The Comic Book Thread

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Just read Civil War #3

normally i dont like these HUGE company cross over books but FUCK this book is amazing. Millar is doing such a good job on it.

and..............

*SPOILERS!!!*

THOR COMING BACK! It kinda sucks though because i saw the variant cover and i was like....why is Thor on there? hes been gone for awhile....lame move by Marvel.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
I was reading up on Toxin in wikipedia (he's pretty lame, I guess) and found out that there's actually a She-Venom.

Comics can be pretty wacky sometimes.

There was also another one from a year or so ago, in the last short lived Venom series during the "Twist" storyline

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
wookiewombat said:
Just read Civil War #3

normally i dont like these HUGE company cross over books but FUCK this book is amazing. Millar is doing such a good job on it.
You're a halfwit, just so you know.

I guarantee 90% of the shit that happens in Civil War will be retconned out of existence within a year, so don't blow your money on that crap. Seriously.

And Thor registering? That has to be one of the worst examples of character motivation I have ever seen. If you actually think about it instead of letting the 'shock' of it rattle your brain, you'd realize what I mean.

Whatever.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
sQuareh4t3r said:

I guarantee 90% of the shit that happens in Civil War will be retconned out of existence within a year, so don't blow your money on that crap. Seriously.

And Thor registering? That has to be one of the worst examples of character motivation I have ever seen. If you actually think about it instead of letting the 'shock' of it rattle your brain, you'd realize what I mean.

Whatever.

He hasn't actually registered.

Of course a lot of it will end up being retconned out, that's what happens in comics. If it didn't, DC wouldn't have to revamp its entire universe every 10 years or so.

By the way, what monthly DC books would you suggest? I read the new Detective Comics the other day and I really liked Paul Dini's story and the artist (I can't recall his name) is pretty good too.

sQuareh4t3r

The Infinite Crisis wasn't so much a retcon as it was a reboot, and it wasn't even really that.

It was just a way to trim off the fraying threads and launch a few new series that will probably kick ass in the end. I mean, the death of the Blue Beetle was perhaps one of the most shocking things I've personally read in comics in nearly a decade, and it still haunts me every time I close my eyes and see Max Lord putting one in Ted Kord's dome. Moments like that are what great crossovers are made of, and I don't foresee Civil War having many like it.

But as far as good DC titles go, it's sorta hard to say. My pull list is full of junk, I'd say, but pick up anything I grabbed this week and you'd probably be happy, benji. I'm especially enthralled with the new Aquaman stuff (and the One Year Later push saved the title from cancellation, for good reason). Grant Morrison's run on Batman begins next week, I believe, so nobody should miss that. "What do you get when you add one Batman, fifty Ninja Man-Bats and the British Prime Minister's wife?" Fucking awesome.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
sQuareh4t3r said:

Whatever.
of course its gonna fucking go back to nothing in a year. You cannot be a comic fan and not realize that. Ive been reading comics for over 15 years and heavy collectiong for about 8. I know all this shit man. Im just a fanboy at heart though. Reading comics for me is taking me into a fantasy world and forgetting about all the bullshit drama that i have in my life. I dont get all tangeled up in "oh god, the story that i just spend $45 on is gonna be useless in a year" I know its true but the stories are fun man, and thats what i think its all about.

Sure Thor registering was a bad characterization move on Millars part but if youve read Civil War you will see that most of the chracters he is writing in that book seem very OUT of chracter, look at the New Warriors. Hes writing them a lot different then what they are.

and for DC books,

find back issues of Gotham Central, you will not be disappointed.

sQuareh4t3r

wookiewombat said:
of course its gonna fucking go back to nothing in a year. You cannot be a comic fan and not realize that. Ive been reading comics for over 15 years and heavy collectiong for about 8. I know all this shit man. Im just a fanboy at heart though. Reading comics for me is taking me into a fantasy world and forgetting about all the bullshit drama that i have in my life. I dont get all tangeled up in "oh god, the story that i just spend $45 on is gonna be useless in a year" I know its true but the stories are fun man, and thats what i think its all about.

Sure Thor registering was a bad characterization move on Millars part but if youve read Civil War you will see that most of the chracters he is writing in that book seem very OUT of chracter, look at the New Warriors. Hes writing them a lot different then what they are.
But it shouldn't be nothing like that. If it is, it's due to an ineffectual and incompetent editorial staff (read: Joe Quesada).

Huge crossovers are supposed to mean something, not just sell issues. Marvel's got the sales, though, so fuck any kind of passion for the craft or the company, right?

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
sQuareh4t3r said:
But it shouldn't be nothing like that. If it is, it's due to an ineffectual and incompetent editorial staff (read: Joe Quesada).

Huge crossovers are supposed to mean something, not just sell issues. Marvel's got the sales, though, so fuck any kind of passion for the craft or the company, right?
yeah, you are right. Look at how well Civil War is selling too right now, selling out left and right. A lot more then Infinite Crisis did and DC has a strong tie with their continuity and they do not fuck it up like Marvel does all the time. So you know DC is going to stick with the aftermatch from Infinite Crisis. 52 is hit and miss with me though right now. All the Montoya issues im digging a lot but the steel ones i cannot stand. Elongated Man's stories are ok too...but the story is kinda lame.

Going back..look at Crisis on Infinite Earths. Everyone done with that book is STILL fucking relevent in todays DC Continuity.

Marvel has always had an issue with that, especially recently. They're just trying to sell some books, look at how fucking lame House of M was. It started out good with a decent concept but just went down the shitter. the whole 198 thing was stupid, the 8,000 mini series and variant covers they put out for them. its just like fuck..stop it already. I prefer to read Marvel books that stay within their own universe, like mainly daredevil, runaways and the ultimate series. and now they're bringing my DD and Runaways books into Civil War...

sQuareh4t3r

wookiewombat said:
yeah, you are right. Look at how well Civil War is selling too right now, selling out left and right. A lot more then Infinite Crisis did and DC has a strong tie with their continuity and they do not fuck it up like Marvel does all the time. So you know DC is going to stick with the aftermatch from Infinite Crisis. 52 is hit and miss with me though right now. All the Montoya issues im digging a lot but the steel ones i cannot stand. Elongated Man's stories are ok too...but the story is kinda lame.

Going back..look at Crisis on Infinite Earths. Everyone done with that book is STILL fucking relevent in todays DC Continuity.

Marvel has always had an issue with that, especially recently. They're just trying to sell some books, look at how fucking lame House of M was. It started out good with a decent concept but just went down the shitter. the whole 198 thing was stupid, the 8,000 mini series and variant covers they put out for them. its just like fuck..stop it already. I prefer to read Marvel books that stay within their own universe, like mainly daredevil, runaways and the ultimate series. and now they're bringing my DD and Runaways books into Civil War...
The Infinite Crisis was beautiful, a work of art unto itself. After reading through it many, many times, there are only a few hiccups with continuity in regards to other series and events that were happening concurrently (namely Captain Atom's return). If you think about it, that's nearly goddamn impossible, but DiDio and staff are very dedicated to the universe they've created and the characters that inhabit it. While that might not necessarily garner top sales, it at least shows you that there's a bit of integrity left in the industry, and that you can think of your fans and create something that has an impact and long-lasting repercussions for years and years to come. As such, I have no problem forking my money over for issues that are pertinent, well-written, and engaging (though the Brave New World minis are going to be stressing my wallet quite a bit). Joe Quesada and Marvel, though... I just get a bit pissed off when I fancy the thought of picking up things that have no significance or impact other than to make their marks go "WOWOWOWOWOW! THOR!" or whatever.

As far as 52 goes, it's really hard to judge what it's going to mean right now. After all, there are still, what, 41 more weeks to go? I've been rather satisfied thus far (especially since I paid up front and bought a subscription), and the overall concept is really quite enjoyable. The cast of characters is great, especially for DC's 'B-list', and the team of writers are some of the best out there. The way everything ties in from Identity Crisis to the Countdowns to the actual Crisis to 52 to One Year Later is really fantastic, and the level of creativity shown by DC in this past year or so really makes me look forward to each Wednesday as the high point of my week.

So sure, buy Civil War if you enjoy it. I'm not going to say otherwise. I just don't want anyone fooling themselves into thinking it's something bigger than it is, because if you've been around the block with comics you know the drill.

H

hermegildo

*SPOILERS*

I didn't even know Thor was gone. The ending of CW#3 didn't shock me as much because of it.

*/SPOILERS*

The book is alright.

They're trying to tell a huge story about the whole Marvel universe in seven issues and it's just not enough. Some of the characterization seems out of place as well, I don't know why Reed is being such an asshole to Sue.

I'm just buying it to see what the hell happens.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Can anyone tell me what the Conan comics by Dark Horse are like? The idea of an unstoppable barbarian killing machine sounds good, but so do a lot of things.

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
Man, I haven't had time to go to the comic shop until today. I picked up Civil War #3, Conan #30, Witchblade #100, and The Escapists.

Civil War-So far, so good, Marvel's crossover hasn't disappointed me yet. Although it is strange to see Mr. Thunder God come back, even wierder to find out that he's on the pro-registration side. Good read so far

Conan #30- In the middle of Mignola's run, and he's doing a hell of a bang up job with Conan. Taking an outline that Howard was going to use, and Mignola does a good job expanding it, while still putting his own unique spin on it.

Witchblade- Wow, this might be the beginning of the changing of the guard with the Witchblade. I just hope the new creative team can keep up the same quality when Ron Marz was writing it.

Escapists- Coming in, I wasn't too sure on what to expect, but since it's written by Brian K. Vaughn, I just had to check it out. So far it seems solid, i'll be sticking with this for a while.

genjiglove said:
Can anyone tell me what the Conan comics by Dark Horse are like? The idea of an unstoppable barbarian killing machine sounds good, but so do a lot of things.

Well, he's not exactly unstoppable but a badass barbarian nonetheless, doing what real men used to do; drinking, fighting, thieving, getting laid, and more fighting. Conan is more of a pulp fiction type character, travelling around the lands and getting into fantastical adventures. If you want, you can pick up the current arc with Mignola (its only a 3 issue arc), or wait for Truman to take over if you want to get into it.

Last edited:

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
How much can I get for a Charleston-Bullseye #1 (first appearance of Blue Beetle and Question!)? Probably not a lot, I gather.

How about Man-Thing #1?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
hermegildo said:
I finally got to read all six Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers and my only complaint (aside from the teenage drama/super hero shit ratio) was how Gwen got taken out of the picture.

Too small, especially compared to the original story

Yeah I hated that crap too. They were building something there and just decided to drop it. Upset me a whole lots.

Oh, OMG a comic book thread!!!! Makes me realize how much catching up I have to do. Haven't bought anything since like April or May. I was just gearing up for Wolverine Origins too. Speaking of which is it any good?

I was reading:

Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine
Wolverine
Astonishing X-Men
Teen Titans
Superman/Batman
Street Fighter

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Mark of the Wolves said:
I was reading:

Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine
Wolverine
Astonishing X-Men
Teen Titans
Superman/Batman
Street Fighter

Looks a lot like my monthly list. Just so you know there hasn't been another issue of Wolverine vs. Hulk released yet.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I was shocked to see a re-re-release of The Spirit by Will Eisner.

I have the re-issues that came out in 1975, and many have been read so much that they are beginning to fall apart.

The original came out in the '40's and it maintains the style prevalent and stories of the day - good stuff and lots of class.

I picked up the softcover, as it was only $15 and I hate it that I'm getting close to the end. Maybe it's Lone Wolf and Cub syndrome, I hate knowing that I've almost finished the book. :crying:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I was shocked to see a re-re-release of The Spirit by Will Eisner.

I have the re-issues that came out in 1975, and many have been read so much that they are beginning to fall apart.

The original came out in the '40's and it maintains the style prevalent and stories of the day - good stuff and lots of class.

I picked up the softcover, as it was only $15 and I hate it that I'm getting close to the end. Maybe it's Lone Wolf and Cub syndrome, I hate knowing that I've almost finished the book. :crying:

I've been meaning to get the book that was written about him before he passed

20pyl55.jpg

And no likes Rob, man that had to be harsh

Last edited:

sQuareh4t3r

You know you've hit rock-bottom when even the hecklers decide you're not worth the time or effort. :crying: