Shmups.com

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Shmups.com seemed better before the forums moved/changed/restarted/whatever, but I still haven't really had any issues there. Then again, I'm not there as much as I am here.

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Damn....I just joined shmups yesterday because I started liking shooters bigger than ever while practicing up my shmup skills to put my gameplay vids on YouTube.

Handle: RippleScythe

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like the place

but I only post in a few threads

I'm pretty picky about it

I just don't share the forums love for DDP and Cave (though I like some Cave games)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Shmups won't let me join because of my yahoo email address, which sucks, I'm not about to get a new email just to post there. They have some sales that I wouldn't mind working with on those boards. I read the strategies sometimes. This websites strategy section is almost nonexistant.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
iam only there for the buy and sell section..... mostly buying:chimp:

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
No offense at all, but when it comes to the competitive side of shmupping, I hope they ain't "newb intolerant" like the fighting game scene (in my eyes that is), like half the Shoryuken.com population and YouTube users that like to leave bitchy comments on videos that are average and aren't the best.

Last edited:

Randorama

King's Dry Cleaner
I am not, and i'd be glad to see you post some scores, of course ;) Seriously, if you read the thread of the posers (people that bitch about how cool they are that they play 2D niche games) and then you cross-reference the high-score/strategy section, you will see that those are the posers. See you on the high-score tables, then ;)

It's an average site. I could do without the whole "Space Harrier and anything like it are off topic!" shit they pull once in awhile, but I understand the administator has the absolute right to set his own parameters of what a shooter is. However overly Anal those parameters may be.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
GunstarHero said:
It's an average site. I could do without the whole "Space Harrier and anything like it are off topic!" shit they pull once in awhile, but I understand the administator has the absolute right to set his own parameters of what a shooter is. However overly Anal those parameters may be.

co-signed.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Bishamon said:
Shmups.com seemed better before the forums moved/changed/restarted/whatever, but I still haven't really had any issues there.
I have to agree with you there. I prefered the forums before it was moved in Jan 05, but sometimes now I think on one hand it has become a bit too elietist, and the other it has threads like - "what shmup has the best bullets/story/music/bomb/laser etc.
It's a bit of a shame really, but it's still the best english shooter forum on the net.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Space harrier isn't a shmup... I don't see why that would be a controversial statement!

I don't think its that elitist either... I post in some high score sections and I am shit... I tend to be near the bottom of the list but no-one has a go.

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Hahah I never saw Space Harrier as a shmup myself period. pressing the button with constant fire may give it that shooter vibe, but still....

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Complaining about shmups.com after spending years on n-g.com? Something's wrong in your head man. That's some quality forum drama-wise. I'm mostly a lurker but post sometimes, most often in the ranking section. I love to read all the drama around BG, Bullet and Rando are 2 great members IMO. I spend much more time on shmups than here actually.

Otherwise, everybody's tolerant whenever a noob joins the scene and tries to post a score, unlike here where the poor noob gets his ass raped on his first post on a regular basis. Anyway, shmups vs fighters seems totally different views about video games and what a "player" is.

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
I don't have a problem with shmups. If you're expecting intelligent discussion, go to IC, otherwise, shmups is great if you're into the genre, looking for boards, and it's the only place that had hardcore guides and strategy for some of the best shmups like Garegga. Bow down you haters.

And about SRK, I totally agree, way too much e-thugging and it's funny because 90% of those fuckers suck and play on xbox live and totally ride the Daigo wave to death. Anyone who's good and respectable is there to help others get better and increase their knowledge base, not flame and harass "nubs." Seriously, get a fucking life if all you can do is put people down on online forums constantly, lame ego booster if you ask me.

Edit: qask me!

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
thchardcore said:
I don't have a problem with shmups. If you're expecting intelligent discussion, go to IC, otherwise, shmups is great if you're into the genre, looking for boards, and it's the only place that had hardcore guides and strategy for some of the best shmups like Garegga. Bow down you haters.

And about SRK, IU totally agree, way too much e-thugging and it's funny because 90% of those fuckers suck and play on xbox live and totally ride the Daigo's wave to death. Anyone who's good and respectable is there to help others get better and increase their knowledge base, not flame and harass "nubs." Seriously, get a fucking life if all you can do is put people down on online forums constantly, lame ego booster if you qask me.

I agree....BUT, you can admit there are different vibes and/or attitudes over there. Its merely a different flavor of people and a different set of rules. I just think that the guys here could beat up the guys there. Thats all I'm sayin'. :buttrock:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
As a proportion more of the guys here are US and we all know they weigh in on the heavier side compared to the European guys... As a proportion I would say shmups is quite European.... So pixeljunkie is probably right about the fight.

Randorama

King's Dry Cleaner
Shmups is actually mostly anglophonic, but there's a consistent percentage of brits and other europeans in small percentages.

About the notion of shmup: the name is a tad misleading, because most people use "shooter", which is a rather broad genre. Shmups are labeled as such because they mostly stick to "joystick= movement of the sprite" and the idea that you destroy stuff with your shot. There is no true official definition, and it would be a bit problematic, because there isn't a standard (i.e. programmers often toyed around with genre and in some periods there have been some wild experiments). However, from roughly '93 on, the formula has been fixed to a rather rigourous standard ( prototypical titles: Raiden for Tate shmups, Gradius for Hori ones).

...And Tristesse/Vincere: where are your Batsugun scores? :shame: ;)

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Haha, I just can't show them as I have never got past Jupiter! That damn boss makes an amazing 100% kill ratio on me ha ha.:lolz:

Edit: shame doesn't kill after all haha:
1 746 810 - stage 4 - Jeeno - Vincere

Last edited:

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I agree....BUT, you can admit there are different vibes and/or attitudes over there. Its merely a different flavor of people and a different set of rules. I just think that the guys here could beat up the guys there. Thats all I'm sayin'. :buttrock:

Too true, especailly the ones in the shmups chat. :)
Reminds me of the "My child beat up your honor student" bumper stickers.

Oh and sorry about the horrible typing in the last post, aye!

Crayfish

n00b
Its a great forum, no1 english language source of news on shmups, lots of good resources etc... but I have to agree the atmosphere, concensus and culture on that board is oppressive, anal and humourless. It doesn't seem like its all down to the individual people on the board, its as much the culture thats developed there. I've never come accross another gaming forum where enjoyment and insight feel so relegated and the posting practices and etiquette take on such significance, almost to the point of ritual. It feels like its nessisary to put a warning in the thread title that it may contain irony or a non-literal statement.
The shmup defenition issue may not seem like a big deal, but there are no other decent sized forums, where it would be worth posting quality posts for, shooting sub-genres like 'run&guns' etc.. Alot of the relegated subgenres share more important things with the accepted shmpups, like skill-set, design philosophy, aesthetics and most importantly fanbase, than wether the screen auto scrolls or whatever.. Ultimately they have what they want, a cosey narrowminded members club.

BIG

sony fanboy
Shmups is a pretty cool site. I used to go there on a daily basis.

The only thing I don't like about the site is the fact that most people there are overly sensitive and uptight.

Shit,I remember getting teh ban one time for bumping a sales thread and cussing out a moderator via PM.

True story.

B-

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Like BIG I used to go everyday as well but dont now. Mainly because I dont have anything new to post high scores for. Hell, the strat and high score threads for Batrider helped me increase my best score an aditional 1 million points and thats quite a lot for APB.

Shmups is a totally different place than it is here and I go for news, strat, and high scores. Now to talk about which shmup has the best cloud in it. And that was an actual topic I shit you not.:oh_no:

But yeah, some people are way too childish and overly sensitive. Selling/wanted threads being bumped takes the jam out of every babies doughnut.

BIG needs an update in custom ranks...

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
This is what makes me like shmups.com. I like it because everybody's oversensitive about their favorite shmup. This is what I like over there. You'll never see so much fanatics about one game in a vs fighter forum, even if some people really love some games. Just check, BG's strategy guide, this as anal as it can get, there are frame shooting rate, everything it put under a microscope etc. This is what I like, this is a very hardcore -yet anal and childish sometimes- videogame forum.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Crayfish said:
The shmup defenition issue may not seem like a big deal, but there are no other decent sized forums, where it would be worth posting quality posts for, shooting sub-genres like 'run&guns' etc.. Alot of the relegated subgenres share more important things with the accepted shmpups, like skill-set, design philosophy, aesthetics and most importantly fanbase, than wether the screen auto scrolls or whatever..

When stgfan.com (Swedish Shmup & run 'n gun community) was launched there really was no discussion if both genres would be included, It just felt natural they should. Even though it's in a foreign language to most of you ;) international posters are very welcome.