What arcade stick do you own?

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
sonofx51 said:
I got the berserk stick when he was in desperate need of cash so it was cheap (had a picture of Sol Bad Guy on it when I got it ) the driller stick wound up costing about $130 shipped with the PSONE controller in it. As for the problem with the button presses I had the same issue, but when I supplied the controller with +5V on the power line of the PSONE controller from the Neo it worked fine, basically the +5V from the Neo to the RED wire on the PSONE controller.

Thanks for the info, does paintedpale still make sticks for people? I might ask him to set me up as his work looks top-notch.:)

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
what's the average price for a custom stick made from some of the "desginers"from srk?

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
paintedpale has stopped making sticks, he is coming back with a team and he says better sticks, design wise. The average stick I would say would be about $140-150 shipped.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
sonofx51 said:
paintedpale has stopped making sticks, he is coming back with a team and he says better sticks, design wise. The average stick I would say would be about $140-150 shipped.

Thanks for the info. $150 sounds steep, but if the work is very well done, I don't mind paying that kind of money.

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
I love both these sticks, they are both built very sturdy, respond extremely well and when you design it, the stick is that much more special. Most stick builders will do one with happ parts which are cheaper if you like american style sticks and buttons. I am sure you could lower prices if you provide your own sanwa stick, buttons and PSONE or whatever controller you wish to use with it.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
ill think about it, i have a cap when it comes to buying sticks. Regardless, all i heard is how good they are, so im pretty sure eventually ill cave in, hopefully by the 3/4 of the year or so....

hopefully by then, ill have a clearer idea on whether ill order it for DC, PS2, or whatever system.

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
If you're looking for a custom stick with Japanese parts, $150 is probably below average. I used to build custom sticks for people and I've charged over $200 for certain sticks. That being said, my way of building sticks is a lot more complicated and time consuming and uses higher cost materials than 99% of builders out there.

For a plain rectangular solid box design made out of MDF or cheap wood like pine, $150 shipped is an decent deal. Making such a box literally takes an hour if you know what you're doing. If you do a few at a time, the overall time for each would be even less than an hour.

For one made of nicer wood that is stained you'll be paying closer to $200 shipped. Anything that is a unique shape or contains metal will obviously drive up cost as well.

~Paik

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Paik4Life said:
If you're looking for a custom stick with Japanese parts, $150 is probably below average. I used to build custom sticks for people and I've charged over $200 for certain sticks. That being said, my way of building sticks is a lot more complicated and time consuming and uses higher cost materials than 99% of builders out there.

For a plain rectangular solid box design made out of MDF or cheap wood like pine, $150 shipped is an decent deal. Making such a box literally takes an hour if you know what you're doing. If you do a few at a time, the overall time for each would be even less than an hour.

For one made of nicer wood that is stained you'll be paying closer to $200 shipped. Anything that is a unique shape or contains metal will obviously drive up cost as well.

~Paik

That's right!:mr_t:

Most people have no idea the ordeal that is building a stick, 150 is a deal and a half!

I've been making sticks for 4 years now, I use Happs only, and when I mention starting price is 150 people look at you crossed eye:loco: like they even now what they are paying for, some of them might even answer "oh, I'll just buy that PS2 stick made by pelican", and have no idea of the difference.

There's a lot of cheapos out there, that think a custom joystick is just another peripheral, but in turth is the ultimate peripheral, the only thing that connects you tp the games you love so much, it can become so personal that is an extension of you.

I usually go into details and ask for ideal placing of stick and buttons for folks, when is someone I can see in person, I bring an example, and let them see if that's comfortable for them or not, then you jump into different layouts and what not.

I hate cheapos!!:mad:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
paik, i need your help.

hey, i just got an ascii stick for the DC (i know you love ascii's), have you modded one of these?

i feel like changing the stick, i have a spare JLF-8Y sanwa, would that do, or what stick and parts would i need?

thanx

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Just saying it is a DC ASCII doesn't really help. Show a picture. You should be able to replace it with no problems using a JLF since most ASCII cloned the JLF. The only different might be the shaft size. It should be pretty self explanatory how to mod it if you can take it apart.

~Paik

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
ill send you the pics once i get my laptop back.

contrary to the Agetec Stick for DC (the green one). this one was kinda weird. once ill send you the pics, i guess you'll have a better idea and what not.

BTW, speaking of sticks,

i saw the hori Fighting stick 3 yesterday on gamestop. makes me wonder if theyll ever get an hrap in american shelves...

Last edited:

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
If you want to just replace the existing joystick with a JLF, it shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, ASCII did a very close clone. You should be about to remove it by just removing the screws holding down the joystick base. Just put in the JLF base and use the screws to hold it down. The only "trouble" you'll have is that you need to rewire the directions. That's not hard either. I just got back from a trip so I'm too tired to get into it now. If you want, just hit me up on AIM.

~Paik

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Last edited:

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
They are easy to wire up. The buttons take 2 wires per button and the stick takes 2 wires per direction(8 wires total, 4 directions), its really too easy. Your hardest part will be wiring up the controller port plug, but just test continutety and label all the wires before hand and you should be ok.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
where im having problems is that the wires on the other end (from stick to terminal) end up attached to the silicon (so im guessing i'd have to solder).

and the stick i want to replace has wires in a group kinda like a harness. So unlike the others (which connect directly one wire individually) the harness ones all hook up in group. i don't know if i would have to disconnect and get rid of the harness (white thing that gets ahold of the wires) and fuck around witht the wires. or what...

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
All you have to do is just use one ground that leads to the joystick. It is a common ground anyway. The other 3 ground wires you can just ignore. Like I talked to you online, I'm more than happy to give you advice if you want to do it on your own or to do it for you.

~Paik

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
word up, thanx paik.

Ive been kinda busy with work lately. but hopefully by mid to the end of next week, ill be able to send them and what not.

other than that, i just replied cause i think he had the wrong idea of what i was trying to do, hopefully when i send them to you, you can word up yourself what exactly it was i needed (im really not that good with arcade stick terminology).....

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
word up, thanx paik.

Ive been kinda busy with work lately. but hopefully by mid to the end of next week, ill be able to send them and what not.

other than that, i just replied cause i think he had the wrong idea of what i was trying to do, hopefully when i send them to you, you can word up yourself what exactly it was i needed (im really not that good with arcade stick terminology).....
Build you own arcade sticks website has good tutorials on button/sticks wiring, I think you ought to go there and read some of this stuff, once you get the idea you are going to hit yourself on the head for not understanding before.

DO NOT SOLDERED OR DESTROY THE HARNESS YET!! If you have wires coming to the original stick, and you have JFL harness you should be able to mount a bracket and put them together, or splice them.

One stick has 4 entries and 1 common, thus you have a harness with 5 wires, so trace the paths and you'll know what each wire will do, then splice the wires respectively.
100_0280copy.jpg

Fair warning, once you're done with this small project, you won't stop wanting to do more, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Ah actually the way you were describing it I thought you were talking about a regular microswitch stick. I totally forgot what stick you were doing.

Those Sanwa clones are easy. It would make it nice to have a JLF-H 5-pin harness. You can attach them easily to the 4 directions and the ground. You won't need the +5V since you want to use the JLF. You can do it solderlessly pretty easily. You can go the "ghetto" way and just twist together the wires and insulate them with like electrical tape or you can use various wire connectors. Either way, it's an easy job.

I'll talk to you again later on AIM if you're around.

~Paik

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_wiring.shtml

Here's a primer, but go through the website it has tons of good information.

Take the original stick apart and let's look at the PCB there, it may have an insert with harness similar to your sanwa, so you might get lucky and not need any splicing or brackets at all.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I'm considering an original Neo Geo stick but with LED lights MVS style by neotropolis.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jdotaku said:
I'm considering an original Neo Geo stick but with LED lights MVS style by neotropolis.
Princess sticks?! Stay away from that, and buy some games instead.