What arcade stick do you own?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
hey any of you guys by any chance have an extra fighting stick ex for the first xbox?

if so let me know...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Speaking of which....

I recently decided that I could categorize sticks in serval ones.

Custom (self explanatory)
American Retail (US Fighting Stick EX, SFAC, US T5, etc.)
Japan Retail (HRAP, sega Agetec, ASCII)
Japan theme retail (SVC ASCII, CVS2 ASCII, GGXX ASCII, SC3 HRAP)

what do you guys think?

where i was going with this, the recent HRAP for Arcana heart, and the past few HRAP theme, do any of you guys own any themed retail jap stick?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
Speaking of which....

I recently decided that I could categorize sticks in serval ones.

Custom (self explanatory)
American Retail (US Fighting Stick EX, SFAC, US T5, etc.)
Japan Retail (HRAP, sega Agetec, ASCII)
Japan theme retail (SVC ASCII, CVS2 ASCII, GGXX ASCII, SC3 HRAP)

what do you guys think?

where i was going with this, the recent HRAP for Arcana heart, and the past few HRAP theme, do any of you guys own any themed retail jap stick?
That's a good start what about Jap mods? I mean they're not totally custom since most of this mods are based out of already made bases.

Perhaps Japan Retail Mods is in order?

Edit: I dunno man the american retail is just to small a term to catalog such a hughe variety of sticks. SFAC and Tekken 5 are extremely different sticks, unlike Horis vs Ascii sticks.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
japanese mods = custom,

for aesthetic looks it's still japanese retail, because changing the color is nto really enhancing the stick for something different.

as for american retail it's really anything you can easily buy in your local gamestore.

also MAS would fit into retail mod, why? because although you have to order it online, it really isn't something YOU made. and it's something everyone can easily do.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
japanese mods = custom,

for aesthetic looks it's still japanese retail, because changing the color is nto really enhancing the stick for something different.

as for american retail it's really anything you can easily buy in your local gamestore.

also MAS would fit into retail mod, why? because although you have to order it online, it really isn't something YOU made. and it's something everyone can easily do.
Well I just don't think that a joystick Mod and a joystick made from scratch should be on the same category, but it's your ball game, call it what you will.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
it's still a mod if you change the stick, but no the balltop.

though come to think of it, you are right, it is way different a mod from a custom regardless, because a mod could be something real simple (changing the stick) to something complicated (soldering, desoldering, and wiring)....

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
it's still a mod if you change the stick, but no the balltop.

though come to think of it, you are right, it is way different a mod from a custom regardless, because a mod could be something real simple (changing the stick) to something complicated (soldering, desoldering, and wiring)....
It is a pickle allright, keep us posted with the new terms.

claymin

Rugal's Thug
I have one that I built from scratch. It looks pretty shabby but works like a champ :)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I had some spare time last week-end and I tried to install a Seimitsu LS-32 inside one of my Neo stick. It wasn't easy (a LS-32 is BIG) but I managed to fit it inside the case properly. The most important thing to me was to keep the original look of the stick and I didn't want to add screws on the front of the stick. I found a way to secure the LS-32 but there was a lot of work to do with the plastic and I had to use many tools. Anyway, now it's nice from both the inside and the outside. I kept the metal plate under the buttons and with the LS-32, the stick is now a bit heavier than the original and that's great.

Front
seimitsustickcoryoontr2.jpg

Back (It's impossible to fit the stick without drilling a hole on the back. Fortunaly a regular LS-32 dust cover fit perfectly)
seimitsustickcoryoon2pf5.jpg

In the dark (I have installed red, yellow, green and blue leds inside the Seimitsu buttons, the pic don't do them justice, they are really nice, the light comes from the clear plungers)
seimitsustickcoryoon3wh2.jpg

This stick is awesome. The Seimitsu LS-32 is just the best stick ever in my opinion, I use it for both shmups and fighters. I'll mod my other neo stick soon, I have some other ideas :D

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's pretty great. I love the size of a regular Neo stick, I just wish it was built of better parts. I'm fine with the stick, really, but the buttons seriously need help. I feel like I'm going to break the thing when I am playing a shooter, and I simply can't mash the button as fast as I can on a better arcade stick when I'm playing something like Metal Slug.

The stick I'm currently messing with is a MAS Neo Geo arcade stick, I just recently put in a new Happ competition stick with a stiff spring and some competition buttons. It's nice, but it's still not quite the right combination I'm looking for in a stick. I have several sticks on various systems, and none quite feel right to me.

Ghosthand

n00b
Sorry to revive a somewhat dead thread. Just wanted to say how impressed I am by Coryoons Neo stick! That thing looks amazing and I'm sure it must play wonderfully! Thats exactly the kind of mod I want to do on mine! Does anyone know the steps of how to go about it? Any help is appreciated!

turbo D

Not so MEGA, eh?
I've been using the hori fighting stick3 for ps3 lately. Its pretty cool. The stick and buttons are nice and clicky. It has a good solid feel to it.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Just ordered a Dual Pro Mas Stick for PS/PS2/Dreamcast (w/Optical 360). Anyone else use these for fighters? I'm mainly going to be using it for MvC2 and 3rd Strike.

Currently building a custom supergun/neo-geo stick with sanwa joy and seimitsu pushbuttons. I'll put up a pic when it's finished.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
cannonball said:
Just ordered a Dual Pro Mas Stick for PS/PS2/Dreamcast (w/Optical 360). Anyone else use these for fighters? I'm mainly going to be using it for MvC2 and 3rd Strike.

Currently building a custom supergun/neo-geo stick with sanwa joy and seimitsu pushbuttons. I'll put up a pic when it's finished.
How much are this dual pro's going for? I'm not a fan of optical sticks, 'cause directions tend to get iffy when the 5v line is not consistent. Really I don't see what the big deal is with this things, people whine about the joystick making noise...well don't tell me the buttons are optical too! However everybody has their own taste, and I would like to see what their dual set up looks like.

cannonball

15 Year Member
electricgrave said:
How much are this dual pro's going for? I'm not a fan of optical sticks, 'cause directions tend to get iffy when the 5v line is not consistent. Really I don't see what the big deal is with this things, people whine about the joystick making noise...well don't tell me the buttons are optical too! However everybody has their own taste, and I would like to see what their dual set up looks like.

The only place I found selling it was arcadeshock, and it was $180. I wasn't sure about the optical either, but it was the only thing I could find that supported dreamcast as well as the ps2 with direct wiring for each system. As far as the buttons, as far as I know they are not optical.

I probably paid too much, but I didn't feel like waiting months to have a custom stick built by someone on srk or tear apart dreamcast and ps2 controllers myself to build something like that.

I'll let you know what I think of the optical once it gets here. I've only used sanwa up until this point aside from my neo cab which has standard happ bat styles (not perfect 360).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
cannonball said:
The only place I found selling it was arcadeshock, and it was $180. I wasn't sure about the optical either, but it was the only thing I could find that supported dreamcast as well as the ps2 with direct wiring for each system. As far as the buttons, as far as I know they are not optical.

I probably paid too much, but I didn't feel like waiting months to have a custom stick built by someone on srk or tear apart dreamcast and ps2 controllers myself to build something like that.

I'll let you know what I think of the optical once it gets here. I've only used sanwa up until this point aside from my neo cab which has standard happ bat styles (not perfect 360).
I her you man! 180 is actually a very good deal as custom sticks do cost more than that, specially if it's a dual player.

BTW the optical buttons was a joke!:lolz:

cannonball

15 Year Member
electricgrave said:
BTW the optical buttons was a joke!:lolz:

haha yeah I had no idea. Who knows what they'll come up with next. :lolz:

This optical stick scares me though...just seems like there's too much that can break on it. I heard they used to be more reliable before Happ took them over. I'm not really up on American parts that much though, so I'm not sure if that's correct. I guess worst case I can always swap in a competition stick pretty easily if anything goes wrong.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
cannonball said:
haha yeah I had no idea. Who knows what they'll come up with next. :lolz:

This optical stick scares me though...just seems like there's too much that can break on it. I heard they used to be more reliable before Happ took them over. I'm not really up on American parts that much though, so I'm not sure if that's correct. I guess worst case I can always swap in a competition stick pretty easily if anything goes wrong.
That's right! is an easy swap, just make sure you disconnect that 5v wire and either snip it or tape it safely to a wall of the case so it doesn't make contact with anything else, you can allways use this line in the future for LED's or anything that requires 5v power.

gleason

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My new favorite, daily use, Captain America Inspired, all Sanwa

hrapej7.jpg

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Just recently got my hrap2 modded
P1000800-1.jpg

These are the same type of buttons Coryoon used on his neo stick I think. I want to do his led mod too, just dont know how.

Also just received a Hori Neo Stick in the mail today. The stick on the hori is a bit stiff. Any suggestions on what to do to loosen it up? What kind of grease/lube to use?

gleason

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My Hori rack, the two black ones are wired for NEO GEO only, I could have plugged part of the holes but decided to just double up on the B C D buttons so they could be used for both "pinky" and "thumb" players. The orange button is A+B combined for shooters or strong slash in SS, noobish but fun :lolz:. I guess it could also be wired to select if I ever get another consolized atomiswave. The other 3 are HRAPS for PS2. All of them are All Sanwa.

1007038ejn1.jpg