"Highly rated" shmups that you don't like and "Low rated" shmups that you love

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Overrated game I don't like:

Radirgy, maybe I need to giveit more time.

Underrated game I like:

Shippu Mahou Daisakusen, I mean it might not be underrated, but it's almost never mentioned anywhere, not even with hte hadcore crowd, and in fact is my favorite shooter of all time.

Radiant Silver Gun is way overrated, yes is a good game, but not the motherload everyone talks about, Ikaruga is better, but not by much, still Ikaruga is a great game, just not the great cheese that people talk about.

I like Ibara, and mostly because of the girls, I find them hot as hell:drool_2: Shooters and Girls is just a beautiful combination, check steam hearts:loco:

There are so many overrated titles is not even funny.

Battle Garegga
Shikigami series
Gunbird series (although 2 has the Genie...aahhh!)
Donpachi Series

I mean don't get me worng they're all good games, but the hype of the collectors bring the prices of this games up, and it sucks for the ones short on cash, who actually play the damn games, unlike the shelf boys.

Underrated games that deserve mentioning

Silpheed Lost Planet (if only we could turn the voices off!)
R-Type Final
Mahou Series
Thunder Force Series
Star Soldier Series

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside seeing Tecno Soft get all this love.

If anyone deserves it, its them.

That said, Thunder Force V is highly overrated. :angry:

William_Hung

Crazed MVS Addict
I agree that Radirgy sucks. The only thing making me keep it is the unique style of grafix used, otherwise this would've been resold the day after I bought it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
electricgrave said:

Battle Garegga

I'm gonna count to 10 and pretend you didn't say that

"you broke my heart"

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
High: Radiant Silvergun. Most overrated shmup ever (and I f'ing love Treasure)

Low: Eliminate Down- brilliant MD shooter by "Soft Vision" that few people know of.

-Segasonicfan

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
High
Sapphire i like it but it's over rated.

Low
Spriggan Mark II sure it's... not like the frist one but it's different enough for me.

barf

Maxima's Barber
High: Radiant Silver Gun, i just don t like it, call me crazy

Low: Gradius Gaiden (i love it, couldn t let my PSP go before i finished the damn thing)

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
electricgrave said:

Battle Garegga

I'll kill you for this. ;)

Shikigami series
Gunbird series (although 2 has the Genie...aahhh!)
Donpachi Series

Donpachi series is overrated??!!
You must be a noob shmup-wise honnestly. It's the major funny manic series. It launched the all bullet-fest stuff ! (if you don't count Batsugun as a manic but Dodonpachi made the manic shmups famous) Plus it's not expensive on PS1 and Saturn...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ayanami77Ivy said:
You can play Ikaruga like a normal shooter. It does not absolutely require you to chain. The first month I had the game I was only trying to 1cc the damn thing.

I mean, is it absolutely necessary to go for score every time? Can you play the game just to get through it and have fun. I like to think so.

And the Silvergun, Gradius V, and Ikaruga hate saddens me.

The only High Rated shooter I don't like too much is Cyvern.

Of course you can play Ikaruga without chains but then, what's the point in playing it at all? In terms of shmup goodness, it has not a lot to offer that wouldn't be in other vert shmups as well, except for eye candy/stylish atmosphere, the measly weapon system alone doesn't cut it IMO.

Difficult to explain... let's try it another way, take Mars Matrix for example, if you play it just for 1cc'ing it without paying attention to your score or scoring options, it's an average hori-aligned/vert-scrolling shmup that doesn't even look particularly good, but as soon as you start using the bullet-deflect and the armor piercing cannon, Mars Matrix becomes one hell of a cool game... because you finally play it the way it was meant to be played.

In other words, yeah, you can also drive normally with an amphibic car, but there really is no point in spending the extra cash for it if you hate water and boats... ;)

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Highly rated that I don't like:

Sapphire, Progear(its good but not that good)

Low rated that I like:

Guardian Force, Darius Gaiden, Thunderforce V

Porl''

Overtop Pathfinder
hmm im not sure i can say i hate these cus i actually really like them but never play them because they are so darn hard. Ikaruga and Border Down. Both are beautiful games and i think are actually dead good fun to play. but i can only get to level 2 (3 in ikaruga) so many times. haha.

I dont know if its a low rated game but i absolutely love Parodius on the PC Engine. That game is tonnes of fun i think!! :buttrock:

Porl''

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Vincere said:
I'll kill you for this. ;)

You must be a noob shmup-wise honnestly. It's the major funny manic series. It launched the all bullet-fest stuff ! (if you don't count Batsugun as a manic but Dodonpachi made the manic shmups famous) Plus it's not expensive on PS1 and Saturn...

I know, I know, I love the Don Pachi Series, I really do, but it's not the great shooter everyone talks about! they just drive things out of proportion.

Sokyugurentai it's a better game, and Shippu Mahou Daisakusen rocks the hell out of most shooters out there.

Another thing, I'm no noob, I've been playing shooters since the Galaga days, I'm too young for Galaxian, but I will kick the snot out of you in a Galaga game, better yet a Battle Garegga, even though you can barely see the damn bullets. that's what I hate the most about that game.

Good game hyped and everything else EINHANDER that's what shooters are all about. Psyvariar 2 kicks as as well.

Anybody got a hand on HOMURA for PS2 yet?

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
electricgrave said:
I know, I know, I love the Don Pachi Series, I really do, but it's not the great shooter everyone talks about! they just drive things out of proportion.

Sokyugurentai it's a better game, and Shippu Mahou Daisakusen rocks the hell out of most shooters out there.

Another thing, I'm no noob, I've been playing shooters since the Galaga days, I'm too young for Galaxian, but I will kick the snot out of you in a Galaga game, better yet a Battle Garegga, even though you can barely see the damn bullets. that's what I hate the most about that game.

Good game hyped and everything else EINHANDER that's what shooters are all about. Psyvariar 2 kicks as as well.

Anybody got a hand on HOMURA for PS2 yet?

The least I can say is that you sure have counter-mainstream tastes! First, comparing Souky and DDP is no clever stuff, because they're TOTALLY different. But I can understand that you love DDP over Souky. About Kingdom Grandprix, you must be one of the only ones to get the point about this game because I personnally never understood how it works. Thus saying it kicks the majority of shmups is a bit...strange.

And about your supposed "noobness", I'm sure you played shmups long before me, no doubt, but your tastes make your opinion quite hard to handle haha.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Vincere said:
The least I can say is that you sure have counter-mainstream tastes! First, comparing Souky and DDP is no clever stuff, because they're TOTALLY different. But I can understand that you love DDP over Souky. About Kingdom Grandprix, you must be one of the only ones to get the point about this game because I personnally never understood how it works. Thus saying it kicks the majority of shmups is a bit...strange.

And about your supposed "noobness", I'm sure you played shmups long before me, no doubt, but your tastes make your opinion quite hard to handle haha.

Obviously I'm not your everyday shotter fan, with all the ubber shooter games, I like fine games, backgrounds music and gameplay is a plus!

Sokyu and DDP are way different, but in my prefference scale they're next to each other, however Sokyu still on top.

As far as Shippu, take your time with it, hold the fire button to go faster, and then decision time comes when the miniboss shows up, kill him fast with bombs or save the bombs for the racing rivals.

Well there's more to it than just that, but it's a good start, for the newbies.

I would just love to see some more people playing this game, give it a chance it rules!! Get the Saturn if you can't play the PCB, it's awsome and the Manual is got nice art.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Takumaji said:
Yeah, but Ikaruga's scoring system sort of prevents me from doing what I love the most in shmups - blowing stuff up. Dissecting wave after wave of enemies with carefully placed single shots in order to keep your chain counter going is just no fun for me at all.

So just play it as a shooter. There is nothing forcing you to go for the chains.

Edit: I didn't read the whole thread before posting that. Someone already beat me to it. :cool:

Edit 2: I wouldn't have thought it was underrated, but I love Truxton/Tatsujin. One day I want this on a cab.

Also, I love Raiden DX. No one has mentioned this yet. Is it a hightly rated game that is universally loved?

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Vincere said:

Yes, right up there with RSG.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Kiel said:
Vincere said:
Yes, right up there with RSG.

cosign

biggthumpup.gif

J. Max

judas,
High that I don't like: Mars Matrix 2. I like being able to dodge bullets, and this one is just a "developers revenge" type of game. Manic is one thing, but this game has WAY too much.

-Any Gradius game except 5. I just don't like them. Gaiden is OK.

-Thunder Force V

-Rainbow Cotton

Low that I like:
-R-type Final (didn't know that this was a low rated game. Go figure.)

-Darius Gaiden (Best game in the series.)

-Sengoku Ace/Blade/Cannon

-Sol Divide

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
J. Max said:
High that I don't like: Mars Matrix 2. I like being able to dodge bullets, and this one is just a "developers revenge" type of game. Manic is one thing, but this game has WAY too much.

-Any Gradius game except 5. I just don't like them. Gaiden is OK.

-Thunder Force V

-Rainbow Cotton

Mars Matrix 2? ha ha, guess you wanted to either say Mars Matrix or Gigawing 2.

Otherwise same tastes here about the three games above.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Overrated:

Gradius V
Mushihime Sama
Rez
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga

Underrated:

Gradius Gaiden (PSX)
Parodius
Star Soldier (Turbo Grafx)
Space Megaforce (SNES)
Guardian Legend (NES)
Zero Gunner II (DC)
Cho Aniki (PS2) :rolleyes:
Raiden I and II (arcade) and Raiden III (PS2)

TWE

Zero's Secretary
Highly rated games I don't like:

Donpachi
DDP
DDP DOJ
Radiant Silvergun
Radirgy
Gradius V

Underrated games I like:

Nothing I can think of.

My fave shmups include Mushihime-sama, Ikaruga, Ibara, Espgaluda, Espgaluda II,
Zero Gunner 2, and Border down.

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I never had the chance to play Strikers and never felt the need to actually. I mainly played Strikers 2 and then suddenly wondered how good was the first episode in the series. So I picked up the game on Saturn and after one day of playing, I must admit it is more balanced than Strikers 2 IMO. I really like it even though nobody speaks of it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I'm outta the loop on shooters. I play lots of them and have always liked them, but I don't know what's highly rated and what's lowly rated...

A lot of people seem to love Pulstar, but I don't really like it. I don't care much for Thunder Force V.

I didn't know R Type Final wasn't liked, but I love that game. Last Resort is one of my favorite Neo Geo games too...

Playahata

n00b
High rated:

Ikaruga, Guwange (both good games, but not my favorites like a lot of people)

Low rated:

Gleylancer, Nexzr, Soldier Blade, Cotton Boomerang, Wonder Planet