The Comic Book Thread

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Finished the first two chapters of The Sandman.

Starting on The Doll's House soon.

Need to start on TMNT soon.

Read a bunch of the Crumb books I have.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
Herme tells me to stay away from All Star Batman & Robin, what do you think STK? Or AS Superman for that matter.
All-Star Batman is really love it or hate it. I hate it. It's Frank Miller's second 'fuck you' to the comic industry (the first being DK2 a few years ago). Jim Lee does some good work, but the story goes nowhere and the characters are big nothings. I'll check it out when they do a trade paperback; maybe it reads better all together.

I like All-Star Superman, but I don't think that would be for everyone, either. Its main draw is the bizarre, drug induced concepts by Morrison and a Superman who is way too powerful, like he was back in the Silver Age.

genjiglove said:
Also, they say Daredevil is better now than it has been in years. What's so good about it?
The story and art. The book starts from where the last writer (Bendis) left it, with Daredevil's identity having been revealed, and Daredevil being in Ryker's awaiting trial (maneuvered there by a Fed who hates him). Even though he's continued lying and claiming not to be Daredevil (which nobody believes), and even though he actually is a blind man (which nobody believes), he's put into general population with a bunch of people who want to kill him, like Kingpin, the Owl, and Hammerhead. When one of Daredevil's friends is fatally stabbed after a prison visit, Matt Murdock starts to lose it.

Lots of prison violence ensues, and Daredevil slides closer to not caring what happens to him anymore. Reading about it in the papers, Punisher purposely kills a pimp in front of some cops so he can get himself sent in there as well, and watch Murdock's meltdown. Oh yeah, and Bullseye gets transferred back to Ryker's also, all strapped into a Hannibal Lecter restraint thing. Finally, in the newest issue (part five of the story), a prison-wide riot has erupted. Next issue concludes the story.

The art is by Michael Lark, who previously had done the excellent 'Gotham Central' and some of the flashback sequences in the new Captain America series. You just have to see it here to believe it. The combination of him and colorist D'Armata is amazing.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Any of you read Hate?

buddy2.jpg

Buddy Bradley ftw.

H

hermegildo

What's 52 about anyway?

I know it comes out every week and that major shit is happening in the series (Clark gets fired?) but is there something that's tying these seemingly random events together or not?

Is it worth checking out?

Also, is the Ghost Rider series by Ennis and Crain any good?

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
What's 52 about anyway?

I know it comes out every week and that major shit is happening in the series (Clark gets fired?) but is there something that's tying these seemingly random events together or not?

It's one of those you either like it or hate it as it seems to dip from issue to issue, I've heard one issue will be great while the next one looses focus and goes all over the place

hermegildo said:

Yes it's one of the few marvel books I pick up

wookiewombat said:
but i dont think the team in Astonishing is apart of regular Marvel continuity...

They are in regular continuity it's just Whedon likes to have them stay in their own lil zone so to speak

PUNJABEE

Banned
hermegildo said:
What's 52 about anyway?

I haven't read any, but I know it takes place during the 1 year after Infinite Crisis, Batman, Wonderwoman and Superman are 'gone' or something. I think they all decide to pull a Peter Parker and stop being heroes.

Apparently it centers around Black Adam, Booster Gold (wtf?) and some other people.

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
hermegildo said:
What's 52 about anyway?

Punjabee pretty much hit it on the head with 52, its supposed to revolve around the lesser known characters, in which Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman are supposedly gone for good in the DCU.

As for the Ghost Rider series, it started out good, but as it went on, the focus was more on the secondary characters and not on Ghost Rider himself, he's the fucking Ghost of Vengeance, he's supposed to be dispensing justice on the wicked, not play second fiddle to a bunch of nobody's.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
What's 52 about anyway?

I dropped it as of last week, and I feel much happier about life in general. Maybe I'll regret it at some point, but I doubt it. You can just read it in the store...takes about 3-5 minutes.

Most of the comics I buy to keep are things I know I will re-read at some point in my life, which is why I buy so many trades and hardcovers. Every week it was becoming more clear there was nothing happening in 52 interesting enough to read again. I can think of hundreds of series I would rather have a 50 issue run of, than '52.'

H

hermegildo

Based on what I've read here, I think I'll pass on 52.

I finally got to read all six Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers and my only complaint (aside from the teenage drama/super hero shit ratio) was how Gwen got taken out of the picture.

Too small, especially compared to the original story.

I'll probably pick up those Daredevil HCs since my opinion of Bendis has improved a ton having read his Ultimate Spider-Man stuff (not that I didn't think very highly of him already).

I'll probably check out Ultimate X-Men as well.

Also, if anyone hasn't read Fables yet, I suggest you go to the comic book store and get some of those trades right now.

Great, great stuff.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
How many monthly series would you guys say you buy in per month? I looked at all the books I'd be interested in monthly and it came out to like 20 of them, which seems like a lot. So if I could get some opinions from you guys on the others, perhaps I could narrow down my choices. I trust you guys opinions more than most when it comes to stuff like this.

Marvel: Amazing Spiderman, Astonishing X-Men, Capt. America, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, Sensational Spiderman, Ultimate Spidey FF and X-Men, and Wolverine Origins.

DC: Action Comics, Batman, Superman, Superman/Batman, Detective Comics and Green Lantern.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let's see on teh book I get

Marvel -
Amazing Spider-Man / Sensational Spider-Man / Astonishing X-Men / what ever X title Chris Bachalo is on / Civil War

DC -
Ion / Green Lantern / Green Lantern Corps / Batman / Detective / American Virgin / DMZ / The Exterminators / Bite Club

Image -
Savage Dragon / The Ride / Body Bags / Hysteria

other -
G.I. Joe: America's Elite / Street Fighter II / Rival Schools / Local / Continuity / Hack/Slash / Dead @17

The sad thing is I feel I'm missing a couple from my pull box

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
In the last month or so, I've been trying to trim my pull list to titles that I consider 'Must Reads'. Comics are an expensive hobby (ironic since its on a Neo Geo forum), and shelling out 2.99 per comic really does put a strain on my wallet. So far, this is my definitive pull list.

Marvel-
Civil War/ The Ultimates/ Astonishing X-Men/ Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk

DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm-
American Way/ The Exterminators

Image-
Invincible/ Walking Dead/ Fear Agent/ Fell/ Savage Dragon/ Witchblade

Dark Horse-
Hellboy/ BPRD/ Conan

Other-
Kabuki/ Wasteland

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The regular comics I buy off the stands are extremely limited now. I wait for trade or hardcover for nearly everything, except:

Daredevil -- great read

Legion of Super-Heroes -- pretty good and a nostalgic favorite. Most comic fans have one book or character they stick with through good times and bad, and this is mine. Hasn't been easy at times, but I like the new series.

Love & Rockets -- best currently running American comic book, imo, although I wouldn't say it was very new reader-friendly.

And at least a couple weeks out of the month, I'll try some small independent or self-published book. A lot of them are crap, but every once in a while I'll find something like 'Strangehaven', or 'Maniac Killer Strikes Again!', which will become an all-time favorite. Keeping hope alive...

When new series come out, I'll usually try the first couple issues...just long enough to decide if I want to buy the trade when it's released. For example... Green Lantern Corps: yes. Flash: no.

H

hermegildo

They don't write the Flash in the comics like they do in the Justice League cartoon do they?

That's a damn shame, Justice League Flash is awesome.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i buy way too many fucking comics, some of my favorites right now are:

DMZ - Excellent Vertigo book by Brian Wood about NYC being destroyed

American Virgin - Another amazing Vertigo book about a preacher kid who preaches virginity and his girlfriend gets killed by terrorist

Daredevil - Bendis' and Maleevs run fucking floored me, but Brubaker and Larks has almost passed it already. Its so good

Captain America - Ive always hated the whole boyscout Cap that ive been use to, but this is not it. Brubaker is doing another amazing job on this book too

Walking Dead - Has anyone here read #29 that just came out? If so, did anyone get the chills while reading it? So fucking dark!

Invincible - Another great Kirkman book and always consistantly solid, i just wish it came out on a better schedule

Batman - With Paul Dini doing Detective Comics right now and Grant Morrion hitting up Batman right. Im very stoked on this character and where they are going to take him

Ill admit that i kind of like 52. Its a cool idea and i think its executed very well by some of the best writers in the business today.

With Meltzer hitting up JLA is gonna be awesome too, that guy can write a fucking fine comic if you ask me. I actully kinda liked Flash #1, still not sure on who is going to be Flash though. If Bart is gonna take over or they're gonna keep Jay Garrick.

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
wookiewombat said:
i buy way too many fucking comics, some of my favorites right now are:

Walking Dead - Has anyone here read #29 that just came out? If so, did anyone get the chills while reading it? So fucking dark!

Invincible - Another great Kirkman book and always consistantly solid, i just wish it came out on a better schedule

Woohoo, another Kirkman fan. I agree on Walking Dead 29, I would of never thought the series couldn't get any more darker, but 29 proves can move into a more darker and brutal direction. Even though she's not exactly 'sane', you do feel the brutality she is going through.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
K_Dash said:
Woohoo, another Kirkman fan. I agree on Walking Dead 29, I would of never thought the series couldn't get any more darker, but 29 proves can move into a more darker and brutal direction. Even though she's not exactly 'sane', you do feel the brutality she is going through.
the part that made me cringe was when she said

"Im not cryin for me, Im crying for you"

One of my favorite books, next to Y: The Last Man of course.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
id pick up the first TPB, only $9.99 brand new and probably a lot cheaper on amazon.com

but if you just jump in right now without reading the others..you will be confused as fuck.

Theres a hardcover coming out tomorrow *wednesdays comic day* collecting 1-12 for $29.99

i recommend that

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Went to the store again today and picked up:

Civil War #3 (I was still on the fence about this crossover after the first two issues, but I loved #3. I won't spoil it but the ending was great. I highly recommend it.)

Ultimate X-Men #72 (haven't read this one yet)

Infinite Crisis #1&2 (These seem cool but I wasn't really sure what was going on sometimes probably due to my lack of knowledge of the DC Universe outside of the major characters)

All Star Batman & Robin #1 (not nearly as bad as some have said)

All Star Superman #1 (I really liked this)

Batman & Superman #28 (the first issue of this I've read, I liked it)

Justice League #0 (This was great)

The Walking Dead #29 (had no idea what was going on, but it seemed pretty cool. I had my local store's owner order the first tpb for me)

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
All Star Batman & Robin #1 (not nearly as bad as some have said)
The next three issues consist of Batman and Robin driving back to the batcave.

No joke.

I'll be picking up Civil War tomorrow and a few more trades probably.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
The next three issues consist of Batman and Robin driving back to the batcave.

No joke.

I'll be picking up Civil War tomorrow and a few more trades probably.

I suggest JLA #0, if you are into that at all.

Have you been picking up any of the Civil War offshoots like Civil War: X-men or any of the regular titles that are involved?

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
Have you been picking up any of the Civil War offshoots like Civil War: X-men or any of the regular titles that are involved?
Nah.

I picked up an Amazing Spider-Man tie-in during the whole unmasking thing, but I'll probably stick to the main series from now on.

I think I'll get the first two Superman/Batman trades tomorrow.

PUNJABEE

Banned
This isn't really comic book related, but has anyone heard of that new upcoming series "Heroes"? It's gonna be on NBC.

I just watched the pilot episode tonite and it was really cool. Too bad it doesn't come out till sometime this Fall. It really sets up what looks like will be a great show, with no campiness whatsoever.