BEST non-cave, eighting, raizing shmups?

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
anything by G.rev... BorderDown, UnderDefeat namely

also Compile shmups, Aleste series , MUSHA Aleste, and my personal fave ZanacNeo (ZanacXZanac)

also, for some PS1 oddities, Harmful Park and Kyuin are pretty fun... good luck on finding them though

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I thought "In the Hunt" was for the Saturn only

for shame...young grasshopper...The saturn version is an inferior port.
If you have a hori cab, snag yourself the pcb. One of the best horis of all time.

Droid

starman

Armored Scrum Object
What's wrong with this thread.
No Gradius.
No RayForce/RayStorm.
No Darius Gaiden.

:mad:

Robert

20 Year Member
I still love Ikaruga.

Psyvariar 2 is way underated.

And Blazing star is my favorite side-scrolling.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Where's the love for Hotdog Storm!?! ;) (set that baby on the hardest difficulty and give it a shot, it's kind of addicting)

Of course you can't forget about all the great Psikyo shooters and G.revs small list of titles are classics as well.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
raiden fighter series are #1 in my list.. yes i think it's better then cave/raizing /8ing game's

gigawing is good too.. and ikaruga

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Hellfire!!! and Fire Shark Great toaplan games!!

Gynoug on the MD :buttrock:

Any of the Parodius games!! oh and of course Gradius V :glee:

Heres an obscure yet brillant game.. Boogie wings/Great ragtime show by Data East, I wish i never sold that pcb now :(

NTSC-J

n00b
Gunbird 2 is pretty much the best non-Cave/Raizing shooter ever released. Dragon Blaze is prettier, Strikers 1999 more accessible, but GB2 is still the pinnacle of Psikyo's efforts in the genre. The first Gunbird is very forgettable however.

Personally, the Neo Geo sort of fails when it comes to the scrolling shooter. Blazing Star is easily the best with it's varied ship types and wicked graphics, but Pulstar, Last Resort, the Sonic Wings (altho Spanky and Bobby make them worth a few runs), Ghost Pilots, and Viewpoint are all irrelevant and not worth anyone's time. Life is too short to be spent on Neo Geo shooters.

Cyvern is great.

Raiden Fighters series is ok, but Raiden DX is king of the series.

Shienryu sucks.

Batsugun Special Version is one of the best games of all time and is very necessary for any arcade fan.

R-Type, every one of them, suck.

Xexex looks cool yet is pretty weak.

Shikigami no Shiro III is the best in the series if you're into buzzing.

Mars Matrix and Giga Wing 2 and Generations are incredible.

And there's still so many more...

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
AppleiDog said:
In the Hunt best scrolling shooter ever

(Gunbird 1)

Aint that the truth !, as a bit of an aside, I believe the Irem team that made that (along with Gunforce 1 & 2) went over to Nazca to write Metal Slug, you can see the similarity in style ;)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm glad to see "In the Hunt" getting the love. I have the inferior Saturn port, but I did play it enough times in the arcade, to know what it's all about. I also did notice the similarity in style to metal slug; but I dismissed it as simply trying to go for the rugged, but still cartoon military theme; of which many look similar, by design.

To a certain degree, I always considered the Underwater sections, in the late Metal Slugs, to be kind of very "In the Hunt" like. Probably the first game, outside of "In the Hunt", to make me feel that way.

The torps, the depth charges, the destruction. Very cool game.

I also really liked G-Darius. I haven't played some of the other parts of that series, though, to compare.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Ahhh....so many....

Since I'm originally an MD guru I'd say:

Eliminate Down
Gleylancer
Twinkle Tale
Alien Soldier (ehh...more action)
Battle Squadron (by EA of all companies!)
Dangerous Seed (also on PCB, nice Taito shmup)

BUT lets not forget the Aleste series!
Aleste (SMS)
Power Strike 2 (SMS)
GG Aleste (GG)
GG Aleste 2 (GG)
MUSHA Aleste (Genesis, aka Aleste on MD)
Super Aleste (SFC/SNES)
and....eh....Robo Aleste (not so great once u get to level 3) but amazing music

Of course my favorite smups of all time (other than the Aleste's) are the Cottons:
Panorama Cotton (MD)
Cotton 100% (SFC)
Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton (PCB, PSX, X68, NGPC, PCE/TGD, etc...)
I didn't like the Saturn/DC Cotton's that much tho..:annoyed:

Of course all the Psikyo stuff is solid too...there's just too many out there. Cave and Raizing are great, but they're just too small companies in a big world of gr8 shmups :D

-Segasonicfan