Multi-version NeoGeo games

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
No I'm looking for actual romset variations into AES/MVS production runs.

Buffi

Zero's Secretary
I have the korean version of samurai spirits 2.
Saulabi Spirits it is called (notice the korean signs under the title also) :)

Apparently Saulabi is more or less a Korean Samurai so I guess it's a good translation

samsho2_2.jpg

edit: Boards look legit btw... worth anything?

Last edited:

DIX

Astra Superstar
Burning Fight:

similar to Raguy. there is a version with unlimited credits but no difficulty level selection. I really don't know if it exist in AES format but knowing that could be nice.

DIX

Astra Superstar
if someone cares about, I have tested the first 2 stages for both versions and found any difference in terms of gameplay: same enemy sequences, same points awared, same extend, same portion of energy refilled by same items, same enemies damage etc etc

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
DIX said:
if someone cares about, I have tested the first 2 stages for both versions and found any difference in terms of gameplay: same enemy sequences, same points awared, same extend, same portion of energy refilled by same items, same enemies damage etc etc

Is this for Burning Fight? I've always wondered what the differences were between the two romsets that have been dumped. There's a number of other games that have multiple romsets in emulators, and I don't know what the differences are between any of those versions...

And thinking about something that hasn't been dumped, I'm pretty sure there's two versions of NAM-1975 - one where the demo loop cuts off after the high scores (this is dumped), and one where after the high scores it shows a gameplay demo. At least, I'm pretty sure I've seen a version with a gameplay demo, or am I imagining things?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
SuperGun said:
No doubt that several neo-geo games were indeed successfull enough that they had more then a single run made of them. And no doubt that changes here and there may have been implemented for the second runs. Games like the original World Heroes for example are among them.
What differs in the second version?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I always wanted a version B cart of Shock Troopers, as I think it makes the game a lot more fun if you HAVE to switch between characters. Sadly, I bought two MVS carts and they were both A. BBH, wanna swap for a version A cart? ;)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Buffi said:
I have the korean version of samurai spirits 2.
Saulabi Spirits it is called (notice the korean signs under the title also) :)

Apparently Saulabi is more or less a Korean Samurai so I guess it's a good translation

samsho2_2.jpg

edit: Boards look legit btw... worth anything?

That's basically the hacked version of Sam Shodown 2. It's completely legit, it is just edited for a Korean market. All Kanji is gone as is references to Japan (I believe)... also there shouldn't be any blood in that cart. Oddly, the Korean carts are normally red...

Large

, ,
BBH said:
Is this for Burning Fight? I've always wondered what the differences were between the two romsets that have been dumped. There's a number of other games that have multiple romsets in emulators, and I don't know what the differences are between any of those versions...

And thinking about something that hasn't been dumped, I'm pretty sure there's two versions of NAM-1975 - one where the demo loop cuts off after the high scores (this is dumped), and one where after the high scores it shows a gameplay demo. At least, I'm pretty sure I've seen a version with a gameplay demo, or am I imagining things?
Well, my home version displays a gameplay demo in the demo mode, so you are right with your suggestions. I never recognized that there are different Nam versions - maybe I had to check this out. Probably you don't, but do you know, if there is any other differences between those 2 versions?

Best Regards
Large

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's an in-game story for Magician Lord? That sucks I can't see it on my cart. I always wondered what was going on in that game.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I thought I would add something to this old thread that it seems some people have missed. It has been many years since I beat Mag Lord in the Arcade, in fact over 2 decades now, but I recall that Magician Lord MVS version vs AES version also had some gameplay tweaks done. The biggest one that comes to mind, is when facing the end boss that whips out the bubbles on you, where you have to shoot it in the middle of it's body when it opens up, (on Stage 5 I believe?), you can stand back on the MVS version, all the way to the left of the screen and dodge the bubbles easily by squatting and waiting for the proper time to jump up and shoot the middle of the enemy. On the AES version of the game, you cannot do this as the bubbles are either angled differently, or your character cannot go as far back to the left to avoid them entirely. So on the AES version you will be doing a little more dodging than on the MVS counterpart for that boss. I recall there might have been a few other tiny differences in gameplay similar to that, but I cannot recall exactly where they were. Either way, the MVS experience was different than my Home experience on some games ages ago, making it difficult for me to believe it was the same exact games.

Either way, interesting isn't it?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's more... so I made a synopsis not that long ago for those late to the party. Enjoy!

That is actually an intriguing topic with great archive values worth the risk of an elaboration...

Regarding Nam 1975, I could not find any verification on the Dr. R. Muckley matter. BBH is rather right, if he claims here ('02) that it's skill alone, that let's you see NAM's ending.

But here's the story so far...

1. Shito starts the topic of different romsets in '06: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...NeoGeo-games&p=1988059&viewfull=1#post1988059

It's mostly about Magician Lord, but also NAM get's two interesting remarks: the first by chrisr, concerning continues, second by Lord, nota bene two years later in '08, about a gameplay demo not present in one of the sets.

2. In '10, we have a comeback of the matter, again by Shito of course: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-answer-this&p=2950919&viewfull=1#post2950919

Not much changes, as in Mag Lord still steals the show, but SG donates us another info about NAM's alternating continue issue.

3. In 2011 comes Shito's definite thread on this subject: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ith-BIG-news&p=3135150&viewfull=1#post3135150

The NAM question though, rests unconfirmed.

4. Two years later, in 2013, we have another approach by James: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ian-Lord-AES&p=3503226&viewfull=1#post3503226

There's also a theme related and congenial list on JNX worth checking out here.

5. Finally, a semi-related thread occurs the same year ('13) in regard of the unlimited continues problem in SNK games in general: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...rds-question&p=3601177&viewfull=1#post3601177

And here's the last relevant NAM remark, or rather, a sort of confirmation of what has been already suspected. I quote:

"If you play in MVS mode, then you can just keep feeding it with credits (the last boss of NAM-1975 being an exception)."

So, the lesson seems clear: We still need a definite confirmation of the differences of both NAM '75 romsets, if there are any, and yes, this is a shout out to all you SNK Otakus out here. Deliver some answers... please ;).

Fakk2

I can confirm, there are AFAIK two sets of the NAM75 MVS cart. Both can be seen on the MVS Scans website (http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Nam_1975)

The first set, "Set 1" that SNK made which I own and can confirm 100%, is damn near impossible to beat as once you make it to the last boss with player one, if the boss goes into the house, and the big ass machine pops up, you have ONLY the lives on the screen that are remaining to beat that boss, and player two is GAME OVER instantly, so if player two does not join in by this point, your basically fucked. I even make sure to die and make my last continue right before the boss requires one last shot to crawl back into his chair and go into his house, (which I have basically 7 continues only on the final stage to use), and I still cannot beat this last boss with three men.

SNK saw this, I am pretty sure many complains came in so they made the second rom set which resides in the AES carts from what I can tell, and is also apparent on the MVS scans website as "Set 2", and this set allows the player two to join in at any time during the last fight to make the final fight just a little easier, even though you both only have the 3 men to fight with and no continues to use, even if player two never joins in until the final fight. I have come across quite a few MVS carts of NAM 1975, basically looking for a perfect sticker on both versions, and I only actually found two of the first set of roms on board, the rest of the carts were of the second rom set. I sold all but two carts, and both are of version "Set 1" roms. If anyone has the second set, and wants to test it out, let me know what you find. I think you will find my results were the same. The AES carts all have set 2 roms (US Carts), not sure about the JPN carts since I don't buy those. Anyone have the JPN carts and can confirm anything on this subject?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I even make sure to die and make my last continue right before the boss requires one last shot to crawl back into his chair and go into his house...

Wrong tactic. There's an extra life to grab in the last stage. I'm sure you're good enough to make Muckley's last change without getting hit and then this extension is invaluable. Regarding the confirming part though, I'll check on my NAM's today, thanks ;).

Fakk2

Wrong tactic. There's an extra life to grab in the last stage. I'm sure you're good enough to make Muckley's last change without getting hit and then this extension is invaluable. Regarding the confirming part though, I'll check on my NAM's today, thanks ;).

Thanks for the tactics tips, bro! I will play it today and look for the 1up. I take it that it is from blowing up one of the airplanes. I think that I have found it in the past, but, for some reason my dodging tactics are just not good enough for the last stage to get the 1up, then get to the end boss, kill both chicks tied up, and then beat the boss using 4 men, lol. The two chicks that you fight before the boss have super screwed up back and forth shooting that makes rolling not very easy. I can usually manage to get a super fast shooting machine gun and kill one chick before she leaves the post, but, then I have the other chick to deal with. My god that last stage kicks my ass!

Hey, thanks for testing out your carts as well, just so we can put this to rest finally after 25 years! lol! I tested my "Set 1" MVS carts, and both carts disallow player 2 to buy in once the last boss appears in the big rig death machine. My English AES cart allows player 2 to buy in at any point as long as I am not toally dead using my last life on the last boss. So, I know the Set 1 and 2 are different in that aspect, and I am going to be opening all my AES carts to take pics of all the boards and scan all the stickers, as I have done with many of the rare ones so far, so I will get to the NAM 75 cart asap and see what chips it has on it. ;) Thanks for your help!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
As this thread was brought back, I may add that I never had the chance to have an MVS copy of Fatal Fury until today.
Always had that game on AES.

After I popped up the cart on my MVS, I noticed the intro was shortened and there was also different tunes/sound loops.
I had to make use of the Unibios and put it back to AES mode just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

Never realized that there were differences between AES and MVS for this one.

Last edited:

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
As this thread was brought back, I may add that I never had the chance to have an MVS copy of Fatal Fury until today.
Always had that game on AES.

After I popped up the cart on my MVS, I noticed the intro was shortened and there was also different tunes/sound loops.
I had to make use of the Unibios and put it back to AES mode just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

Never realized that there were differences between AES and MVS for this one.

Interesting. I didn't know this either. Any chance you can get a video showing the two?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Thanks Liquid. That's bizarre, but kinda cool.

BEY

n00b
Two World Heroes version in Light Kick damage (no held pressed):

1.Light Kick normal damage (MVS)

2.Light Kick (NeoGeoX ROM dump)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Two World Heroes version in Light Kick damage (no held pressed):

1.Light Kick normal damage (MVS)

2.Light Kick (NeoGeoX ROM dump)

This is probably just do to shitty emulation.