the fifa world cup thread - Italy won, but Zidane had the best headbutt ever.

2point0

NEST Puppet
Fair enough about the Nevilles and Crouch.

In Gary Neville's defense, he is a solid player and is able to make the overlapping run and cross often enough. Which is in contrast to our very own Frankie Hedjuk, who I think is the least skilled player to ever play in a world cup match. Sure the guy is fast, but he may be the world record holder for blocked passes in the history of all soccer above the grade school level.

I must be entertained with flashiness. Joga Bonito.

gmw said:
Fuck all this talk about England though, I'm on the Angola bandwagon, bitches :cool:

Angola? Shit, allegedly the unnumbered US team beat them. They had an early red card though...

The African teams are always fun to watch.

I want to see US results in Europe. We stunk it up in 90 and 98, 6 losses in 6 matches, I think.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
complexs6 said:
Yes it does and it will belong to Argentina.

Chanting : "Argentina, Argentina, Argentina!!!"

...messi will continue to grow in the WC... and they'll DEFINITLY be better then last WC.. OMFG i was shock when the eliminated in the last WC.. time to bring out the old jersey

also i've spend $$$ in jerseys this week hope these team go a bit further like to the final16.. some i brought cause it looks good:emb:
germany( host)
englandx2( looks good)
brazil x2( my fav team)
argintinax2( one from the last WC.. never really got to wear it)

skam

Super Spy Agent
2point0 said:
Fortunately for England, their midfield is so strong and Lampard and Gerrard are capable of scoring. The defense is also pretty solid.

Centre midfield is probably our biggest problem area tbh, Lampard and Gerrard haven't yet really played well together and can leave us looking a bit soft centred when we play the top teams. Owen's only played a couple of games in about 6 months too so it's no wonder he's a bit off the pace. Still, my WC blinkers are firmly on so there's no point any else even turning up really.

Gary Neville's always been a bit of a figure of fun in England, but for all the ability he lacks I still think he's one of the best fullbacks around.

complexs6

Camel Slug
Yea ray 7 yesterdays news is Rooney can play and he flew to be with his team, which I really hope goes against Argentina again.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
So....no talk of the USA team in this thread...

I don't follow football, like most people from the States, so excuse my ignorance, but, are we any good?

Does the USA team even stand to make it out of the early rounds? I plan on watching this year, but I know nothing about my team. I always root for the US in world events because it's where I live, but I know that historically we are not good at football/soccer.

Any chance in hell that we will make a decent showing?

2point0

NEST Puppet
qube said:
So....no talk of the USA team in this thread...

I don't follow football, like most people from the States, so excuse my ignorance, but, are we any good?

Does the USA team even stand to make it out of the early rounds? I plan on watching this year, but I know nothing about my team. I always root for the US in world events because it's where I live, but I know that historically we are not good at football/soccer.

Any chance in hell that we will make a decent showing?

US has really improved since the world cup in 1990, but we're still middle of the pack when it comes to the World Cup Finals.

We have a few good players and most of them are young which helps. We even have players playing in the top levels of European professional soccer, which wasn't always the case. The US goalies are world class, but I'd rather not have them tested and prefer to have the defense make sure they don't have to show it.

At least now, the starting lineup doesn't have any gaping holes. We have capable options in defense and midfield and serviceable forwards. I'll be watching Bobby Convey, DeMarcus Beasley, Clint Dempsey and Oguchi Onyewu. Convey, Beasley and Dempsey are midfielders and Onyewu is a beast of a defender. If we had more of the athletes of Onyewu's calber playing defense for the US, we'd get a lot more respect and better results than we do now.

What sucks is that the team is stuck in a tough group. Italy is a traditional power, probably has the most recognizeable names and always in contention, but I think the Czech Republic might be the best team in the group. Ghana is an inexperienced team, but has a few very talented players. The reward for making it out of the tough first round, a possible match against the favorites Brazil.

The last time the US went into a world cup with such high expectations, France 98, they fell flat. In 2002, with low expectations, the US surprised everyone with a run to the quarterfinals and were able to play even with Germany for most of that quarterfinal match.

This team is better than both of the last two teams, but you just never know. It is possible that the US makes it out of the first round, but it is also very possible that the US finishes last in the group as well. On paper, unlike past world cups, we do have a chance against any team in the finals, that says a lot.

And we got a really good coach.

Writing this makes me a little more optimistic about our chances.

19 hours left.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
complexs6 said:
Yea ray 7 yesterdays news is Rooney can play and he flew to be with his team, which I really hope goes against Argentina again.

i feel sorry for rooney, so much pressure on his shoulders, he's still young, he's not the best nor the worst player in the world. This is only going to end in disappointment. I blame the english media.

how many times will english commentators mention "1966" in each of england's world cup matches? :rolleyes:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
USA is damn lucky they are even in the World Cup, because all they had in their group bracket was a bunch of jobber nations and mexico.

2point0

NEST Puppet
DARK ANDY said:
USA is damn lucky they are even in the World Cup, because all they had in their group bracket was a bunch of jobber nations and mexico.

What about the Asian countries and Australia?

What about the Germans...or any Euopean team that was in an easy qualifying group?

Every region has its share of crap teams.

Also, both Mexico and US made it to the knockout stages at the last WC, which means they were better than some of the teams there last time.

complexs6

Camel Slug
qube, Yes the USA has a chance and I will watch every game. I think they made it to the Quarter Finals against Germany and only lost by one goal and they should have got a Penalty but the damn ref didnt give it to them and the US players were pissed. I was too.

Go to worldcup.com and see the 2002 Korea/Japan video highlight clip its good.

Last edited:

skam

Super Spy Agent
cafu1982 said:
how many times will english commentators mention "1966" in each of england's world cup matches? :rolleyes:

are you scotch?

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
skam said:
are you scotch?

no, but I think the english media put an unfair amount of pressure on the team to win the tournament when they are a slightly above average team that will probably not win the WC rooney or not (he's good but ain't no maradona).

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
DARK ANDY said:

the worst (best) example of this is Saudi Arabia - they make it every time yet they're utterly crap - watch them get thrashed again.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

it's friday June 9th, 5 minutes past midnight over here, in 18 hours we will see the opening match Germany vs. Costa Rica at the Allianz Arena in München (Munich)!

Ballack won't play the match but I guess that's not really necessary in this case... anyway, I hope we see some cool matches and lotsa goals, so...

...World Cup 2006, here we go!!

complexs6

Camel Slug
no, but I think the english media put an unfair amount of pressure on the team to win the tournament when they are a slightly above average team that will probably not win the WC rooney or not (he's good but ain't no maradona).

Yep neither is Owen, like I been saying he aint even a twinkle in Maradona's eye lol.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
2point0 said:
What about the Asian countries and Australia?

What about the Germans...or any Euopean team that was in an easy qualifying group?

Every region has its share of crap teams.

Also, both Mexico and US made it to the knockout stages at the last WC, which means they were better than some of the teams there last time.

I have no idea why Mexico got in there, but come no, the US team is comprised of whatever people had no pride in their own nations, and could be bought out to play on the US team.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I never understood the Draw of the World cup until I saw the Baseball World Classic Last year.....

2point0

NEST Puppet
DARK ANDY said:
I have no idea why Mexico got in there, but come no, the US team is comprised of whatever people had no pride in their own nations, and could be bought out to play on the US team.

name the players you're referring to on the US squad.

and didn't this come up with Italy earlier in this thread? what about France, Germany, Angola, Dutch, others?

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

it's friday June 9th, 5 minutes past midnight over here, in 18 hours we will see the opening match Germany vs. Costa Rica at the Allianz Arena in München (Munich)!

Ballack won't play the match but I guess that's not really necessary in this case... anyway, I hope we see some cool matches and lotsa goals, so...

...World Cup 2006, here we go!!

that stadium is awsome just saw it on the preview show:chimp:

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
DARK ANDY said:

You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

As is evident in every single thread you show up in, you're a fucking moron living in Mom's basement with your alter-nerd-ego EVIL NICK (love all the caps, faggots).

I suppose you're still jerking it to still shots of Puskas....

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:

I used to think the same thing.

Except, considering intl. US relationships, the players have to deal with the rest of the world hating them every time they play outside the US, and even here @ home. So, trust me they love their country.

What do you mean by no idea why mexico got in there? were you referring to the general comment (by bringing up mexico)?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've got my Money on ArhenTina...

They have a super kick that goes all the way to to the back corner of the field, then straight for the goal...

All the USA has is a kick that deflates the ball and bounces across the field.... Sometimes it even bounces over the goal.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:

I'm suprised that we couldn't just get the Mexicans to play for us....