Gran Turismo 4 Thread

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
i think it was IA14 or something, on twin ring motegi? you start off coming down a hill, and then you go into a curve that leads into another sharp turn, and you're in this amazingly bad car that seems to have zero grip, i think it was a ford? must have taken a thousand tries to clear that thing

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I just cracked 50% completion :)

Didn't get anything for it though. No prize car, and no ending movie :crying:

hanafuda

Anyone have any sound advice for Grand Canyon? The makers of the game freely admit it is the most difficult course in the game, and so far I have been avoiding it, but the time has come to really master it.

My best time so far is only a laughable 2:50 though :(

Edit:

After a good few practise laps I finally managed to beat Grand Canyon -A Normal. Only 1 A Spec point, and even then I only won by 1.2 seconds. Very, very tough. Now for Grand Canyon -B...

Last edited:

Robert

20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Anyone have any sound advice for Grand Canyon? The makers of the game freely admit it is the most difficult course in the game, and so far I have been avoiding it, but the time has come to really master it.

My best time so far is only a laughable 2:50 though :(

Edit:

After a good few practise laps I finally managed to beat Grand Canyon -A Normal. Only 1 A Spec point, and even then I only won by 1.2 seconds. Very, very tough. Now for Grand Canyon -B...

Without practice and with a Evo VIII RS completely stock, I just made 2:46. Tough race after my idea. I'm into a rallye mood with the Evo so I might dig this one. Here's some basic setting advices from what I felt.

-Slighty increase the car height for the jumps (It will make win some stability during the 3 jumps serie)

-For the Jump serie, try a higher setting in "détente" (don't know the english term for this but in your suspension setting you have compression and "détente" so you'll see what I mean) than in compression. The car won't bump after the jump.

-very short gear ratio (my RS couldn't reach the 5th gear)

-Tons of aero (you won't go fast in this race so...)

Will give more tuning advices after some tries.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
do what i did. use the dodge ram 1500 hemi. beef it up as much as you can. start the race with it, pass them, the vehicle is so large they can't get around it and you just keep going along nice and slow. then on the straight use the nitrous and floor it to keep ahead.

hanafuda

Robert said:
Without practice and with a Evo VIII RS completely stock, I just made 2:46. Tough race after my idea. I'm into a rallye mood with the Evo so I might dig this one. Here's some basic setting advices from what I felt.

-Slighty increase the car height for the jumps (It will make win some stability during the 3 jumps serie)

-For the Jump serie, try a higher setting in "détente" (don't know the english term for this but in your suspension setting you have compression and "détente" so you'll see what I mean) than in compression. The car won't bump after the jump.

-very short gear ratio (my RS couldn't reach the 5th gear)

-Tons of aero (you won't go fast in this race so...)

Will give more tuning advices after some tries.

Thanks. I won the event using the Toyota Rally Raid car unmodded. I'll take a look a the settings tonight, but I imagine things like the downforce will be at max already.

I think my best time in that is a 2:46 now, so I'm improving, but still not happy with it.

Getting some practise laps in on Grand Canyon -B now so that I am competitive for the event in reverse.

Kim _Kaphwan said:
do what i did. use the dodge ram 1500 hemi. beef it up as much as you can. start the race with it, pass them, the vehicle is so large they can't get around it and you just keep going along nice and slow. then on the straight use the nitrous and floor it to keep ahead.

Getting past the CPU car at the straight on the start is definitely the best option that I can see, and it worked for me in the Rally Raid Car too. As for the blocking tactic though, I would rather win on driving skill, so will spend some more time getting familiar with the track and car.

I'm dreading Grand Canyon in hard though...

Robert

20 Year Member
Ok, I gave Grand Canyon some laps last night and here is my conclusion (car: Evo VIII RS stock with just a DCV):
-With a clean drive and a good skill 2:35-2:36 is achievable.
-Strangely modifying the front axe/rear axe power distribution ratio with the DCV didn't bring me anything. I tried from 10% to 50% (10 different settings) and I achieved roughtly the same time.

If anyone has an explanation on this, please tell me cause I don't get it.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Getting past the CPU car at the straight on the start is definitely the best option that I can see, and it worked for me in the Rally Raid Car too. As for the blocking tactic though, I would rather win on driving skill, so will spend some more time getting familiar with the track and car.

I'm dreading Grand Canyon in hard though...
i know it seems kind of unfair to the CPU and like cheating but when you've tried that race a million times and are still unable to do it you get angry and desperate.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
i know it seems kind of unfair to the CPU and like cheating but when you've tried that race a million times and are still unable to do it you get angry and desperate.

No worries, I totally know where you are coming from. When I first starting playing the game back in Jan 2005 I was determined to gold the special conditions hall, but Grand Canyon on Normal put a stop to that... Over the last few months I have been playing the game a ton more, and the other day ventured into the special conditions hall again with the intention of clearing it. Grand Canyon -A Normal was first on the list, and as I knew myself that I wasn't good on the course, I did a whole load of practise in Free Run mode so that I could get competitive on it.

I still have some other gems like Ice Arena Hard, Tahiti Maze Hard, and Grand Canyon Hard left to do...

hanafuda

I beat Grand Canyon -B on normal :)

I did a 2:44 lap, but I'm still not happy on that course.

Just three more events left before I clear the Special Conditions Hall, but they are all extremely tough...

Before I take that on, I am going to do the Renault Clio event.

hanafuda

The Clio event is sweet!

Had a great time on it using a bog standard Clio Phase 2 with racing tires.

The Clio race cars are faster than you in terms of speed, but you can take time out of them on the corners with your racing tires. Providing you drive well you can win, and are in for some great racing at the same time.

Don't go for super soft tires as they will be in shreds before the end of the race.

Anything above that and you are fine. I was using soft racing tires which gives you about 131 A Spec points. If that isn't enough challenge for you, increase the hardness (?) of your tires.

Suzuka I won by 0.123 seconds! Made a couple of minor mistakes, but overall pretty good.

Motegi I came off badly on the second corner of the first lap. Was never able to make up the deficit. Came last. Possibly the toughest because there are lots of fast sections.

Won the rest pretty comfortably to grab the Clio Race Car prize :)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
No worries, I totally know where you are coming from. When I first starting playing the game back in Jan 2005 I was determined to gold the special conditions hall, but Grand Canyon on Normal put a stop to that... Over the last few months I have been playing the game a ton more, and the other day ventured into the special conditions hall again with the intention of clearing it. Grand Canyon -A Normal was first on the list, and as I knew myself that I wasn't good on the course, I did a whole load of practise in Free Run mode so that I could get competitive on it.

I still have some other gems like Ice Arena Hard, Tahiti Maze Hard, and Grand Canyon Hard left to do...
tahiti maze is one of my favorite tracks in that hall. i love it. i use the hyundai accent rally car on it and just drift everywhere. it's a really easy course just stick to first or second gear and drift it. very fun course as well.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
tahiti maze is one of my favorite tracks in that hall. i love it. i use the hyundai accent rally car on it and just drift everywhere. it's a really easy course just stick to first or second gear and drift it. very fun course as well.

It was in GT3 so I am pretty familiar with it, but even so it is easy to spin out on it, especially when under pressure from the CPU. 5 laps requires a lot of concentration... I need to pick a car and then really get used to the handling before I attempt it.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
It was in GT3 so I am pretty familiar with it, but even so it is easy to spin out on it, especially when under pressure from the CPU. 5 laps requires a lot of concentration... I need to pick a car and then really get used to the handling before I attempt it.
only time i've ever spun out is when entering the tarmac at the end/beginning of the track. every thing else is just so easy to drift through.

Robert

20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
The Clio event is sweet!

Had a great time on it using a bog standard Clio Phase 2 with racing tires.

The Clio race cars are faster than you in terms of speed, but you can take time out of them on the corners with your racing tires. Providing you drive well you can win, and are in for some great racing at the same time.

Don't go for super soft tires as they will be in shreds before the end of the race.

Anything above that and you are fine. I was using soft racing tires which gives you about 131 A Spec points. If that isn't enough challenge for you, increase the hardness (?) of your tires.

Suzuka I won by 0.123 seconds! Made a couple of minor mistakes, but overall pretty good.

Motegi I came off badly on the second corner of the first lap. Was never able to make up the deficit. Came last. Possibly the toughest because there are lots of fast sections.

Won the rest pretty comfortably to grab the Clio Race Car prize :)

Congratulation,

I never tested the CLIO V6 phase 2 on GT4 but in real life it's kind of a man's car. I hope they managed to make you feel that.
I agree with you on the racing tyres, they completely change your car. It gets to the point that some cars give you the impression that you are on rails. Take a Yaris F on the suzuka test drive and put the super soft, except on the right curve after the straight line, you don't use the brake!!!!!

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I bought this game over the weekend.

It was nice to be able to copy my cash and liscenses over from GT3.

I'm flossing a beater RX-7 with a small turbo. I'm the sunday cup terrorist!

I won a few cars, but they're poop so I'll sell them soon to buy a Daimler tricycle! :make_fac:

hanafuda

Robert said:
Congratulation,

I never tested the CLIO V6 phase 2 on GT4 but in real life it's kind of a man's car. I hope they managed to make you feel that.

You should pick one up. Really fun to drive, and I am sure you would really enjoy that Clio Cup race in one. They aren't overly expensive.

Magnaflux: do all your GT3 licences copy straight over? I 100%ed GT3, but I didn't really pay enough attention to the import thing when I first started my GT4 game and don't think I imported the data...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I bought this game over the weekend.

It was nice to be able to copy my cash and liscenses over from GT3.

I'm flossing a beater RX-7 with a small turbo. I'm the sunday cup terrorist!

I won a few cars, but they're poop so I'll sell them soon to buy a Daimler tricycle! :make_fac:
you need to get the TVR cerbera speed six.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
You should pick one up. Really fun to drive, and I am sure you would really enjoy that Clio Cup race in one. They aren't overly expensive.

Magnaflux: do all your GT3 licences copy straight over? I 100%ed GT3, but I didn't really pay enough attention to the import thing when I first started my GT4 game and don't think I imported the data...
and no the only licenses you get are the A and B licenses and 100,000 dollars (or whatever they cal the money)

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
and no the only licenses you get are the A and B licenses and 100,000 dollars (or whatever they cal the money)

I see. Do you get them all gold, or does that depend on your GT3 data?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I used the Evo 4 rally car in my later rally races, but i did beat all of the rally races. It's a matter of practice and a bit of cock blocking. Worst part is CPU doesn't get time penalties and the just fly into your front end

now beating Tsukaba rain on hard....I have an awesome strategy for that race

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:

Ice arena is a total bitch. It was extremely frustrating for me to do. I suggest using a less powerful car so you don't go so out of control.

Robert

20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
Ice arena is a total bitch. It was extremely frustrating for me to do. I suggest using a less powerful car so you don't go so out of control.

If you manage to tune well the VCD on a 4*4 car then you'll be able to take the curves a little bit more easily but snow driving is tough whatever the car you take.

hanafuda

Robert said:
If you manage to tune well the VCD on a 4*4 car then you'll be able to take the curves a little bit more easily but snow driving is tough whatever the car you take.

Yeah, I know Ice Arena is a bitch. That's why I have been avoiding it! I think I will do Grand Canyon on hard next as that is where I have been working recently.

I beat Tsukuba in the rain a while ago. Can't remember which car I used, but I don't recall it being that tough.

Last night I beat the Renault Megane cup. Not sure where to go next. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for manufacturer events really. Preferrably fun with a decent prize car :)

Robert

20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, I know Ice Arena is a bitch. That's why I have been avoiding it! I think I will do Grand Canyon on hard next as that is where I have been working recently.

I beat Tsukuba in the rain a while ago. Can't remember which car I used, but I don't recall it being that tough.

Last night I beat the Renault Megane cup. Not sure where to go next. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for manufacturer events really. Preferrably fun with a decent prize car :)

My picks:
Alpine Cup: Nice oldschool cup with a gold classic car as prize: Alpine A110 1600S 1973
BMW M club: You can't go wrong with M motorsport. Prize: M3 GTR.
Shelby cup: I like the old shelbys and you get a nice GT 350R
Elise Trophy: Lightweight to the best but not a tremendous prize.
Type R cup: see what I typed for M club and replace M motorsport by type R. Prize Honda HSC