the fifa world cup thread - Italy won, but Zidane had the best headbutt ever.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
man.. Messi might not be fit enough to play every match or the whole 90 minutes - but he's by far our best chance of winning the world cup. can that kid play! and he's still a teenager.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:
so what , nearly every country is made up of immigrants to some degree

bullshit

italy team is made of 100 % italian players

yes,even players from the southern part of the country but what can you do eh

they're still ITALIANS and they play for the ITALIAN team

funny how french people are all fucking like oh yeah we're proud we're french we don't want foreign words in our wonderful language because we're french and blah blah blah

and then there isn't a single FRENCH player in their team,
or maybe 1 like the goalkeeper and he's a totally useless twat or something

haha,i find that soooo sad and funny at the same time

european club football is so international and popular worldwide that there's no impact anymore when players play for their countries

my team,technically,should be inter f.c.

i don't give a crap anymore because there are maybe TWO italian players in it

what the fuck

so what happens right ? it's not even about discovering talents anymore in a way

because all you need is loads of cash to buy the so called "best" players from the other european countries,or japan,or south america,or russia,etc

so basically you have players in your team and they can't even be interviewed

they can't even say

"oh fuck me,i'm so glad to be here"

because they don't speak the language

thanks global market of my fucking ass

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
and yeah,i'm in a bit of a shitty mode today

but what i just wrote in my previous post

FACTS / TRUTH

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
skam said:
you mean Owen Hargreaves :kekeke:

PLEASE TAKE HIM.
on the side note... we'll take lennox lewis back too..

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, the problem starts and ends with money. I mean, just take our first national league, a few of the bigger clubs like Bayern München went public and now are driven by shareholder interest, so they buy stars left and right and still have the nerve to call it a Munich football team... ridiculous...

Then they put all the money in damn pre-game shows and crap like that... football sort of turned into Muppet Show a long time ago, but what can you do.

I want less show and more sports.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:
Yeah, the problem starts and ends with money. I mean, just take our first national league, a few of the bigger clubs like Bayern München went public and now are driven by shareholder interest, so they buy stars left and right and still have the nerve to call it a Munich football team... ridiculous...

Then they put all the money in damn pre-game shows and crap like that... football sort of turned into Muppet Show a long time ago, but what can you do.

I want less show and more sports.

Thats a tad harsh. Bayern Munich put lots of money and effort into their youth development and try to sing a lot of young players that have potential to grow. It's not like they run around trying to sign the best players from each country. Aside from Ballack most of their players were nobodies before signing with Munich or very young guys waiting to prove themselves. They are a far cry from teams like Real Madrid or Chelsea or Man U who try to buy champion league trophies.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
man.. Messi might not be fit enough to play every match or the whole 90 minutes - but he's by far our best chance of winning the world cup. can that kid play! and he's still a teenager.

whats ur opinion of Carlos Tevez and lastly what ever4 happened to the Japanese striker Wagner Lopes

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kobylka68 said:
Thats a tad harsh. Bayern Munich put lots of money and effort into their youth development and try to sing a lot of young players that have potential to grow. It's not like they run around trying to sign the best players from each country. Aside from Ballack most of their players were nobodies before signing with Munich or very young guys waiting to prove themselves. They are a far cry from teams like Real Madrid or Chelsea or Man U who try to buy champion league trophies.

Bayern München is like a money magnet, and some sort of black hole for every "better" player in the country.

Munich gets the stars, others have not-so-big stars, that's the problem. They get sponsored by the state, that's another problem.. sorry man, but a shareholder system should stay the fuck out of football.

Yeah, of course they do a lot for young players, but only if he is a promising enough for the club, not the sport/the league in general.

But I'm not against Munich per se (well... actually I am... I live in Nuremberg, that should tell you something... :) ) but the sellout of the sport in general.. I still enjoy watching matches and specially cup matches, as soon as the game is rolling I forget about all that bullshit that goes with it, but then the match is over and WHAM you will get flooded with beer ads, bullshit "expert" talk, money babble and whatnot... that's the part of football I really could live without.

Ah well, but that's kinda OT I guess...

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
Fran said:
bullshit

italy team is made of 100 % italian players

yes,even players from the southern part of the country but what can you do eh

they're still ITALIANS and they play for the ITALIAN team

WRONG. One word voids your whole argument: Camoranesi

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:
Bayern München is like a money magnet, and some sort of black hole for every "better" player in the country.

Munich gets the stars, others have not-so-big stars, that's the problem. They get sponsored by the state, that's another problem.. sorry man, but a shareholder system should stay the fuck out of football.

Yeah, of course they do a lot for young players, but only if he is a promising enough for the club, not the sport/the league in general.

But I'm not against Munich per se (well... actually I am... I live in Nuremberg, that should tell you something... :) ) but the sellout of the sport in general.. I still enjoy watching matches and specially cup matches, as soon as the game is rolling I forget about all that bullshit that goes with it, but then the match is over and WHAM you will get flooded with beer ads, bullshit "expert" talk, money babble and whatnot... that's the part of football I really could live without.

Ah well, but that's kinda OT I guess...

Hehe like Lukas Podolski who Bayern signed today ;)

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:
WRONG. One word voids your whole argument: Camoranesi

i don't consider camoranesi part of the team

i had totally forgotten about him,honestly

yes,i hope he won't play a single game

i hate his guts anyway

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
zapatistab said:
Like I said in a previous thread.....Mexico is going to shock the world. :loco:

Agreed! :buttrock:

Yea...brazil looks really strong and their group is relatively easy for them.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
Hehe like Lukas Podolski who Bayern signed today ;)

Silly question, when did Bayern Munich decide to call itself Munchen - or has it been that all along or something.

Why is it Munchen? What the heck is a Munchen? *

I'm sure there is another side that has done this as well.

* Ok so Munchen is the german word, but why do they alternate between munich and munchen? Munich sounds better anyways.

ohh yeah edit, the BM stadium totally rocks btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena

Makes the new Wembley look like a piece of shite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium

Honestly the new Wembley despite being the most expensive stadium ever built can only old 90,000 and has a really useless looking loop around it. I hope it collapses ... again.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Bayern "Munich" is not correct, the club always was called Bayern München.

München is the name of the city and the name of the club, but for some strange reason German cities have different names abroad.

I never really got why, it's not our fault people can't pronounce the name. :mr_t:

Okay, the "ü" vowel AND the special "ch" is a bit much for Anglo-American tongues, probably that's why...

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:

München is the name of the city and the name of the club, but for some strange reason German cities have different names abroad.

I never really got why, it's not our fault people can't pronounce the name. :mr_t:

Okay, the "ü" vowel AND the special "ch" is a bit much for Anglo-American tongues, probably that's why...

I see, it's a bit like how the French call London Londres.

Londres sounds awful actually.

Speaking about literal city changes, the Indians dropped Bombay for Mumbia - again that sounds shite. And China changed Peking to Beijing, now on that one Beijing does sound better.

Anyways, world cup, Rooney seems better, (till someone tackles him no doubt). Actually if he does play I imagine that he will be targetted.

Not that I am looing forward per se to the imminent heartbreak world cup that we will have no doubt. We have a strong squad, but it just doesnt seem to happen for us.

I so wish we hadn't won in '66, I get so sick of hearing about it.

How comes Fran is an ITI fan?

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I'll be supporting Poland, but I know they won't get far :(

Other than them, other teams I'd like to see do well are the ones with Bolton players in the squad like:

Senegal: El Hadji Spit
Tunisia: Radhi Jaidi
Japan: Hidetoshi Nakata
Mexico: Jared Borgetti

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

You know what Americans call Köln? "Cologne".

2point0

NEST Puppet
I watched the last 40 minutes of the England - Jamaica game the other day and saw Peter Crouch in action for the first time. It is incredibly painful to watch him play. He works hard, but you can tell how hard he is working, which shows me a lack of athleticism. I suppose you can't argue with the results, 3 goals, but he looks so out of place and on top of that he got outjumped on long balls from the keeper.

I don't know how big the jamaican guy was, could've been 6'4" but looked small in comparison, and maybe it was late in the match, but I thought that he missed a lot of headers for a guy that tall. Goals are goals, I suppose, but I don't know that he's particularly directly dangerous. Maybe he's in the middle on corners and set plays as a distraction or the focus of attention.

I don't remember his first goal, but he mishit the second one and looks like he would have missed it if he wasn't already standing in the goal. I called his missed PK, which brought the best moment of the match was when the commentator said that the best thing about the miss is that we were spared of the goal celebration. And even Gavin has to agree that he gave a half-assed robot after the third goal. I thought his third goal was soft too. Good placement, but he struck it with the inside of his foot from outside the penalty area. Could be that the goalie didn't see it until it was too late, but I was surprised that it went in from that far out.

Granted, I haven't seen him play much, but those were my observations.

I still don't understand what's so good about the Neville Brothers. Will someone please explain to me why they get consideration for the national team.

And I didn't think Owen looked that good either. He looks like he's really relying on his speed, but he didn't look like he had it. Fortunately for England, their midfield is so strong and Lampard and Gerrard are capable of scoring. The defense is also pretty solid.

Groups C and E are the toughest, but at least group C gets to face group D for whoever makes it out of the group stage. Group E gets the Brazil group.

I'm hopeful for the US, but there's a real chance they can't win a game in the group stage.

I hear a lot about the lack of experience hurting the chances of certain teams such as Ghana and Ivory Coast from advancing. Those two teams happen to be in the toughest groups, but those two teams have players in the top levels of European Leagues. Does experience matter that much? I'm not so sure.

I'm going to have to get up early to watch these games.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
...this WC belong to south america:chimp:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Player wise, the reason I'll be rooting for the following teams:

argentina-tevez
mexico-kikin fonseca
Czchec republic-Baros/Nedved
Sweden-Larson (i believe its his final world cup)

those are so far my initial 4 ill be rooting for, i'll be making my further predictions after the end of the match for each group.

complexs6

Camel Slug
Yes it does and it will belong to Argentina.

Chanting : "Argentina, Argentina, Argentina!!!"

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
2point0 said:
It is incredibly painful to watch him play

I'm not really a big fan of Crouch, and I think that the Crouch lovefest of recent days is a bit funny. His goals against Jamaica weren't great, though he nabbed a cracking strike against Hungary.

I do think though, that people under-rate Crouch because of how awkward on the pitch he looks to the fans. That awkwardness is exactly what makes him fairly difficult to defend against - with his height you'd think he'd be an out-and-out target man in front of goal, but he plays in a quite withdrawn role from the center-forward usually. The entire "good feet for a big man" routine that media talking heads rehearse is quite mistaken, I think. He's got good feet and a nimble touch, period.

His height isn't really the thing - it's his weird gangly frame. It's hard to defend against because he doesn't behave on the pitch like you expect. He was quite a bit more impressive than any other forward this past season for Pool, mainly because he actually created space, unlike Cisse (apalling first touch), Morientes (needs perfect service through into the 6 yard box), and Fowler (doesn't work).

I like that Crouch knows that he's a peripheral player who gets shit on all the time by the fans, the media, and the pundits, but still works hard and tries to create. I loved the first Crouchatron celebration, because clearly no-one fancied his chances going into the match, and he rubbed it in the faces of the nay-sayers with a bit of self-parody.

2point0 said:
I still don't understand what's so good about the Neville Brothers. Will someone please explain to me why they get consideration for the national team.

The Neviller gets a lot of stick, but I think he's been undeniably one of the better right-backs in the Premiership, and certainly around the England set-up. He's not a particularly good technical player, but he works hard, and plays well with El Golden Bollocks on the right channel. Phil's a different player, but he's versatile. Didn't have a terrible season with Everton. Can play a lot of positions around the back, and probably would have been better to take with the England set-up than Hargreaves.

Fuck all this talk about England though, I'm on the Angola bandwagon, bitches :cool: