PULSTAR!

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I just got Pulstar yesterday on MVS and have been playing it a few hours...imo one of the best hori shmups out there.

But there is no faq to be found anywhere, so I was wondering if yall had some tips & tricks :D This game is HARD btw, I'm playing on difficulty 4, but DAMN, I can only reach level 3 and I die every 10 seconds there lol.

And what about the different powerups?

S= speed
H= heat seeking missle
The rest I don't even know?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
it's quite hard if not impossible to survive in pulstar after losing the first life

you need to beat the game without losing a single ship

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I love pulstar, but surely that just makes it a flawed game.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Don't be a wuss, play on level 8.

I love this game, but I hate the R-Type style of respawning from a checkpoint instead of where you left off.

Blazing Star is great too. I like that they changed the respawning to where you left off, but hate that you have to press the damn shot button so fast to get a powerful shot. Because of repetative stress I no longer play Blazing Star. I would compare one round of Blazing Star to jacking off at an extremely fast pace for 8 hours...

Not that I would know what that is like...

Don't judge me! :emb:

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I'm getting blazing star next week :buttrock:

I already played teh romz years a go, but the real thing is so much better :D

daybona

Juz,
I would compare one round of Blazing Star to jacking off at an extremely fast pace for 8 hours...

Not that I would know what that is like...

Don't judge me!

:lol:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I could never get into Pulstar like I wanted to.
The first two levels put me off because they were R-Type 2, Neo-ized. It just felt hackneyed to me, even if some ex-Irem guys worked on it.
After that it got better because it was definitely more original, but still...

Blazing Star's the absolute shit, one of my favorite shmups -- and it's a Neo shmup, so that says something.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
i always use a cheat in the beginning of the game. as soon as you do this cheat you will be able to 1CC this game as you dont have to upgrade your weapons or speed. when you start the game and your ship is flickering you can do this cheat.: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, A. now your speed is fast, weapon is full but you can change it for another one, and your bomb is the best one, the one that goes straight and makes a big explosion.

one tip i got for you is that a lot of times when you see an upgrade its actually for that peace of that level so it makes it easier for that part of the level. but you dont neccesarrally need to do that. you can use the strongest weapons for that too. personally i find them great for finishing the game quickly, sometimes even 1cc the game. quickly still means about 40/45 minutes or more even.

best bomb is the one that goes straight and explodes to make a big explosion that will stay in that place for a few secs destroying anything it comes in contact with. best normall weapon is the laser that goes straight forward with the circles around it. this strongest weapon along with the strongest bomb enables you to quickly finish your opponnents of, if you decide to use the super bomb (A+B) it will ussually take the life of even the bosses in 1 shot. even if you do this you can still cheat in the beginning of the next level so your full power again.

i ussually dont cheat in most games but pulstar sucks hard without this cheat. it takes around 2 levels to fully upgrade your ship and all of that is gone ones you die ones. so i always start with this cheat thus making it a little less stresfull for myselfe.