the fifa world cup thread - Italy won, but Zidane had the best headbutt ever.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
I used to think the same thing.

Except, considering intl. US relationships, the players have to deal with the rest of the world hating them every time they play outside the US, and even here @ home. So, trust me they love their country.

Hahaha I saw that once, Some Italian player on another nation's team got yelled at constantly by Team Italy, and some wanted to pick fights with him.

What do you mean by no idea why mexico got in there? were you referring to the general comment (by bringing up mexico)?

I mean how they got so far into the Cup. Who knew Mexico can play Footy that well?

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I'm suprised that we couldn't just get the Mexicans to play for us....

..i think thats one thing the us can't buy... south american take pride into the fifa world cup it's like their olympic/sport...... it's all they have left

complexs6

Camel Slug
Its all they have (Period). Every since the 1900 England introduced soccer to south american and it caught on big.

I do remember Argentina winning the Olympics in Basketball, lol.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I also hope Germany will win but that's not very likely.

And yeah, technically the Allianz Arena is an awesome stadium but to be honest I don't like the white outer ring, it gives the whole thing an almost claustrophobic look, even tho you don't have this impression when you're inside. I've been to several league matches there and it was cool, but I prefer the old Olympia Stadion with its web-like roof, it's more elegant if you know what I mean.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

Germany has won before, even though back then they were juggernauts...bitch.

How are the Netherlands, Serbia & Montenegro, Ukraine, Croatia and Czech teams? Are they good?

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

And yeah, technically the Allianz Arena is an awesome stadium but to be honest I don't like the white outer ring, it gives the whole thing an almost claustrophobic look, even tho you don't have this impression when you're inside. I've been to several league matches there and it was cool, but I prefer the old Olympia Stadion with its web-like roof, it's more elegant if you know what I mean.

Th Germans have been runners up 4 times and winners 3 times, as I always believe you can never write of the Germans

Unless you watch V for Victory cause lets be realistic who could beat Sly Stallone when he's in goal

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Does anyone have a link to a website of the games to be shown
US's tv channels?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't write our lads off, the crowd will give them a big push, that's for sure... a cheering crowd of fans does wonders to the game of a team, so who knows, perhaps there will be another 2002-style final Germany vs Brazil... would be cool, the last one was a very nice game, even tho Brazil won.

The Dutch team is good, albeit not on the level they were a few years ago, at least that's my impression I got from their test matches. Still, they're a very strong opponent with good and very quick players. Germany - Holland matches always are special... and the Dutch know how to party, I was in Holland during World Cup 2002 and the soccer parties there were fantastic.

Serbia and Montenegro is powerful ("the stamina stars") but they aren't very good technicians, which will give them a hard time against technical teams like Czech Republic and the Africans. I rank the Czechs very highly, perhaps not on top position but they have excellent players and "player directors".

Hrvatska!! Heh, well, I like the fresh Croatian football... they don't seem fit enough for the cup, tho, statistics give them a big thumbs down.

Ukraine... well... they play Polish/Russian-style football, strong with lots of body contact, they suck at technical offense but have a good defense and keeper.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
I want to see Argentina vs Germany in the finals again, tag line would

Argentina won it in 1986 and Germany won it in 1990 but this time there wont be a next time

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
I don't write our lads off, the crowd will give them a big push, that's for sure... a cheering crowd of fans does wonders to the game of a team, so who knows, perhaps there will be another 2002-style final Germany vs Brazil... would be cool, the last one was a very nice game, even tho Brazil won.

The Dutch team is good, albeit not on the level they were a few years ago, at least that's my impression I got from their test matches. Still, they're a very strong opponent with good and very quick players. Germany - Holland matches always are special... and the Dutch know how to party, I was in Holland during World Cup 2002 and the soccer parties there were fantastic.

Serbia and Montenegro is powerful ("the stamina stars") but they aren't very good technicians, which will give them a hard time against technical teams like Czech Republic and the Africans. I rank the Czechs very highly, perhaps not on top position but they have excellent players and "player directors".

Hrvatska!! Heh, well, I like the fresh Croatian football... they don't seem fit enough for the cup, tho, statistics give them a big thumbs down.

Ukraine... well... they play Polish/Russian-style football, strong with lots of body contact, they suck at technical offense but have a good defense and keeper.

Thanks for the info, I hope S&M get a win or two. :)

complexs6

Camel Slug
Great goal by Germany, I still think they got an easy group, lol. I hope they go against the US and Argentina in this World Cup.

& a Great goal by Costa Rica, GO COSTA RICA lol.

Last edited:

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Despite the victory and the score, Germany did not look very impressive. They have too many holes on defense, something the addition of Ballack won't remedy.

Costa Rica had a good chance but they are not elite competition. I don't like Germany's chances should they advance to the knock out stage.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Germany looked shaky at times, but those were cracking goals from Lahm and Frings. Wanchope looked offside for Costa Rica's first. Great match to start things off for 2006 though!

complexs6

Camel Slug
Yea I also think Germany didnt play a great game. I dont think they will get to the Finals but who knows. I wanna se Argentina play saturdays.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
impressed with the long range shots (1st and 4th german goal) - it's good to see them being able to keep the ball down and on target.
as far as Wanchope being offside - probably marginally, and therefore, in my personal estimation, it was allowable if only because the ref called it as he saw it and it wasn't a gross mistake on his part, only a missjudgement. Wanchope showed his stuff though. quite admirable. who would have thought it? the way he moved the ball reminded me of the Colombians (Asprilla in particular - great player) all those years back, when they where a great team. I hope he continues to shine and gets back to playing european league football.
very nice pitches these btw. ball moves around quickly. it's going to be a great tournament, suprised to be saying this. great first match (if inconsistent).

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
ref was good apart from that painfully obvious offside (Costa Rica's 2nd goal), but thats the risk you take for playing offside trap.

6 goals in one match, wow, i hope thats a sign of things to come, exciting stuff, probably helps that this new "seamless" ball is so unpredictable for goalkeepers to deal with.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
DARK ANDY said:
I mean how they got so far into the Cup. Who knew Mexico can play Footy that well?

The US knew, that's who. :)

Then again, a lot of people look good when you're in the US.

But seriously, I never thought Mexico wasn't a contender. They definitely have some good achievements under their belt. They're more dangerous than some people make them out to be.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
....it's 23:min into the poland and eccudor( game ... they just score..

POLAND IS PLAY LIKE SHIT.. can 't link pass's they are gonna loose

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
...how thw security in this tournament??

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
poland need to learn how to pass...( triangle.. then expand).. they are running into each others passing lane:oh_no:

.. the jpn ref is doing a good job .. he not calling the sissy dives by the polish players.. fuck diver should just get thew boot out of this turnament.... can't wait to see cristianado ronaldo's oscar performace:rolleyes:

Last edited:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
That 4th German goal was awesome!

I think that I would like footie more if all games were like the opener today. Keep in mind, I know absolutely nothing about the sport, but that was a fun game to watch. A decent amount of early scoring got me into it, then the long defensive holds, then more scoring near the end.

I have a question though. What constitutes an off-sides penalty? Is it when the attackers are near the goalbox before the defensive players are?

Sorry for the stupid question...but I can't seem to understand what exactly an offsides is :spock:

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
european football have turn many players into divers:kekeke:

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
qube said:
That 4th German goal was awesome!

Sorry for the stupid question...but I can't seem to understand what exactly an offsides is :spock:

. What constitutes an off-sides penalty? Is when the attackers are near'er to the the goalbox then the defensive player befor the ball is being passed into the offensive player
.. it's a really close call to make.. it's up to the lines man with the flag( they usually stay/moving with the last line of defence )