The Comic Book Thread

-SD-

Camel Slug
I finally got round to reading the first two hardback IDW Ninja Turtles collections. Interesting new take on the origin story, I'm really liking it so far, can't wait for book 3.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I finally got round to reading the first two hardback IDW Ninja Turtles collections. Interesting new take on the origin story, I'm really liking it so far, can't wait for book 3.

wasn't the idw tmnt a continuation of the original story by eastman and laird?. because i actually read the idw tmnt comics, and everything seems to be in place from the original series. doesn't look like it's been rebooted at all.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
wasn't the idw tmnt a continuation of the original story by eastman and laird?. because i actually read the idw tmnt comics, and everything seems to be in place from the original series. doesn't look like it's been rebooted at all.

No but it is a mix of the Mirage run and the 80's toon

Eastman co-plotting really helps get that Mirage feel

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just tore through volume 2 of Descender this afternoon...the story is expertly crafted, the painted art style is beautiful and refreshing, and the characters are very memorable. I can't emphasize how much of a must read this series is; there have been more than a few times in reading it that I shed a tear, and/or just felt really sad for certain characters.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Read the Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters GN last night, I thought it was really good, great art and story.

And I've had the hardback MS Gundam series sat here for ages so I finally started the first book.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I just tore through volume 2 of Descender this afternoon...the story is expertly crafted, the painted art style is beautiful and refreshing, and the characters are very memorable. I can't emphasize how much of a must read this series is; there have been more than a few times in reading it that I shed a tear, and/or just felt really sad for certain characters.

I didn't know vol. 2 was out already, picked up a ECCC hardcover of vol. 1 when I went just based on I'm a big fan of Dustin

-SD-

Camel Slug
I've been reading Air Gear but I didn't realise it continued waaaay past the six omnibuses... so I decided to take a break and go through some shorter series. Air Gear is really good though, it deserves a game like Jet Set Radio.

Really enjoyed Angelic Layer and I had no idea it was related to Chobits until I brought it. I still have the original TokyoPop volumes of Chobits sat on the shelf so I'll have to re-read that again soon. And continuing the Clamp mission I'm currently most of the way through the very pink third omnibus of Card Captor Sakura. These books are really well done and have some fantastic colour pages between each volume.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
So this happened... Tony Stark handing over the mantle of Iron Man :emb:

Another shakeup, another relaunch. What volume are they up to now? I get it...we're in between MCU movies so they are going to go crazy with some wild Bendis-fueled idea until it's time to tango in the theaters again and everything will be back to normal. I can't say I really care for it but I get it. :annoyed:

I don't read Marvel and haven't for a decent amount of time though I had considered picking up Spider-Woman recently as she's always been a favorite character of mine (though I'm not really keen on the new costume). I couldn't care less about them replacing Stark for a black woman (though I don't know how she can be Iron "MAN" but whatever) but this seems to be a band-aid on a bullet-wound solution to them trying to achieve more diversity in their comics universe. :rolleyes:

I've gotten back on board with DC thanks to Rebirth and I'm rather happy to have both Action and Detective resuming their original numbering (though I'm NOT a fan of the New52 issues counting towards that total :angry: ).

Right now Action Comics is at the top of the read pile along with books like Astro City and Gold Key Alliance. At some point I put Valiant on the back-burner so I need to figure out what I need to read to get back up to date.

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys sort your comics? Right now I do it strictly alphabetically and have for decades but we're getting glass block windows installed in the basement and I need to move my collection to the opposite wall so they can access the windows behind the long boxes. I figured if I have to move the collection, I might change it up and sort the books into boxes by company with all DC together, Marvel, etc. I would dedicate one box or so to all of the various inter-company crossovers I've accumulated. :D

Anyway, how do you guys sort? Also...Annuals in the front of the series or back? :loco:

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
She will be using the name "Ironheart"

It would be interesting if she stuck with Iron Man, used a gender neutral armor and had a voice modifier to sound like a dude. Go back to that old school "must make sure no one discovers my secret identity"

I sort my comics by fav writer/artist and then fav series( Spider-Man in the front ) to why do I have this gutter trash. Things like annuals and zero issues I keep in the back of the run, same with graphic novels
9A15206A-3E2A-402C-8001-9F89D4A08E6D_zpsjmpjtpjz.jpg

Any signed issue or graphic novels goes in with whatever it's part of

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
The Batman / Ninja Turtles hardback came today, collects all six issues of the mini series. I've just read it and I think it's really good. The artwork throughout is awesome, and the back of the book has all the variant covers; some really nice pieces in there.

BoogerBall

n00b
Currently reading Blacksad. Loving the characters, stories, time period, and the seriously gorgeous artwork. Highly recommended.

Does anyone know of any other comics in the same vein as Blacksad? Any good noir comics or perhaps even dieselpunk-type comics out there that you guys know about?

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
The Batman / Ninja Turtles hardback came today, collects all six issues of the mini series. I've just read it and I think it's really good. The artwork throughout is awesome, and the back of the book has all the variant covers; some really nice pieces in there.

Nice. I opted against getting the series in floppies in the hopes of getting it and other inter-company crossovers in trade form. I'll wait for a softback cover release as I have never been the biggest fan of hardback releases. I'm still waiting for a softback release of Archie/Predator. :p

We should start a pool for how many minutes this will last this time.

Ironically, last week I was in a place called Half-Price Books and was thumbing through back issues. I happened upon the run where they had turned Iron Man into teen Tony Stark. :oh_no:

Speaking of HPB...one of the shops has been discounting some good stuff as of late. I found a small-ish run of the early Vertigo Animal Man series for 0.50¢ each. I found a couple of Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One that I needed to finish my runs.

I've been on a bit of a 0.50¢ issue binge lately. Aside from those I picked apart a bin at a comic shop across town I go to once in a blue moon. They had a bunch of issues of Exiles (the Marvel alternate-reality team, not that Ultraverse nonsense) that I was missing.

The week before that we were up at the flea market and one of the comic vendors there put out 4 fresh boxes of comics for 0.25¢ each. Lots of Marvel Tales and Spectacular Spider-Man that I passed on but also a sizeable amount of Legion of Super-Heroes that I did pick up as well as a good chunk of Ostrander's Spectre run. :drool:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Anyone start into the new Conan the Slayer series? Issue 1 came out last month I think and issue 2 should be out soon if not already.

First issue was great too.

I just finished up recently the Conan/Red Sonja recent teamup, that was really good as well.

Edit: yea new conan is out.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Currently reading Blacksad. Loving the characters, stories, time period, and the seriously gorgeous artwork. Highly recommended.

Does anyone know of any other comics in the same vein as Blacksad? Any good noir comics or perhaps even dieselpunk-type comics out there that you guys know about?

Grandville by Bryan Talbot

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Got my final 3-in-1 Dragon Ball manga book. I now have all 42 volumes of Dragon Ball.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor

Freddie Williams Art is amazing , I dont love the crossover its not for me but the art is great and ive gotten to see the origianl pages in person at IDW and its even better with out color. BTW he has started selling off all the pages.
I cant wait for the Batman animated series x TMNT animated book it will have less restrictions from DC and is being done by IDW since DC did this first one, also the art is equally insane.

theres not much availble in english like BlackSad also BlackSad is pretty unique,
but if you like non traditional stuff like that I recommend The Hero by David Rubin its a unique take on old ideas and they just started printings in english and its gorgeous even in book presentation. you can Amazon the first collected.
And check all the Humanoids published books (obviously the Jodo / Moebius works). DMZ by Brian Wood is a tiny bit Noir-y and Goldfish. im sure theres a good chance you know some of these.

Just pick this up on super clearance half off sale, im sooo happy !

IMG_1112.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Freddie Williams Art is amazing , I dont love the crossover its not for me but the art is great and ive gotten to see the origianl pages in person at IDW and its even better with out color. BTW he has started selling off all the pages.
I don't know how to qualify original pages when he draws everything on the computer. Maybe he only prints out the "inked" pages once...?

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I don't know how to qualify original pages when he draws everything on the computer. Maybe he only prints out the "inked" pages once...?

im not a huge digital fan and i thought he did digital as well but His TMNT Batman stuff is done with pencils on full size boards and he inks over that and i was very impressed with his use of gouache and ink wash on the original boards. he used two boards side by side for the double pages and some of the covers, he even printed his own blueline boards that had the IDW and DC comics logos on them (people at IDW were asking where he got the boards ). I can take some photos for you of the originals I might even have them still on my phone from when they first arrives at the IDW offices.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I cant wait for the Batman animated series x TMNT animated book it will have less restrictions from DC and is being done by IDW since DC did this first one, also the art is equally insane.

ah9n1M0.jpg

I had no idea this existed, looks awesome, thanks for the info.

On a related note, I've been reading the third IDW TMNT Collection hardback which came out last week, just have the last couple of issues to go. And then it's the long wait until the end of January for book four....

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
ah9n1M0.jpg

I had no idea this existed, looks awesome, thanks for the info.

On a related note, I've been reading the third IDW TMNT Collection hardback which came out last week, just have the last couple of issues to go. And then it's the long wait until the end of January for book four....

Glad to spread the word, Happy to hear you like the current series , check out TMNT universe as well it will be a place different creative teams will jump on in the IDW universe to tell tales kinda like the old MIRAGE STUDIOS tales of TMNT.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Read the first issue of the new Doom Patrol and I found it to just be simply ok, they are trying really hard to be the buzzwords they've been marketing Doom Patrol as for years "weird" "kooky" "Morrison"

I'll give it a couple more issues