Another Bootleg Question....

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Hmm, that's a strange one. Judging from the pics, I'd at least say PI2's probably not a bootleg. Pics are a little blurry, but the ROMs in the first pic look like the correct Toshiba ones. Maybe all the EPROMs are a repair / conversion / revision or something.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
CarlosZ said:
Man... I feel like there's waaaayy too much info on how to describe a bootleg.

Find a certain chip then your ok... your still not safe

the board should say this then its ok...even still your not safe

the soldering should look legit...your still not ok

The label should be...STILL not safe

serial number...matching blah blah

DAMIT lol I want to learn how to pick them out but its too damn confusing. :crying:
Like I said, the main thing to look for is the the NGH numbers on the chips (found on the master list on this site). Looking at the boards is almost useless -- most of them say 1994 SNK, whether bootleg or not. Sometimes the chips they used are obvious, sometimes it's less. I have most of the MVS carts, and I haven't come across one yet where I can't tell definitively if it's bootleg or not, because almost all you can tell are real at quick glance, based on the NGH number and kinds of chips used. KOF 2001 had me worried for a while, with it's socketed EPROMs, but then I searched here and found out that was normal for most of the first-run carts. If you have an exception, this message board is a good repository of information.

I think you're just letting all the fine details scare you without enough hands on practice.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
mother fu...i just bought a $200 mvs lot and 2 of the games were bootleg...one with MX chips another with ALL OF THEM eprom (with the little windows) and im wondering about the rest... Ill post up the name of the ebay'er so no one will get ripped off like i did.

Did metal slug 4 come with MEGALO chips??? And another question were all of the flyers double sided for kits? What about those stickers? Do all kits come with stickers??

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm very careful about what I bid on on ebay. I always inspect the photos carefully, check the seller's reputation, and ask questions.

JimmyGeo

n00b
CarlosZ said:
mother fu...i just bought a $200 mvs lot and 2 of the games were bootleg...one with MX chips another with ALL OF THEM eprom (with the little windows) and im wondering about the rest... Ill post up the name of the ebay'er so no one will get ripped off like i did.

Did metal slug 4 come with MEGALO chips??? And another question were all of the flyers double sided for kits? What about those stickers? Do all kits come with stickers??

By chance was this auction for 3 copies of MS4 and 1 MS2?

JimmyGeo

n00b
I was a bidder on that listing. I contacted the seller during the auction and he confirmed that all of the carts were originals. I would send a complaint through ebay if the seller doesn't give you a refund.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just went checking through all my MVS carts and I have one definate bootleg (waku waku 7 which I don't really like). There are about 10 with eproms, but from what I gather, just the fact it has an eprom within, doesn't definately mean it's a bootleg right? eg: my Fatal Fury 2 looks pretty legit with serials and all yet it has an eprom in it. I don't have any of the funny looking flash chips like shown in the gallery.

One I have Super Sidekicks 2 I suspect is a bootleg, but it has an SNK square chip on it, does that mean anything? The two ROMS though are like no-name ROMS and there are two eproms accompanying it.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
zhulien said:
One I have Super Sidekicks 2 I suspect is a bootleg, but it has an SNK square chip on it, does that mean anything? The two ROMS though are like no-name ROMS and there are two eproms accompanying it.

My Supersidekicks 2 game has too these eproms.

I've inspected it as case is transparent but all seems legit.

Post pics, but I would said yours is the same case.