JP Slug 1 Homecarts..fake or real deal?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Impossible to tell, you can not go by artwork alone.

The trouble is with home system cart "legit or not" queries, is that owners are usually to anal to split the cart shell to look inside incase a slight mark may have an effect on value to a collector. It may be an authentic cart with dodgy art or visa versa.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
HOW...

also how in the world can you open up the cart to check is conversion, bootleg, or real chips inside the thing? hell, thats one of the reason why i prefer the MVS carts, so easy to open up to check bootlegs. :emb:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
evasyar said:
also how in the world can you open up the cart to check is conversion, bootleg, or real chips inside the thing? hell, thats one of the reason why i prefer the MVS carts, so easy to open up to check bootlegs. :emb:

You look for bad soldering jobs. If you have a conversion, you will notice that the soldering does not look like it was done by a machine at the factory (big blobs, uneven blobs, etc.). Of course, eeproms are a dead giveaway too for the bootleggers, same as MVS carts.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
duly noted brother, i will do that, but thats just it tho, i still have to open up the AES cart, and that thing looks like its closed and cant be popped open... :emb:

ki_atsushi said:
You look for bad soldering jobs. If you have a conversion, you will notice that the soldering does not look like it was done by a machine at the factory (big blobs, uneven blobs, etc.). Of course, eeproms are a dead giveaway too for the bootleggers, same as MVS carts.

SPAZ.

Zero's Secretary
hey wheelaa you also see the lot of metal slug games?

i think i´ll never have this game on aes, perhaps i buy a mvs conversion from cgame

or perhaps when this game cost 300€ in the future :P

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:

Don't forget, SNK was sloppy and some updates were hand soldered.

I've seen legit and bootleg games with both machine and hand soldering.

If you really do want a MS AES, just go for a deffty conversion, you can't really tell the difference anyway.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I know the auctions are over, but I'll give some feedbacks

wheelaa said:

This one is FAKE! Back of the insert, the brick was trimmed at edge of insert. The original one shows complete arch brick wall with dark corner, no yellow edge on insert of original one. Now if you look at the front insert of Shawn's original cart

http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/carts/jap/metalslug.jpg

The flash from the gun is half out, the fake insert is barely seen on the edge of the insert. Beware, the insert isn't trimmed at all (it extends all the way toward the edge of the cover).

and

wheelaa said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neo-Geo-AES-NGH...04QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I only ask as one looks like the insert has been trimmed (or just missing bits off each side).

Can't tell, ask the seller to take pic of the back of insert. The problem is, many collectors out there unknowingly bought fake carts and passed onto other buyers. However the insert on the front looks genuine, the whole half flash is identical to original, so this copy is probably geniune.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
vincewy said:
I know the auctions are over, but I'll give some feedbacks

This one is FAKE! Back of the insert, the brick was trimmed at edge of insert. The original one shows complete arch brick wall with dark corner, no yellow edge on insert of original one. Now if you look at the front insert of Shawn's original cart

http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/carts/jap/metalslug.jpg

The flash from the gun is half out, the fake insert is barely seen on the edge of the insert. Beware, the insert isn't trimmed at all (it extends all the way toward the edge of the cover).

and

Can't tell, ask the seller to take pic of the back of insert. The problem is, many collectors out there unknowingly bought fake carts and passed onto other buyers. However the insert on the front looks genuine, the whole half flash is identical to original, so this copy is probably geniune.

I think they are both fake. On that last one that you think is real, take a close look at the bricks on the manual of Shawn's legit cart Vs. the auction's manual. The brick that's 2nd from the top on the left is longer in the auction picture than on Shawn's pic, just like the one in the other auction. Dunno, seems fishy to me.

It's not worth even trying to find a legit copy of this game, this one way overpriced and is faked waaaay too much.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
I think they are both fake. On that last one that you think is real, take a close look at the bricks on the manual of Shawn's legit cart Vs. the auction's manual. The brick that's 2nd from the top on the left is longer in the auction picture than on Shawn's pic, just like the one in the other auction. Dunno, seems fishy to me.

It's not worth even trying to find a legit copy of this game, this one way overpriced and is faked waaaay too much.

Yes, you got that one, I just noticed that the geniune copy has 2 bricks with edges near the folding of manual, but not the one in auction, so both are fake.

wheelaa

New Challenger
Thanks guys, very good info indeed. I notice the first one I posted is missing a mm or two off the bottom as well..its stops right on his left leg trouser (as you look at it) whereas the legit copy clearly has a bit of boot going on. But yeah, cheers. I got a copy ages back and I think it passes muster. Although, and sorry to repeat a poster above, but how do you open a homecart safely?

Edit..found out how to

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151694

Last edited:

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Why bother laying out so much cash when you can get a conversion for around £80-£100(£50-£60 for the parts plus labour)?

Hell, my own personal copy that I had set me back around £52 total and only took about an hour to do.