What arcade stick do you own?

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Not really the right place to post this but what the hell is with "stakes winner 2" under my avatar?

~Paik

EDIT: Nevermind...it's gone. I guess it was just a post count thing.

Nubcakes

Stakes Winner
The hori fighting stick II is pretty good...just bought that recently...can't stand the jelly beans

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK I opened the Tekken Stick, and have some sanwa parts to replace it with, I have to say, I'm inpressed with the box, very well made, and the stick and buttons aren't half bad compared to sanwa, but they'll be replaced nonetheless.

For those of you buying the HRAP buy this and modify, you'll be so glad you did, plus you'll save a ton. Pic's coming when I'm done.

I'm also thinking ofmodifying the DOA hori stick, a very nice button layout, very candy like.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
hey guys sanwa buttons, usually when you buy them do you guys just buy the buttons, or buttons and harness? or will the wiring do that's already in the stick?

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Nubcakes: The HFS2 is pretty crap. The stick is decent I suppose...on par with other Hori sticks but the buttons are crap. They aren't even microswitch based. I'd recommend modding it. I have done HFS2 mods in the past and they are not bad.

electricgrave: Yeah the T5 is a great deal if you can get it cheap. I guess it's become more "rare" nowadays that people think they can charge over $50 for it. I think it's a very good entry level mod for people. That being said, you can get an HRAP2 for less than $100 shipped now from some eBayers and that's very nice for some people who don't want to spend the time modding or want a white case with non-Tekken artwork..

I don't like HRAPs though. Never have. The case is just too big and bulky to make it really nice for me.

~Paik

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Paik4Life said:
Nubcakes: The HFS2 is pretty crap. The stick is decent I suppose...on par with other Hori sticks but the buttons are crap. They aren't even microswitch based. I'd recommend modding it. I have done HFS2 mods in the past and they are not bad.

electricgrave: Yeah the T5 is a great deal if you can get it cheap. I guess it's become more "rare" nowadays that people think they can charge over $50 for it. I think it's a very good entry level mod for people. That being said, you can get an HRAP2 for less than $100 shipped now from some eBayers and that's very nice for some people who don't want to spend the time modding or want a white case with non-Tekken artwork..

I don't like HRAPs though. Never have. The case is just too big and bulky to make it really nice for me.

~Paik
"Entry level" Gee thanks Paik! I don't think you remember who you're talking to here, I've been doing sticks for 5 years now, you've seen my stuff before and all I used was Happs, now I just started with sanwa/seimitsu, and when I saw the tekken stick for dirt money, I figure they'll do well for a box.

Anyway buddy, I wanted to ask you; what do you use for the metal and where do you get it? I've been looking everywhere for some, and that's what led me to gut the tekken stick, because I cannot find any sheet metal.

Actually I need some for my MVU4 so I can replace the metal frames for the CP, this way I can mount sanwa in it instead of seimitsu, and I want a nice clean look.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
RGP said:
Just a stock HRAP3 for me!
8 button gallore! Tha's top notch.:rolleyes:

I'm modifying and covering unnecessary buttons. 2 will have the 2 rows on top, and the other 2 will have a 6 button layout for crapcom games.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
electricgrave said:
"Entry level" Gee thanks Paik! I don't think you remember who you're talking to here, I've been doing sticks for 5 years now, you've seen my stuff before and all I used was Happs, now I just started with sanwa/seimitsu, and when I saw the tekken stick for dirt money, I figure they'll do well for a box.

Anyway buddy, I wanted to ask you; what do you use for the metal and where do you get it? I've been looking everywhere for some, and that's what led me to gut the tekken stick, because I cannot find any sheet metal.

Actually I need some for my MVU4 so I can replace the metal frames for the CP, this way I can mount sanwa in it instead of seimitsu, and I want a nice clean look.

Haha, no I wasn't saying you were an entry level person. When you suggested it for OTHER people to buy and mod instead of getting an HRAP. I was referring to those people. I've always liked your sticks. Very original. : )

It's probably easiest for you to buy sheet metal scraps from a local metal shop. Since the sizes you need will be small (for the needs of the metal shop) they will likely give you scraps or sell them to you cheap. That's my best suggestion. Or you can look around on the internet.

~Paik

Nubcakes

Stakes Winner
Well i'm completely "entry level" so I wouldn't know how to mod it without instructions. What buttons work best for the hori II?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Paik4Life said:
Haha, no I wasn't saying you were an entry level person. When you suggested it for OTHER people to buy and mod instead of getting an HRAP. I was referring to those people. I've always liked your sticks. Very original. : )

It's probably easiest for you to buy sheet metal scraps from a local metal shop. Since the sizes you need will be small (for the needs of the metal shop) they will likely give you scraps or sell them to you cheap. That's my best suggestion. Or you can look around on the internet.

~Paik
Thnks for the advice Paik, I gotta tell you I was very skeptical about this sanwa stuff, and thanks to you and other fellow stick builders my curiosity took a toll and I finally got some of that stuff, I have to say that I'm impressed.

Not the same feel as Happs, and from a personal perspective I still preffer Happs, but in the end they are noth top quality products, is just a matter of prefference.

Now...if I could only get a hold of seimitsu stuff.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
nubs: If you want to stay with Japanese style parts, any 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons will do the trick.

electric: Yeah, it's all preference. I grew up on Happ but I never liked them really. I'm glad I made the switch to Sanwa parts. For Seimitsu, right now the only person who sells them is AkihabaraShop (temporarily closed for update). ponyboy is going to get a select amount as well in the near future.

~Paik

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Paik4Life said:
nubs: If you want to stay with Japanese style parts, any 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons will do the trick.

electric: Yeah, it's all preference. I grew up on Happ but I never liked them really. I'm glad I made the switch to Sanwa parts. For Seimitsu, right now the only person who sells them is AkihabaraShop (temporarily closed for update). ponyboy is going to get a select amount as well in the near future.

~Paik
Paik what do you thin of 16 gauge steel sheets, is that good enough? Everything else was 22 gauge, and it was really bendy. Also what is your take on AkihabaraShop as far as ordering goes, how long does he take with this stuff?

The place where I get my sanwa is pretty reliable, but it has a very limited selection of colors.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
electricgrave said:
Paik what do you thin of 16 gauge steel sheets, is that good enough? Everything else was 22 gauge, and it was really bendy. Also what is your take on AkihabaraShop as far as ordering goes, how long does he take with this stuff?

The place where I get my sanwa is pretty reliable, but it has a very limited selection of colors.

I typically get 2mm or 4mm sheets of aluminum (5052 grade I think). They are for different purposes. But for a top panel, 2mm should be more than good enough.

AkihabaraShop is still the single best place to order parts (and the only place I order from). The prices are very good and all parts are factory fresh because they don't carry stock, they order directly from Sanwa/Seimitsu every order period. The best part is definitely the fact that they can get you ANYTHING that Sanwa or Seimitsu offers. No other seller can even come close to that. Hell, you'll be hard pressed to find any seller that sells both Sanwa and Seimitsu parts at all.

The worst part about Akihabara is probably the fact that since they order parts fresh, it takes a little while to get parts. I would say it takes about 3 weeks (from the order date) on average to get parts from them.

If you're looking for JUST Sanwa parts, then you probably don't benefit as much from ordering from AkihabaraShop, but again they offer every part and color unlike every other seller out there.

~Paik

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
jeff bogard said:
hey guys sanwa buttons, usually when you buy them do you guys just buy the buttons, or buttons and harness? or will the wiring do that's already in the stick?

When you buy a stick, you also have to buy a restrictor plate, as well as a wire harness, without either, your stick will either on the inside look like shit, and play liek shit. You need the restrictor plate for stopping the stick from over going its spots, and potentially damaging the stick, and you need the wire harness for a clean connection, you can solder direct, but it looks liek shit!

-idosk8

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
idosk8 said:
When you buy a stick, you also have to buy a restrictor plate, as well as a wire harness, without either, your stick will either on the inside look like shit, and play liek shit. You need the restrictor plate for stopping the stick from over going its spots, and potentially damaging the stick, and you need the wire harness for a clean connection, you can solder direct, but it looks liek shit!

-idosk8

Uh...all Sanwa sticks (JLF and JLW) comes stock with a square gate (aka restrictor plate). The only time you buy a separate one is if you want the octagon gate or 2-way gate (for JLF) or circular gate (for JLW). So, it will not "play like shit" if you don't buy a separate gate. Personally, I think the octagon gate is not nearly as nice as the stock square gate. For fighting games, Japanese arcade use the stock square get probably 99% of the time. Octagon gates are more popular among shmups (shoot 'em ups). 2-way gates are used for more classic games that require one axis movement. JLW feels very nice with a circular gate as opposed to a square gate. It's too bad a circular gate does not exist for the JLF.

The wire harness also isn't necessary, but it does make things nicer and easier to wire up and makes for easier replacement of parts in the future.

~Paik

Last edited:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
This thread lost it's purpose.

show off vs production.... I don't think it lost its purpose. if anything if it evolved i think it went for better.

nubcakes, ill be going to paik's later this month or next month, get in touch with me if you want to go to get that modded if youwant to...

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
jeff bogard said:
show off vs production.... I don't think it lost its purpose. if anything if it evolved i think it went for better.

nubcakes, ill be going to paik's later this month or next month, get in touch with me if you want to go to get that modded if youwant to...

Show off vs production, is great. But advertising for akahibarashop isn't. We all know by now where to get parts.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
zapatistab said:
Show off vs production, is great. But advertising for akahibarashop isn't. We all know by now where to get parts.

Obviously not, since he specifically asked me, not even the general thread, my take on Akihabara Shop. That's the ONLY reason I even brought it up. And I clearly stated negatives about Akihabara Shop as well. If I were posting every other post about how great Akihabara Shop is with a link in my signature, then I could see where your claims of advertising would be fair, but I'm not so please just calm yourself.

~Paik

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Paik4Life said:
Obviously not, since he specifically asked me, not even the general thread, my take on Akihabara Shop. That's the ONLY reason I even brought it up. And I clearly stated negatives about Akihabara Shop as well. If I were posting every other post about how great Akihabara Shop is with a link in my signature, then I could see where your claims of advertising would be fair, but I'm not so please just calm yourself.

~Paik

Actually a link would be better, I wouldn't care. Everyone does it.

Don't take it personal. I've had run ins with youngster moronic members over at SRK, and I am just taking it out on you. You seem like an SRk poster boy. I will lay off the akahibara stuff. :D

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
well if it was about semitsu's, i believe jlimports was also another option outside akihabara, and I think there was a member here selling them (who turned out to be the guy selling them on jlimports). I might have ran across another store online, but I don't know.

Other than that, i ca'nt think of much...

BTW, everyone else predicting hori's VF5 X360 still will just be another variation of the DOA4 stick?

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
I definitely posted in SRK before N-G.com so I guess I could be considered a poster boy. : ) The good part about SRK is that I found other forums that have a lower idiot to member ratio. Personally, I like Killer-Cabs the best, but the fact that it's really a EU website makes it not that useful for stuff like trading.

But I know what you mean about the general masses of people who post on SRK. You see the SAME damn thread about "Where to buy parts" or "I want to buy a custom stick" multiple times a week. The most annoying is when you get a generic post title like "I need help!" I can definitely get on board about getting pissed at them, but hopefully no one thinks that I'm one of them since I'm the one who offers help to people who ask (good) questions.

EDIT: jlimporst closed down recently. Their current order is their last. That's why I didn't suggest them. Really the only REALLY good alternative for Sanwa parts is ponyboy. His prices are great even if his selection is a bit small. And he's faster than anyone else I've ever dealt with. Other sellers/stores often have Chinese knockoff parts.

The VF5 stick for 360 will probably be just as you said. A modified DOA4 or Hori Fighting Stick 3. Both which aren't the best for modifying due to the thin case.

~Paik

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Actually a link would be better, I wouldn't care. Everyone does it.

Don't take it personal. I've had run ins with youngster moronic members over at SRK, and I am just taking it out on you. You seem like an SRk poster boy. I will lay off the akahibara stuff. :D
Dude, fucking relax! I know where you coming from with the SRK comment, but this guy is allright, plus I did ask anyway.

This thread has evolve into a "stick making/modding" and that my friend is worth gold. Perhaps we could start a new thread in the tech forum, but what for?! People that post in this thread usually have similar questions/objectives.

OK on another note.

Paik> THanks, I knew Akihibara was slo9w with the orders, that's what stopped me all this time to order something form them, I'll work with what I have which is not bad at all, and I agree with most of what you said about the JPL and JWL, except the octagonal gate, I think it rocks on fighting games.

For those that want to dare, I have 2 JLW, and I bought the circular plates or "oval plates" like they called them, my friend also bought 2 JLW bat tops, and he didn't get the plates, so after further fiddling arounf I figured why not use a step unibit, and drill the square gates to make them circular for his sticks, and it worked awsome!

So there you have it. I must add, you can easily use sanwa on the tekken stick frame for the stick, if you notice the sanwa JLP comes with a metal plate that can be taken off, and below it there's a set up of holes that fit perfectly on the tekken frame set up, use the screws used in there originally, and bam! done.

Very "entry level" Paik, very entry level, I just gotta file those taps on the button holes, new art and I'm all set.