N-G.com beatmania players thread

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
choo choo

yeah I'm pretty happy with how the stream came out, I'm using a new stream PC and new capture card (one that does 24khz RGB natively woot) and I'm really glad to have a 720p60 stream (even if neither of my webcams are 60fps lol).

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I bought a few things.

(Yeah, I realize it's a few months out, but...) Damn that's insane. I've been so out of the bemani thing for years now. Is IIDX not really a thing anymore over there?

Anyway, awesome stream. Looks super clean and smooth.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
(Yeah, I realize it's a few months out, but...) Damn that's insane. I've been so out of the bemani thing for years now. Is IIDX not really a thing anymore over there?

Anyway, awesome stream. Looks super clean and smooth.
IIDX is very much a thing still, but basically only at Round 1 arcades.

In those few years you missed a bit. I'll try and break it down.
Starting with IIDX 20, Konami designed the game so that it would not work at all without an always-on connection to their eAmusement server that worked as DRM. This made it impossible to import and play a new version, so everyone was stuck on IIDX 19. Not even just IIDX, they set up all of the BEMANI titles to require this connectivity.
Some hackers created a private eAmusement server called Programmed World that could boot a cracked version of the game and had the same functionality of eAmusement (rivals, online score saving, etc). Arcades connected to Programmed World had parity with Japanese releases as a result.
Konami caught wind of this and C&D'd the server a few years later. RIP Programmed World.
Arcades downgraded to old versions since the cabs couldn't run the later versions at all without PW being up.
At about the same time, Round 1 arcades were opening up around the USA. Round 1 is an arcade chain run out of Japan, and due to that they were able to in one way or another get Konami onboard with providing eAmusement access to American Round 1 arcades, letting IIDX, Sound Voltex, Gitadora, DDR, and Museca go online. (Pop'n at R1 still runs older offline mixes due to licensing issues, I am told)

So anyway, non-R1 arcades on PW at one point had decent traffic to the BEMANI games, then PW died, and no one wanted to play the downgraded versions. Daily all-day card lines turned into a few credits per machine a week in most cases. Then with R1 offering shiny new versions, the downgraded cabinets in areas with a R1 nearby got even less play. It was under those poorly profitable circumstances that I had opportunity to buy Sunnyvale Golfland's machines (except for their DDR X3 and Re-Rave (lol)).

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
IIDX is very much a thing still, but basically only at Round 1 arcades.

In those few years you missed a bit. I'll try and break it down.
Starting with IIDX 20, Konami designed the game so that it would not work at all without an always-on connection to their eAmusement server that worked as DRM. This made it impossible to import and play a new version, so everyone was stuck on IIDX 19. Not even just IIDX, they set up all of the BEMANI titles to require this connectivity.
Some hackers created a private eAmusement server called Programmed World that could boot a cracked version of the game and had the same functionality of eAmusement (rivals, online score saving, etc). Arcades connected to Programmed World had parity with Japanese releases as a result.
Konami caught wind of this and C&D'd the server a few years later. RIP Programmed World.
Arcades downgraded to old versions since the cabs couldn't run the later versions at all without PW being up.
At about the same time, Round 1 arcades were opening up around the USA. Round 1 is an arcade chain run out of Japan, and due to that they were able to in one way or another get Konami onboard with providing eAmusement access to American Round 1 arcades, letting IIDX, Sound Voltex, Gitadora, DDR, and Museca go online. (Pop'n at R1 still runs older offline mixes due to licensing issues, I am told)

So anyway, non-R1 arcades on PW at one point had decent traffic to the BEMANI games, then PW died, and no one wanted to play the downgraded versions. Daily all-day card lines turned into a few credits per machine a week in most cases. Then with R1 offering shiny new versions, the downgraded cabinets in areas with a R1 nearby got even less play. It was under those poorly profitable circumstances that I had opportunity to buy Sunnyvale Golfland's machines (except for their DDR X3 and Re-Rave (lol)).

Wow that sucks. Are there still many players at R1?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Wow that sucks. Are there still many players at R1?

Yeah there's an active player base at all of them from what I've seen and heard. I've been to the Arlington, TX and San Jose, CA ones and seen a good amount of players (though most of the Arlington players started playing at the new Grapevine, TX location after it opened).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Oh yeah and on top of all this, Konami released a home version for PC called Infinitas. It's a bit of a grind to unlock stuff and the monthly payment scheme is dumb (in the sense that it resets every 1st of the month) but it's pretty solid otherwise. The new DJ Dao controllers can be used with it directly too.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
IIDX doubles is tough but fun. I don't feel like my 5keys doubles experience has helped much here lol

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
KAC was hype! So glad America performed amazingly in DDR, and IIDX was a nailbiter, especially in singles.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm gonna stream beatmania The Final tonight, probably starting at 9 Pacific, and hoping to go for several hours. I'll bump this when it's live.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Going to stream betamania Pocket 2 (the LCD game) and beatmania For Wonderswan on Sunday (aka today). I can't capture them obviously but I can use headphone out so it'll be pretty clean. I'll start sometime after noon Pacific.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Had a 5 hour session last night, I'm still shit at doubles but it's so fun.

Also looking for rivals on not-eamuse, playing mostly 10-11 level single charts with a bit of 12s and 3-4 level doubles. I'm dj PUH.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Took a glamour shot of my cabs :)

a7ef620b0c8eebfbc452567eb60a56bc.jpg

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
7c25cba7e12458bbf4bfa2a50924de83.jpg

Put some work today into the cheap Drummania cab I bought a while ago. Probably after a half day’s work it will be ready to bring inside to join the rest of the cabs :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Special beatmania THE FINAL stream on Saturday July 6, 3PM-9PM Pacific Time!

5keys enthusiasts from near and far will gather at Hobocade to show off their favorite songs and best skills! Not only will we showcase gameplay, but we will also have commentary and discussion topics for the group and for chat. Cheer for PB attempts, sling your hottest Slake Takes, learn some trivia, meet some fans, and overall have lots of fun!

https://twitch.tv/danadamkof

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hosted a meetup yesterday and made a quick walkthrough video of everything running at my home arcade. Of course lots of rhythm games were present, that’s how we roll. Notably I finally set up SDVX again.
https://youtu.be/v8I8SG5e4cY