The Comic Book Thread

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I must be one of the weirdos out there. I don't read any superhero comics really. What I do read though is just about anything by Archaia Studio Press. They have some really kick ass stuff out right now that is original. Mouseguard, The Secret History, and The Killer are about as good as it gets for me. Those are some kick ass comics.
I suggest for any people who like stories that take place in medieval times to check out Northlanders by vertigo. It is really, really, good.
I also liked Repo, which is a comic by Image that recently got a TPB release.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I actually liked the first Secret Invasion. Millar and Hitch on Fantastic Four is pretty cool too.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
so after reading Secret Invasion....thoroughly impressed. Didn't expect alot to happen in issue #1 but it started out great. In an interview with Bendis he said they come out and swinging, and it did deliver. I just hope the action escalates and keeps getting better. Anyone else like it?

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
didn't read the thread, too much pages but i hope and if nobody did then i will...bring up my favorite comic growing up as a kid, THE SAVAGE DRAGON. If ya hadn't read it yet your missing out on a great comic. What sets this comic from the rest is that it's written and drawn by the same guy for over 10yrs since it's debut. Erik Larsen.

ya'll should really check it out. It's something serious.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Morrison's Doom Patrol #40 is the most hilariously disturbing thing I've ever seen.

On a related note: I'm an official Morrison ultra-fanboy.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Does anyone read G.I. Joe: America's Elite? The WWIII storyline and art is great, imo.

aria

Former Moderator
BUMP:

Read Superman: Red Son. Liked it a lot. Not a huge fan of traditional super heroes, but the concept of this one seemed as interesting as Dark Knight Returns, and I was satisfied. Only the very, very end was a little bit dicey because it seems to forget the pages immediately previous.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
whats the best looking limited edition comic books over the last 2 years, variants, chrome and transparent plastic covers

Marvel, Image or DC

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well after Spins thread last week about The Maxx I went out and got the first 3 TPBs. Which only makes me angrier that there is no official DVD release for the MTV series.

I also picked up Planet Hulk HC.

I was going to get The Punisher: Max vol. 3 HC but the cover was ripped,:mad: maybe next week.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Reading some Ultimate Spiderman right now. I have so much reading to catch up to...

Well after Spins thread last week about The Maxx I went out and got the first 3 TPBs. Which only makes me angrier that there is no official DVD release for the MTV series.

I also picked up Planet Hulk HC.

I was going to get The Punisher: Max vol. 3 HC but the cover was ripped,:mad: maybe next week.

Planet Hulk is an excellent read if you don't take it out of context.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
BUMP:

Read Superman: Red Son. Liked it a lot. Not a huge fan of traditional super heroes, but the concept of this one seemed as interesting as Dark Knight Returns, and I was satisfied. Only the very, very end was a little bit dicey because it seems to forget the pages immediately previous.

Red Son was a good one. Right now I've picked up Killing Joke (Batman) again. You may like this one as well.

Other than that I'm back to collecting "The Maxx" comics.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I got back into comics while I was in Iraq. A buddy of mine back in the states downloaded a planet hulk torrent and CDisplay and gave it to me so i'd have something to read. I never thought it'd totally change my fuckin life and get me hooked on comics again.

About a week after I got back from Iraq I spent 90 dollars on comics. And just about every week I go and see what else I can waste my money on.

Some notable graphic novels i've picked up in the past month or so are:
Planet Hulk
World War Hulk
World War Hulk Xmen
World War Hulk Frontline
Avengers The Initiative
Halo
Silver Surfer Requiem
Wolverine Origins: Our war
Ghost Rider: Apocalypse Soon
Fantastic Five: The Final Doom
Fantastic Four: First Family

And I've got a load of individual issues that i just bought too that i'm not about to post.

On the base they sometimes sell graphic novels with special issues or first issues of other comics and then charge less than the regular price(some kind of military special or something). My WWH Frontline came with King Size Hulk and Avengers the Initiative came with Secret Invasion #1(2nd printing variant cover). They were both like around 22 bucks but I paid like 17.

I'm also dling a gang of them via torrents(lol i know i know) but believe me, I buy what I dl. Its just hard for me to find up to date issues over here sometimes because the on base department store doesn't update their issues as fast and often as a dedicated store would However I just found one about 45-50 minutes from me near the border of France that sells American and European Comics.

I'm also getting back to the Maxx in a big way. I downloaded the entire Mtv series via torrent plus all of the comics. and I'm bout to spend some major bucks on the comics as well(which is gonna be a long hard journey).

I tell you, getting back in to comics is like rediscovering something awesome that I just totally left behind. I feel like i'm 11 years old again.

p.s. Anybody read Thing vs Hulk Hardknocks? Is it as boring as some people say it is?

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I'm also getting back to the Maxx in a big way. I downloaded the entire Mtv series via torrent plus all of the comics. and I'm bout to spend some major bucks on the comics as well(which is gonna be a long hard journey).

I've found the graphic novels, but I'm still collecting the individual issues. So far I think I'm good up to issue #22. Try to get the different issue 1's. They've got one with a cool glow in the dark cover.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I've found the graphic novels, but I'm still collecting the individual issues. So far I think I'm good up to issue #22. Try to get the different issue 1's. They've got one with a cool glow in the dark cover.

Yeah I'm not settling for the graphic novels. I most def gonna get the glow in the dark joint.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
What's your guys opinion on X-Force? it looks interesting but they don't have any copies of it here for me to see for myself.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Nope, thats all I know for now. Then again i'm the last guy to be asking. I'm just coming back to comics my damn self.

p.s. Secret Invasion has like 7 million variant covers for each fuckin issue. How the fuck am I supposed to pay my bills?

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Hey Lone wolf, this totally slipped my mind but look for the Julie Bell variant of "Skaar: Son of Hulk". Julie Bell is a fantasy artist and the wife of the famous fantasy artist Boris Vallejo. The cover is BADASS! it has a retro feeling cuz its looks like the cover of a Golden Axe game or something.

Last edited:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I've never even noticed this thread before :(

Got into comics in 06, mainly because of playing MUA, since then i've read alot of stuff and enjoy collecting the AMAZING bowen statues.

I mainly read Graphic Novels and TPB's, not really in to buying single comics and i'm patient enough to wait for collections com out.

Fave stuff i have read so far are:

Cable & Deadpool - Got the entire run in TPB form, just an awesome series imo.

Annihilation/Conquest - Still waiting on the 2nd Conquest book, thought it was an amazing series.

Planet Hulk/ WWH - Everything been said about these the definitive hulk read?

Amazing Spider-man/Friendly Neighbour hood/Marvel Knights - Released 3 times a month now under Amazing Spider-man, started reading from when they did Volume 2, gotta love spidey!

Ghost Rider - Ongoing Series is really cool, Road to Damnation and Trail of Tears are 6 issue serries really worth picking up.

Civil War - i know people didn't like the changes but i thought it was pretty fresh and whats better than Ironman and Cap fighitng?

Infinity Gauntlet/Wars - omgz this is just everything i love about Marvel, i want Adam Warlocks babys. seriously.

Also reading New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Daredevil, Captain Marvel ( Genis Vell ), Thunderbolts, Immortal Ironfist and Moon Knight. Also got alot of 1 shots and 5/6 issue series, basically anything that interests me i'll read.

I probably reading stuff now more than gaming, and tbh i'm enjoying comics alot more, and it shows cause %75 of my money goes to buying Comic related stuff.

Last 2 weeks i have had: ( all TPB's and HC's )

Mighty Avengers Vol 2 HC
Marvel Team Up Vol 1 & 2
Black Panther Vol 1 (2006)
Amazing Spoider-man Brand New Day Vol 1 HC
Captain Marvel Vol 1, 2 and 3 ( 2003 )
Marvel Mangaverse Vol 1
Secret Wars
Marvel 1602
Zombie Simon Garth (MAXX)
Civil War What If?
Sentry Vol 1

As you can see its pretty much what i do to relax these days.

Happy to give opinions on anything i have read :emb:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
From your list it's really easy to see how much better of a job Marvel does in getting their TPBs and hardcovers out and promoted than DC does.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
From your list it's really easy to see how much better of a job Marvel does in getting their TPBs and hardcovers out and promoted than DC does.

Its probably due to the fact also that most DC Characters, i don't really like lol

I really don't like Superman, Batman is cool, The Flash is cool....everyone else i know of i have no interest in what so ever.