the fifa world cup thread - Italy won, but Zidane had the best headbutt ever.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
..iam on the brazil band wagon again this year:chimp:

Last edited by a moderator:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I am Polish so I would like to see Poland be successful. It would also be nice to see a young german team prove all the critics wrong. England and Spain should choke again as usual.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Go on Angola!

100% behind the Palancas Negras for this year. Can't wait to see big Pedro Mantorras knock em in against Portugal.

I can hope at least.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
..i think a non european country will be the cinderella team in this turnament ...australia has a good coach.. africa has a few unkown teams and south america is the fun in the party

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
world cup football has gone down the drain in my eyes. it's not that interesting anymore. maybe it's because world cup football has evened itself out, or european club football is so international and popular worldwide that there's no impact anymore when players play for their countries. I see very little fire in the eyes of the Argentine players that's for sure. too much money makes them fuzzy.
back when I where a lad it was about distinctive takes on football, serious rivalies, and definitive tiers in terms of countries. that's why football videogames where so cool back then, because they took these stereotypical qualities and translated them into gameplay (Super Sidekicks for instance). this is before the US was aware of this game - before or around the time the berlin wall was coming down, before players earned so many millions and wrold cup football was not called fifa world cup football by common folk.
meh..

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
world cup football has gone down the drain in my eyes. it's not that interesting anymore. maybe it's because world cup football has evened itself out, or european club football is so international and popular worldwide that there's no impact anymore when players play for their countries. I see very little fire in the eyes of the Argentine players that's for sure. too much money makes them fuzzy.
back when I where a lad it was about distinctive takes on football, serious rivalies, and definitive tiers in terms of countries. that's why football videogames where so cool back then, because they took these stereotypical qualities and translated them into gameplay (Super Sidekicks for instance). this is before the US was aware of this game - before or around the time the berlin wall was coming down, before players earned so many millions and wrold cup football was not called fifa world cup football by common folk.
meh..

How about back when a Team actually had 99% players that are from that Country? And not a team that is comprised of every other nation except the one they are representing.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
How about back when a Team actually had 99% players that are from that Country? And not a team that is comprised of every other nation except the one they are representing.
like france:rolleyes:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
racecar said:
like france:rolleyes:

Patrick Vieira = Senegal
Jean-Alani Boumsong = Cameroon
Claude Makélélé = Zaire

And 13 of them aren't playing for French Clubs.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
who saw soocer aid yesterday,

Man the ROW had some great legends compared to England's ones.

Man Maradona playing 90 mins and if Ruud Guillt and Zola played the full 90, they would thrashed England

sameh903

Goal! Goal! Goal!
italy alllllllllllllllll the way baby:buttrock:

my dream match is between germany vs. argentina, a classic re-match back from 1986 and 1990.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
DARK ANDY said:
Patrick Vieira = Senegal
Claude Makélélé = Zaire

And 13 of them aren't playing for French Clubs.

Quite, Zidane too, he's Algerian:emb: There's more too probably, if people identify with the country they play for then fair play to them, but i cant help feeling it dilutes things a bit.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Baseley09 said:
Quite, Zidane too, he's Algerian:emb: There's more too probably, if people identify with the country they play for then fair play to them, but i cant help feeling it dilutes things a bit.

It's true that France sort of imported all of their players but they are an extreme example. Other teams might have only a couple of guys not born in that country. It's not a wide spread problem and the best teams in world still consist mostly if not completely of players born in that country.

skam

Super Spy Agent
Zidane was born and rasied in France though so he's as French as foie gras and hiding in cellars.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I think Henry should play for England. After all London is his home.

I love that guy :)

Bloody Brazil though, I hope they self-destruct, I mean, on paper there is seemingly no way they can lose and they do have some great players, but if they do crash out, I will be soooo happy!

I am trying not to get too swept up in the World Cup, because Football gets me too worked up and I ask and speak like (even more of) an idiot.

I want to try and watch the World Cup purely just for the love of the game.

- But you wait, we will somehow get past the group stage and I will be goosestepping and hurling expletives about the rest of teh world.

Why does football, the beautiful game make monsters of it's fans? :(

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
It's true that France sort of imported all of their players but they are an extreme example. Other teams might have only a couple of guys not born in that country. It's not a wide spread problem and the best teams in world still consist mostly if not completely of players born in that country.

Except for choice teams, such as Australia.

Australia's Schwarzer, Zeljko Kalac & Mile Sterjovski were not born in Australia, while these guys may have been born in Australia, they are not of australian descent : Tony Popovic, Josip Skoko, Marco Bresciano, and John Aloisi.

At least the German Team is pretty dense with Germans, as I can see.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
DARK ANDY said:
Patrick Vieira = Senegal
Claude Makélélé = Zaire

All old French colonies. Handy how plundering third world countries helps your World Cup efforts.

ray_7

After seeing the Japanese play against the Germans, I think they will go a long way in this WC.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Like I said in a previous thread.....Mexico is going to shock the world. :loco:

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
DARK ANDY said:

so what , nearly every country is made up of immigrants to some degree and those French players you mentioned are 2nd generation immigrants I believe ( parents immigrated, not them). Its not like the French Football Association is paying Angolans to come play for France, like what Qatar is trying to do unfortunately.

If you grew up in that country, speak the language, are of the nationality, and call it home = What else do you want? Should European teams only be made up of white people? US team made up of Native American Indians??

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
ray_7 said:
After seeing the Japanese play against the Germans, I think they will go a long way in this WC.

Yeah, the Japanese made our team run around like frightened chicken, specially defense was weak.

In an after-match interview, Ballack said they didn't play full power because of their "heavy legs" caused by the rough training of the past few months... yeah sure.

Ah well, I hope we will make it over the play-offs round...

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:
so what , nearly every country is made up of immigrants to some degree and those French players you mentioned are 2nd generation immigrants I believe ( parents immigrated, not them). Its not like the French Football Association is paying Angolans to come play for France, like what Qatar is trying to do unfortunately.

If you grew up in that country, speak the language, are of the nationality, and call it home = What else do you want? Should European teams only be made up of white people? US team made up of Native American Indians??

This is true.

If it wasn't, then Argentina would be Italy's #2 national team.