Rolling Neo video Problems

Oh boy. ISn't selling Neo stuff a wonderful experience? You get money.

Then things go wrong. Let's look at a quote from my buyer.

"I got the Neo, and everything looked amazing, and I was very pleased to get it super fast like that and everything, and I was super excited to finally be able to play my Neo-Geo games, but something is wrong with the Video output.

I've tried it in RGB, and I've also tried the regular video cable, and on both of them, I get a rolling picture that won't stop rolling and goes color and then black and white and then color. I tried it with all my games, on different TV's and got the same result everytime.

Man, just when I thought I finally had found a Neo for a decent deal. So what's the deal bro? Was this Neo supposedly working fine for you? Cause right now for me it's a doorstop, cause the video is all jacked up. It doesn't even have a RF plug on it anywhere, where I could at least use it in RF. I guess Neo's don't have a normal RF output but have to use some kind of adapter."

Anything you think could be the problem? It worked perfectly with a set of Genesis 1 AV cables when I sold it. I'm probably going to point him in the direction of this thread too.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Did you sell it to someone here in the US or to someone overseas (he mentioned trying RGB). If so, it could be a 50/60Hz issue with his TV.

A rolling picture could be a PAL/NTSC issue, but you should have noticed that when you used it, unless your TV supports both modes and you never knew.

Jeff

Nope, he's a Californian. I sent him Genesis 1 AV cables and those worked for me for at least a year. Those didn't work for him. I only used Japanese games on the system, although I'm not sure if he was using US games. Even then, that shouldn't make anyh difference at all. I told him to try some more TVs. Could even be interference. If anything, the USPS could've nuked it somehow, even in the amount of styrofoam peanuts I had in there.

As for my TVs supporting both Pal/NTSC, Even if the two I used did (Delicious Sony Trinitrons) we also had it working on at least one ancient TV.

Anthony1

n00b
Hi, I'm the guy that bought the Neo from Mr. Smiley. Here is a post that pretty much explains my situation:

Ok, I recently acquired a Neo-Geo AES. My plan was to use it in RGB on my Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor. I didn't think I needed a special Neo-Geo RGB cable, because I already had a Genesis 1 RGB cable, and I also already had a Neo-Geo CD rgb cable, and I thought the connector was the same.

So, at first, I tried using the Neo-Geo CD rgb cable with it on my Commodore 1084S-D1. But the picture was rolling and bouncing and sometimes going black and white and sometimes color. You can kinda see the games, and they do look very clear, but the picture is bouncing and rolling and doing some strange things.

So then I tried my Genesis 1 RGB cable. Same exact result.

So, at this point, I tried to hook up the Neo-Geo to the Commdore 1084S-D1 via the composite input, and the regular A/V cables that came with the Geo. Same exact result. This had me really worried, cause I thought that maybe the video output of this Neo-Geo was malfunctioning. But I tried hooking up the Neo-Geo to some other TV's in my house via composite, and there was no rolling or bouncing, and it looked fine. The composite signal looked pretty damn crappy, with alot of noise and stuff, but it appeared to be working fine. (unless the composite output isn't supposed to be so crappy)

So at this point, I'm wondering if I need a RGB cable that is specific to the Neo-Geo AES, and that a Genesis 1 rgb cable or a Neo-Geo CD rgb cable won't work? Or should a Genesis 1 rgb cable work fine? Maybe there is something wrong with the video output on this Neo, cause I did try to hook up a SNES, NES and Genny 2 to my Commodore 1084S-D1's composite input and all 3 worked fine, but when I tried the Neo again, the same problem with the rolling and bouncing picture happened.

The serial number for this Neo-Geo is 90A 013156 . I believe that it is a USA version.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I was a total dumbass for trying to use a Genesis 1 rgb cable and Neo-Geo CD rgb cable with it. I hope that's the case, and that I just need to get a regular Neo-Geo AES rgb cable for my Commodore 1084S-D1. The only thing that is really weird, is the fact that it still does the rolling when the Neo is connected to the commodore 1084S-D1's composite input, even when everything else I try on that composite input works fine. Hmmm.

Please somebody tell me that a Genesis 1 rgb cable or a Neo-Geo CD rgb cable "CANNOT WORK" on a regular AES. If that is the case, then maybe everything is cool! I mean it still works on some of my regular TV's in composite, but the video signal really looks like crap. An awful lot of noise in the picture on composite.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unless modded, the Neo Geo RGB tends to be Ass, if usable at all.

Don't some Commie monitors Require sync on green?

Also, Make sure the pinouts are the same.

gamesx.com

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
First of all the Neo Geo and the Megadrive/Genesis A/V ports are not identical shapewise. The Neo requires a DIN-8 270 degree plug, MD/Genesis a DIN-8 262 degree plug:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9683/din8plugs9hw.jpg

Secondly, Commodore 1084 monitors are like arcade monitors in that they require RGB and Sync. So if you're feeding them composite video instead of sync you'll get an unstable, rolling picture (tried this myself).

Here's the two possible A/V port pinouts for Neo Geo home systems (this difference is not reported on gamesx and similar sites):

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4203/ngavport6pa.jpg

On the later revisions there is no sync output on the A/V port and pin 7 which is sync on earlier revisions here is just a second composite video pin, same as pin 3. If you have one of these revisions you can either mod it internally by restoring sync on pin 7 or you can use an external circuit to strip sync from composite video (the first way is preferable). However if the serial number is 13156 (pretty low) I wouldn't expect to find one of these later PCB revisions in it, so you're probably using pin 3 (composite video) instead of pin 7 (Sync). Open up your Neo, check what revision you have (the codes are written along the right edge) and make an RGB cable accordingly.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could also be that he has a crap TV that doesnt have a wide scan range. I know my friend Jeremy had a TV that did that and then he got a Wega and it worked with no problems. I know some TVs are tempermental if it is not exactly 60hz, I think the Neo outputs 59.xxhz

edit: Hey Anthony, just realised it was you. When I hook mine up to one of my monitors it just says "Out of scan range".

Last edited:

Anthony1

n00b
MKL said:
Open up your Neo, check what revision you have (the codes are written along the right edge) and make an RGB cable accordingly.

I'm not really a technical guy, I always pay folks to make me cables or mods, etc, etc. But I opened an Atari Jaguar once and tried to see if I could repair it's power problem. Anyways, I grabbed my Neo and looked at the bottom to see how to open and I only see one screw on there. I took that one screw off, and I can kinda pull off that one side a little bit, but it doesn't want to seem to come off. I don't want to force it and break the thing, but I'm not sure how to get this thing open without messing it up.

Again, sorry to sound like a retard.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
There are more screws beneath the rubber feet. Pry the feet off gently and make sure the sticky side of them doesn't get dirty and you should be able to put them back just fine when you are done.

Anthony1

n00b
MKL said:
Open up your Neo, check what revision you have (the codes are written along the right edge) and make an RGB cable accordingly.

Ok, I opened up the Neo, but I'm not sure where you mean to look. When you say the right edge, are you talking about the right side of the Neo's motherboard? on the right side it says.... made in japan neo-aes SNK

I'm not sure if that is what your talking about, in terms of the right edge. Maybe if you could tell me what chips are near where I'm supposed to be looking. On the right side, there is a couple of Sony chips, and then above those two Sony chips are these two chips that start with HD74L, and directly to the right of those is the letter M, and then it says neo-aes and then it has a large SNK.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anthony1 said:
Ok, I opened up the Neo, but I'm not sure where you mean to look. When you say the right edge, are you talking about the right side of the Neo's motherboard? on the right side it says.... made in japan neo-aes SNK

I'm not sure if that is what your talking about, in terms of the right edge. Maybe if you could tell me what chips are near where I'm supposed to be looking. On the right side, there is a couple of Sony chips, and then above those two Sony chips are these two chips that start with HD74L, and directly to the right of those is the letter M, and then it says neo-aes and then it has a large SNK.

If there are no numbers then it's probably a 1st gen. Mine has no numbers either on the right edge but my newer one says NEO AES 3-6

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
You have the very first AES version (with sync on the A/V port), as was to be expected from such a low serial number. The RGB cable must be wired incorrectly then (besides not having an exactly matching plug). Do you have any other console (Genesis, NGCD) that you can test it with? BTW what kind of RGB connector are you using on the 1084, a 6-pin round one or a 9-pin D-sub one?

Anthony1

n00b
MKL said:
You have the very first AES version (with sync on the A/V port), as was to be expected from such a low serial number. The RGB cable must be wired incorrectly then (besides not having an exactly matching plug). Do you have any other console (Genesis, NGCD) that you can test it with? BTW what kind of RGB connector are you using on the 1084, a 6-pin round one or a 9-pin D-sub one?

I don't have a Neo-Geo CD unit right now, I got the cable in advance thinking that I was getting a Neo-Geo CD, but then I changed my mind and decided to go with a AES.

The Genesis 1 RGB cable that I was using is one that I've had for a long, long time. From way back in the days when Redmond Cable used to make RGB cables to order. It works on my Genny 1 just fine. My 1084S has a 9 pin D-Sub female on the back.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If the Genesis works with the same cable then it's wired correctly as the Genesis wouldn't work either if the cable used the composite video pin (3) as sync. As I showed above Genesis and Neo Geo don't have exactly the same socket and the sync pin is crucially affected by this difference. This means that if the plug on the cable is made for the Genesis then there could be a bad contact when it's plugged into the Neo socket. Actually it shouldn't plug at all, if it does it's because someone forced it in which isn't a good thing. Compare the plug with the pics I posted above. And if you could post pics yourself it would help a lot, for instance a pic of the Neo board in the upper left part where the A/V port is.

Anthony1

n00b
MrSmiley381 said:
"I got the Neo, and everything looked amazing, and I was very pleased to get it super fast like that and everything, and I was super excited to finally be able to play my Neo-Geo games, but something is wrong with the Video output.

I've tried it in RGB, and I've also tried the regular video cable, and on both of them, I get a rolling picture that won't stop rolling and goes color and then black and white and then color. I tried it with all my games, on different TV's and got the same result everytime.

Man, just when I thought I finally had found a Neo for a decent deal. So what's the deal bro? Was this Neo supposedly working fine for you? Cause right now for me it's a doorstop, cause the video is all jacked up. It doesn't even have a RF plug on it anywhere, where I could at least use it in RF. I guess Neo's don't have a normal RF output but have to use some kind of adapter."

Damn, MrSmiley381, I must apologize for being such a total ass in the post that I sent you. That is just plain ridiculous, and I should never have come at you like that, regardless of any video problems that I was having. I overreacted big time, and I hadn't actually really tested it on my other TV's at that time, even though I said I did. That was just a really dumbass PM that I sent, because I was acting like a punk cause I couldn't get it to work in RGB. When it didn't work in composite either on that 1084 for some weird reason, I just assumed right then that it was broken. Then the next day, I actually tried it on some other TV's and it worked, so I felt like a total dumbass after that.

I must say, that the deal that MrSmiley381 gave me on the Neo-Geo was so amazing, that I really thought it was too good to be true. So when it didn't work at all on my 1084, I figured that the deal "really" was too good to be true, literally. So I have to really apologize for acting so harsh in those first few PM's that I sent you.