the fifa world cup thread - Italy won, but Zidane had the best headbutt ever.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
racecar said:
. What constitutes an off-sides penalty? Is when the attackers are near'er to the the goalbox then the defensive player befor the ball is being passed into the offensive player
.. it's a really close call to make.. it's up to the lines man with the flag( they usually stay/moving with the last line of defence )

basically. if any attacking player is closer to the goal line than any defending player the moment the attacking team passes the ball is deemed offside.

Yes its true, the linesman was probably asleep on that one.

2point0

NEST Puppet
qube said:
I have a question though. What constitutes an off-sides penalty? Is it when the attackers are near the goalbox before the defensive players are?

Sorry for the stupid question...but I can't seem to understand what exactly an offsides is :spock:

Generally, there must be two defending players between the attacking player and the goal before the ball is passed to the attacking player. It's usually the goalie and a defender. The rule discourages the attacking player "cherry picking" right in front of the goal.

There are some recent modifications to the rule as far as whether the player in the "offside position" is participating in the play or some other crap that I haven't kept up with.

Pretty much the guy can't camp out in front of the goal with the goalie and wait to receive the ball. The infraction doesn't actually occur until the ball is played to the attacking player who is in the offside position.

It is not a silly question, but I think I might have just confused you even more...

I think you could even google it for video examples and interpretations.

sameh903

Goal! Goal! Goal!
two thumps up for germany, the last goal was soo impressive. even though, they had some holes in the defense, but they were good.

Poland, suck allll the way, they deserve the lose. very slow, i was expecting a lot from them, but they disappointed me so much.

England and Argentina, play tommorow, we will see how it goes.

so ready up :D

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
sameh903 said:
England and Argentina, play tommorow, we will see how it goes.

so ready up :D

will we see
- the hands of GOD- in this match:kekeke:

when ever i see egland and argintina in the same sentence ..i keep seeing that scene in my mind:tickled:

Last edited:

complexs6

Camel Slug
WTF - Bullsh!t, I never knew some players werent even born in the country they play for what the hell is up with this crap. I made a very short list of two, one is a German and the other an Ivory Coast player. I cant believe this, can one say I want to play for another country because my roots were from there, lol? This made me disappointed I wouldnt want any player who aint from the US to play on the US team same goes for any other country like Argentina.

From fifaworldcup.com -
Germany - 11 KLOSE Miroslav - Born in Oppeln in Poland
Ivory Coast - 20 DEMEL Guy - French,born

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
My wife is of Polish descent, so I watched the second game today too. Not near as interesting as the first game. I was hoping Poland would win...but apparently they are not very good :(

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
qube said:
That 4th German goal was awesome!

I think that I would like footie more if all games were like the opener today. Keep in mind, I know absolutely nothing about the sport, but that was a fun game to watch. A decent amount of early scoring got me into it, then the long defensive holds, then more scoring near the end.

That's the thing, most matches are not as scoring-intensive as this one. It was the opening match with the most goals in the history of the world cup, that should tell you something. :)

Football has become more offensive and faster over the past 20 years, it was a lot more technical back in the 1970s and 80s, and many teams (including the German team) still played a very defensive game in the 90s, this makes for not-so-hot matches to watch but if you grew up with football like me, you see these things with different eyes.

It's probably the same situation with me and American Football, I watched several matches and occasionally check out Super Bowl on TV (well, if I can find coverage of it on German TV that is...),but even tho I know the rules by now and got the general picture of the US leagues and all that jazz, I still have absolutely no clue about players, teams, all that background which basically makes the sport. That's because we live in different "mass sports hemispheres", you have full daily coverage of Football, Baseball and Basketball while on Euro TV, all you see is football, racing sports and athletics.

Ah well... yeah, Frings's goal as AMAZING, a very precise and unstoppable upper-right bomb.

The match itself was so-so, as mentioned by others, our defense was very weak and badly coordinated, and that's not because Ballack didn't play, it's a consequence of coach Klinsmann's overly offensive style. I mean, scoring is good and all but if you can't keep your box clean you won't stand a chance against better teams than Costa Rica.

Perhaps they should bring back Oliver Kahn, he wasn't as good in the last matches as he was before but he knew how to keep the defensive players together and on their toes, that's something Lehmann is not very good at.

yeah...

On thursday next week England will play vs.Trinidad-Tobago in my hometown Nürnberg! I have no tickets but will be there, there's a huge open-air screen where they show the game during a match party, will be great I guess... looking forward to meet some fans from abroad at the fan party... see you at the "house of 20 beers"! :drool:

A word on Miroslav Klose, yeah, he was born in Oppeln but his parents and grandparents where Germans, they lived in Schlesien/Ostpreussen which was part of Germany before WW2, so technically he's a German with Polish roots. "Oppeln" is the old German name of the now Polish city Opole, btw.

2point0

NEST Puppet
complexs6 said:
WTF - Bullsh!t, I never knew some players werent even born in the country they play for what the hell is up with this crap. I made a very short list of two, one is a German and the other an Ivory Coast player. I cant believe this, can one say I want to play for another country because my roots were from there, lol? This made me disappointed I wouldnt want any player who aint from the US to play on the US team same goes for any other country like Argentina.

From fifaworldcup.com -
Germany - 11 KLOSE Miroslav - Born in Oppeln in Poland
Ivory Coast - 20 DEMEL Guy - French,born

It's very common for people to play for countries other than the ones they were born and/or raised in.

A lot of the dutch players from previous world cups were from former Dutch territories like Kluivert and Seedorf, I think. There are a couple of Brazillians who play for countries other than Brazil. The French have a lot of players from former territories as well.

Prior to this world cup, especially in 94 and 98, the US had a lot of imports such as Earnie Stewart, Thomas Dooley and some other people I can't remember. It's only recently that we have enough home grown talent that we don't rely on the loose rules for national team affiliations. There are certain restrictions on playing for different national teams after a certain age though.

Ryan Giggs played youth international soccer for England, but now plays for Wales. There was some big deal about a player attempting to become a naturalized Dutch citizen in order to play for the Dutch in the world cup.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Espceially since the US is founded and made up by transplants.

If you were a soccer player and you had a choice to play for the US or Argentina, would it be that easy a decision for you?

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Disgusting first half from Paraguay - diving, cheating, dirty degenerates.

The referee's comical too: absurd fouls called against Crouchie, no yellow for Paredes in that challenge on Stevie G.

Fuck this Paraguay team, I hope they get steamrolled.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Valdez looks like a fantastic player though - any Werder fans around who can comment?

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Paredes = completely typical cheating cunt, can't stand this primadonna douchebag.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, that sure wasn't the best England can do.

Makes me wonder why they pay Beckham so much money, eh.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
gmw said:
Disgusting first half from Paraguay - diving, cheating, dirty degenerates.

lol
that's not the Gavin that I know. Chill out man;)

to be honest, England played one of the worst matches of the last...umm...4 years
yeah they can do better, but without Rooney I really dont know how can they even score a goal.

Takumaji said:

for the same reason why they still have the fucking Queen:D

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:
Well, that sure wasn't the best England can do.

The sad truth of it might is that england probably won't play much better in their other games. They didn't look good at all. They just took advantage of a couple of mistakes in the firs thalf by paraguay and in the second half they spent most of their time on their back foot trying to defend.

zer0hue

Angel's Love Slave
The England match was a snooze-fest. By contrast, the first half of the Sweden vs. T&T game has been surprisingly engaging for what was billed as a lop-sided match-up...

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Takumaji Makes me wonder why they pay Beckham so much money said:
it's all hype

anyway i just won some money cause england can't win by 3 goals:kekeke: :chimp: ...c'mon argintina i will make some arcade gear dough$.. if argintina wins their match win the ivory coast by 3 goals: praying:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
A 10 man Trinidad team beating Sweden would be a sight to see. Sweden can't seem to get their act together.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
A 10 man Trinidad team beating Sweden would be a sight to see. Sweden can't seem to get their act together.

it's a upset in the making( even if it's a draw)

ok on the side note.. are those pollens or paper or bug's in the air in the stadium??:annoyed:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
racecar said:
it's a upset in the making( even if it's a draw)

ok on the side note.. are those pollens or paper or bug's in the air in the stadium??:annoyed:

Thats very true. If sweden don't win it's their own fault. They had a lot of great chances.

I was wondering about that stuff floating around too. Looks a little like ash but there aren't any fireworks or flares going anywhere.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wow, Trinidad+Tobago vs. Sweden 0:0... I'm mildly amazed by Trinidad to be honest.

Look out England, they won't give you an easy match! :)

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:
Wow, Trinidad+Tobago vs. Sweden 0:0... I'm mildly amazed by Trinidad to be honest.

Look out England, they won't give you an easy match! :)

Oh yeah that just makes the tournament for them. T&T deserved that win. That goalie was phenominal too considering he found out he was playing just 10 minutes before the game. Sweden has a lot of improving too do because if they play that way that paraguay and england will just have their way with them.

zer0hue

Angel's Love Slave
Anyone who didn’t watch the Trinidad & Tobago match (as I almost didn’t) missed something pretty incredible...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kobylka68 said:
Oh yeah that just makes the tournament for them. T&T deserved that win. That goalie was phenominal too considering he found out he was playing just 10 minutes before the game. Sweden has a lot of improving too do because if they play that way that paraguay and england will just have their way with them.

The Swedes play overly predictable and aren't the fastest it seems, they definitely have to improve their offense.

There will be a mega party on the Trinidad and Tobago islands tonight...

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
I was terribly disappointed in the Sweden team.

Even with 10 players on the Trinidad team they could not muster a single goal.