Gran Turismo 4 Thread

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Robert said:
My picks:
Alpine Cup: Nice oldschool cup with a gold classic car as prize: Alpine A110 1600S 1973
BMW M club: You can't go wrong with M motorsport. Prize: M3 GTR.
Shelby cup: I like the old shelbys and you get a nice GT 350R
Elise Trophy: Lightweight to the best but not a tremendous prize.
Type R cup: see what I typed for M club and replace M motorsport by type R. Prize Honda HSC

Thanks. I did have a look at the Alpine cup the other day but I only have one Alpine, and it is the one that is least competitive. Maybe I will give it another try.

I'll check out the others you mention too, as I haven't done any of them yet.

I found myself in the Citroen CV2 championship! Quite a lot of fun, and fairly tough too. I have some tips if anyone is thinking of taking it on. Golded them all apart from Tsukuba: that is quite tricky. The prize car isn't so hot.... ;)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
I see. Do you get them all gold, or does that depend on your GT3 data?

I'm not sure, I just noticed that liscenses A and B were stamped with "passed".

Usually I just run through each test once and get a bronze or silver then move on to the next one.

hanafudaX said:
I found myself in the Citroen CV2 championship!

Citroen 2CV???!!! Is that in the game?

hanafuda

Magnaflux said:
Citroen 2CV???!!! Is that in the game?

Yeah! At least it is in the JPN version. I'm pretty sure it is a prize car only, so you can't buy one. I think I won one somewhere in the European Hall. Maybe on the classic car type event in there.

The 2CV championship is a pretty entertaining event. The car takes some getting used to! Funny to race too: those things can barely make it up a slope, and the fastest you will go is about 93 Kph, and that is going downhill, with a tailwind!!

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
my favorite cup is the nissan Z cup. that and in the european championship the british lightweight cup. using the little triumph spitfire to try and ease by everyone else just makes for such a good challenge. and i love the Z's...they're all quick, nippy, and great handlers. for a while there on GT4 i had set out to collect all the possible Z's in the game. i did so but that 80's Z was the top choice for me.

and my favorite goofy race is the subaru 360 race. that thing was just so lame. or the daihatsu midget race. 11 horses and 5 other cars fighting for the low speed victory.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, I know Ice Arena is a bitch. That's why I have been avoiding it! I think I will do Grand Canyon on hard next as that is where I have been working recently.

I beat Tsukuba in the rain a while ago. Can't remember which car I used, but I don't recall it being that tough.

Last night I beat the Renault Megane cup. Not sure where to go next. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for manufacturer events really. Preferrably fun with a decent prize car :)

well then I ask you this, what car did you use?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
perfect ice arena car for me is the toyota celica rally car. it was just right for bouncing the rear end off the turns and blasting away quick. she won all three of em for me. ice arena and chamonix.

hanafuda

OrochiEddie said:

I don't know. Don't remember. I cleared Normal and Easy a while ago. Maybe I will try Hard tonight.

The Spitfire is a fun car to drive. I enjoyed the Spitfire cup too.

Fairlady Zs? Love 'em. Saw a gorgeous new black one on the way home from work tonight. Would love to take one for a test drive.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Yeah! At least it is in the JPN version. I'm pretty sure it is a prize car only, so you can't buy one. I think I won one somewhere in the European Hall. Maybe on the classic car type event in there.

The 2CV championship is a pretty entertaining event. The car takes some getting used to! Funny to race too: those things can barely make it up a slope, and the fastest you will go is about 93 Kph, and that is going downhill, with a tailwind!!

Hahahah awesome. Alexis Isogoniss made the suspension on that car so that you could put a basket of eggs in the backseat while driving over terraced farm fields without breaking one.

For a tin shed on wheels, they're pretty neat from an engineering standpoint. :emb:

hanafuda

Magnaflux said:
Hahahah awesome. Alexis Isogoniss made the suspension on that car so that you could put a basket of eggs in the backseat while driving over terraced farm fields without breaking one.

For a tin shed on wheels, they're pretty neat from an engineering standpoint. :emb:

Yeah, they are a legend.

If you want to get your hands on one, go to the European Hall and win the French Championship event. Prize car = CITROEN 2CV Type-A '54.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
I don't know. Don't remember. I cleared Normal and Easy a while ago. Maybe I will try Hard tonight.

The Spitfire is a fun car to drive. I enjoyed the Spitfire cup too.

Fairlady Zs? Love 'em. Saw a gorgeous new black one on the way home from work tonight. Would love to take one for a test drive.

Tsukaba rain on hard pits you against an Audi B1 race car. It's a completely different race than easy and medium....but thats if you don't know how to play dirty.
Only time I really use bumper cars to my advantage

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
on tsukuba on hard in the rain you need to cheat to win. i used the nissan R92CP race car and just rammed the audi into the dirt any chance got.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
on tsukuba on hard in the rain you need to cheat to win. i used the nissan R92CP race car and just rammed the audi into the dirt any chance got.

I used the Penzoil GTR and did the same. I felt so genious when I did it. The audi got stuck on a wall or something and I stole the glory. Hahaha i'm awesome

hanafuda

Well, I re ran the Tsukuba in the rain on hard in the Nissan R92CP for 10 A Spec points and it was a total walkover. There was no contact between me and the CPU in Toyota Minolta sponsored car, and even so I was past him by the end of the first lap.

Like the event though, and the replay is sweet. Really nice low angle, sweeping camera shots.

For the BMW M3 cup I cleared it, but only had the M3 racecar that could compete so the opponents were no competition. Still, first time I have had chance to use that car, and it is really nice. Has a really solid feel, and very fast with it.

Cleared the Nissan Z cup too. Realised that I was actually already half way through it from a previous sniff around that area of the game.

Then went on to do some practise in the Ice Arena in a Ford RS200 Rally Car. My best lap was a 51.5. May not be enough to beat the CPU in the Hard event though...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Well, I re ran the Tsukuba in the rain on hard in the Nissan R92CP for 10 A Spec points and it was a total walkover. There was no contact between me and the CPU in Toyota Minolta sponsored car, and even so I was past him by the end of the first lap.

Like the event though, and the replay is sweet. Really nice low angle, sweeping camera shots.

For the BMW M3 cup I cleared it, but only had the M3 racecar that could compete so the opponents were no competition. Still, first time I have had chance to use that car, and it is really nice. Has a really solid feel, and very fast with it.

Cleared the Nissan Z cup too. Realised that I was actually already half way through it from a previous sniff around that area of the game.

Then went on to do some practise in the Ice Arena in a Ford RS200 Rally Car. My best lap was a 51.5. May not be enough to beat the CPU in the Hard event though...

ah, well i was using a car a class lower so probably why i had so many problems.

I did the z cup too, but with some prize nissan Z (option z? i think). The car starts really slow then after 3,000 rpm is rockets off. Hard as hell to control, but made the races fairly easy.

hanafuda

OrochiEddie said:
I did the z cup too, but with some prize nissan Z (option z? i think). The car starts really slow then after 3,000 rpm is rockets off. Hard as hell to control, but made the races fairly easy.

Ah, I know the one you mean. The one with a really bright orange paint job, right? Yeah, that thing is a beast in terms of power, but getting it moving off the line is hard work :)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
ah, well i was using a car a class lower so probably why i had so many problems.

reminds me of the HPA motorsports R32, huge turbo lag but when you get the revs up it flies. i had the option stream Z and sold it soon after using it a few times the lag was just killer. though i managed to get it good off the line by holding in the brake and revving it high then letting it out and upshifting quick so as to kick it up high really fast and keep it flying.

i really wish the game had a clutch button like in enthusia racing. it allowes you to press in the clutch and keep the engine detatched so when you drop the clutch back in it reattaches and off you go super fast. but for some reason that would have made more sense, and made for more use out of the clutches that can be bought in the game. then again they'd make it so your clutch and tranny could break just to fuck you over.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
reminds me of the HPA motorsports R32, huge turbo lag but when you get the revs up it flies. i had the option stream Z and sold it soon after using it a few times the lag was just killer. though i managed to get it good off the line by holding in the brake and revving it high then letting it out and upshifting quick so as to kick it up high really fast and keep it flying.

i really wish the game had a clutch button like in enthusia racing. it allowes you to press in the clutch and keep the engine detatched so when you drop the clutch back in it reattaches and off you go super fast. but for some reason that would have made more sense, and made for more use out of the clutches that can be bought in the game. then again they'd make it so your clutch and tranny could break just to fuck you over.

my guess is that due to the fact that they were REALLY encouraging the use of the wheel and not the controller and the wheel not having a clutch pedal they opted it out. my guess

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
my guess is that due to the fact that they were REALLY encouraging the use of the wheel and not the controller and the wheel not having a clutch pedal they opted it out. my guess
honestly the wheel is overrated. i use the controller, and i've won my fair share of races against other people who claim the controller to be "inferior" or "not as accurate" but to be fair the D-pad and buttons works perfec for me. it allows me to get the kind of turning and drifting i want, sure the wheel would be nice but man it's just not my thing. if i want to drive a car i'll drive one of the ones i own. if i'm gonna play a game i'll use a controller.

Robert

20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
honestly the wheel is overrated. i use the controller, and i've won my fair share of races against other people who claim the controller to be "inferior" or "not as accurate" but to be fair the D-pad and buttons works perfec for me. it allows me to get the kind of turning and drifting i want, sure the wheel would be nice but man it's just not my thing. if i want to drive a car i'll drive one of the ones i own. if i'm gonna play a game i'll use a controller.

For me the best improvement over the pads with the steering wheel is...the pedals. you can get some pretty nice turns with a pad but you're miles away when it comes to acceleration and braking.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:

Well, each to their own, but I think the GT Force Pro is awesome. Best peripheral I have ever bought. Actually, my better half got it for me. Regardless, I have used it a ton.

The force feedback is superb, and the 'feel' of the road you get is excellent too. Plus, you simply get a much better feel of the car too. On top of that, you can do left foot braking and right foot acceleration, which I don't really think you can perform with a pad, and then there is the complete spectrum of braking and acceleration, which you just can't do with a pad.

Believe me, I 100%ed GT3 using nothing but the standard SONY pad, but it doesn't come close to the GT Force Pro. Sure, you can get some respectable laps in with just the pad, but playing with the GT Force Pro just takes the game to a completely different level. If anyone is debating getting one: don't debate, just get one.

Anyway, I am currently B Spec ing one of the Le Mans 24 hour races. I have hardly touched B Spec at all. Is there any way you can stay in X3 speed mode, or will it always come out of it when it is time to pit?

Looks like I'm going to come third :crying: Feel sorry for my driver: he has been on, 'hard push' for the last 12 hours...

Robert

20 Year Member
A 24 hours race sounds tempting, perhaps one day I will give it a try in A-Spec mode with some friends.

For those who like Le Mans, it's in one month now. This year I will try to go to support the Pescarolo team. I also want to see the Diesel powered Audis. Could be a Milestone if Audi wins with those car.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Robert said:
A 24 hours race sounds tempting, perhaps one day I will give it a try in A-Spec mode with some friends.

For those who like Le Mans, it's in one month now. This year I will try to go to support the Pescarolo team. I also want to see the Diesel powered Audis. Could be a Milestone if Audi wins with those car.
i'm watching the corvette team. they've won every race for their class in the ALMS this year and come dangerously close to beating the audis. hopefully they can do it.

hanafuda

Robert said:

Yeah, A-Spec on a 24 hour race with a bunch of friends would be something I would be up for trying, but most definitely not on my own. Not even with long breaks in between. Just doing that Suzuka endurance the other day took over 4 hours, and it was hard work..

My parents visited the circuit at Le Mans last year (no race event, just some car testing), and got me a DVD of the 2003 race where the Bentleys ruled supreme :) My Dad went to the 24 hour race one year when the GT40s won back in the 60s. My brother is going to watch the 24 hour race this year. I'll make it one day...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Well, each to their own, but I think the GT Force Pro is awesome. Best peripheral I have ever bought. Actually, my better half got it for me. Regardless, I have used it a ton.

The force feedback is superb, and the 'feel' of the road you get is excellent too. Plus, you simply get a much better feel of the car too. On top of that, you can do left foot braking and right foot acceleration, which I don't really think you can perform with a pad, and then there is the complete spectrum of braking and acceleration, which you just can't do with a pad.

Believe me, I 100%ed GT3 using nothing but the standard SONY pad, but it doesn't come close to the GT Force Pro. Sure, you can get some respectable laps in with just the pad, but playing with the GT Force Pro just takes the game to a completely different level. If anyone is debating getting one: don't debate, just get one.

Anyway, I am currently B Spec ing one of the Le Mans 24 hour races. I have hardly touched B Spec at all. Is there any way you can stay in X3 speed mode, or will it always come out of it when it is time to pit?

Looks like I'm going to come third :crying: Feel sorry for my driver: he has been on, 'hard push' for the last 12 hours...

I heard the rally races are much harder on the wheel.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i'm watching the corvette team. they've won every race for their class in the ALMS this year and come dangerously close to beating the audis. hopefully they can do it.
You have a better chance of sleeping with Vida Guerra than the Corvettes actually having a shot at beating Audi.