How do you spot a Neo-Geo CD boot?

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
How do I spot a Neo-Geo CD boot? I mean I can spot a burned CD, but what about a pressed one? Isn't it pretty easy to reproduce Neo-Geo CDs? Or am I totally wrong? (I was offered a Brikin'ger pretty cheap, so I just wanted to know if there are boots, too).

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Based on a few Neo CD pictures I have seen, they appear to have really simple text and stuff on them, so who knows really... I haven't heard anything of CD boots on these boards though.

Someone else would probably be of more help.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
They usually will not have any sound as the result of the audio tracks being left out

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
mainman said:
They usually will not have any sound as the result of the audio tracks being left out
Why should that be so?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
One-Up said:
Why should that be so?

Good question but apparently the audio tracks can not be reproduce together with the data when you try to clone/burn a neo cd game.

I bought a neo cd about 7 years ago and it came with 17 boots all of which where missing their audio.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I don't know why it would be "harder" or anything to copy the music with the data ... it's certainly possible to burn them complete and they're not a strange format or anything. The bootleggers were probably just lazy or sloppy.

There's a CD bootleg guide posted on Neogeocd.net. That will probably answer some questions for you.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
With old CD burning software it was not possible to burn a mixed media CD. The CD was either Music or Data, hence the missing music.

Newer programs such as Nero let you create a mixed media CD.

If anything just look at everything as a whole: Spine card, jewel case w/embossed logo(some official games dont have this but most do), insert, and CD.

If its just disc only then I wouldnt bother.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I don't know why it would be "harder" or anything to copy the music with the data ... it's certainly possible to burn them complete and they're not a strange format or anything. The bootleggers were probably just lazy or sloppy.

There's a CD bootleg guide posted on Neogeocd.net. That will probably answer some questions for you.

This guide helped me A LOT to recognize a few bootleg NGCD games I (accidentaly) bought this week.

I bought a lot/pack of 21 NGCD games and 3 of them were boots.

It's hard to say if the game is legit or not just by staring at its cover .Unfortunately, I can't buy a NGCD anymore before asking about the 'bar code' pressed in each original cd. That's a vital question.

I recently bought a pack of ngcd games and from the 6 jpn games 2 were fake:

Magician Lord
Power Spikes II

I don´t know what kind of of boots you found but both here are mixed mode CDs, they don´t have the holographic bar code but have the NGCD code which means they were pressed not burned.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I never expected anyone would have thought of bootleging NGCD games. They weren't as expensive as home games weren't they?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Since it costs pennies to press a CD, the profit to cost ratio is better than boot carts.