CPS3 battery change guide.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
For me I would more guess the weak link in CPS3 is while connecting the cart to the mobo, we all know how MVS / AES games can be in this area so can't a improperly inserted CPS3 cart kill it and be a reason instead?

Not sure what you mean with improperly insterted.

The edge connector on CPS3 is keyed so you can't insert carts the wrong way as you can do with MVS carts (which however are designed so that power and ground pins will match anyhow).

Cart pins not aligned exactly with mobo pins and shorting next pins? (unlikely IMO)

Cart pins not making good contact with mobo pins (due to dirty contacts or cart wiggling)? This is actually a very common thing with cart-based systems but it would only be a possible problem with the "battery swap while game is on" method. That's indeed quite risky and I would never do it without the help of an additional power connection between mobo and cart (wires *soldered* from 5v/gnd on mobo to 5v/gnd on cart). But I don't see how this could cause problems to a cart where the battery has already been replaced successfully.

Sometimes people say that a cart has died but the battery is still good. I wonder if they also check whether or not the relevant power pin on the CPU is getting power. I mean, the diode in between the positive lead of the battery and the CPU could get faulty...

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
What I was suggesting is that maybe its somehow possible that if you don't insert the cart dead straight then some pins on the edge connector would connect while others are not. This situation then results in the cart dying. It seems very strange to me that there is a 2 week period.

Would it be possible to be a battery make issue and it overloading something on the carts?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Would it be possible to be a battery make issue and it overloading something on the carts?

It might affect certain cart revisions. Most carts come with 3V batteries factory. Most people replace them with the same battery as the CPS2 batteries which is 3.6V. Maybe the later revision of the security cart is more sensitive to the voltage. I used a 3.6V on my 3S and it died a week or so later. The 3S cart is also the only one I know of that has a black screen when it dies as opposed to the scrambled screen.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
One quick question fellas. I'm assuming that once the suicide battery dies in the cart and sits for an extended period of time it loses its data like a cps2 board correct?

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
google cps3 battery.

in short: cps3 has a more advanced security scheme than cps2, if the voltage is removed for ANY period of time, the cart is dead.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So is there any possibility of ever fixing this issue permanently? I killed my last 3rd Strike a few months ago attempting a battery swap. In this case, I used the power-on method which has worked for me before. It worked this time too...for a few days then all of the sudden the game just stopped working. I had the same thing happen with a mean-bean modded cart. It was fine one day, then later that day it was dead. Same battery and all, and it still read 3 volts. At this rate, its gonna get to the point in a few years where there are barely any working carts.

mota11

n00b
I have a SF III and 2nd impact hispanic working with the auxiliar second battery (I have pictures and video), I bought it one year ago approximately and it has the second battery solder yet, I dont know how many time is working with both batteries, but this still working. I have another cps3 system with SF III 3rd impact and come with the original case and the battery has never been changed, I has been thinking replace the battery of the SF III 3rd but I guess solder the second battery and leave working like the another system with 2 batteries. I dont know very much of arcade system or pcbs I'm novice. Thanks in advance for the help and the video tutorial of RedOrlando101, sorry my poor english I'm from Mexico.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I changed all of mine last year via power-on method. The only one that died was my third strike two weeks later. So it seems the method doesn't really matter though the power-on method is easier for sure.
Is there any clue to this day why a cart may die 2 weeks later of a battery swap?

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is there any clue to this day why a cart may die 2 weeks later of a battery swap?

Could be a cold solder joint somewhere. That's all I can think of. I used to have a 3rd Strike cart that was working for a few days, then it just died for no apparent reason. I checked the battery and it was still showing 3.6V. However, it was modded with a battery holder. I guess its possible the battery came loose.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Could be a cold solder joint somewhere. That's all I can think of. I used to have a 3rd Strike cart that was working for a few days, then it just died for no apparent reason. I checked the battery and it was still showing 3.6V. However, it was modded with a battery holder. I guess its possible the battery came loose.
Thanks for the feedback. There are some incidents like yours while there aren't any with cps2 dying in a few days after the swap. Very very strange...

Maybe Darksoft could enlighten us. He may has swapped dozens by now...