Hello Community

Hello everyone, I am an avid game collector, collecting mainly NES/SNES/PS/SAT/DC games, until recently, I discovered the AES. I've always been an arcade Neo Geo fan, but I never knew a console was out for it. I've decided to become a AES collector, and am glad to have found a community of fellow NG fans. One question, I'm a big KoF fan, and I was wondering what some of the best games to pick up are. Thanks.

Drae

aria

Former Moderator
One thing you'll quickly find out is that the game prices range from moderate to insane, and prices depend on the format (Home, MVS).

As far as bang-for-buck fighting games go, you can't go wrong with Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special and KOF '98.

Yeah, I've been looking at 98', one of my friends said it was the best KoF game. Another said 00' was though, in your opinion, which is the best KoF?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
KoF serie

I you really like the serie, buy them all but KOF 98 is the best to me.

Fatal Fury serie

Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout 2, Mark of The Wolves

Samurai Shodown serie

Samurai Shodown 2, Samurai Shodown 4

Metal Slug serie

All of them exept the 4th, expecialy the first and the X, the third is good too but the last level ruin the game to me. It is too hard, near impossible to pass through with 1 credit.

Others

Pulstar, Blazing Star, Viewpoint, Windjammers, Puzzle Bobble (conversion only), Magician Lord.

Well, you better buy a MVS system if you don't want to start selling all your other collections to build a great AES collection.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Welcome to the boards. I cant argue with Coryoon's list. Any of those gems will be great additions to your collection. If you're looking into getting King of Fighters 2000 I say go for it, it's a blast. I couldnt put it down until my MVS recently had its power supply go awol. Also, as said before, Samsho 2 should be an immediate addition to your collection.

Anyway, hello from the boards, take off your coat, and kindly leave your wallet at the Neostore.

Welcome aboard. :)

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Welcome noob to the world of the Neo!!!

Sorry to say but since I'm not into KOF's you'll have to ask others about that one. I'll say one of my friends...recommends...KOF99.

I'm picking the top titles here but alot of them are good.

Samurai Shodown Series

Samurai Shodown 4

Fatal Fury Series

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

Last Blade Series

Last Blade 2

World Heroes Series

World Heroes 2

Metal Slug Series

Metal Slug 3

Sengoku Series

Sengoku 2

Super Sidekicks Series

Super Sidekicks 2

I was sorta going on and on...but these titles are recommended...I can't forget this one...Windjammers :buttrock:

P.S. - Sooooooooo many noobs joining lately. :p

Well, I think I have a lined up a pretty good deal on an AES, but I also noticed the Neo Geo CD. Now, I am definitly getting the AES, but can someone give me the lowdown on the CD as well?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The Neo Geo CD has the same specs as the AES except it uses a 1X CD-ROM drive for it's games. It's extremely slow.. especially when you play the later games(1996-1999). Games are cheap... but the load times are Hell. If you're getting an AES look past the CD/CDZ. :cool:

One good thing about the CD system is you get Redbook audio with most games. It sounds good for the most part... but it's still not a good tradeoff for the loads. :cool:

Draemonorius said:
Well, I think I have a lined up a pretty good deal on an AES, but I also noticed the Neo Geo CD. Now, I am definitly getting the AES, but can someone give me the lowdown on the CD as well?

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Fighters
Kof 98
Kof 96
Samurai Shodown 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury GarouMotw/that's if you have the $ ;)
Realbout 2 Fatal Fury The New Comers.

Action
Magician Lord
Nam 1975
MetalSlug 3
MetalSlug X
Top Hunter

Shooters Keep in mind some of these can get expensive on AES.
Pulstar
Blazeing Star
Last Resort

Sports
Baseball Stars 2
League Bowling
Wind Jammers

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Welcome aboard.

For KoF, you really can't go wrong with 96, 97 or 98, with 96 being my personal fave.

fatoy.japa

n00b
Welcome from a fellow forum-n00b!
I'm a recent aes convert myself and, as most people have mentioned, you can't really go wrong with KOF '98. Recently played SVC: Snk vs. Capcom Chaos, which I actually quite enjoyed, but I think that puts me in the minority ;)

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Welcome to the Forums :)

If you like the KOF Series, you should try these games out -

KOF 98
KOF 2000
KOF 97

These are my Favorites in the KOF Series :)

R-Dash

n00b
'98 has the best gameplay. It's a near perfect if not absolute perfect fighting game. Personally my fav is '99. Try Matrimelee too, it's awsome.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
R-Dash said:
'98 has the best gameplay. It's a near perfect if not absolute perfect fighting game. Personally my fav is '99. Try Matrimelee too, it's awsome.

I'll have to second R-Dash there. Not many people give it much credit, but I think Matrimelee is an excellent game. Easy to pick up and play, awesome roster of characters, and some of the best music on the neo make it a great choice. I recently splurged on the AES version and havent been able to put it down for much longer than an hour at a time.

You need this game.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Welcome! You are amongst friends here. We all have the same fever for Neo Geo as you do:make_fac:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Insaneclown said:
P.S. - Sooooooooo many noobs joining lately. :p

Conspiracy!! ouuuu

------------

anyhow, welcome person with weird long name. (first time I greeted somebody new...weird.)

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Draemonorius said:
Hello everyone, I am an avid game collector, collecting mainly NES/SNES/PS/SAT/DC games, until recently, I discovered the AES. I've always been an arcade Neo Geo fan, but I never knew a console was out for it. I've decided to become a AES collector, and am glad to have found a community of fellow NG fans. One question, I'm a big KoF fan, and I was wondering what some of the best games to pick up are. Thanks.

Drae

Welcome to t3h f0rumZ. :)

New to the scene?
Got an AES?

The first games you should go for are the US version of 'Metal Slug 1' and the EURO version of 'Kizuna Encounter'.
I think you'll like them, mate.
Good games to start your collection. :D

fatoy.japa

n00b
Welcome mate! You can count me as another member of the 'Matrimelee is horribly under-appreciated' crowd.