I made my weird HNG64 "hybrid rev1/2" board work!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Some of you might remember the strange mobo I got when I ordered the HNG64 pack from vektorlogic:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113671

And the instructions by neoturfmasta on how to jammafy a rev.1:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123594

I've finally decided to try this. I did the audio mod, and hooked it to a simple supergun (vhsgun) that uses a PC AT psu, and connected two 5V and two ground cables to the extra power connector just to be safe. This time it worked OK and with sound.

Well, I tried my 4 games (all japanese) and guess what? Only the 2 Samurai games worked. Buriki and Fatal Fury gave an error message and didn't work. So I guess this is the board version that only works with those 2 games.

Does somebody know if this could be solved by replacing the bios? The socketed bios chip is very big, 64 pins, and is labelled

TOSHIBA
TMP87CH40N-4828
SNK-IOJ1.00A 9745H

I don't know if it is possible to burn a EPROM this big.

Thanks.

JONESGFX

Crazed MVS Addict
I can't help you there but I have a old rev 1 board I pulled out a unit I'd let go for real cheap/trade if your wanting/needing one.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I thought there was a rumor or some such about a korean board that only ran the Samshos. Could this possibly be one of those units? Anyone have any more info about this?

Glad to hear you got that thing working man!

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Some of you guys blow my mind with these crazy mod jobs. If I can't hook it up to my TV and play it right out of the box, I'm screwed.

-Tech

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Grinwing said:
I thought there was a rumor or some such about a korean board that only ran the Samshos. Could this possibly be one of those units? Anyone have any more info about this?

Glad to hear you got that thing working man!

I said that when Dani first posted about this. I'm sure that's what board it is, especially with news that it only plays the SS games.

SSS

neo retired
Amano Jacu said:
Some of you might remember the strange mobo I got when I ordered the HNG64 pack from vektorlogic:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113671

And the instructions by neoturfmasta on how to jammafy a rev.1:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123594

I've finally decided to try this. I did the audio mod, and hooked it to a simple supergun (vhsgun) that uses a PC AT psu, and connected two 5V and two ground cables to the extra power connector just to be safe. This time it worked OK and with sound.

Well, I tried my 4 games (all japanese) and guess what? Only the 2 Samurai games worked. Buriki and Fatal Fury gave an error message and didn't work. So I guess this is the board version that only works with those 2 games.

Does somebody know if this could be solved by replacing the bios? The socketed bios chip is very big, 64 pins, and is labelled

TOSHIBA
TMP87CH40N-4828
SNK-IOJ1.00A 9745H

I don't know if it is possible to burn a EPROM this big.

Thanks.

Sounds like a project for Razoola. I'd love a hyper unibios if it's possible.

Edit: Just thought of a good use for it.. Unlock silber without having to leave Buriki in the system at all times.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Sounds like a project for Razoola. I'd love a hyper unibios if it's possible.

Edit: Just thought of a good use for it.. Unlock silber without having to leave Buriki in the system at all times.

being able to play as all characters in Samurai Spirits 64 and 64 2?

SSS

neo retired
wasabi said:
being able to play as all characters in Samurai Spirits 64 and 64 2?

It would be neat to play as Yuga and Gandara, however I'm not sure if that would be possible. I'm not aware that they were ever meant to be unlocked, and they may not have been assigned key strokes for moves.

Silber on the other hand was meant to be unlocked.