N-G.com beatmania players thread

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
DJ Max Portable on PSP
DjMaxPortable.jpg

Very good game, but not IIDX.

My fav song on DJMP is Ray of Illuminati.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I've been playing 10th Style mostly...On L7 I can pass all of the 5* and some of the 6* songs. I still suck

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
GregN. said:
I gave up a few months ago too. I don't regret buying it though.

Elite - Want me to bring the US version to the gathering so we can play some 2 player?

Assuming you read this before saturday, yes, that'd be pretty spifftastic.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Not too cool, I guess... But, I can consistently pass Salamder Beat Crush Mix on Hard on Core Remix now... The end of that song is kinda hard... :chimp:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I got a digital camera yesterday, so I guess soon I'll upload some Newbie Tatsujin videos. I hope we can use those to figure out what it would take for me to improve.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Okay, here's some videos of me. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, and help me to improve! These are all on Beginner mode.
In my Eyes
Love is Dreaminess
Nemesis
The Cube
Music to your Head

(sorry about the low quality, and the text. I'll try to move the lamp closer next time, and see about how to not have that text show up. BTW I recorded these vertically then used VirtualDub to flip it (since it recorded on its side), but YouTube stretched them back out.)

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Honestly Adam, it's a bit hard to tell b/c I can't see your hands very well.

Also, there's no "wrong" way to play per se. I would recommend using some speed mods if you can though...or is that on HS1?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
qube said:
Honestly Adam, it's a bit hard to tell b/c I can't see your hands very well.

Also, there's no "wrong" way to play per se. I would recommend using some speed mods if you can though...or is that on HS1?
HS1, yeah. I'll try to make sure there's more light next time I make videos so that you can see my hands better.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I just started playing Beatmania a little over a month ago. So far I have the US version, 6th Style, and RED.

I've beat all the Light7 (Normal) level songs on all the mixes and now I'm working on 7Key (Hyper) level. On RED I've beat all the 7k songs up to level 6 and three level 7 ones. I FINALLY beat "gigadelic" on Light7 the other night with an A. Took me 13 tries to finally pass that song. Had 80% right at the last note.

RED is my favorite mix out of the ones I have.
Which other styles do you guys think I should try to get?

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
All of them.

But if you're looking for something like RED, stick with the later Styles.

10th, 9th, etc.

I personally love them all, they're each very different. The only one I wouldn't recommend is 5th Style. It was already the worst Style by far, but when RED came out it's stock went down even more. Now that Rislim, Still My Words, and The Cube are available elsewhere, there's really only 3 or 4 good songs on 5th Style that you can't get elsewhere....maybe not even that many.

Although Dune is on 5th, and that makes it worth the price of admission alone :cool:

Oh, and c-r-a-c-k-E-R!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Damn, those videos on YouTube ended up being out of sync. The ones I uploaded play fine on my computer. Either it's YouTube's converting of my PCM audio or their stretching of my video causing it. Next time I record myself I'll mess with some stuff to see if the video that ends up on YouTube is okay.

If y'all want, I can upload the videos that work on my computer on rapidshare or something.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Cross-posted from VJA:

Playing again until my Pop'n ASC arrives. Only have 10th and 11th to work with; clear a bunch of songs, blah blah. Most notable accomplishments since I started playing again (Pre-10th accomplishments are from a week or so ago when I still had those styles):

Clear:
A[7K]
AA[7K]
Be Quiet[A] (Felt just like SILV)
GENOCIDE[A]
Kakumei[A] (NOT the 7K; can clear the another but not the 7K...)
Logic Board[A]
lower world[A]
Nemesis[A]
one or eight[A]
Red Zone[A] (Not actually a hard song, just including it because I used to think it was one of those "top tier" songs before I actually played it)
Sasoribi[7K] (Easily one of the funnest charts ever)
Stoic[7K]
quasar[A]
Quickening[A]

~60% No. 13[A]
100% life bar for at least 1 or 2 seconds in Sasoribi[A]

Songs left to clear on 10th/11th:
1st Samurai[A](Uhh...)
AA[A] (440 miss count, I don't think so)
Andromeda[A] (Didn't expect this to be hard X_X)
BLOCKS[A] (BS ending)
Click Again[A] (Jackhammers make me lose 50+%)
Fake Time[7K] + [A] (BS ending)
gigadelic[7K] + [A] (BS ending)
Innocent Walls[7K] + [A] (I still don't know how I screw up 69)
INORI (Those runs are more tiring than No. 13)
No.13[A] (Almost...)
OML[A] (BS ending)
rainbow rainbow[A] (Hard to read)
Sasoribi[A] (Reserved for LISU)
Setsugekka[A] (Those scratches are so hard >_<)
Spiral Galaxy[A] (Just need to get a hang of the funky stuff on 1 and 3)

Show stopper:
AAA Sasoribi[L7] FIRST TRY

Seriously, I wasn't even trying. I just wanted to see what the L7 would be like and I sight read AAA'd that bitch (I believe that makes something like 41 AAAs)!

Once I get 10th again I'll work on clearing No.13[A] (Should be able to clear it before my Pop'n DASC arrives).

You don't get horrible delay playing on that monitor, DanAdamKOF?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
You don't get horrible delay playing on that monitor, DanAdamKOF?
Well, I use a capture card with my PC, and the program that displays it (DScaler) de-interlaces the signal, so since it needs to have two frames to interlace, what I see on the screen is (I think) one frame behind, or 0166666667 seconds. The monitor's a CRT, not a flatscreen. I don't know if my timing is thrown off significantly by the slight delay that DScaler introduces, or if I'm too noobish to have good enough timing get more Perfects than I'm getting. I'm doubting that it's my timing though, since I do well in DDR (like in that Flash in the Night results screen I posted), and when I used to play the first DDR for PSX, I played it up to Standard mode (well whatever the equivalent difficulty is for a DDR that old) through the capture card, and still did pretty well.

I'd try it on a TV sometime and see if I'm any better, but I don't have any suitable TVs in the house to hook the PS2 up to. All I can think of is this 5" black and white tv with composite-in. I may just try that anyway once I have time for it.

EDIT: Oh if you're watching the YouTube videos, they're out of sync, so download the Rapidshare link, where I put up some videos are are in sync.

Last edited:

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
You should really try it on a TV just to make sure. What's wrong with the other TV's?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
You should really try it on a TV just to make sure. What's wrong with the other TV's?
Two of them only have coaxial-in, and are probably going to be too blurry to play a game that requires as much precision as beatmania on. The other TV has composite-in, but the jack for audio-in is ripped out of the TV, so we use an audio reciever for the DVD player's audio in that's hooked up to it. I don't have any cable that would let me hook up the PS2's audio-out jacks to the reciever and allow the composite jack to reach the TV. Perhaps this reciever can do video in and out, and if that's the case, it would be suitable, but I can't remember off-hand if it does. I'll check that out once I get back from my trip to Dallas (I get back on Saturday).

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Coaxial should be just fine. It won't make the picture so blurry that you can't make things out (Even if it does, it shouldn't make a difference anyways as beatmania doesn't require that kind of precision; as long as everything is synched up and you can make out the position of the notes, it should be perfect).

Ajax

15 Year Member
I passed Max 300 on weak mode (L7 :lolz: ) this weekend! I'm proud of it...

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
I was at a gaming convention called FusionGC all weekend, there was so much Beatmania there and I all of a sudden got hooked.

Now I'm wondering if there's Pop N'Music players around Richmond or my hometown or not. I get a feeling that because you can only import Pn'M, finding other players in my neck of the woods are far and few between.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
TV2006070613153300.jpg
I did this one with Random on in addition to the HS1 I always have on, and I did pretty good. Almost FC'd it.

TV2006070613094800.jpg
I used to not be able to pass this, then I did a while ago (see earlier in this thread). Today I played it with Random on and I got a freaking A!

TV2006062813060300.jpg
I FC'd it that time. The AA is pretty cool too.

TV2006062812445300.jpg
I passed it again but my timing was way off.

TV2006062619021900.jpg
It sounded terrible, but I A'd it!

I've been to two EB Games and I can't find one that has a suitable replacement for my Mad Catz Beat Pad for my PS2. They have some dance pads that are compatible with multiple consoles, but I hear those don't work with converters. I guess I'll have to look for a Beat Pad at some of the Gamestops around here (since they recently started taking in returns from EB Games).

Speaking of DDR I'm REALLY rusty in it. I was playing today and I just sucked. I could tell I wasn't on my game. Next time I play DDR I'll be sure to have a good night's sleep before playing, and probably spend more time warming up on easy songs. I was playing on the Beat Pad I modded for my younger brother (that I didn't do as well of a job of modding as I did on mine) so maybe that was throwing me off a bit.

Ajax

15 Year Member
V is a great song.

I almost passed Afronova on maniac the other day at the arcade. I haven't tried to play that song in over 3 years. I was amazed. :eek:

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I finally broke down and bought this game but after playing the U.S. version of the game, I sold the game but kept the controller. Prior to playing this, I played the Japanese versions of this game and I noticed these version had MORE songs than that of the U.S. and I was rather disappointed. All I do now to improve myself is play my friend's copy of IIDX Red. I still need more practice though... I finally got [AA] on Marmalade Revirere on Light 7! :buttrock:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Planning to do the slipmat mod in the afternoon. I hope all goes well. I'm gonna take pictures and post it on instructables.com (it'll be my first).