BEST non-cave, eighting, raizing shmups?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I just played some Air Gallet and have to say its really good! 1996 by banpresto.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Capcom's 194x series (except 1944), Gunbird 1 & 2, Gun Nail, G-Darius, Night Raid, the Raiden series, R-Type 1 & 2, Viewpoint... the list goes on and on

and nearly everything from TOAPLAN is excellent. many of their '80s shooters are among my personal favorites.

sven666

War Room Troll
Raiden Fighters 2

hands down.. actually beats alot of Cave & r8zing stuff too...

id say its in my top 3 best games ever made along with with ketsui and batrider :)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
soooo, Toaplan counts?

Batsugun!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Strikers 1945, I, II, or Plus.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Dave_K. said:
Cyvern!
Awsome shmup, pretty hard to come by nowadays.

True dat, Cyvern kicks ass.

Note that this thread does not include Psikyo in the title for some reason. So I'll be the first to throw in

Dragon Blaze
Gunbird 2
Strikers 1999

-Tech

bwodie

Another Striker
Cnidarian said:
Capcom's 194x series (except 1944), Gunbird 1 & 2, Gun Nail, G-Darius, Night Raid, the Raiden series, R-Type 1 & 2, Viewpoint... the list goes on and on

and nearly everything from TOAPLAN is excellent. many of their '80s shooters are among my personal favorites.

couldnt agree more! I must of put 100's of $$'s through twin cobra when i was a wee young kid.
best shmup ever :D

and #28, you wont be the first to throw those in :loco:

Dave_K.

NEST Puppet
The only Seibu game I think is miles above the rest is Viper Phase 1. Capcom 19XX is also a class act with unbelievable sound track (bongos rock! :buttrock: ).

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Cotton Boomerang for the ST-V, Guardian Force are top notch shooters :buttrock:

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
I used to play Mission, dont know if you guys will know but its pretty good on arcades in the middle 80's. It must have a japanese name cause i cant find it anywhere in google or arcade museum.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Another vote for guardian force here, just got the game for saturn...really cool gameplay and great graphics. I'd give it an 7.5.

I'm now off to score the rest of succes' games for saturn: cotton 2 and cotton boomerang :)

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Some pcbs that I like that are not Cave/Raizing...

Raiden Fighters, Radiant Silvergun, Gigawing, Gigawing 2, Mars Matrix, Dragon
Blaze, Gunbird 2.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I used to have a blast with Twin Eagle ... don't know if I'd really consider it a "best" shmup but I remember spending a lot of money on it at the local 7-11 back in the day.

J

jpj

blazing star.

phenomenal game. (plus, i thought someone should mention it, y'know, given the name of the site an' all)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Armed Police Batrider
Batsugun
Dragon Blaze
Strikers 1945 III
Shikigami no Shiro 2

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Einhander is a great game. It's the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. Toaplan games are awsome, I love Truxton!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Kiel said:
Armed Police Batrider

I could swear that's a Raizing game . . . :)

Under Defeat hasn't been mentioned

I really like that game

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
In the Hunt best scrolling shooter ever

mentionables Pyvaviar 2, Mobile light force (Gunbird 1)

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
In the Hunt best scrolling shooter ever

Wurd up baby. In the hunt kicks major ass. The artwork and detail is amazing. I'll always be in BIG's debt for hooking me up with the pcb.

I'm gonna show my true age and say that Twin Cobra deserves mention. A great toaplan shmup that can be had for reasonably cheap.

Droid

eastyy

Quiz Detective
Chaos field : i do admit its not to everyones taste but with me once i figured out the combo system i was hooked

Radirgy: done by the same people who did chaos field a very good little shooter with a smart scoring hook

Vasara 1 and 2: i like the setting for this game its great fun too

Thunder force v : the 3d was not to good in my opinion it was not as stylised as thunderforce 4 but it had some in depth weapons and some great boss battles

Zero gunner 2: a different shooter multi direction helicopter great graphics (i suspect for under defeat they were influenced by this)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I would like to add Imperishable Night to this list. Its a fun PC game and looks really good running from my laptop to my TV through Svideo and headphone jack while being played on an official USB Saturn pad.

Also, Hyper Duel, nuff said.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
droid said:
Wurd up baby. In the hunt kicks major ass. The artwork and detail is amazing. I'll always be in BIG's debt for hooking me up with the pcb.

I'm gonna show my true age and say that Twin Cobra deserves mention. A great toaplan shmup that can be had for reasonably cheap.

Droid

I thought "In the Hunt" was for the Saturn only :eek_2: