What arcade stick do you own?

TWE

Zero's Secretary
Thanks for the info. I hate American sticks (I like Sanwa/Seimitsu stuff the most), so I'm glad this seems to be pretty good Japanese quality. I'll find out next week when it arrives anyway!:)

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
YES, I'm so excited, I just won a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 from Ebay. You can' t find them anywhere. Freaking awesome, it's the best, the one with the red buttons on it. I won it for $150.00, with like $20 bucks shipping. Maybe a little steep, but it's brand new and impossible to find.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I own 2 X-Arcade solos with Happ Competition joysticks. They rock.

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Cool thread!

It's always fun to go back and look at some of my old one-timer hobbies. :kekeke:

redjoystick.jpg

bluejoystick.jpg

carbonfibercompetition.jpg

carbonfiberback.jpg

http://www.byrdo.org/arcade_joysticks.htm $160-$500 for a joystick? Ouch... you can easily buy a 5 piece combo tool kit and materials and make your own and feel more proud of your joystick; with money to spare to boot! :cool:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
TWE said:
I just ordered a Hori Fighting Stick Neo (original, not II) for the Neo-geo (actually, to use with my supergun). Anyone used one of these? It looked pretty good, here's a pic:

hori_boxed.jpg

thats the one i got. its pretty good. i for one like ot far more than the og old style stick, new style is even worse. dont know if the II is better than I but I is surely good enough. theres only small differences with 2.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
I got ripped on shipping

I got ripped with the shipping on my Hori Real Arcade Pro 2. One hundred dollars, sucks, I should have asked the seller before bidding on E-bay. Didn't think I would win for such a cheap price but now I'm paying out the butt. Oh well, make me feel better guys, and keep telling me it is the best joystick ever made.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
caleb1883 said:
I got ripped with the shipping on my Hori Real Arcade Pro 2. One hundred dollars, sucks, I should have asked the seller before bidding on E-bay. Didn't think I would win for such a cheap price but now I'm paying out the butt. Oh well, make me feel better guys, and keep telling me it is the best joystick ever made.

If I new you were buying one for that much,- I would have sold you mine and purchased another one. ;) It already has Sanwa buttons!

See this link, but it may upset you: http://www.vgonetwork.com/article.aspx?id=181

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i guess there's a shipment coming out everywhere.

you can order them also in play asia, pero it appears they don't have them, though it says they'll ship it once it arrives. I think its the same case in lik-sang and ncsx.

im real close to buyinng one....

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I have 2 X-ARCADE solo sticks, since ive converted the interface from the standard to a USB PC control pad (by doing lots of soldering and lots of wiring, HUGE improvement, the timing must just be rubish with the standard interface) they are quite good. Ive been thinking of pulling the 2 joysticks out of my genuine NEO-GEO 4 slotter cause i reckon they were way better than the sticks that come in the X-ARCADEs. I might just leave them as they are and make some more joysticks since i have a couple cabinets sitting here with no working MVS boards for them. :)

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
I'm fairly new to this forum, but have been at the other major forums for a while. Mostly SRK Tech Talk and Trading Forums. I thought I'd chime in here. These are the sticks I've made (aside from the ones in Finkle Sticks and Mods categories).

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Paik4Life/

Most of them were custom orders, but my personal stick is the Stainable Case. The other ones I have right now but haven't gotten around to selling (want to get a couple more done and sell like 6 at once) are the Butterfly Dreams, Tsunade, and T5 Mod.

As for stock sticks that I've bought, I have 2 Namcos (mint-in-box), 5 Agetecs, and 1 DOA3 stick. These are all sticks I've bought and plan to sell as-is, or heavily mod out first. I also have a Blaze 2-player stick that I'm modding heavily. All modding would be with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts since I prefer them to US parts. That's all from me!

~Paik

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Yeah, I noticed that VGO link and I think its crap. As the man said before, all those sites say they will restock "soon". It's been months and I haven't seen crap. But the shipping still upsets me, and I definitley would have bought your stick with the sanwa buttons in it. By the way, I read that the stock Sanwa stick in the hori real arcade pro 2 isn't good for 2d fighters. Is it just a matter of preference or what? I'll have a $300 dollar joystick by the time I make all the neccassary mods the guys at shoruyken reccomend. I think they are just being babies, and I think I'll learn to play with the stock Sanwa. I mean, it is a Sanwa it can't be that bad.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
The stock stick in the HRAPs are the flagship sticks of Sanwa (JLF-TP-8) except they come with pre-installed shaft cover (JLF-CD) which makes it JLF-TP-8Y-SK. People like to say that these are not good for 2D fighters for some reason. Which is bullshit since the JLF is the most used stick in Japan arcades regardless of 2D, 3D, shmups, etc. The LS-32 however is the second most popular and is also pretty common.

People who complain the most are those that are usually transitioning from Happ parts to Japanese parts. Many people claim that the LS-32 is better for 2D fighters like 3S because of the shorter throw, smaller deadzone, stronger tension, and less defined corners. One common "remedy" for the JLF is to replace the stock square restrictor with an octagon restrictor (GT-Y).

All that being said, it's preference. If you're good, you can play with any decent stick Happ, Sanwa, Seimitsu, etc, for any game. I prefer Japanese parts and particularly the JLF (or Flash1 if you have the luxury), but I can play on LS-32, P360s, and even pad. It's only just the few people who aren't versatile enough that start rumors like "LS-32 is better than JLF for 2Ds." Again, the JLF is the most used in all of Japan across the board for fighters.

Here's my Sanwa and Seimitsu FAQ on SRK for those who have some common questions about the two brands:
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118289

And in the end, I think HRAPs are a waste of money for numerous reasons:

1) They are expensive. $100 + shipping is what you're looking to pay for an HRAP. More for the HRAP2 or the SA or SE editions.

2) Aside from the SA or SE editions, you'll have to replace the stock Hori buttons with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons anyway which is another 6-10 buttons (depending on how many buttons you want to swap out obviously).

3) They aren't particularly nice looking. They are heavy and bulky.

4) You have to perform some modding to allow you to put personalized artwork on. This can be done by using some kind of print-out that you can adhere to the faceplate. And even afterwards you'll be directly touching the artwork so you'll be smudging it, rubbing it, scratching it, etc. The only real way to prevent this is to cut out a top layer of plexi/lexan to put on top of it.

5) With the amount you'll be spending buying, shipping, and modding this thing ($100, $20+, $30+), you could have bought a custom stick from a well known builder that you would probably be much happier with since it's personalized for you. OR you could buy a T5 stick (Can find them cheap nowadays for less than $50 and much more easily) and mod it with a JLF yourself and you'd be saving close to $50.

Here's a direct link to a pic of my T5 mod:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Paik4Life/Mods/3b121f42.jpg

It has:
- all Sanwa parts (JLF, OBSF-30, OBSF-24)
- new white paint job with protective layer
- added wires and quick disconnects
- moved start and select buttons off the face and onto the sides of the case
- layer of lexan on top so you can put in artwork (none here since I don't even use this thing since modding it). Also this covers up the L1, L2, start, and select buttons so that when you have artwork in it you will only see the 6 buttons on top.

Even with all these mods to it, it cost less than an HRAP but has more than what HRAPs come stock with (aside from the JLF-CD since I didn't think it would match the white paint job well). My 2 cents. You can give me change if you'd like. : )

~Paik

zapatistab

Paik4Life said:
The stock stick in the HRAPs are the flagship sticks of Sanwa (JLF-TP-8) except they come with pre-installed shaft cover (JLF-CD) which makes it JLF-TP-8Y-SK. People like to say that these are not good for 2D fighters for some reason. Which is bullshit since the JLF is the most used stick in Japan arcades regardless of 2D, 3D, shmups, etc. The LS-32 however is the second most popular and is also pretty common.

People who complain the most are those that are usually transitioning from Happ parts to Japanese parts. Many people claim that the LS-32 is better for 2D fighters like 3S because of the shorter throw, smaller deadzone, stronger tension, and less defined corners. One common "remedy" for the JLF is to replace the stock square restrictor with an octagon restrictor (GT-Y).

All that being said, it's preference. If you're good, you can play with any decent stick Happ, Sanwa, Seimitsu, etc, for any game. I prefer Japanese parts and particularly the JLF (or Flash1 if you have the luxury), but I can play on LS-32, P360s, and even pad. It's only just the few people who aren't versatile enough that start rumors like "LS-32 is better than JLF for 2Ds." Again, the JLF is the most used in all of Japan across the board for fighters.

Here's my Sanwa and Seimitsu FAQ on SRK for those who have some common questions about the two brands:
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118289

1) They are expensive. $100 + shipping is what you're looking to pay for an HRAP. More for the HRAP2 or the SA or SE editions.

2) Aside from the SA or SE editions, you'll have to replace the stock Hori buttons with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons anyway which is another 6-10 buttons (depending on how many buttons you want to swap out obviously).

4) You have to perform some modding to allow you to put personalized artwork on. This can be done by using some kind of print-out that you can adhere to the faceplate. And even afterwards you'll be directly touching the artwork so you'll be smudging it, rubbing it, scratching it, etc. The only real way to prevent this is to cut out a top layer of plexi/lexan to put on top of it.

5) With the amount you'll be spending buying, shipping, and modding this thing ($100, $20+, $30+), you could have bought a custom stick from a well known builder that you would probably be much happier with since it's personalized for you. OR you could buy a T5 stick (Can find them cheap nowadays for less than $50 and much more easily) and mod it with a JLF yourself and you'd be saving close to $50.

Here's a direct link to a pic of my T5 mod:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Paik4Life/Mods/3b121f42.jpg

It has:
- all Sanwa parts (JLF, OBSF-30, OBSF-24)
- new white paint job with protective layer
- added wires and quick disconnects
- moved start and select buttons off the face and onto the sides of the case
- layer of lexan on top so you can put in artwork (none here since I don't even use this thing since modding it). Also this covers up the L1, L2, start, and select buttons so that when you have artwork in it you will only see the 6 buttons on top.

Even with all these mods to it, it cost less than an HRAP but has more than what HRAPs come stock with (aside from the JLF-CD since I didn't think it would match the white paint job well). My 2 cents. You can give me change if you'd like. : )

~Paik

Nice work Paik,

You will get alot of love in these parts by making a Custom Neo stick. You may even be able to sell it. It's harder to impress members in these forums, because most Neo members have been gaming, before SRK members were born or in diapers. ;)

Some members here can use a Radio Shack project box, put arcade parts in it, and be happy.

I know your just being friendly, but it's all been discussed in the Tech Forums.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Paik, did you paint over the Tekken 5 picture with a white paint? Thats funny.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Thanks for the info, it is too late for me to turn back on buying the HRAP2, but I'll just learn to play with the stock JLF. I don't think it is a terrible stick, I like the weight, button layout, and I really don't care about the artwork. I'm not big into modding either, so I really appreciate the stock quick disconnects for the joystick and the buttons.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
zap: I'm not sure what you mean by Neo-Geo stick. I'm not sure if you're referring to just layout or something else. I personally don't like to take too many orders since it's really just a hobby of mine. Just some people ask me to and if they're adamant about it I'll do it. I'm definitely not a Neo-Geo player and probably was in diapers when you guys were around : ) I feel old at 24, but I'm sure that's still relatively young.

alex: I did not paint over the artwork. I removed it and painted the case itself white. The grey area is just the metal underneath the original artwork. I will eventually get around to making custom artwork for it to put under the plexi.

~Paik

zapatistab

Paik4Life said:
zap: I'm not sure what you mean by Neo-Geo stick. I'm not sure if you're referring to just layout or something else. I personally don't like to take too many orders since it's really just a hobby of mine. Just some people ask me to and if they're adamant about it I'll do it. I'm definitely not a Neo-Geo player and probably was in diapers when you guys were around : ) I feel old at 24, but I'm sure that's still relatively young.

alex: I did not paint over the artwork. I removed it and painted the case itself white. The grey area is just the metal underneath the original artwork. I will eventually get around to making custom artwork for it to put under the plexi.

~Paik

Hi paik,

I was just refering to the layout. And I was messing with you. I used to be an SRK member, but I got tired of dealing with the youngsters in the tech forums. Some of the members over there are really annoying. I used try and help out in the tech forums, but there are so many stick builders now, it was a waste of time for me.

Do you sell your cases? No paint, no artwork, no parts. Just wooden case and plexi. If so, how much?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Paik4Life said:

~Paik

Oh cool, thanks for the info. I have just bought a Tekken 5 stick myself and want to get around to modding it, I don't have any Japanese sticks or buttons right now, so I have yet to take the stick completeley appart.

I didn't know that the artwork is removable and replaceable. That's very good to know, thank you Paik. Whenever I get around to modding this stick, I'll put something behind the Plexi that will look like a US Neo Geo MVS CPO.

Of course, I'm kinda broke now, so I'll do that when I get more money to buy those parts.

edit: btw, I really like the way you modded that Hori stick into a Darkstalker's Stick, I think you call it the "Rush Down" stick.

2nd edit: oops, just realized that you made that one yourself and that it isn't a hori. I still like it though, it looks good.

Last edited:

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
The only stick I have right now is the DOA4 stick for the Xbox 360. I don't guess I've ever tried a Sanwa, but I've had plenty of Japanese-style sticks (Hori Tekken 5 PS2 stick, DC Agetec, Namco PSX, DOA4), and I just prefer the US style bat sticks. I've had Pelican, SF Anniversary, and MAS sticks with US style sticks, the MAS was definitely the best, since it had original Happ components. I also modded the SF Anniversary stick with Happ competition sticks and buttons. Almost forgot the old-style and new-style AES sticks, as well as a homemade stick with Happ parts that I used with a consolized 2-slot.

I have a friend who builds furniture; I'm going to have him build me a TV armoire that will hold all 8 of my console systems (except my 360, which is hooked up to my HD RPTV). It's going to have a heavy duty slide-out tray, like the keyboard tray on a computer desk. I'm also going to have him build two two-player controller housings, one with a four-button Neo config, the other with a six-button Street Fighter config, about 28" wide, 10" deep, and 4" tall. I have Happs competition sticks and buttons (I greatly prefer the convex buttons over the concave US style buttons), and Sony PSX Dual Shock 1 controller PCBs for solder-free hacking to the buttons and sticks. I have PSX adapters for my Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and I'll be getting them for my Saturn, so that I can use the controllers with any of my consoles, except the SNES and NES. I don't have room for cabs in my current house, so this will be the next best thing (except for the fact of playing ports on consoles instead of arcade PCBs on a supergun), while still looking nice, which means I don't have to hear it from my wife.

Last edited:

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
zap: I don't mind making a case, but I build my sticks differently than every other builder out there EXCEPT Per (aka TheRealNeoGeo). I loved his method of building sticks out of one solid block of material instead of putting together 4 boards into a rectangluar shape. This one block method allows me to do whatever shapes and designs I want and make the stick feel really really sturdy being of one solid infrastructure.

I only say this because it takes a good deal more work and more time. If you wanted one build in the traditional manner, I could do that for you and it would be cheaper, but only a rectangle. If you wanted one the way I normally build, it would be more expensive but I could do more interesting shapes.

Also, it would depend on the material (MDF or real wood) and whether you wanted imbedded metal for the buttons or for the bottom cover. It's hard to say off the top of my head. I PMed you back directly with some contact info so we can discuss it.

alec: Thanks for the compliments. The T5 is a good mod. It's not too bad as long as you can solder/desolder. As for the artwork, it's glued on so you have to peel it off and remove the residue with goo-gone or some other remover. Good luck on it though! If you need some help feel free to PM me or something.

And yeah, that was a custom job for a friend. I unfortunately am not very skilled in Photoshop, so I could never come up with something in terms of artwork.

~Paik

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Paik4Life said:

Yes, its a shame we get fleeced by the import shops. these things are only about $50 in Japan.

The stock HRAP buttons arent THAT bad. definately better than any other mass produced stick (much better than the buttons on other, lesser, hori sticks).
most people would be happy as-is. and if not, buttons are pretty cheap, and super easy to swap out.

purely subjective. the size is only a drawback for storage. I like the mass, it makes them move around much less when im playing. I find them much more comfortable to use than anything smaller, whether on a table or on my lap.

And i think they look nice. Some cool artwork would be sweet, but not at all a big deal.

I have 4 HRAPs (2 originals, 2 HRAP2s), and wouldnt trade em for anything.
I may upgrade the buttons in the 2 originals, as i have modded the button layout to use with my consolized MVS, and will only need 4 buttons each (and I may add a DB16 port/cable; i currently use a ps2->neo adapter).

I use the HRAP2s with ps2, dreamcast, gamecube and xbox, with the relevant adapter.
And if MS wasnt such a shithole of a company, and would let people release contoller adapters for the 360, id use them on that too.

custom made sticks are awesome, but if you cant/dont want to make it yourself, the extra cost over the HRAP (even at inflated import prices) is for purely aesthetic purposes, and isnt worth it IMO.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the Hori Fighting stick II is awesome in every way. No other stick can touch it in terms of absolute awesomness.