MVS Price Guide Updated

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
Neo Alec said:
Re: Pulstar:

Keep in mind, the high price is only based on what there is precedent for, not necessarily what you should pay, or sell for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pulstar-MVS-Sho...ryZ72503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to respectfully disagree with all above. The Matrimelee price has already been tweeked. If you can get me an Irritating Maze cart for a different price, tell me all about it.

First of all using Ebay as a source for pricing is just insane..
No1 in there right mind would use that to sell there stuff, at least not here, if you're selling on ebay then go ahead and use there price guide but that does not work for here.
You disagree with Trieu? He's probably the one along with FTL that know more about MVS than anyone else in this site...
Pulstar is just pure Comic.. no1 will ever pay more than $100 for a loose cart even with a shockbox and insert now the full kit it's a different story, but still that would top at $250-275...
You have alot to learn about MVS and the market for it....
Last Blade 2 is now C 30-70 for a US Cart with English Label....Unbelievable

Just my 2 pesos.....and you did ask for opinions.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
NeoGeo2k2 said:
First of all using Ebay as a source for pricing is just insane..
No1 in there right mind would use that to sell there stuff, at least not here, if you're selling on ebay then go ahead and use there price guide but that does not work for here.
You disagree with Trieu? He's probably the one along with FTL that know more about MVS than anyone else in this site...
Pulstar is just pure Comic.. no1 will ever pay more than $100 for a loose cart even with a shockbox and insert now the full kit it's a different story, but still that would top at $250-275...
You have alot to learn about MVS and the market for it....
Last Blade 2 is now C 30-70 for a US Cart with English Label....Unbelievable

Just my 2 pesos.....and you did ask for opinions.
I agree that the price is insane, and I would never pay that much for it, but keep in mind that the prices are based on my research, and not what I think the games are worth. The idea of not using ebay for pricing is insane, since so much of the online Neo Geo transactions are on ebay.

As for Last Blade 2 with an English label, keep in mind I go more by how much the game goes for in the US now, regardless of the label. I've changed the system, because this makes more sense to me.

I don't know anything about Trieu's expertise, but I own all the MVS games except about 3 games now. I've been very active in the buying market for the last 8 years or so. The offer to take over the MVS price guide has been open for years now, and Trieu or anyone else could have always taken it. Someone needed to at least update it so that Jockey Grandprix is no longer extremely rare and worth at least $300.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
When I first looked at the guide I immediately wondered how you portrayed the information... did you display everything ("insane" high and low prices), or use a more controlled method? I think a "box and whisker" method would be very suitable to get a more accurate view of what things are selling for. The highs and lows seem way too distant from each other to be worth taking note of.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I read through the guide earlier... looks pretty stable. The only unusual price that jumped out at me was US Kizuna Encounter for $10-$20. Granted, it's been a few years since I got mine, but when I did I was going for loose cart any region, and it took me several months to get one, and when I did it was a good ~$80. For the (non-boot) market to have changed that much since then, someone has to have found several boxes of US carts lying around somewhere.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
We should write software (php based since thats what neo-geo.com is using) that you can enter what games sold for. This software will then store the date of the sale, where it was sold (ebay, neogeo.com etc) and how much it was sold for. In addition to keeping an accurate record, it will take the average of all the sales of that perticular game (high and low) to give an accurate assessment.

If neogeo.com has mysql installed on its server I could code something simple like that in a few hours.....

Or it can be done by hand either way, jsut a suggestion.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
neojedi said:
I read through the guide earlier... looks pretty stable. The only unusual price that jumped out at me was US Kizuna Encounter for $10-$20. Granted, it's been a few years since I got mine, but when I did I was going for loose cart any region, and it took me several months to get one, and when I did it was a good ~$80. For the (non-boot) market to have changed that much since then, someone has to have found several boxes of US carts lying around somewhere.

You can chock that market shit up to Yaton and his endless supply of grimey Kizuna's with fake labels.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Yeah, yaton6262 has (at least temporarily) thrown off some prices pretty dramatically. I try to take his beat up fake shell games with a grain of salt, but he sells a lot of untampered games on ebay as well.

Trieu

New Challenger
--

I have to respectfully disagree with all above. The Matrimelee price has already been tweeked. If you can get me an Irritating Maze cart for a different price, tell me all about it.

If you don't mind at least explaining in detail why you would disagree, this would help us understand your view.

Here are my explanations:

Rule #5:

5. The prices quoted are based on a used but working (authentic SNK/Playmore) MVS cartridge with an ORIGINAL English or Japanese label.

Diggerman and Super Bubble Pop shouldn't be in there. Those mislead the new members thinking that it's something official (even if you put "unofficial" next to it).

As Rule #5 states: It's for an "authenthic SNK/Playmore" MVS cartridge. Diggerman and Super Bubble Pop are not. You're the head of the guide, so just for clarification for the community as a whole, if you decide to keep it in there, Rule #5 needs to be revised.

Bang Bead 250 350

This cart is NOT as rare as people have claimed. Zed Blade is rarer than Bang Bead. 500 is over priced for this title and only those 'private' deals which no one knows about does someone get suckered into paying this amount. If you look at most 'public' deals (online stores, auctions), these sell for $350.00 tops. I can see a kit maybe going for $500.00, but not a loose cart.

Ghostlop: Shouldn't be in there at all, unless you're going to list the TWO prototypes that exists on the market (with one that sold for $3500.00). The range you're listing is for boots, hence not original and shouldn't be on the list to confuse noobs to the MVS market. The same reasoning why Poker Kingdom/Bingo Island shouldn't be listed, because only 1 copy is in circulation to the public.

Going back to Rule #5: Authenthic Carts. Only the two protos of Ghostlop on the market are authenthic. The rest are burned copies. Leaving this title in the list only causes confusion and more scams in the Neo market. Please explain why you disagree with this.

Irritating Maze 200 300

Arcadeshock sold 6 of these kits (100% complete with the motherboard, trackball, graphics, instructions, etc.) for $200-250.00 in the past 3 years. A bare cart isn't worth anything without the rest of the items, unless the buyer hacks the board and controls to work with a joystick (which is useless in itself). I can certainly get you Irritating Maze in that price range if you just want the cart. Kits are harder to find now, but the cart itself is still out there for the range mentioned above.

Twinkle Star Sprites 80 160

If Ebay is one of your sources, time and time again TSS has sold between this range. $200-300 is for complete kit prices.

V-Liner 200 325

The demand for this game has increased since people realize this game is rarer than once thought. If you can find this game for $220.00, you'll have a lot of people waiting in line to buy it.

Viewpoint 80 150

Of all the titles I check on Ebay for MVS Carts, Viewpoint is the one I check most as it's my favorite shooter. This title consistently sells between those ranges.

As Bobak says, it's a tough job and you'll be judged and criticized, but as head of the guide, it's part of the community service to explain certain prices and keep them within reason, especially when it's way out of the norm.

The Pulstar auction was obivously a fluke and $400.00 is a bit excessive. The prices mentioned above by everyone else is more realistic.

Don't stress out, it's just part of the job.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Trieu said:
If you don't mind at least explaining in detail why you would disagree, this would help us understand your view.

Here are my explanations:

Rule #5:

5. The prices quoted are based on a used but working (authentic SNK/Playmore) MVS cartridge with an ORIGINAL English or Japanese label.

Diggerman and Super Bubble Pop shouldn't be in there. Those mislead the new members thinking that it's something official (even if you put "unofficial" next to it).

As Rule #5 states: It's for an "authenthic SNK/Playmore" MVS cartridge. Diggerman and Super Bubble Pop are not. You're the head of the guide, so just for clarification for the community as a whole, if you decide to keep it in there, Rule #5 needs to be revised.
I think it should be implied that unofficial/unlicensed games don't apply to this rule. There is still a market for these gamse as well. The only thing I've kept off is hacked/stolen games. Diggerman was already on the list before I got it. If there was a Last Hope MVS cart I would add it to the list too.

Trieu said:
Bang Bead 250 350

This cart is NOT as rare as people have claimed. Zed Blade is rarer than Bang Bead. 500 is over priced for this title and only those 'private' deals which no one knows about does someone get suckered into paying this amount. If you look at most 'public' deals (online stores, auctions), these sell for $350.00 tops. I can see a kit maybe going for $500.00, but not a loose cart.
It's rare if it's rarely on the market. Perhaps the top should be lowered a bit, but it's still worth a lot.

Trieu said:
Ghostlop: Shouldn't be in there at all, unless you're going to list the TWO prototypes that exists on the market (with one that sold for $3500.00). The range you're listing is for boots, hence not original and shouldn't be on the list to confuse noobs to the MVS market. The same reasoning why Poker Kingdom/Bingo Island shouldn't be listed, because only 1 copy is in circulation to the public.

Going back to Rule #5: Authenthic Carts. Only the two protos of Ghostlop on the market are authenthic. The rest are burned copies. Leaving this title in the list only causes confusion and more scams in the Neo market. Please explain why you disagree with this.
Yeah, but since the carts are out there, and it's really the only way to get it, there is a market for them. I just bought one myself, actually. The rest of my games are all originals.

Trieu said:
Irritating Maze 200 300

Arcadeshock sold 6 of these kits (100% complete with the motherboard, trackball, graphics, instructions, etc.) for $200-250.00 in the past 3 years. A bare cart isn't worth anything without the rest of the items, unless the buyer hacks the board and controls to work with a joystick (which is useless in itself). I can certainly get you Irritating Maze in that price range if you just want the cart. Kits are harder to find now, but the cart itself is still out there for the range mentioned above.
Does arcadeshock still have them? One just went on Ebay for nearly $400. With the Unibios 2.2, you don't need a special controller or anything to at least play the game. I'm searching in vain for a loose cart, myself.

Trieu said:
V-Liner 200 325

The demand for this game has increased since people realize this game is rarer than once thought. If you can find this game for $220.00, you'll have a lot of people waiting in line to buy it.
I've never seen this game for sale, so this is one of the few where I've actually kept the old price guide's price. Wow, it's worth more? It's also one of the most useless games to own, as rare as it is.

Trieu said:
As Bobak says, it's a tough job and you'll be judged and criticized, but as head of the guide, it's part of the community service to explain certain prices and keep them within reason, especially when it's way out of the norm.

The Pulstar auction was obivously a fluke and $400.00 is a bit excessive. The prices mentioned above by everyone else is more realistic.

Don't stress out, it's just part of the job.
I honestly had no idea it was so controversial. Is there anything not controversial in this community? Please remember the guide is just a "guide". Thank you for your suggestions again.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Trieu said:
Irritating Maze 200 300

Last year Videoconnect was selling multiple IM kits on ebay for BIN $25.00 (yes, twenty-five). They weren't complete kits: cart, trackball interface, air jet interface, artwork and jamma harness (no trackball and MV-1B motherboard).

With the last version of the unibios IM is playable with a trackball on any MVS board with controller ports (including AES), provided you have the interface (or build a custom one).

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
MKL said:
Last year Videoconnect was selling multiple IM kits on ebay for BIN $25.00 (yes, twenty-five). They weren't complete kits: cart, trackball interface, air jet interface, artwork and jamma harness (no trackball and MV-1B motherboard).

With the last version of the unibios IM is playable with a trackball on any MVS board with controller ports (including AES), provided you have the interface (or build a custom one).
Get me one please.

The Unibios added a cheat to play it with the joystick. There's a topic about it stickied in the tech forum.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
MKL said:

Ebay auctions are fine to use as a guide for prices... but BINs typically are not because they do not gauge the public's view of value. If VideoConnect were selling them for a BIN of 50$, then you'd just plug that number into your statement without any regard (edit: Or if the BIN were 5$). Also, you have to keep in mind the VideoConnect was liquidating (going out of business?). They were selling Hyper Neo Geo Motherboards for 25$, too.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:
Ebay auctions are fine to use as a guide for prices... but BINs typically are not because they do not gauge the public's view of value. If VideoConnect were selling them for a BIN of 50$, then you'd just plug that number into your statement without any regard. Also, you have to keep in mind the VideoConnect was liquidating (going out of business?). They were selling Hyper Neo Geo Motherboards for 25$, too.
Yeah, usually if I see buy it now's, I take into account if they were accepted and if there were multiple ones. At any rate, you can't set a rigid price going by those.

Also, this guide is up to date prices, not based on something that happened a year ago.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Get me one please.

Well now that you decided it's worth $400 expect to pay accordingly :p
In all these years I've seen the cart (often with some extras) always going for much lower than $100 because the game has always been unappealing to the average Neo fan. But I guess that counts less than zero once a couple of idiots paid the criminal prices a lousy online shop charges.

Neo Alec said:
The Unibios added a cheat to play it with the joystick. There's a topic about it stickied in the tech forum.

A topic you haven't read carefully apparently because it's about playing it with the trackball (I did all the tests).

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
MKL said:
Well now that you decided it's worth $400 expect to pay accordingly :p
In all these years I've seen the cart (often with some extras) always going for much lower than $100 because the game has always been unappealing to the average Neo fan. But I guess that counts less than zero once a couple of idiots paid the criminal prices a lousy online shop charges.
Don't shoot the messenger. If one can be had for a lower price now, I'll gladly adjust the guide.

MKL said:
A topic you haven't read carefully apparently because it's about playing it with the trackball (I did all the tests).

Razoola said:
There is an option in 2.2 to play it with a joystick too. I added joystick and trackball support.

Raz

Razoola said:
WHATS NEW IN VERSION 2.2
----------------------------

Additions / Changes / Fixes

• Added cheat so that Irtating Maze is playable with 1up joystick (hold buttons B

It can be accessed from the cheat menu in 2.2.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Don't shoot the messenger. If one can be had for a lower price now, I'll gladly adjust the guide.

The game isn't common, you can't expect it to show up when you want. The fact is that however uncommon it may be it has never been much sought after and I (who have always been interested in it) have never seen bid wars for it in all these years. This could be changing now or in the future but your prices are way off.

Neo Alec said:
It can be accessed from the cheat menu in 2.2.

I never said there isn't joystick support (which is kinda useless as you can't progress much into the game with a joystick), I said that it's now playable with the trackball on any Neo Geo hardware with joystick ports. Apparently you totally missed the stickied thread about Unibios & Irritating Maze in the tech forum :p

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Good to see it finally receive an update. Well done Alec.:)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
FTL said:
Neoalec:
that pulstar never sold for that much.
the seller had to relist it:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147800

Do yourself a favor and fix the quote on that.
Like I said, I was basing also on another auction, and I am lowering the price on the guide.

MKL said:
The game isn't common, you can't expect it to show up when you want. The fact is that however uncommon it may be it has never been much sought after and I (who have always been interested in it) have never seen bid wars for it in all these years. This could be changing now or in the future but your prices are way off.
Tell that to the people who recently got in a bid war, outbid me, and someone ended up paying nearly $400 for it on ebay. I don't care if it's a full kit or not, I want the game. So much that I've considered buying the full cabinet for $300 just to get the cart out of it (what a waste).

MKL said:
I never said there isn't joystick support (which is kinda useless as you can't progress much into the game with a joystick), I said that it's now playable with the trackball on any Neo Geo hardware with joystick ports. Apparently you totally missed the stickied thread about Unibios & Irritating Maze in the tech forum :p
I'm not arguing about what the topic is about. I took your assertion about it to mean that the game is not playable with the joystick. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I've updated the guide again. Thanks for the suggestions and explanations, Trieu. I've made some adjustments based on some of them. I really had no idea what V-Liner goes for, and I had a few educated guesses I also made some adjustments with. It's normal to fine tune an early version like this -- the guide was so desperately in need of updating, it was almost like starting from scratch.

Last edited:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Last edited:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Neo Alec said:
Tell that to the people who recently got in a bid war, outbid me, and someone ended up paying nearly $400 for it on ebay. I don't care if it's a full kit or not, I want the game. So much that I've considered buying the full cabinet for $300 just to get the cart out of it (what a waste).

Mwahahaha... That would be me then, I had big plans for this but now my cab comes first and I won't have the spare time and money to get the bios replaced and build the trackball controller.... Sorry for derailing the thread Alec but take it off my hands mate and the money will go to the AW FOTNS appreciation fund. The MVS should not be too tricky to pick up here and there are no serial numbers on the kit or cart.