Gran Turismo 4 Thread

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Smiley said:
last gt game I played was the seond one, when my ps2 still worked. hate racing games and sports titles in general.

Do you often play games you hate?

Back on topic, I am 115 laps into Fuji. I'm tired :crying: Two and a half hours to go...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Do you often play games you hate?

Back on topic, I am 115 laps into Fuji. I'm tired :crying: Two and a half hours to go...
just bspec it and go to bed. haha that's what i do with the really long ones.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm totally going to play this game with my friends in 2 player Arcade Mode this weekend! I'm having a little get together and looking forward to pitting certain cars and people against each other.:multi_co:

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
just bspec it and go to bed. haha that's what i do with the really long ones.

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, as I 100%ed GT3 I am kind of used to the endurance races. That didn't have a B Spec option :)

I am pretty sure I won't be A Spec ing the 24 hour races!

I had to leave the system on pause last night as time caught up with me and I had to go out. Just finished it now. 5 hours and 2 minutes that took in total. Still, I have the Nissan R92 now :)

Robert

20 Year Member
Currently I'm playing with a '99 Yaris F.
The specs are as follow:
89 HP@6100RPM
820KG
short ratio gear box with sport clutch and flywheel
sport suspension
Sport tyres (soft)
Speedlines wheels.

The race I participate are
Yaris cup (approx 125 A-Spec for each)
Sunday cup (approx 110 A-spec for each)
FF cup (200A-spec for each)

It's a nice little car and it's a good way to learn braking point and many other racing skills.

hanafuda

Robert said:
FF cup (200A-spec for each)

It's a nice little car and it's a good way to learn braking point and many other racing skills.

I see you like a challenge.

Does anyone know if that BMW LM racecar with the DELL sponsorship on it is only available if you buy it, or can you win it? I have a wad of cash now after winning that endurance race so am looking to blow some of it.

hanafuda

La Sarthe I

Free Run

Nissan R92 (unmodded)

3:20:411

Not a perfect lap, but not sloppy either.

Probably the finest game ever made. Does the US version have the narration that comes in some times during replays? Just listening to the explanation about the R92 development while watching a demo...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
man we don't get narration. i wish someone would talk to me while i played. i also wish you could upload your own music.

and i know i have a faster time than that in the chapparal 2J

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
man we don't get narration. i wish someone would talk to me while i played. i also wish you could upload your own music.

One of the things I don't like about the game is most of the music, but I don't care as I turn all music off during races and replays anyway.

I always forget about the narration, then when I stumble across it again I always think how cool it it is. I can never remember how you access it, but it isn't during replays. Just before I went into demonstration mode for La Sarthe while in the R92 and up came the narration. The narration is pretty long though, and if it is in there for every car (which I imagine it is), then it is just another factor that shows how much time was put into this game.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
so my friend brought his ps2 over last night, with this game.. oh man, i need a ps2now, what an incredible game.

did the licences up to IA, (super is hard :(), did a few beginner events, been doing a lot of the special condition races, but man is it ever hard going up against the 787B on the tsukuba rain race, that track is hard enough to begin with, have to be ever so careful..

i've heard some criticisms about the rally in the game, i don't think it's that bad, it's a lot of fun once you figure it out, just setting up your drift and then just flooring it and watching the apex zoom by, it's a lot of fun.

i enjoy it much much more than Forza, which is a piece of shit imo.. it's just very difficult to play with a controller, and has no style at all, the cars look sort of cartoony. plus there's more of a sense of speed in GT4, i mean, going around La Sarthe in that nissan P1 car on the IA licence graduation test, i was almost scared.

what is everyone's favorite tracks? myself, i really like Costa Di Amalfi, normal more than reverse, the dual hairpin causes me a bit of grief when going uphill..

hanafuda

Igniz v2 said:
so my friend brought his ps2 over last night, with this game.. oh man, i need a ps2now, what an incredible game.

did the licences up to IA, (super is hard :(), did a few beginner events, been doing a lot of the special condition races, but man is it ever hard going up against the 787B on the tsukuba rain race, that track is hard enough to begin with, have to be ever so careful..

i've heard some criticisms about the rally in the game, i don't think it's that bad, it's a lot of fun once you figure it out, just setting up your drift and then just flooring it and watching the apex zoom by, it's a lot of fun.

i enjoy it much much more than Forza, which is a piece of shit imo.. it's just very difficult to play with a controller, and has no style at all, the cars look sort of cartoony. plus there's more of a sense of speed in GT4, i mean, going around La Sarthe in that nissan P1 car on the IA licence graduation test, i was almost scared.

what is everyone's favorite tracks? myself, i really like Costa Di Amalfi, normal more than reverse, the dual hairpin causes me a bit of grief when going uphill..

Glad you are enjoying it.

I have cleared most of the Special Conditions hall apart from Grand Canyon, which is very difficult. Really need to spend more time on that. I beat the 787B event, but can't remember which car I used.

Favourite tracks? Probably Citta di Aria. To be honest the only ones I don't like are the ones I haven't learned how to drive properly, like Grand Canyon ;)

Think I'll be doing Laguna Seca 200 Miles today. I want the classic GT40!

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
seattle circuit is my favorite that and lemans (sarthe) II those two right there i can just drive for hours without even noticing the time go by.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I haven't touched my gt4 in months. I really should go back and play more of it.

It's a damn shame you cant run the Caterham 7 in any of the races. Love that car, dreamed about owning the real thing for years now (will do it someday, but first...buying a lotus exige). Anyways, try that car in the game. The car feels really really neutral, unlike anything else in the game.

hanafuda

Free Run
Citta Di Aria -A
Ford GT40 Racecar '69 (unmodded)
1:32:729

Igniz v2

bah, Citta Di Aria.. it's a good track, just sort of annoying since i tend to tap into the wall a bit and then it gives me those annoying 5 sec penalties in those head to head races.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Igniz v2 said:
bah, Citta Di Aria.. it's a good track, just sort of annoying since i tend to tap into the wall a bit and then it gives me those annoying 5 sec penalties in those head to head races.

I hate those penalties, more so on those rally tracks. I cant count how many times I lost a rally because I accidentally lightly tapped the fucking plastic orange rails. Fuck that.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
eek said:
I hate those penalties, more so on those rally tracks. I cant count how many times I lost a rally because I accidentally lightly tapped the fucking plastic orange rails. Fuck that.
dude what i hate is when you're trying to pass the other car and they bump you just to give you a penalty. i've noticed when rallying against any lancer evo they try to do that shit to me.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
dude what i hate is when you're trying to pass the other car and they bump you just to give you a penalty. i've noticed when rallying against any lancer evo they try to do that shit to me.

I haven't played in a while and totally forgot about that bullshit!!! And I swear sometimes you get bumped hard or you bump them hard, no penalty. Sometimes you touch the other car just a little bit and bam, penalty for you. They better get rid of this bullshit in the next GT.

hanafuda

Yeah, that penalty thing is a bit crap.

Fair enough if you hit a wall or barrier or something, but when the CPU rams you and you get penalised, it is pretty frustrating.

I can't remember the exact system, but only part of the car generate a penalty. It depends on which parts of the car connect... I have cleared most of the Special Conditions hall so haven't played those races for a while.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, that penalty thing is a bit crap.

Fair enough if you hit a wall or barrier or something, but when the CPU rams you and you get penalised, it is pretty frustrating.

I can't remember the exact system, but only part of the car generate a penalty. It depends on which parts of the car connect... I have cleared most of the Special Conditions hall so haven't played those races for a while.
the front end of the car and up to the driver and passenger doors and sometimes on four door cars the back doors as well. the rear end can hit the walls, the other car, or side tape and not cause a penalty. but if rallying in a rear drive car the penalty is hitting something with the rear end because then you get slowed down. thoughone of my favorite things when rallying is to get to a narrow part of the road and ram the other car as hard as i can into a wall to where they cannot get out by simply reversing or going forward then i can get a full lap or lap and a half on them sometimes and guarantee my win.

Igniz v2

some bullshit that i like to pull is on Tsukuba if it's a one on one race like the rain event, coming up to the turn that is wrapped by what looks like solar panels, if the other car is in front of you, just cut across the turn and ram him, it's nice because you're flying coming into that turn, and although you'll both probably end up in the gravel, you'll be able to get out of it faster, and you'll zip ahead, securing the win.

hanafuda

Free Run
Citta Di Aria -A
BMW Mclaren F1 GTR '97 (unmodded)
1:25:333

hanafuda

Free Run
Citta Di Aria -A
Nissan R92CP '92 (unmodded)
1:17:739

hanafuda

I just golded licence B16.

I think it must have taken about 300 attempts....

What time do you have to beat in the US? On the JPN version it is 23.700. I got 23.691!

Insanely difficult.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
when me and my friends golded all the licenses we were up for about a whole day or so just doing all of them as best we could. the super license is killer. though one of the ones i hated the most was i think in IA where you have to take an S2000 around a set of turns problem is the suspension is terrible on it and it spins out like there's no tomorrow. now i usually drive with no TCS on and this thing had to have negative TCS or something cause it just drove terrible. i remember when we tried that one it took us at least 2 hours.