N-G.com beatmania players thread

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
Nothing should go wrong as it's one of the easiest mods ever. There's some pictures/ a guide here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~kiltz/

Are you out of Beginners Mode yet?
I mostly stick to beginner but I've branched out into the easier songs in L7 and 7Key.

Like when I just played a few hours ago I got a B on Virtual Insanity 7Key with random on (bye bye, scales!).

Also I can do Battle Breaks in 5Key consistiently and that's a 5 star song right? Then again 5Key is so wonky anyway (NO FUCKING WAY IS STOP VIOLENCE A 3 I CANT FUCKING PASS IT BUT I CAN PASS V AND SHINING POLARIS!?).

In other random news I joined VJArmy so I can post my shitty L7 and 7Key and 5Key scores on there and get pwned. I'm dj KOLL (repre-fucking-SENT!). Haven't posted anything yet though (I will later though)

Finally, I recently heard Rislim Remix. Umm, THAT's the song you were ga-ga about? I mean it's sort of interesting what they do with the last syllable of what the woman's singing and the low synth tones, but c'mon! :P

Other random music game shit:
Taiko Drum Master new for $17: Go or no go? I read the list of songs and I don't see much that I like but I am a sucker for special controllers. If there's a PC sim or something I can use these with, I'd go for it.

I still can't find a Mad Catz Beat Pad for the PS2 WTF!!! I can exchange my mat for one of the multiconsole ones (and pay a few bucks), but I hear those don't work with converters. Gotenks, I know you're into stepmania, what's the word on Gamestop brand multiconsole mats?

I guess until I exchange my mat I'll keep using my brother's not-as-well-modded mat. I hate how low my skill has fallen. I can normally get a B or C on Cafe (Heavy) but when I played the other day I just barely D'd it! My strategy for next time: drink half a glass of water before playing and warm up with fast and easy songs, and then after about 15 minutes of warming up, move on to my usual 7-foot-or-so songs (like Firefly and A Minute (Extended Mix)), and after about 10 minutes of that, try the more challenging stuff for about 25 minutes, and for the rest of the workout, go back to the stuff I'm better at.

Last edited:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Yes, Taiko No Tatsujin is worth $17 bucks, buy it. It's not the best rhythm game ever, but it's worth that small amount of money.

Rislim ~Remix~ is an awesome fucking song, it just gets a bad rap b/c of somebodys ranting about it :p ;)

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
qube said:
Rislim ~Remix~ is an awesome fucking song, it just gets a bad rap b/c of somebodys ranting about it :p ;)
Hey! I stopped ranting about it after everything blew up. Then everybody else started ranting about it :)

I'd focus on IIDX, DanAdamKOF. To be honest, I think you're progressing a bit slower or so than I did. I think you should focus all of your music game appetite on IIDX for now. But, if you want to, you can check out Taiko No Tatsujin.

Oh, and don't entirely rely on random, you're going to have to learn how to do scales and HARD stuff sooner or later :shame:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
Hey! I stopped ranting about it after everything blew up. Then everybody else started ranting about it :)

I'd focus on IIDX, DanAdamKOF. To be honest, I think you're progressing a bit slower or so than I did. I think you should focus all of your music game appetite on IIDX for now. But, if you want to, you can check out Taiko No Tatsujin.

Oh, and don't entirely rely on random, you're going to have to learn how to do scales and HARD stuff sooner or later :shame:
I just wanna try out Taiko Drum Master, I don't think I'm gonna focus on it as much as I focus on IIDX at all though.

I know I'm not progressing that fast in beatmania, but I didn't progress that fast in DDR either. I don't really care about how fast I progress though since I'm playing beatmania (and DDR) for fun, not to show off on VJA.

Speaking of VJA, what do people mean when they say stuff like "AAA #1058" and stuff like that?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
BTW I did the slipmat mod today, and though I haven't had a chance to play (due to my brother hogging the computer the PS2 is hooked up to), I can tell it's a lot easier to move. Now and then I'll pinky scratch and end up not actually moving the turntable, so the slipmat mod should alleviate that.

I'm gonna go down the block and buy Taiko now, bbl.

EDIT: It turns out one of the drumsticks is missing from the box, so the guy at GameCrazy won't sell it to me like that (not like I want it incomplete anyway). I have $4 left on a gift certificate at Wal-Mart, so perhaps if they have it I can get it at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Speaking of VJA, what do people mean when they say stuff like "AAA #1058" and stuff like that?

That they got their 1,058th unique AAA. Like in DDR.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
qube said:
That they got their 1,058th unique AAA. Like in DDR.
There are that many beatmania songs to get a AAA in?

And walmart has Taiko for $50. Shit. I wonder if I can get EB Games or Gamestop to pricematch Game Crazy.

EDIT: well I called one gamestop and they won't. That's aggravating.

Last edited:

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
DanAdamKOF said:
There are that many beatmania songs to get a AAA in?

And walmart has Taiko for $50. Shit. I wonder if I can get EB Games or Gamestop to pricematch Game Crazy.
There's also the IIDX series, you know. Each game is known as a "Style" (As opposed to a DDR Mix). There's 3rd Style to 11th Style for CS release. That's a lot of songs right there. Now factor in L7, 7K, and Another difficulties. You have a bunch right there. Now multiply that number roughly by 2 for counting doubles mode.

Check out all the songs in IIDX (And their notecharts) here:
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hibroad/score/

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
There's also the IIDX series, you know. Each game is known as a "Style" (As opposed to a DDR Mix). There's 3rd Style to 11th Style for CS release. That's a lot of songs right there. Now factor in L7, 7K, and Another difficulties. You have a bunch right there. Now multiply that number roughly by 2 for counting doubles mode.

Check out all the songs in IIDX (And their notecharts) here:
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hibroad/score/
When I refer to it as "beatmania" I mean beatmania and beatmania IIDX. Still, I've seen people refer to their thousand-somethingth AAA, and that just seems crazy. There are really that many songs? Wow.

EDIT: oh that's right, the different modes. Umm, heh heh... now it makes perfect sense. I shoulda read your post more thoroughly.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
VJ Army is for IIDX only, not the 5-key Beatmania series, just to clarify (Unless of course it was in BM US). Referring to it as "beatmania" can get confusing as the two are distinct games that had their own runs for the PS1 and the PS2 (PS1: beatmania, PS2: IIDX). Maybe you should just get into the habbit of calling it IIDX like others? I don't know, it just seems that with BM US, everybody is now calling IIDX beatmania and is ignoring the whole run of beatmania mixes that existed for quite some time.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Having 1,000+ AAAs is pretty rare, I don't even think BBH is close to that, I could be wrong though.

I'm at 516 or so, so that gives you an idea of how long it would take to break 1,000.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Others simply don't play for AAAs :chimp:

I believe I was at 41 or something. AAA'ing songs isn't as fun to me as trying to clear new songs :)

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
Others simply don't play for AAAs :chimp:

I believe I was at 41 or something. AAA'ing songs isn't as fun to me as trying to clear new songs :)

I used to say that too. AAAing a new song is soooo satisfying. I love passing new shit too, but not as much as AAAing songs.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
qube said:
I used to say that too. AAAing a new song is soooo satisfying. I love passing new shit too, but not as much as AAAing songs.
Yeah, AAA'ing a new song is more satisfying than clearing a new song to me. But actually trying to AAA songs sucks hardcore; trying to clear songs is much more fun.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
:lolz: I've never AAAd any song. I've AAd a few though.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
When do you plan on importing a style?

Once you do that, it's over. I ended up getting 7th when it came out, and by the time 8th came out, I had all the rest of them :tickled:

Fucking addictive-ass game.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
qube said:
Once you do that, it's over. I ended up getting 7th when it came out, and by the time 8th came out, I had all the rest of them :tickled:

Fucking addictive-ass game.
Looks like I held out well then. I roughly bought one old style in between each release of a new style.

7th -> 5th -> 8th -> 6th -> 9th

7th is a great style to start out on. Hurry up and play a REAL IIDX game already! :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
When do you plan on importing a style?
When I have a PS2 of my own (it's my brother's) and when I am good enough to enjoy playing a lot of the songs (though there's beginner mode and really easy songs).

I'm not too great now as it is. I tried Nemesis L7... and died. Woah. I just froze up, couldn't do it. And it's only a 5. That should show how bad I am.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
DanAdamKOF said:
When I have a PS2 of my own (it's my brother's) and when I am good enough to enjoy playing a lot of the songs (as in beginner mode or really easy songs).

I'm not too great now as it is. I tried Nemesis L7... and died. Woah. I just froze up, couldn't do it. And it's only a 5. That should show how bad I am.
The import styles can still be fun if you're still a beginner. After all, the rest of us started out on the import styles and they were still really fun when we all sucked during our first couple weeks.

5* songs are pretty hard. If I were you, I'd hurry up and import a style ASAP. At least that way you won't be bored out of your mind and won't find any interest in the easier songs on the style (Becomes a SERIOUS problem later on). 5* is pretty damn up there, and there's lots of songs below 5*'s on 7th that would be fun and what not. Seriously, don't let your skill level keep you from importing a style. You've already gotten past the hardest part with import styles (The beginning when you start out), so that doesn't mean that they are going to be ass-rapingly hard.

Get on it right away and stop playing this "beatmania" rubbish.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
When I have a PS2 of my own (it's my brother's) and when I am good enough to enjoy playing a lot of the songs (though there's beginner mode and really easy songs).

Throw yourself to the proverbial wolves, it's the only way to improve quickly at a game like IIDX :cool:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:

Dude, don't worry about being good enough to enjoy it or whatever. It will expedite the learning process much more quickly than the crappy U.S. one. Plus, it's just way better. Even if you can't quite hack a lot of the songs, it's just an all around better experience. Get 8th to start out on. It has an excellent array of music to choose from. Some of my all time favorites on it. I think it can be had pretty easily too...