The Comic Book Thread

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Bruce Timm of Justice League/Superman animated series will be doing "Death of Superman"

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=4545

Scooper 'watchmen' wrote in from the San Diego Comic-Con with some good news for fans:

I was attending a Bruce Timm retrospective yesterday at Comic-Con and at the end of the panel they seemed to hint at a great new project that's yet to be anounced, "The Death of Superman"!

Throughout the Q&A people kept on asking about whether or not Timm would return to the DCUA universe and he kept denying rumors that the next project would be the New Frontier. Then at the very end of the event the light started dimming and everyone on stage acted like nothing was happening. Suddenly a Giant Red S dripping blood appeared on the big screens.

BT said that we should all expect an announcement real soon. Sounds like "The Death of Superman" to me.

Well I hope it's far better then what they did with Brainiac Attacks( was he even a part of that? )

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I got two Astonishing X-Men tpbs in the mail today, each covering 6 of the 12 first issues in the series. Pretty good stuff, I liked that they not only brought Collosus back but also had him perform the Fastball Special with Wolverine.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yung Burnout said:
Well I hope it's far better then what they did with Brainiac Attacks( was he even a part of that? )
No, Timm had nothing to do with it. They re-used his character model sheets, but he had no involvement.

About the Liefeld thing... you must have chose a lucky moment with that pic. His booth was crowded everytime I walked by it. I don't know how it happens, but he actually still has some fans.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
Anyone checkout the new Rival School comic? I need to know if it's any good.

PUNJABEE

Banned
SouthtownKid said:
No, Timm had nothing to do with it. They re-used his character model sheets, but he had no involvement.

About the Liefeld thing... you must have chose a lucky moment with that pic. His booth was crowded everytime I walked by it. I don't know how it happens, but he actually still has some fans.

I remember seeing his work on Xforce back in 92 started and thinking "wow, this guy draws cool". Then I started noticing the horrid figures, terrible symmetry and his 'shading' was hideous.

I dont know how that guy got hired. DIdn't he start drawing comics for Marvel when he was like 16?

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
FormlessOne said:
Anyone checkout the new Rival School comic? I need to know if it's any good.

Even though Rival Schools is a pretty cool game, prompting me to buy the comic, all I can think of after finishing the first issue is this, "meh". Although the fights scenes are pretty cool and the art isn't too bad, its the writing that really gets to me, which is a general nitpick that I have with all of Udon Comics since their quality of writing tends to be supbar

I know its mainly a fight comic but geez, can't you at least have some characterization at least? Or have the dialogue more "natural"?

H

hermegildo

Joe Quesada will be on the Colbert Report tonight.

Just a heads-up.

PUNJABEE

Banned
That reality show "Who Wants to be a SuperHero" starts tonite on Sci-Fi. I'm not positive, but I think it's going to be hosted by (or at least feature a lot of) Stan Lee.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
Joe Quesada will be on the Colbert Report tonight.

Just a heads-up.

That's an odd guest, but I will definitely watch.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Picked up the first Superman/Batman tpb. I love that book. Fantastic stuff. I think Clark and Bruce's interactions are one of the best things in comics.

Also got the last couple Amazing Spiderman issues, the rest of Infinite Crisis (except #4, which I can't find anywhere), Astonishing X-Men #14 (back issue) Batman #655 (Grant Morrison's first issue, good stuff so far) and the new Wizard.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
Picked up the first Superman/Batman tpb. I love that book. Fantastic stuff. I think Clark and Bruce's interactions are one of the best things in comics.
I liked the first one well enough... the second one, not so much...

But the third volume is far and away my favorite of the series. The story is as crazy as the first volume, but way more coherent, imo. History gets changed by some classic villains from the future in such a way that now Superman and Batman are dictators of the Earth. And it has so many great guests in it, from Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters to the Legion of Super-Heroes, all of them fighting Superman/Batman, not to mention a zombie JLA.

All that, and it has a connection to the classic Alan Moore final Superman story, 'Whatever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow?' (which if you haven't read, you should definitely check out... It closed out the story of the Silver/Bronze Age Superman to make room for the 1986 revamp. Some surprises and a lot of death...and a great story). For anyone looking to find that story, the easiest place is probably HERE. This book has all of Alan Moore's stories set in the normal DCU, including the legendary 'Killing Joke'.

H

hermegildo

I also read the first Superman/Batman trade a while ago and, while the story itself was kinda shitty, I'm with genji in that the monologues made it all worth it.

The first few pages alone were great reads.

I don't know, it seems like Loeb really knows his characters and what drives them but he's kinda hit or miss with the stories themselves. Hush was like that too, the story itself was messy and convoluted but the Batman monologues were great.

My opinion of McGuinness has improved ever since I read that book as well. His characters are a little too bulky maybe, but his action scenes are tops. He might do the Ultimates justice when he jumps onboard with Ultimates 4.

EDIT: I guess it's not a monologue if they're thinking it, but whatever.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Speaking of Ultimates, there's a rumor going around that Ultimates 4 might be released before Ultimates 3.

H

hermegildo

SouthtownKid said:
Speaking of Ultimates, there's a rumor going around that Ultimates 4 might be released before Ultimates 3.
Knowing Joe Mad and how lazy he is, I wouldn't be surprised.

They let Hitch take his sweet time though.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
DashK said:
comics now are so lame, seriously. what they did to spiderman is a fucking crime.

i'll stick to TPB's, 2.99 an issue is fucking robbery, the ishs are so fucking thin now, and they have the nerve to STILL have ads in them...

oldschool art owns this shit, hardcore, yeah it's got the shine and glitz now, but no soul. seriously, i was flipping thru x-men the other day, Jim Lee would roll in his grave, and again, spiderman looks like a fucking butt puppet, give me Erik Larson and McFarlane over any of these homos drawing spidey.

i miss the old days...

Though I sold my collection by force 6 years ago, I agree with this rant and is the reason I didn't restart collecting. I know that if I did, I would only be buying back issues until I had everything I used to have (3000+ books).

But my definition of old days differs from yours I suspect. I miss:

Joe Sinnott
Sal and John Buscema
Ron Frenz
Brett Breeding
Keith Pollard
Tom Palmer
Mark Farmer
Bill Sienkiewicz
Walt Simonson
George Perez
Ron Lim
Marc Silvestri

H

hermegildo

sQuareh4t3r said:
The work he did for the Venture Bros. season one DVD was awesome.
Hell fucking yeah.

What the fuck is Sienkiewicz doing now anyways?

George Perez, Ron Lim, Ron Frenz and Marc Silvestri still put out some stuff every now and then, I think.

I'm familiar with some of the other guys but I don't know what they're up to these days.

These days you get stuff that is a lot more varied and just as good.

Leinil Yu, Chris Bachalo and Eduardo Risso are a few of the great, very stylized contemporary comic book artists that come to mind. Then you have guys like Bryan Hitch and Adam Hughes that consistently put out awesome stuff (well, maybe not Hitch because of how late his shit is).

It's amazing how Jim Lee is still in the "penciller elite" after all these years, and I'm not saying that to knock him down, the guy is amazing.

McFarlane's and Larsen's stuff doesn't hold up as well.

I was flipping through one of those Marvel Visionaries about McFarlane and was pretty disgusted by the artwork.

Last edited:

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
SouthtownKid said:

I thought Ultimates 3 was being done by Joe Mad and Loeb, or is Millar and Hitch still continuing on to Ultimates 3? Or is it a different creative team altogether?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
K_Dash said:
I thought Ultimates 3 was being done by Joe Mad and Loeb, or is Millar and Hitch still continuing on to Ultimates 3? Or is it a different creative team altogether?
Yeah, 3 is Loeb ind Joe Mad. 4 is Loeb and Ed McGuiness. But McGuiness can keep a monthly schedule, while the last comic series Joe Mad worked on, a full year passed between the last two issues.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
George Perez's work on the Infinite Crisis was far from outstanding, unfortunately; I found myself literally groaning everytime I'd turn a page and see Superman of Earth-2, just because I knew I'd have to see Perez's outdated and out-of-place pencils.

Oh well, whatever.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
George Perez's work on the Infinite Crisis was far from outstanding, unfortunately; I found myself literally groaning everytime I'd turn a page and see Superman of Earth-2, just because I knew I'd have to see Perez's outdated and out-of-place pencils.

Oh well, whatever.
Are you sure you're not talking about Jerry Ordway? Either way, they were the two strongest artists on the book, imo. Jimenez and Reis are both good, but really had their ups and downs on this book... I'm assuming due to deadline issues.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
An Erik Larsen column on comic book sales and stuff:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20

Pretty good read.

That it is, hell I didn't think I'd be into fantasy comics but I bought a issue of Battle Chasers when ever it came out( even though I was prone to bitching about it being late ). I thought Sin City would be the only crime pulp comic I'd like but then came along The Ride and I pick that up every summer

plus one of my wet dreams came true =

DSC00835.JPG

Last edited:

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Hell fucking yeah.

What the fuck is Sienkiewicz doing now anyways?

George Perez, Ron Lim, Ron Frenz and Marc Silvestri still put out some stuff every now and then, I think.

I'm familiar with some of the other guys but I don't know what they're up to these days.

These days you get stuff that is a lot more varied and just as good.

Leinil Yu, Chris Bachalo and Eduardo Risso are a few of the great, very stylized contemporary comic book artists that come to mind. Then you have guys like Bryan Hitch and Adam Hughes that consistently put out awesome stuff (well, maybe not Hitch because of how late his shit is).

It's amazing how Jim Lee is still in the "penciller elite" after all these years, and I'm not saying that to knock him down, the guy is amazing.

McFarlane's and Larsen's stuff doesn't hold up as well.

I was flipping through one of those Marvel Visionaries about McFarlane and was pretty disgusted by the artwork.

It's just that my favorite comic eras were the 70's and early to mid 90's.

Lots of great art and old-fashioned slugfests. In particular, I would buy any book, regardless of what it was if Joe Sinnott was the inker. Truly, the best of all time.

Anyone who read Fantastic Four issues of the 70's or Thor issues of the 90's would understand. Thor particularly when Ron Frenz and Joe Sinnott teamed up. It felt like a return to the sixties. Simply beautiful art and wonderful stories.