The Comic Book Thread

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The New Justice League America is pretty good so far. I mean come on.....Fuckin' Lobo!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Joan Lee, wife of Stan Lee passes away

The pair, who met when the Marvel boss was supposed to take her friend on a date, were married for 69 years.

Joan Lee, the wife of Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee, died Thursday in Los Angeles. She was 95.

"I can confirm the sad news that Joan Lee passed away this morning quietly and surrounded by her family," a spokesperson for Stan Lee and his family said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "The family ask that you please give them time to grieve and respect their privacy during this difficult time."

Joan Lee suffered a stroke earlier in the week and was hospitalized, according to sources.

The British former hat model and Lee were married on Dec. 5, 1947, and were by all accounts hopelessly devoted to each other. They had two children: J.C. (Joan Celia), who was born in 1950, and Jan, who died three days after her birth in 1953.

Marvel paid tribute to her in a statement on Thursday: "We are so saddened to hear about the loss of Joan Lee. We lost a member of the Marvel family today and our thoughts and prayers go out to Stan and his daughter Joan in this difficult time."

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
may she rest in peace. i remember watching a video of her explaining how she met stan. apparently she was married at the time to some doctor or something and left the guy to be with stan. she seemed very supportive of him. i hope her family is doing ok.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Len Wein passes away at 69

Len Wein, the award-winning writer and editor, perhaps best known for co-creating Swamp Thing for DC Comics and Wolverine for Marvel Comics, along with editing Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons Watchmen, passed away Sunday, according to multiple industry reports including word of the news from fellow comics veteran Paul Kupperberg. He was 69 years old.

Wein got his start in comics in 1968 working on DC's Teen Titans #18. His first Marvel work came in Daredevil #71 in 1970. From there, he continued writing anthology stories for both publishers, along with guest-spots on such titles as Superman and The Flash.

Together with Bernie Wrightson, they created the supernatural superhero Swamp Thing in 1971's The House of Secrets #92. Swamp Thing would go on to star in various ongoing and miniseries that continue to this day. Wein also contributed to the Man-Thing mythos over at Marvel by introducing the concept of Whoever Knows Fear Burns at the Man-Thing's Touch.

During Wein's tenure at Marvel, he teamed with artists John Romita Sr. and Herb Trimpe to create Wolverine in The Incredible Hulk #180. In 1975, Wolverine would appear as a member of a revamped X-Men team in Giant-Size X-Men #1, penned by Wein and illustrated by Dave Cockrum. The new lineup that included classic characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus would become mainstays across multiple X-Men lineups and volumes.

Wein returned to DC in the late 1970s as a writer and editor, where as the former he created Batman supporting cast member Lucius Fox, and contributed to a rare DC/Marvel crossover in DC Special Series #27. His work as an editor included runs on New Teen Titans, Batman and the Outsiders, and All-Star Squadron, and the aforementioned Watchmen.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This thread isn't getting much traffic these days, but Bendis is leaving Marvel to work for DC.

I'm not going to say 'good riddance' or anything like that, because in order for me to feel that way I'd have to be invested in Marvel Comics as a publisher right now and except for the current Waid/Samnee run on Captain America, which just started last week, they've done everything in their power to drive away older fans like myself by replacing all their legacy characters with far less interesting versions that lean too heavily on their predecessors' statures and don't have interesting supporting casts or rogues galleries.

Bendis has been stagnant ever since before the Siege event, where he ruined everything JMS did in rebuilding Thor and making that character and his supporting cast so awesome again. BMB has been foundering hard, with his only consistently good run being Ultimate Spider-Man until he killed Peter off.

I personally think this is a good move for Bendis and for DC. He is a good writer when he's motivated, and I think a change of scenery and properties to work with will help him return to the form that once made him a worthy writer. DC is putting out great books like Mister Miracle and Batman: White Knight. If you aren't reading these comics, especially Mister Miracle and you like super heroes, you should be. It's the best super hero related work I've read since Watchmen. For real.
'
Not so sure what this means for Marvel, whether he left because Marvel seems bent on returning the legacy characters to their original positions (which is absolutely the right move to make) or if he was diplomatically pushed out the door because his particular views aren't going to coincide with Marvel's desired creative direction (whatever that maybe).

DC is getting a good writer in Bendis who has long been sorely in need of rejuvenation. Just too bad he couldn't take Dan Slott and Nick Spencer with him. Slott had his time to shine but the ship has sailed on him and Nick Spencer tried as hard as he could to burn Marvel to the ground with Secret Empire and almost succeeded. Slott can still do good work elsewhere, but Spencer is almost irredeemable in my opinion.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I really dug Bendis's X-Men run. But lately Marvel books have been mostly meh, except for Aaron's Thor. I'm still really digging that book.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
If you aren't reading these comics, especially Miracle Man and you like super heroes, you should be. It's the best super hero related work I've read since Watchmen. For real.

I'll have to check that out - I'm in need of a good super hero book at the moment. And just to be clear, am I correct in assuming you meant Mister Miracle? The reviews have looked really good but I've been holding off on picking it up.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Bendis as a writer has been a mixed bag as when he’s on he’s great but when he’s not it’s twenty pounds of dog shit ala Geoff Johns, his current stuff with Defenders & Spidey have been the best thing he’s done ever, not expecting much from DC with his output as outside of Christopher Priest( excluding his shit crossover with the Titans )and Miricle Man( Vision was a demo for this series )there’s been nothing for me there as despite what everyone is saying they’re doing I don’t care about their silver age era so they’re not doing things “right”.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'll have to check that out - I'm in need of a good super hero book at the moment. And just to be clear, am I correct in assuming you meant Mister Miracle? The reviews have looked really good but I've been holding off on picking it up.

Yes, yes indeed. I corrected my original post, but thanks for pointing it out to me. Must have been autocorrect I didn't catch when composing the message. It's been sensational. It's not the happy-go-lucky book you might expect of Mister Miracle and Big Barda. It's pretty intense, and the simplistic 9 panel layout per page is completely metatextual. Do yourself a favor and go get it. It's stellar.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Do yourself a favor and go get it. It's stellar.

Consider it done - sounds like it's right up my alley. I haven't found any satisfying super hero stuff in a while now, so I appreciate the recommendation.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Consider it done - sounds like it's right up my alley. I haven't found any satisfying super hero stuff in a while now, so I appreciate the recommendation.

Fourth issue just came out today. Mister Miracle is a masterpiece of the milieu. Not to be missed.

BoogerBall

n00b
While I continue to wait for the next volume of Blacksad (which might be quite a while yet), I really would like to check out some other title/titles. Any suggestions? Preferably non-superhero stuff unless it is really, really exceptional, or funny/satirical (ala One Punch Man). There are a few titles that have gotten my attention but I still have not taken the plunge. One is called the Adventures of Dieter Lumpen, not sure if anyone here has read it and can vouch for it, but it seems like it could be a fun read. I've also thought about jumping into some TinTin comics, I've heard quite a bit about the series but never actually read any of the books, any thoughts on it?

I'd really like something with distinct artwork (I can appreciate many different styles) or if not, then at least really good writing, both would be ideal, but of course that's pretty difficult to find. I also find that it is very rare for me to find anything in the comic world that is truly funny in a way that gets a reaction out of me, even just a smile or chuckle. If anyone has any leads on a comic or series that has a great sense of humor, please share.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Fourth issue just came out today. Mister Miracle is a masterpiece of the milieu. Not to be missed.
Thank you for the recommendation! I have a good friend who is a little hard to buy for but this series would be right up his alley. ;)

Are there any online shops you would advise for as a backup in case I can't find any issues locally?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Holy shit. Star Trek Broken Mirror keeps getting better and better! Picard is a badass.

-SD-

Camel Slug
This evening I shall start on this beauty...

dh5RMDi.jpg

I’ve also caught up with all the Batman and Ghostbusters crossovers in readiness for the new hardback Batman/Turtles part 2 collection that comes out in a couple of weeks.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
This evening I shall start on this beauty...

dh5RMDi.jpg

I’ve also caught up with all the Batman and Ghostbusters crossovers in readiness for the new hardback Batman/Turtles part 2 collection that comes out in a couple of weeks.

very good series. really enjoyed this reboot and liked how they fused the 80's cartoon and the original comic series into one new universe. as good as the original eastman run.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was reading a review for the new Carnage Marvel Legends action figure, and the reviewer commented that, in his first appearance, Mark Bagley basically just drew the Joker when he did Cletus Kasady (Carnage's human host), and damn, if that ain't true:

carnage is the joker.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's one of my favorite things DC is publishing (and almost done now), but I have to wonder how Mister Miracle reads for someone not already well familiar with the Fourth World.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It's one of my favorite things DC is publishing (and almost done now), but I have to wonder how Mister Miracle reads for someone not already well familiar with the Fourth World.

I wasn't that familiar with it other than the well known ideas and concepts that have spilled over to the 'normie' DC Universe.

I am somewhat familiar with the secondary characters and lesser known lore but I knew just enough about them to research them on the internet to get a better idea of who they were.

If someone isn't familiar with it at all, it might be a taller hurdle to clear. But my limited knowledge of it hasn't diminished the greater story being told here.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bump, this seems really interesting, coming in September :
mountainsofmadnesscov.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bump, this seems really interesting, coming in September :
mountainsofmadnesscov.jpg
This guy has been adapting Lovecraft stories one after another for the past 3 or 4 years. I have a couple of them. They're okay. It's a workable art style for the material. Are they translating them into English now?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wanted to thank The Kid for giving me the idea to download comic books on my iPad - I used the Vertigo Comics apps to buy some. There's an option to read the comic panel-by-panel and I think that really is the best way to read a comic book, anyone else agree?

I'm pretty disappointed that it turns out all the comics I bought were during the holiday sale promotion and were heavily discounted and not the normal prices...I think the normal prices are too extravagant for comics made nearly 30 years ago and in digital form. Oh well.