KOF Orochi Collection PS2 Thread

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The game just came out in Japan today; I have it on hold at the local shop (bought Ninety Nine Nights, Spectral Vs. Generation, and DBZ PSP so I have to go back after work when I can go to the bank ^_^; ).

Has anyone played it yet? I'm hoping that this collection WILL *NOT* be a repeat of the Last Blade 1&2 compilation, and have shitastic frame rate issues. I'll post impressions in a few hours after I get home.

BTW, Spectral Vs. Generation is a 2D weapons-based fighter developed by IGS, ported from arcade to the PS2. The characters are based on two Idea Factory SRPGs, IIRC. I tried the arcade version once, and thought it was rather bland, but the cab controls were a little messed up, and I had to give it another chance, since original 2D fighters are way too rare these days. :)

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
nice im waiting for the impressions.(i was thinking of getting this and the neo stick)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
sliceypete said:
nice im waiting for the impressions.(i was thinking of getting this and the neo stick)

I think if they had the collection with the Neo stick, I probably would have bought that immediately. :) But I know of another shop down the road that still has the Garou MOTW sticks, so I can always go get one of those. Going to stick with the pads for now.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Now 4 threads in total (I'm pretty sure), but anyways, I think it's emulated like the Last Blades. Bosses are selectable, I'm liking it so far.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Okay, here's the deal from what I've played...

KOF Orochi Collection is indeed using the same style of emulation as the Last Blade Collection, but thankfully SNK has learned from their past mistake and I'm not seeing any frame rate issues! :)

Game options are pretty much standard fare; from the main menu, you can choose the three games, online play, or adjust sound/visual/control settings, edit character colors, and save/load.

Emulation seems to be pretty much perfect this time around. You can choose between original and arranged soundtracks for all three games; it's very nice to be able to play the ROM versions of KOF with the Neo CD soundtracks and zero load times. Visual options include soft (filtered sprites) and normal settings, and two screen sizes. The look will vary depending on your TV, but I find that the larger screen size setting with the soft filter looks a bit too blurry, and is a bit too pixellated on normal, so I have to use the regular size, which means some small black borders (though nothing is cut off from this)

Further observations:

-In all three games, bosses/hidden characters are available from the start.
-All three games lack a practice mode. I don't remember '95 having one on Neo, but it's still stupid not having this mode available.
-KOF '96 and '97 retain their survival modes.
-You can play KOF '96 and '97 in English. '95 is Japanese only.
-Sound effects/voices are slightly lower quality than the original Neo versions.

So unlike the Last Blade Collection, I'd definitely recommend this collection to KOF fans. Having said that, however, this collection is pretty basic with its options; you pretty much know what to expect if you've played the Neo originals. Some extra options or bonuses would have been nice. If you're new to KOF and want to experience the older games, this is worth checking out, although personally I'd recommend getting KOF Neowave and waiting for KOF XI; game play-wise, those two are far better games.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Lyte Edge said:
Okay, here's the deal from what I've played...

KOF Orochi Collection is indeed using the same style of emulation as the Last Blade Collection, but thankfully SNK has learned from their past mistake and I'm not seeing any frame rate issues! :)

Game options are pretty much standard fare; from the main menu, you can choose the three games, online play, or adjust sound/visual/control settings, edit character colors, and save/load.

Emulation seems to be pretty much perfect this time around. You can choose between original and arranged soundtracks for all three games; it's very nice to be able to play the ROM versions of KOF with the Neo CD soundtracks and zero load times. Visual options include soft (filtered sprites) and normal settings, and two screen sizes. The look will vary depending on your TV, but I find that the larger screen size setting with the soft filter looks a bit too blurry, and is a bit too pixellated on normal, so I have to use the regular size, which means some small black borders (though nothing is cut off from this)

Further observations:

-All three games lack a practice mode. I don't remember '95 having one on Neo, but it's still stupid not having this mode available.
-Sound effects/voices are slightly lower quality than the original Neo versions.

So unlike the Last Blade Collection, I'd definitely recommend this collection to KOF fans. Having said that, however, this collection is pretty basic with its options; you pretty much know what to expect if you've played the Neo originals. Some extra options or bonuses would have been nice. If you're new to KOF and want to experience the older games, this is worth checking out, although personally I'd recommend getting KOF Neowave and waiting for KOF XI; game play-wise, those two are far better games.

Ah good news then! I may pick this up now! I rushed getting the LB Collection and was sorely disappointed. Good to see I can finally play 96+97 with ASTs while being Arcade Perfect (at least moreso than LB)

About Practice mode, KoFs didn't start having a Practice mode until 98. Still it would've been a nice extra at least. And it's really such a shame they don't include any more extras than ASTs and Color edit.

TimeKillr

New Challenger
This is rather good news..

Although I'll still prefer playing them on my mvs. :) Hopefully SNKP will decide the North American market needs it and will release it on the xbox. :)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Cain Highwind said:
About Practice mode, KoFs didn't start having a Practice mode until 98. Still it would've been a nice extra at least. And it's really such a shame they don't include any more extras than ASTs and Color edit.

You sure about that? It's been a LONG time since I've played the AES KOFs prior to '98, but I could swear I was playing KOF '97 in practice mode, at least in either the Neo CD or Saturn versions.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
TimeKillr said:
This is rather good news..

Although I'll still prefer playing them on my mvs. :) Hopefully SNKP will decide the North American market needs it and will release it on the xbox. :)

Nah, screw that. Hopefully they'll wise up and release the KOF games to the Xbox Live arcade on the 360 instead.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Lyte Edge said:
Further observations:

its like the neo cd versions. when 95 is played on a jap system its japanese, if on a US system of EU system its english, from 96 and on you could choose this in the option menu. i think its pretty stupid not to include the language option in the options menu but it doesnt reallt matter to me, ive finished the game before many time allready, but for players wanting to learn about the story its a lil fuckeds up.
if all goes well well have our ps2 back within a week, then i can finally play it with no loads and cd sound.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
lyte edge, what do you think of spectral vs. generation? I don't like it - but I've only played it a few minutes so far.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
SnairDogg said:
lyte edge, what do you think of spectral vs. generation? I don't like it - but I've only played it a few minutes so far.

I'm liking it, which is a bit of a surprise, since I wasn't very impressed with the arcade version. I read that IGS tweaked the game play and sped up things a little bit, and it does feel better to me on PS2 than in the arcade. I still need to spend more time getting used to the game play, but I do see potential in this title. Some of the things you can do don't seem to be quite as free form, though; for example if you hit X and O when you're close to an opponent, you can launch them up in the air for air chains, but it's all pretty much preset; kind of reminds me of the Ninja Master's air combos a bit. I did notice in training mode that you can follow these up with things on the ground if you're quick enough, though.

This game is no Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, KOF, Street Fighter, or Guilty Gear, but it's still pretty good nonetheless. And while the characters are from Idea Factory games, it is nice to see a NEW 2D fighting game out there. Although I think many people will probably think this title is from 1996 when they see it; it looks pretty dated and has some small sprites, but then again, I guess that's okay, since most fighting games these days are still using sprites from the mid 90s anyway. :loco:

JLoZeppelie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan :buttrock:
Thnx for the info buddy, i got the game soon :drool_2:
And now i'm waiting for Art Of Fighting Collection :make_fac:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
SNK is slowly making me a poor man, a dirt poor man with alot of great game collecitons. This couldn't be a better release. Like whats already been mentioned before, Finally we can play the cart versions with the NGCD soundtracks instead of those horrible ports of yesterday with good NGCD music and horrible framerates.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Picked this up tonight thanks mainly to Lyte's recommendation.

Been playing KOF '95 for the last hour. :D

Edit:

Like this a lot so far.

Is '97 emulated? The drive seems fairly busy during that one.

Only thing I have noticed so far are the voices seem louder than the BGM, but you can increase the BGM in the options anyway.

Also, there seems to be a weird blur on the sprites in '95 whenever they get hit. It seemed really odd at first, so is definitely not usual, but I stopped noticing it after a while.

Cool to be able to play all these games in one with MVS or NEO CD sound, plus no loading times and some extra options.

Last edited: