The Comic Book Thread

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I thought this thread could similar to the "Weekly Check" gaming threads that we have here, only for comic book buyers obviously. So if you want to talk about your most recent purchases, I guess this would be the place to do it.

Anyway, I'm only recently getting back into comics so I spent more than I really wanted to today, but it the amount I spend shouldn't be to much once I get caught up. Today I bought:

The first Ultimate Spider-man tpb
Civil War 1 & 2
Astonishing X-men 15
Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk Directors Cut (first two issues combined)
Ultimate Spider-Man 97 (kicks off the Ultimate version of the Clone saga, hopefully it's better than the original Clone Saga.)
Ultimate Fantastic Four 30-31 (Frightful Four arc, looks cool)

I also pre-ordered the tpb of Marvel Zombies. I was looking for the Halo graphic novel but the guy told me it wasn't out yet. I thought it came out on the 11th though, anyone have it yet?

Last edited:

PUNJABEE

Banned
I haven't bought any comics, but I've been downloading them. Ive gotten the up to issue 5 (i think) of 52, but haven't read them. I finally got around to reading Red Son (very cool) and Im gonna start reading Superman: Birthright sometime this weekend.

I didn't know they were doing an Ultimate Clone Saga, lol. I gotta check that out.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
PUNJABEE said:
I didn't know they were doing an Ultimate Clone Saga, lol. I gotta check that out.

I haven't read the issue yet but I don't think its intended to be as big a shake up for Ultimate Spidey as it was the main universe Spidey, or at least I hope not. That was probably the worst story-arc I've ever seen. It completely destroyed any interest I had in Spider-Man for a really long time.

PUNJABEE

Banned
genjiglove said:
I haven't read the issue yet but I don't think its intended to be as big a shake up for Ultimate Spidey as it was the main universe Spidey, or at least I hope not. That was probably the worst story-arc I've ever seen. It completely destroyed any interest I had in Spider-Man for a really long time.

I wasn't really into it myself, but it didn't make me lose interest, but I know it dragged on and on and on, so a lot of fans were irritated with that.

Even though it didn't affect me all that much, I hope they don't make that mistake again. (thinks about the Iron Spider)

H

hermegildo

Some of the actual stories within the Clone Saga were pretty good, it was just all the shit around them that was terrible.

J. Michael Straczynski killed Spider-Man for me.

I'll be heading for the comic book store later today, will probably pick up a couple Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers and Superman: Birthright plus anything interesting that might've come out this week.

Maybe Alan Moore's Swamp Thing as well.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Ah, I forgot to mention that I also have Absolute Power. I don't know how old those are (I honestly don't keep up with comics like I did when I was younger) but I skimmed through them and it looks pretty cool. I need to read it though.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i go every wednesday, but here is my haul from this wednesday:

MAY060011 ESCAPISTS #1 (OF 6) $1.00
MAY060153 52 WEEK #10 $2.50
MAY060229 AMERICAN VIRGIN #5 (MR) $2.99
MAY060234 DMZ #9 (MR) $2.99
MAY060232 EXTERMINATORS #7 (MR) $2.99
JAN061824 WALKING DEAD #29 (MR) $2.99
APR061999 ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #31 $2.99
MAY061940 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #97 $2.99
MAY062006 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #4 $2.99
MAY063335 WASTELAND #1 (MR) $2.99

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Man, I haven't bought a comic since late May ( I think it was the 2nd Superman/Batman TPB). I plan on stopping by the comic shop this weekend though.

Have they released the first part of Civil War in TPB yet?

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Civil War has only released 2 issues so far and #3 comes out this week. They arent going to collect half of it. They're gonna collect all 7 issues probably in December.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
wookiewombat said:
Civil War has only released 2 issues so far and #3 comes out this week. They arent going to collect half of it. They're gonna collect all 7 issues probably in December.

Man, I might actually have to break tradition and go for the single issues then.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Haven't picked up anything yet but I plan on heading to a comic store over the weekend

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Still missing Thunderbolts 103 and X-Factor 8
935557994_nhl06 020.jpg

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I only plan on getting the seven main issues of Civil War, unless something I read regularly happens to be a part of it. Is Astonishing X-Men supposed to be a part of Civil War?

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
Is Astonishing X-Men supposed to be a part of Civil War?
The X-Men are part of Civil War, but I think they're getting their own series for that part of the story (X-Men: Civil War or somesuch).

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
only thing i plan on getting Civil War mini series wise is the Runaways / Young Avengers mini and the main book. Ill wait for the giant HC collecting them all, becauase Marvel loves to do that.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
The X-Men are part of Civil War, but I think they're getting their own series for that part of the story (X-Men: Civil War or somesuch).

I should have known.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
but i dont think the team in Astonishing is apart of regular Marvel continuity...

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
I'm a hardcover only buyer, or tpb if there's no HC. Currently I'm waiting for the Absolute Kingdom Come to come out, I can't wait for that. I also need to catch up on a few that I've missed (Daredevil vol.5, New Avengers vol.3).

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
comics now are so lame, seriously. what they did to spiderman is a fucking crime.

i'll stick to TPB's, 2.99 an issue is fucking robbery, the ishs are so fucking thin now, and they have the nerve to STILL have ads in them...

oldschool art owns this shit, hardcore, yeah it's got the shine and glitz now, but no soul. seriously, i was flipping thru x-men the other day, Jim Lee would roll in his grave, and again, spiderman looks like a fucking butt puppet, give me Erik Larson and McFarlane over any of these homos drawing spidey.

i miss the old days...

Last edited:

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
Man, we should really have an "All about Comics" thread or something, something similar to the "Car enthusiast thread". It seems like there's a big enough group of comic fans to justify one.

Anyway, as for recent comic purchases this week are:

Invincible Hardcover Vol. 2
Walking Dead #29
Wasteland #1
Exterminators #7

I suggest everybody in this thread to check out both Invincible and Walking Dead, pronto. Arguably the two best titles being published right now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The last good comic I picked up was the latest issue of Daredevil last week. The last couple weeks, I also got Green Lantern Corps, which was pretty good, Atom #1 and Wonder Woman #1, which were not horrible, and Flash #1, which was.

I think my most recent hardcovers were Golden Age Hawkman Archive Edition, which whoops all kinds of ass, and Alias Omnibus which was also very good.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
SouthtownKid said:
The last good comic I picked up was the latest issue of Daredevil last week. The last couple weeks, I also got Green Lantern Corps, which was pretty good, Atom #1 and Wonder Woman #1, which were not horrible, and Flash #1, which was.

I think my most recent hardcovers were Golden Age Hawkman Archive Edition, which whoops all kinds of ass, and Alias Omnibus which was also very good.

Flash 1 was bad? That sucks, I was looking forward to it. I might check it out anyway.

Herme tells me to stay away from All Star Batman & Robin, what do you think STK? Or AS Superman for that matter.

Also, they say Daredevil is better now than it has been in years. What's so good about it?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I went to one of the comic book stores in Shibuya awhile ago to see if I could spot a copy of Dogby, but alas I could not.

I ended up coming away with the first 5 issues of "Excalibur" (Captain Britain + half the X-Men). I have the first two issues back in Canadaland, it was nice to be able to read some more of the series.

Aside from that I've been mostly reading "Crows" (the series the SS videogame is based on). It's a powerful powerful comic all about friendship, and beating the crap out of people.

I've also started "Worst" by the same author as Crows (Takahashi Hiroshi). The art is better, but the friendship theme is really toned down, this comic is mostly about beating the crap out of each other. Still really good tho.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
K_Dash said:
Man, we should really have an "All about Comics" thread or something, something similar to the "Car enthusiast thread". It seems like there's a big enough group of comic fans to justify one.

Good idea, I shall do some editing.