Page 1 of 134 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comic Book Thread

The Comic Book Thread

I thought this thread could similar to the "Weekly Check" gaming threads that we have here, only for comic book buyers obviously. So if you want to talk about your most recent purchases, I guess this would be the place to do it.

Anyway, I'm only recently getting back into comics so I spent more than I really wanted to today, but it the amount I spend shouldn't be to much once I get caught up. Today I bought:

The first Ultimate Spider-man tpb
    Civil War 1 & 2
    Astonishing X-men 15
    Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk Directors Cut (first two issues combined)
    Ultimate Spider-Man 97 (kicks off the Ultimate version of the Clone saga, hopefully it's better than the original Clone Saga.)
    Ultimate Fantastic Four 30-31 (Frightful Four arc, looks cool)

I also pre-ordered the tpb of Marvel Zombies. I was looking for the Halo graphic novel but the guy told me it wasn't out yet. I thought it came out on the 11th though, anyone have it yet?
    Last edited by genjiglove; 07-15-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PUNJABEE
    I didn't know they were doing an Ultimate Clone Saga, lol. I gotta check that out.
    I haven't read the issue yet but I don't think its intended to be as big a shake up for Ultimate Spidey as it was the main universe Spidey, or at least I hope not. That was probably the worst story-arc I've ever seen. It completely destroyed any interest I had in Spider-Man for a really long time.

hermegildo
    Some of the actual stories within the Clone Saga were pretty good, it was just all the shit around them that was terrible.

J. Michael Straczynski killed Spider-Man for me.

I'll be heading for the comic book store later today, will probably pick up a couple Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers and Superman: Birthright plus anything interesting that might've come out this week.

Maybe Alan Moore's Swamp Thing as well.

Enemy Chaser

i go every wednesday, but here is my haul from this wednesday:

MAY060011 ESCAPISTS #1 (OF 6) $1.00
    MAY060153 52 WEEK #10 $2.50
    MAY060229 AMERICAN VIRGIN #5 (MR) $2.99
    MAY060234 DMZ #9 (MR) $2.99
    MAY060232 EXTERMINATORS #7 (MR) $2.99
    JAN061824 WALKING DEAD #29 (MR) $2.99
    APR061999 ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #31 $2.99
    MAY061940 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #97 $2.99
    MAY062006 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #4 $2.99
    MAY063335 WASTELAND #1 (MR) $2.99

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Let's see, this is what I got last week

Star Wars: Legacy 0 and 1

Witchblade 99

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castlevania flair

Man, I haven't bought a comic since late May ( I think it was the 2nd Superman/Batman TPB). I plan on stopping by the comic shop this weekend though.

Have they released the first part of Civil War in TPB yet?

Enemy Chaser

Civil War has only released 2 issues so far and #3 comes out this week. They arent going to collect half of it. They're gonna collect all 7 issues probably in December.

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castlevania flair

Quote Originally Posted by wookiewombat
    Civil War has only released 2 issues so far and #3 comes out this week. They arent going to collect half of it. They're gonna collect all 7 issues probably in December.
    Man, I might actually have to break tradition and go for the single issues then.

No Longer Yung
    No Longer Raoul
    Santa Clara, San Jose & San Francisco, California

Haven't picked up anything yet but I plan on heading to a comic store over the weekend

My Gameplay videos
    Yakuza: A Way Of Life( A Guerrilla Spetsnaz Studios game )
    JPN name = Yukinaga Kunomasu
    Quote Originally Posted by SPINMASTER X View Post
    I love STK. I'm going to be just like him when I grow up.

Whip's Subordinate

Still missing Thunderbolts 103 and X-Factor 8

// the beautiful journey to become a Pokémon Master

I only plan on getting the seven main issues of Civil War, unless something I read regularly happens to be a part of it. Is Astonishing X-Men supposed to be a part of Civil War?

hermegildo
    Quote Originally Posted by genjiglove
    Is Astonishing X-Men supposed to be a part of Civil War?
    The X-Men are part of Civil War, but I think they're getting their own series for that part of the story (X-Men: Civil War or somesuch).

Enemy Chaser

only thing i plan on getting Civil War mini series wise is the Runaways / Young Avengers mini and the main book. Ill wait for the giant HC collecting them all, becauase Marvel loves to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by hermegildo
    The X-Men are part of Civil War, but I think they're getting their own series for that part of the story (X-Men: Civil War or somesuch).
    I should have known.

Enemy Chaser

but i dont think the team in Astonishing is apart of regular Marvel continuity...

Beast Buster

I'm a hardcover only buyer, or tpb if there's no HC. Currently I'm waiting for the Absolute Kingdom Come to come out, I can't wait for that. I also need to catch up on a few that I've missed (Daredevil vol.5, New Avengers vol.3).

DASH DARK ANDY K

comics now are so lame, seriously. what they did to spiderman is a fucking crime.

i'll stick to TPB's, 2.99 an issue is fucking robbery, the ishs are so fucking thin now, and they have the nerve to STILL have ads in them...

oldschool art owns this shit, hardcore, yeah it's got the shine and glitz now, but no soul. seriously, i was flipping thru x-men the other day, Jim Lee would roll in his grave, and again, spiderman looks like a fucking butt puppet, give me Erik Larson and McFarlane over any of these homos drawing spidey.

i miss the old days...
    Last edited by RAINBOW PONY; 07-15-2006 at 01:14 AM.
    MERGED ACCOUNT, SEMI DEFUNCT

SouthTown StreetSweeper

Man, we should really have an "All about Comics" thread or something, something similar to the "Car enthusiast thread". It seems like there's a big enough group of comic fans to justify one.

Anyway, as for recent comic purchases this week are:

Invincible Hardcover Vol. 2
    Walking Dead #29
    Wasteland #1
    Exterminators #7

I suggest everybody in this thread to check out both Invincible and Walking Dead, pronto. Arguably the two best titles being published right now.

WA6TJE

The last good comic I picked up was the latest issue of Daredevil last week. The last couple weeks, I also got Green Lantern Corps, which was pretty good, Atom #1 and Wonder Woman #1, which were not horrible, and Flash #1, which was.

I think my most recent hardcovers were Golden Age Hawkman Archive Edition, which whoops all kinds of ass, and Alias Omnibus which was also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownKid
    The last good comic I picked up was the latest issue of Daredevil last week. The last couple weeks, I also got Green Lantern Corps, which was pretty good, Atom #1 and Wonder Woman #1, which were not horrible, and Flash #1, which was.

I think my most recent hardcovers were Golden Age Hawkman Archive Edition, which whoops all kinds of ass, and Alias Omnibus which was also very good.
    Flash 1 was bad? That sucks, I was looking forward to it. I might check it out anyway.

Herme tells me to stay away from All Star Batman & Robin, what do you think STK? Or AS Superman for that matter.

Also, they say Daredevil is better now than it has been in years. What's so good about it?

Holy shit, it's a ninja!
    I went to one of the comic book stores in Shibuya awhile ago to see if I could spot a copy of Dogby, but alas I could not.

I ended up coming away with the first 5 issues of "Excalibur" (Captain Britain + half the X-Men). I have the first two issues back in Canadaland, it was nice to be able to read some more of the series.

Aside from that I've been mostly reading "Crows" (the series the SS videogame is based on). It's a powerful powerful comic all about friendship, and beating the crap out of people.

I've also started "Worst" by the same author as Crows (Takahashi Hiroshi). The art is better, but the friendship theme is really toned down, this comic is mostly about beating the crap out of each other. Still really good tho.
    東北魂応援します!

Quote Originally Posted by K_Dash
    Man, we should really have an "All about Comics" thread or something, something similar to the "Car enthusiast thread". It seems like there's a big enough group of comic fans to justify one.

Good idea, I shall do some editing.

Beard of Zeus

Finished the first two chapters of The Sandman.

Starting on The Doll's House soon.

Need to start on TMNT soon.

Read a bunch of the Crumb books I have.

WA6TJE

Herme tells me to stay away from All Star Batman & Robin, what do you think STK? Or AS Superman for that matter.
    All-Star Batman is really love it or hate it. I hate it. It's Frank Miller's second 'fuck you' to the comic industry (the first being DK2 a few years ago). Jim Lee does some good work, but the story goes nowhere and the characters are big nothings. I'll check it out when they do a trade paperback; maybe it reads better all together.

I like All-Star Superman, but I don't think that would be for everyone, either. Its main draw is the bizarre, drug induced concepts by Morrison and a Superman who is way too powerful, like he was back in the Silver Age.

Also, they say Daredevil is better now than it has been in years. What's so good about it?
    The story and art. The book starts from where the last writer (Bendis) left it, with Daredevil's identity having been revealed, and Daredevil being in Ryker's awaiting trial (maneuvered there by a Fed who hates him). Even though he's continued lying and claiming not to be Daredevil (which nobody believes), and even though he actually is a blind man (which nobody believes), he's put into general population with a bunch of people who want to kill him, like Kingpin, the Owl, and Hammerhead. When one of Daredevil's friends is fatally stabbed after a prison visit, Matt Murdock starts to lose it.

Lots of prison violence ensues, and Daredevil slides closer to not caring what happens to him anymore. Reading about it in the papers, Punisher purposely kills a pimp in front of some cops so he can get himself sent in there as well, and watch Murdock's meltdown. Oh yeah, and Bullseye gets transferred back to Ryker's also, all strapped into a Hannibal Lecter restraint thing. Finally, in the newest issue (part five of the story), a prison-wide riot has erupted. Next issue concludes the story.

The art is by Michael Lark, who previously had done the excellent 'Gotham Central' and some of the flashback sequences in the new Captain America series. You just have to see it here to believe it. The combination of him and colorist D'Armata is amazing.

Reichsf?rer-Finnland

Any of you read Hate?

Buddy Bradley ftw.

Thread Information