Nintendo Wii, hirvea nimi

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
I kinda like it, but maybe it needs more consonants... I mean, it could be iPod or DS or something simple as that, so I think a name like WiiBii would have been better :D "Let's go play some weebee" instead of Wiiiiii...

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Wiiiiiiii, just sounds so 'limp'.... :loco:

okay, okay, let's see:
XBOX 360
PlayStation 3
Wii

:kekeke: Wii :kekeke:
Well, the hardware will kick ass, the name will remind me of some little child going down a slide

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
RockstarRunner said:
okay, okay, let's see:
XBOX 360
PlayStation 3
Wii

Exactly. Which one of those will people remember? (And I mean people, not HC-gamers)

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm thinking Playstation because it sounds more like a video game console. There was a joystiq article where they went and asked random (non-gaming) people about what do they think of the name, and everyone was thinking a chocolate bar or something, and then when they were told it's a new Nintendo console everyone was really o_O

I like the name though, but really... Most people already know the name Playstation (or "pleikkari"), I'm not believeing in Wii's success :(

Maybe Nintendo should sell Wii not as a game console but some sort of... non-gaming product. Like, everyone knows what iPod is but Apple hs never said it's an mp3-player. Most people seem to know (like my parents) what an iPod is but not what mp3 means.

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Maybe people will remember Wii more, but almost certainly not for the right reasons... it's Nintendo, and I do love them, but this is the result of some deranged marketing folks.

As a native English speaker, Wii sounds stupid, how does it come off in Finnish, I guess from Finn & Reiko's response it's not bad?

I cannot see myself going to the games shop, walking up to the counter and asking for a Wii, and not be feeling a little embarrased...

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
Wii doesn't sound like any Finnish word, so no dirty jokes about it which I'm glad ^^ But also I can't think of any modern Finnish word that begins with the letter W so maybe most people will pronounce it Vii.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
You have to remebers, that Nintendo is trying to get NEW people into gaming as well, like they have done with Nintendogs and Brain Training on the DS. These people don't want to buy a PlayBox or something like that. Naturally a name like "Wii" won't get them immediately to run to the store, but it's a name that will make people curious.

And thanks to Wii's features, that might be all that's needed to secure a purchase.

And naturally, no true-gamer is going to skip a console just because of it's name. So even though they make jokes, they will still be buying customers.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
it's not like PLaystation is such a great name... or Xbox? ... if you ask me, those were pretty lame as well. They aren't bad... but why name a console Xbox? It's the EXTREME BOX!!! YEAAH! Playstation sounds like a learning station at a fair for pre-schoolers. PLaystation makes a bit of sense...

Nintendo (NES) that was logical... Super Nintendo, that was logical, same with Nintendo 64.

Dreamcast... that was a cool name. Saturn... well... why did Sega pick Saturn? Why not mars, mercury, or pluto? Sega Pluto. lol

Turbo Grafx 16 made sense... due to more display colors at one time on the screen.

Neo Geo ... that's a cool name, AES and MVS are just tech style names like NES and SNES.

PSP isn't bad until you get to "playstation portable." There's that playstation again. Poopshoot portable.

Gamecube... It wasn't my favorite name... but it made sense.

Wii.... I understand what they are doing with this name... but they should have kept it revolution. that could have been one of the best console names ever (IMO). But hey... you won't feel as gay asking your friends to come over and play with your wii.

Actually... I liked the names Atari Jaguar and the Atari Lynx... too bad the systems didn't do as well.

†B†V†

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Bluevoodu said:
Saturn... well... why did Sega pick Saturn? Why not mars, mercury, or pluto? Sega Pluto. lol

Well, actually Sega did use many of the planets.

Saturn's original codename was Project Jupiter. But eventually they decided it was to be Saturn, maybe because their ST-V arcade board (Sega Titan. Titan is one of Saturn's moons)
The 32X's original codename was Project Mars.
The MegaDrive/Genesis-32X-hybrid was to be called Sega Neptune, but was cancelled.