What arcade stick do you own?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
thanx for the info....

i dont knwo im thinking about buying one.....

but there doesn't seem to be a good point if i already have hrap1...

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
jeff bogard said:
thanx for the info....

i dont knwo im thinking about buying one.....

but there doesn't seem to be a good point if i already have hrap1...
there isnt really. unless you only have one, and need a second stick :cool:

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Here is the only place I've found complete technical specs on each model of the HRAP. One big difference I noticed in the HRAP2, over the HRAP 1 is the fact that the HRAP 2 has stock quick disconnects in both the buttons AND the joystick. The HRAP 1 only has a quick disconnect in the buttons. So it's mod friendly right out of the box. Other than that, the button layout, and the top, it's technically the same. Here is the link

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95713

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
caleb1883 said:
Here is the only place I've found complete technical specs on each model of the HRAP. One big difference I noticed in the HRAP2, over the HRAP 1 is the fact that the HRAP 2 has stock quick disconnects in both the buttons AND the joystick. The HRAP 1 only has a quick disconnect in the buttons. So it's mod friendly right out of the box. Other than that, the button layout, and the top, it's technically the same. Here is the link

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95713

Not true.

The HRAP1 has a 5pin sanwa controller connector on it. Which means simply that much like my Sega Astro, it's compatable with any other stick with the 5 pin connector. If you've got a dead sanwa stick you can use the PCB to make a 5pin->wires to quick disconnects adapter with a little solder and a dream in your eye.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
also, is it just me or is the DOA4 stick more loose than the Tekken 5 stick?

I can do crazy shit on tekken's stick, and i struggle a bit more on the DOA 4 sticks...

would a mod w/ sanwa parts help out?

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Modding probably won't help you out immensely. The stock stick for the T5 is pretty good. If you can't perform well on that or the DOA stick you are probably just having a hard time with Japanese style sticks in general. The quality difference is quite apparent though when you play on it. I recommend modding it if you're comfortable with the process.

~Paik

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
if fine w/ tekken 5, it's doa4 where im having some difficulties, some but not overall....

it has good response but its just too loose (or too light in weight) for my taste....

T

Toxicoffender

Why are the buttons in that specific layout.

Most of the sticks ive seen are kind of in a wave, you know. Does that make sense.

As opposed to the kind in the arcade that are lined up. Is there a reason most customs are in that shape?

Would it be because of the shape of our fingers on our right hand? Im guessing.

Also, i just bought a stick from some guy, 2 of them, for 80 bucks. I know im new and ive done nothing for you people, butt maybe you could critique it, tell me what you think? Im new to the creating your own stick spheal. Im very impressed with some of the stuff people make. I thought it was a unique skill only few people knew, butt i guess people got skills.

the one i got i can show you a picture of, butt to describe it, it looks like the ones in the arcade. the plastic over the top, straight 3 by 3 button layout with 2 buttons on top, and the granite-looking material under the plastic.

james / owot619@yahoo.com.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Uh...link a picture instead of asking someone to e-mail you to get pics...

The "wave" layout is the standard 1-player layout in Japanese cabinets. it have a much more natural/ergonomic feel to it.

~Paik

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
1 Home-made MAS stick style, neo-geo two player stick, and a aes home system stick - with replaced sanwa parts. I also own a bunch of modded sega pads, and a few snes pads that I am working on.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
1 yellow button psx namco stick
2 homecart sticks
2 dc agetec sticks

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
I realized that I never posted the sticks that I have...even though I've been posting in here for a while. Here goes:

- 4 or 5 custom sticks that I've built
- 2 Virtua Stick Pros (one in the process of modding to PS)
- 2 Virtua Sticks (process of modding)
- 3 Namco grey/yellow (all mint...one is Japanese version with bonus pics)
- 5 Agetecs (just bought these)
- 1 DOA3 stick (just bought this)
- 1 modded T5 stick
- 1 Soul Calibur 2 stick (process of modding)
- 1 Blaze 2-player stick (process of modding)
- 1 Hori Fighting Stick 2

That's all I can think of at the moment. I have a couple older sticks that I got when I won an auction. I think some stick called psychopad KO and the old Capcom Fighting Stick for SNES/NES.

~Paik

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I'd be very interested in seeing some pics of the modded Virtua Sticks if you could get around to it. I used to have 2, one my drunk roommate stepped on and ended it, the other I gave away when I sold my 1st saturn. I always had some trouble dealing with those crappy sticks/buttons. They looked like they were kinda small to mod, and I imagine that it would be kinda tough. But if it could be done easily I would love to have Virtua sticks with decent buttons and sticks, that would be so killer! The buttons seem pretty small, it must be hard fitting arcade sized buttons into the body.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
The Virtua Stick button holes aren't small. They do have tabs like the T5 stick that you have to grind away. I will finish most of these mods within a week or two (going to Vegas this coming weekend) and I'll have pics up. I'm going to use bondo to fill up some of the parts of the plastic and move the start button elsewhere. I'll probably add on a select button since I'm converting them for PS use. I could keep one for Saturn but I guess I don't see the point since I have my Virtua Stick Pro and since I don't play my Saturn too much for fighting games anymore.

The bigger concern for the modding is that the stick is too low. I'm going to add a Sei stick to it (probably LS-56 in one and LS-32-01 in the other) so that it sits correctly. I'll cover up the top with lexan and only have 6 action buttons and artwork. It should be fairly easy.

I'll post up when I'm done!

~Paik

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
sounds interesting, a virtua stick that is good to use! I look forward to seeing it. I'm not much of a modder myself, still trying to figure out how to get the T5 buttons off of the PCB, lol, but if the virtua stick mod goes fairly smoothly I may try one myself. My friend might still have that one with the broken stick in his house somewhere. Thanks Paik.

I guess the point of keeping one for saturn would be all those great shmups! Batsugun4life!

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Here's an update on what I own

2 Agetec DC sticks (waiting confirmation of arrival, long story)
1 hrap1
2 DOA4 sticks (more than likely ill mod the sticks)
2 Neo Geo sticks 2
1 SF Anniversary stick (w/ modded stick)

Im waiting for VGO's arrival of HRAP2s....

by the end of the year i want to get
2 MAS
1 X Arcade 2 players

Right now Im considering:
SVC Stick (SNK)
KoF 2k1 Stick

and if all goes right, ill buy a custom made stick by whoever makes them here, as long as it has a reasonable price.

Last edited:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Damn that stick keeps getting more expensive.

I was pretty close to getting it from wasabi for 35, but backed out in the last minute.

some other member here offered it for 50 or 55, which is a decent price, cheaper than in estarland, but it was the capcom stick (want the snk).

e starland is 59 plus shiping....

and now 75.....

hopefully somebody can hook me up or something...

then again, even though im looking for it im not that desperate right now i won't be in the market till the end of the month...

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I have an Agetec which is currently being modded for -

Dreamcast
Supergun/Neo geo (CPS2 kick harness compatible)
PS1/2
Sega Saturn

All at the same time.

Plus i'm doing the LS-32/Sanwa combo as well.

If it works well, i'm buying another and getting it done too :D

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Can anyone recommend a website that has good arcade sticks for sell, also does anyone know who was that south american guy who made bad ass arcade sticks that were custom made? I read it in WIRED a few months back, I would apperciate the help.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Neo Geo MVS said:
Can anyone recommend a website that has good arcade sticks for sell, also does anyone know who was that south american guy who made bad ass arcade sticks that were custom made? I read it in WIRED a few months back, I would apperciate the help.

www.byrdo.org

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
zapatistab said:

I emailed byrdo multiple times at his e-mail and by filling out the form on his website, throwing $200 in his face for an existing joystick with no artwork or to make a really good joystick with no artwork. He didn't even respond. Take your $200 bucks and get an HRAP. You'll spend less and get a great stick without the wait.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
yeah, i mean he makes great designs, and i asked him how much he would be would sell me a stick for and 200 bucks seems a lot. Considering i can ask some people around to custom make me one, and can easily totally <200

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
My Byrdo stick arrived yesterday :)

It was worth the wait.. compatible with PS2, DC and NeoGeo/Supergun :)
Adjustable button config and an octagonal restrictor :mr_t:

baysfc.jpg