hyper 64 in big red

jeff10

Kula's Candy
hyper 64 board

can i put this board in my dedicated 4 slot mvs big red cab, without any modifications, (eg, plug and play)

or can i or could someone make an adapter to switch from mvs to hyper 64

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
My mobo has a little switch on it that flips between Jamma and MVS - I think it's on ly the Rev2 mobos that have this tho.

First thing - check whether you have this.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
A revision 2 hyper motherboard will plug and play with no problems.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Don't the version 1 mobo's need special power harnesses that are non-jamma?

And version 2 is Jamma compatible?

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
I am trying to put a Hyper 64 in my candy cab, Rev 1. I read the sticky thread on it but am still a little confused.

- It says that as long as I can live with mono, I can hook it up via jamma and everything is fine. Thats good, I have a MVS/Jamma switch in my candy.

- If I did want to hook stereo audio up, what is the pinout on the stereo speakers? The cabling is:

1 pink 2 brown
3 black 4 gray

What does what on that harness?

- Finally, the issue about adding power. The ground cable is a no brainer, but on the sticky thread the manual is saying +5v is needed, then there are numerous follow up posts stating it needs -5v.

I am just a little confused and don't want to fry anything out.

Thanks in advance -dub

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Well I went ahead and hooked the stereo cable directly into my speakers, so all is well with stereo sound and that rules.

The unit powers up and runs fine as it stands. I haven't ran it over 20-30 minutes at a time because of the over heat warning regarding this +5/-5v confusion.

dubdubdub said:
- Finally, the issue about adding power. The ground cable is a no brainer, but on the sticky thread the manual is saying +5v is needed, then there are numerous follow up posts stating it needs -5v.

I am just a little confused and don't want to fry anything out.

Thanks in advance -dub

For the extra Power Supply Harness you need +5V only.

The -5V is used to power sound, and that comes from the JAMMA harness.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Dub,

The other cable that came with the board (at least I hope it did) that plugs into the front has the power. Attach the wires to the power supply, the black to ground and the red to the +5. Simple as that. When you switch the board out, you can leave the wires attached to the machine and just unplug them from the front of the board.

Hope this helps.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Grinwing said:
Dub,

The other cable that came with the board (at least I hope it did) that plugs into the front has the power. Attach the wires to the power supply, the black to ground and the red to the +5. Simple as that. When you switch the board out, you can leave the wires attached to the machine and just unplug them from the front of the board.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You know to be honest, I still haven't hooked that cable up and everything seems to be working fine. I think that the only potential problem is if I play for too long the thing might overhead?

SS64 is very underrated game IMO. If you haven't played Hyper64 and have a few $ to spend you should pick this thing up, it's worth the low price these things can be had for.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Glad to see all the info pop up for th NG64. I plan on picking up the Rev 2 board and the 4 fighters very soon and am still debating whether or not i want to buy a supergun or wire it up to my Big Red 4 slot. When i finally do pick them up i'll at least feel a little more confident about checking them out. :D

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sundance, if you pick up the Rev 2, you can plug and play in your big red. It has a switch for Jamma/MVS. No extra power or sound wires on that bad boy!