH kind of pointed out, we aren't intricate enough concerning gameplay, or maybe it's just that people here aren't serious enough about the gameplay aspects.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
GunstarHero said:
but unfortunately like BBH kind of pointed out, we aren't intricate enough concerning gameplay, or maybe it's just that people here aren't serious enough about the gameplay aspects.

That's for sure man. Much chat but the site kind of lacks real players.

J

jpj

i had someone moan at me because i posted in the strategy section with the wrong pre-fix, lol. i think that was right before started to bore me to tears. some people spend a little bit toooooo much time on the internet :kekeke: and unfortunately shmups.com has a lot of these people.

come to think of it.... i wish they would add a news & rumours section (for the actual informative stuff).

slugnoid

Another Striker
jpj said:
i had someone moan at me because i posted in the strategy section with the wrong pre-fix, lol. i think that was right before started to bore me to tears. some people spend a little bit toooooo much time on the internet :kekeke: and unfortunately shmups.com has a lot of these people.

come to think of it.... i wish they would add a news & rumours section (for the actual informative stuff).

lol... i read that thread... couldn't beleive they were getting sooooo irate about that shit... who cares if you didn't write it... i think that's obvios from the link.

J

jpj

at the end of the day... does it really matter? that's what you've gotta ask yourself.

and to be honest, it's fellow fans like yourself that i was posting it for the benefit of - it's an awesome guide. i'm past caring about it, but i was a bit taken aback by how people can respond...

anyway, when are you gonna compliment your ST-V version with the saturn version as well...? ;)

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Word to the wise: don't read every thread on a forum. :oh_no:
I've been w/ shmups for about 5 years and have seen many silly folk come and go. Enjoyment is maintained by avoiding certain posters altogether. In this way, ingnorance is bliss if ignorance is defined by not tainting my brain w/ every stupid thread that surfaces on a forum.
-ud

slugnoid

Another Striker
jpj said:
anyway, when are you gonna compliment your ST-V version with the saturn version as well...? ;)

well, i really don't play console games much anymore... my friend has a minty original copy that he loaned to me a while back, that's when i knew i needed the real deal... i might pick it up someday, but for now, i'm more than happy playing it on my cab.

btw, did you ever secure yourself an ST-V copy?

TWE

Zero's Secretary
ResOGlas said:
I have to double check and make sure that I'm not the only one here that notices how useless that forum is?

One wonders why you would continue posting at a forum you deem 'useless'. Only a very pathetic person would do that. And incidentally I see two posts in the Senko no Ronde thread there from you today. Brilliant show.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
undamned said:
I've been w/ shmups for about 5 years and have seen many silly folk come and go. Enjoyment is maintained by avoiding certain posters altogether. In this way, ingnorance is bliss if ignorance is defined by not tainting my brain w/ every stupid thread that surfaces on a forum.
-ud

Bingo! Thats exactly how I go about it.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
undamned said:
-ud

Must avoid the General Discussion and War Room here at all cost then.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Oh dear..

Unlike many others here, I lurk around a forum, read what I want to know and if I like the vibe I join.

I dont *ucking jump in and rake havoc on the place and try to turn it upside down. If you can see how its run and how its members treat the place and you totally disrespect that then of course your going to get hammered, bored or whatever.

The reason moderators are there is to protect the integrity of the place.

Personally I think its immature that this thread even exists. Just goes to show that the person who created it wants nothing more than to cause a "war of the forums" which people taking sides.

Next.....

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
TWE said:
One wonders why you would continue posting at a forum you deem 'useless'. Only a very pathetic person would do that. And incidentally I see two posts in the Senko no Ronde thread there from you today. Brilliant show.

Ahh, how adorable. You came to visit me? Brilliant show indeed.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I haven'y had any problems there so far. The peeps are a lot more down-to-earth and the few morons are easily ignored by everyone else on the forums. I've bought some great PCBs there and every person I've dealt with so far has been extremely nice. Just got back from a meet today which was great as well.
I personally find this place much more volatile.

-Segasonicfan

P.S. Thanks again for the Esprade PCB, I'm loving it :D

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
segasonicfan said:
I haven'y had any problems there so far. The peeps are a lot more down-to-earth and the few morons are easily ignored by everyone else on the forums. I've bought some great PCBs there and every person I've dealt with so far has been extremely nice. Just got back from a meet today which was great as well.
I personally find this place much more volatile.

-Segasonicfan

P.S. Thanks again for the Esprade PCB, I'm loving it :D

Yeah, I'm sure most the people there are great. It's a shame most the lurkers don't post and share their opinions as well. The main problem is there's usually at least 5 "Baby Geniuses" that post in almost every thread. Glad you're enjoying the PCB, it's a very fun game.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Well, this thread has pretty much served it's purpose. I've confirmed that I'm not imagining things and many people feel the same way I do and that many people do not. No point in scaring new members away from a forum based on other's opinions. These are two VERY different forums and both have completely different vibes.

Two negatives don't equal a positive, might as well lock or delete this thread. If not, guess it doesn't matter too much either way.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
By poplular demand, here's a thread from shmups.com that everyone thinks will embarass me:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=4399&highlight=

This was originally a few pages into a DoDonPachi High Score thread, but one of the moderators split up the thread and made this it's own after everyone derailed the thread and blamed me for derailing the thread. Honestly read this and see who fired their guns first. This is when I was new to shmups.com and had no idea that so many people would get upset if you decide to personally play on a harder difficulty in a game, especially if you're doing so and aren't as good as them at that game. I remind you that I did not start this thread, just another example of how these two forums have a completely different vibe. Over here people would either joke back, ignore it, or less surprisingly many people over here do play games on level-8 (As many of you would know in Neo-Geo terms). So there it is, hate it or love it. Good night children. :emb:

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I can give you some very good reasons why that thread turned ugly.

1) You came across very cocky from the offset.
2) You basically called anyone who played defaults to be lame asses.
3) Anyone who follows a post with another post is baiting the thread to see who will bite. First try fails, so try again huh?

4) Some sarcasm was thrown back at you and then you start name calling. You gotta be able to take what your shovelling pal.

5) Then I admired your "peace" request, which to be honest was kind of a "bit too late". But better late than never. I would of let it go at that personally.

To conclude, you went and started this knowing full well how to pull certain strings. You acted accordingly and got the results you aimed for. Bravo!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Neorichieb1971 said:
3) Anyone who follows a post with another post is baiting the thread to see who will bite. First try fails, so try again huh?

Oh yeah, well you're a fucking idiot for feeling that way. Now now, I'm just joking. ;)

But by your logic if you responded to that comment you would be the asshole?
If you quoted me twice you're a bad guy?

That's just not how things work, in real life that's called a conversation. It's what's said and the intention that counts. My intention wasn't to make anyone angry, it was just a question in a cocky manner but by no means offensive.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
When more than one member says "Please post your score".. You deliberately flame bait the thread instead. It stands to reason after the umpteenth time of you ignoring that request that people would get upset.

Then surprisingly, you put a score of 7,200,000 or so out there.. to be honest I don't know if thats good or bad I haven't checked. By this time I think its reasonable to say that wether or not its good, some people would say its crap on the basis youve pissed them off.

Most people on most forums don't think its cool to have the attitude youve displayed. The integrity of the shmups forums is just kept in higher regard than this one. I've seen alot of threads on that forum where people are having a laugh, they just don't start off with flame baits.

starman

Armored Scrum Object
I love Shmups, and I love playing for scores, or in the case of Gradius 3, just trying to beat the goddamn game. I also like competition amongst like minded individuals, just to improve my score and better myself in the process. To improve myself, I read tips from fellow members, or watch videos or whatever. All of this is in good fun of course, just a nice hobby to pass time with.

Now, what I never understood is the huge amount of penis wagging that occurs at Shmups.com forums, or SRK, or in CS, or in competetive games in general. Sureley the score I got in Mushimesama doesn't represent my worth as a human being... yet to a huge amount of people, this is exactly the case! I mean, what gives mate... there's a whole lot more to life than fine tuning your reflexes to dodging bullet placed a pixel's edge away from you...

I can never truly understand the internet :annoyed: .

DEL

n00b
Your Answer lies in: ego and testosterone.

starman wrote;
I love Shmups, and I love playing for scores, or in the case of Gradius 3, just trying to beat the goddamn game. I also like competition amongst like minded individuals, just to improve my score and better myself in the process. To improve myself, I read tips from fellow members, or watch videos or whatever. All of this is in good fun of course, just a nice hobby to pass time with.

Now, what I never understood is the huge amount of penis wagging that occurs at Shmups.com forums, or SRK, or in CS, or in competetive games in general. Sureley the score I got in Mushimesama doesn't represent my worth as a human being... yet to a huge amount of people, this is exactly the case! I mean, what gives mate... there's a whole lot more to life than fine tuning your reflexes to dodging bullet placed a pixel's edge away from you...
Your 2nd paragraph contradicts your 1st Paragraph^
Your answer lies in: ego and testosterone (not unusual for the male of the species)

& I agree with;
just a nice hobby to pass time with.