What arcade stick do you own?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
eek said:
This looks pretty decent: Elecom USB Arcade Stick

I just checked out the link, it doesn't look that bad, the buttons remind me of the VSHG's, and the stick does look cheap, for some reason i felt that if i clicked i'd be dissappointed but it's not a bad alternative.

and speaking of alternatives:

http://acteck.com/_es/prod_detail.php?id_prod=AGJ-4500&cat=Joystick para PC

it's made in mexico. I definetley want to try it out. at least for a change between japanese and american sticks. then again i heard also good things about the saulabi sticks made in korea or hong kong..

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
electricgrave said:
Dude, fucking relax! I know where you coming from with the SRK comment, but this guy is allright, plus I did ask anyway.

Nobody asked your opinion. I apologized and cleared things up. If Paik cared he would have flamed me already.

I cancelled my SRK membership way before Paik became an SRk member. So stop kissing his butt.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Nobody asked your opinion. I apologized and cleared things up. If Paik cared he would have flamed me already.

I cancelled my SRK membership way before Paik became an SRk member. So stop kissing his butt.
I'm not kissing butt here, just stating the facts, don't take it personal! Relax, sit down and shut the fuck up! Try to learn something for a change.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
electricgrave said:
I'm not kissing butt here, just stating the facts, don't take it personal! Relax, sit down and shut the fuck up! Try to learn something for a change.

The foul language isn't necessary. I'm just getting a rise out of you youngster, so get over it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
zapatistab said:
The foul language isn't necessary. I'm just getting a rise out of you youngster, so get over it.
OK fair enough, now back to the subject.

Jeff Bogard> I like the USB Elecom better than the mexican made one, I think those buttons look like the SFA stick, and they sucked big time, but I guess playing it could be different.

The USB Elecom stick, looks like a nice box for a mod, plus it has a USB encoder that works on PS3.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
electricgrave said:
So there you have it. I must add, you can easily use sanwa on the tekken stick frame for the stick, if you notice the sanwa JLP comes with a metal plate that can be taken off, and below it there's a set up of holes that fit perfectly on the tekken frame set up, use the screws used in there originally, and bam! done.

Very "entry level" Paik, very entry level, I just gotta file those taps on the button holes, new art and I'm all set.

Yup that's what most people do because of the tutorial that someone wrote a while back. I forget who wrote it but it's a good tutorial for the T5 stick.

And I think you mean JLF not JLP : ) A lot of people like the octagon gate for fighting too but just not the Japanese or REAL gamers : ) Haha.

As for the rest of the thread, I think we're all settled. No need to get too upset over anything so tiny as this thread : )

~Paik

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I don't know if it's been discussed here.

but outside the Virtua stick and the SF anniversary, I saw hori's Fighting Stick EX for the regular Xbox, anybody know any other decent sticks for the regular xbox?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Xbox Dead Or Alive stick is somewhat decent.

BTW, here's my favorite sticks ( I do have a few more but these 3 are the best sticks ever for me).

stickcoryoonyk6.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Coryoon said:
The Xbox Dead Or Alive stick is somewhat decent.

BTW, here's my favorite sticks ( I do have a few more but these 3 are the best sticks ever for me).

stickcoryoonyk6.jpg
I like the one in the middle, never seen it before. Is the AES ball top just a ball top change, or does it have a Sanwa inside? Also are those buttons 24mm screw on or snap in?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
have you not been paying attention?

that's the VSHG.

BTW, coryoon i've yet to try semitsu buttons (unless they're in the VSHG). I really want to make a comparison in the future. i know that hrap has them...

seems like the Hori fighting stick EX is harder to find than what i thought....

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
jeff bogard said:

that's the VSHG.

BTW, coryoon i've yet to try semitsu buttons (unless they're in the VSHG). I really want to make a comparison in the future. i know that hrap has them...

Well, they looks differents to begin with, the Sanwa buttons are more convex. Also, the Seimitsu plastic is somewhat cheaper and the spring is a little bit different but nothing really noticeable if you ask me. The micro switch quality is great, probaly the same as Sanwa.

The Seimitsu buttons from the HRAP Special Edition are the equivalent of the OBSF-RG serie from Sanwa, the micro-swicthes are the same (about 5 time more restiant than the regular OBSF buttons).

BTW, the buttons inside the VSGHG are the regular Sanwa OSBF buttons, not OBSF-RG nor Seimitsu.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:

that's the VSHG.

Sorry, I'm not that much into this type of sticks, I like to build my own from scratch.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Coryoon said:
Well, they looks differents to begin with, the Sanwa buttons are more convex. Also, the Seimitsu plastic is somewhat cheaper and the spring is a little bit different but nothing really noticeable if you ask me. The micro switch quality is great, probaly the same as Sanwa.

The Seimitsu buttons from the HRAP Special Edition are the equivalent of the OBSF-RG serie from Sanwa, the micro-swicthes are the same (about 5 time more restiant than the regular OBSF buttons).

BTW, the buttons inside the VSGHG are the regular Sanwa OSBF buttons, not OBSF-RG nor Seimitsu.
What about the AES mod, could you fill me in, please?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
electricgrave said:
What about the AES mod, could you fill me in, please?

This one is an original Neo Geo stick with a Sanwa 30 balltop and Sanwa OBSF 24 snap in buttons.

I love the original stick, it was my first real levered microswitches stick. I actualy prefer the original Neo Geo stick to a Sanwa JLF because it has a shorter throw and a harder spring. I also like the lower height and I think that the precision is better when it's not used to death of course.

That remind me that there is a problem with the conception of this stick. The restrictor gate is made of metal and the sharp sides cut the white plastic part at the botom of the stick. This plastic part is the one which also hit the microswitchs and if it's used to death, the precision is affected.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Coryoon said:
This one is an original Neo Geo stick with a Sanwa 30 balltop and Sanwa OBSF 24 snap in buttons.

I love the original stick, it was my first real levered microswitches stick. I actualy prefer the original Neo Geo stick to a Sanwa JLF because it has a shorter throw and a harder spring. I also like the lower height and I think that the precision is better when it's not used to death of course.

That remind me that there is a problem with the conception of this stick. The restrictor gate is made of metal and the sharp sides cut the white plastic part at the botom of the stick. This plastic part is the one which also hit the microswitchs and if it's used to death, the precision is affected.
I guess this is the same stick used on the new style Neo sticks, I've been wanting to mod one of those with some 24 snappers, but there's not a lot of cleareance to work with. The New Neo Sticks use that same square metal gate you just described, but the buttons don't use switches, they use rubber graphite contacts, so I would like some switching action in there.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I used the neo geo stick not too long ago. and i was surprised on its quality. one of the few stick i've used that have considered no modding was required. However, now that you note those 2 things. It's very interesting.

im kinda drunk now, but elctrigrave did you ever post the sticks you have?

anyway, nice inside info coryoon.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
electricgrave said:
I guess this is the same stick used on the new style Neo sticks, I've been wanting to mod one of those with some 24 snappers, but there's not a lot of cleareance to work with. The New Neo Sticks use that same square metal gate you just described, but the buttons don't use switches, they use rubber graphite contacts, so I would like some switching action in there.

I didn't try nor opened those new sticks but I asume that you'll find those buttons soldered onto a PCB. As you probably know, you can remove this PCB from the original AES stick (it's not necessary) but I'm sure that you can't do that with those Playstation version because you'll need the chip(s) from the PCB (the AES version has no chips). Anyways, I found a way to keep the PCB and the metal plate under the buttons. The Sanwa 24 microswitches feet perfectly inside the 4 originals square holes used to hold the original rubber graphite contacts. If they're identical in the newest version, you'll just have to install the Sanwa buttons, putting back the plate and then use some insulator tape and put the PCB on top, under the microswitchs, you'll have a nice looking stick from both the outside and the inside.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Coryoon said:
I didn't try nor opened those new sticks but I asume that you'll find those buttons soldered onto a PCB. As you probably know, you can remove this PCB from the original AES stick (it's not necessary) but I'm sure that you can't do that with those Playstation version because you'll need the chip(s) from the PCB (the AES version has no chips). Anyways, I found a way to keep the PCB and the metal plate under the buttons. The Sanwa 24 microswitches feet perfectly inside the 4 originals square holes used to hold the original rubber graphite contacts. If they're identical in the newest version, you'll just have to install the Sanwa buttons, putting back the plate and then use some insulator tape and put the PCB on top, under the microswitchs, you'll have a nice looking stick from both the outside and the inside.
I'm sorry if you missunderstood, what I meat was the neo new style sticks, the curvy ones padre! I'm sure you've seen the before. They are only for the NEO GEO.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Oh I see, I don't like this one much, I think the first one is better. Do you have a pic of the inside by the way ? I have never opened any of those curvy sticks.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use a modified Dreamcast agetec arcade stick for my neo-ing. very nice, though i may need to swap some buttons out.

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
I use this for xbox.

I also have a tekken 5 and sfac stick which I'll probably be selling soon.

And a Doa4 stick for 360, but I think I'm going to have a custom stick made for 360 soon. Maybe 2, with one being xbox compatible as well so I can have 2 sticks for each system.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
My faves, Bought the MAS from Butta in fact.
sticks00.jpg

Neo

When these are done they will bolth be usb for mame,
sticks01.jpg

PC

Modded Pelican,
sticks03.jpg

PS2

Some others,
sticks02.jpg

DC, Neo, GC

It's amazing how similar these 2 are,
sticks03.gif

DC, Neo

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
HellioN said:
It's amazing how similar these 2 are,
sticks03.gif

DC, Neo

You're right I was thinking about that the other day, how does the DC perform vs the Neo, is it the same material inside. I have to add that you can place sanwa 24mm buttons & a JPFL stick in there and turn that stick into a mean machine!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
where did you get that white/pink DC stick ?