"Highly rated" shmups that you don't like and "Low rated" shmups that you love

lordnikon

Another Striker
Tatsujin/Truxton 1 & 2 were developed by Toaplan. After Toaplan was broken up, one of the companies formed from its members was Cave. The visual style and action in these games, especially Tatsujin 2 is striking to what followed from Cave in DonPachi. Some people lump these games in with other Cave games because they are very early cave-esque, so that is why I felt to mention that I enjoy these games greatly.

Another company that spawned from Toaplan was Takumi, the developers of Mars Matrix and the Giga Wing series. So elements of Tatsujin/Truxton 1 & 2 made it over with Takumi as well.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
lordnikon said:
Tatsujin/Truxton 1 & 2 were developed by Toaplan. After Toaplan was broken up, one of the companies formed from its members was Cave. The visual style and action in these games, especially Tatsujin 2 is striking to what followed from Cave in DonPachi. Some people lump these games in with other Cave games because they are very early cave-esque, so that is why I felt to mention that I enjoy these games greatly.

Huh. I never actualy knew this. Truxton is one of the most memorable shooters for me because I remembered playing it on MD when I was younger (11 years old maybe?)before I actualy got into the genre. That game rocked my face off back then. Now here I am in the mid-2000's and Cave is still rocking my face off with the PS2 love.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
High/Overrated:

Radiant Silvergun
Soukyugurentai
R-Type Final

Low/Underrated:

Layer Section 1 / Galactic Attack / Gunlock (absolutely love this game)
Time Bokan: Dorombo series
Pop'n Twinbee
Spriggan 1 (most ppl only talk about Mark 2)
Gradius Gaiden

subcons

StealthLurker said:
Layer Section 1 / Galactic Attack / Gunlock (absolutely love this game)

I concur. Very well designed shooter.

This game single handedly got me into Saturn shooters while I was in college and eventualy got me into the the genre which led to me buying my first imports. Impacted me in a big way. Oh, the money spent!

Last edited:

lordnikon

Another Striker
The real name of Layer Section / Galactic Attack is "RayForce", with its sequals RayStorm and RayCrisis. While RayCrisis was developed after RayForce, it is actually the prequal to RayForce.

RayForce is not an underated game, it is highly praised as one of the best shooters ever, and gets respect at every turn. I have rarely if ever seen people badmouth RayForce, so this game does not qualify as an underated title.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
lordnikon said:
The real name of Layer Section / Galactic Attack is "RayForce", with its sequals RayStorm and RayCrisis. While RayCrisis was developed after RayForce, it is actually the prequal to RayForce.

RayForce is not an underated game, it is highly praised as one of the best shooters ever, and gets respect at every turn. I have rarely if ever seen people badmouth RayForce, so this game does not qualify as an underated title.

That may be so, but whenever people generally mention the "great saturn" shooters I rarely see this get listed. Usually the list goes RS, souk, battle garrega, hyper duel, yadda yadda. It's only when people say oh don't forget LS do people say oh yeah thats good too. So maybe underrated is "not true"... but it's definitely overlooked/forgotten which is a shame. It's probably this way because it's a dirt cheap title that can be had easily so it's not worth mentioning. :lolz:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Under-rated:

Thunderforce V
Hyperduel
Zanac Neo
Hyper Duel
Gradius Gaiden
Stirkers 99
Dragon Blaze
Sexy Parodius
Cotton II
Rayxanber III
Sengoku Blade

Over-rated:

Blazing Star
Giga Wing series
194X series

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
High that I don't like:

Ikaruga

Low that I like:
R-Type Final
Twin Corba

subcons

Terry330 said:
Over-rated:

Blazing Stars

Yeah, but when you think about what shooters are available on the Neo, it is one of the best.

William_Hung

Crazed MVS Addict
Over rated: Radiant Silvergun

Under rated: Vertical Force(Virtual Boy)seriously this game kicks

Tachibana

n00b
i second noiz2sa but i don't think it's really underrated. as a fact it gets ported to every system it can be ported to.

high: ikaruga

low: biohazard battle/crying (mega drive) - weird, fun and has a brilliant soundtrack

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I just want to add to this thread that Ghost Pilots is a great shmup. It rarely gets the credit that is due, except maybe on this site:)

I didn't mention this in my first post because I didn't have the game then.

SSS

neo retired
alec said:
I just want to add to this thread that Ghost Pilots is a great shmup. It rarely gets the credit that is due, except maybe on this site:)

I didn't mention this in my first post because I didn't have the game then.

it doesn't deserve any credit. even when it came out it was an antiquated piece of crap. :)

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
High:
Radirgy, bought it for the hype and was disapointed, thank God, Border Down and Under Defeat have blown me away, two of my fav shooters.

Low: Summer Carnival '92 by Recca for the Nes

Has anyone played it? DL it for your xbocks, its easy to find, when everyone was hypin up on the Snes, this came out as a jp exclusive, many many people missed it, I found it on Yahoo Japan about a year ago and cant believe the graphics they where able to get outta the ol' NES, you all should try it....oh yeah, ITS HARD AS HELL!!!

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
High
Gunbird 2 ( though i own it)

Low
In the hunt, sure it is slow, clunky no bullet hell.
Though it is relaxing the Backgrounds are Beautiful, and the extra touches on the animation.

Pysvariar 2
I can't get enough of this game it is amazing.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
dakingofzumunda said:
High I dont like:

Radiant Silvergun

Low I like:

Vapor Trail
Thunder Force III & 4
Gate of Thunder
Tiger Heli

How is Gate of Thunder an under-rated game??? Everywhere I've looked, I have seen good reviews of this game. Gate of Thunder is awesome!

Highs:
Ikaruga (I haven't put too much time into this one though)

I think this is highly rated: Layer Section series (never got into the whole idea of not being able to bomb enemies on the ground. I just wanted to shoot everything)

Soukyugurentai: again, the idea of having to bomb certain enemies got on my nerves.

Robo Aleste for the sega cd: Not a bad game, but not as good as I was hoping it would be.

Lows:

Cotton for turbo duo

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Low Love:
Astro Warrior for SMS (every review I've seen of this pans it)
Bomber Raid for SMS

Not sure how these are treated, but I never really see anyone mention them (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place):

Section Z for NES

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Most Psikyo games.

(I'm not sure which are "Highly Rated")

I seem to only like the two Gunbird games because of the characters and the story, but the rest of them just feel the same, no matter what game your playing, especially the Striker's series.

Fight through a bunch of popcorn planes, get to a big tank-like boss that turns into a giant flying mech, repeat.

Shikagami series.

Is this a Highly Rated shooter? If so, I'm not seeing it. I'm just glad I didn't pay more then 20 bucks for both of them.

Ikuraga

Sure, it's got great design and a style to it but for me it get's too hard to change the ship and making sure I have enough power to shoot a bomb off.

I haven't played enough of Raident Silvergun to judge it, but I liked what I've played.

Low raited I like.

Tiger Heli, Still one of my favorite NES games, I know were a lot of the big bonus spots are.

I could list some, but I don't know if you could consider them high or low.

Takumaji said:
Yeah, but Ikaruga's scoring system sort of prevents me from doing what I love the most in shmups - blowing stuff up. Dissecting wave after wave of enemies with carefully placed single shots in order to keep your chain counter going is just no fun for me at all.

You can play Ikaruga like a normal shooter. It does not absolutely require you to chain. The first month I had the game I was only trying to 1cc the damn thing.

I mean, is it absolutely necessary to go for score every time? Can you play the game just to get through it and have fun. I like to think so.

And the Silvergun, Gradius V, and Ikaruga hate saddens me.

The only High Rated shooter I don't like too much is Cyvern.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
To add another Low that I like, I ended up getting Chaos Field today. When I first heard about it I expected it to be bad, but then I watched the videos and thought I would give it a shot. It's pretty good, but nowhere nearly as good as Ikaruga (my fav shmup of all time). I actually like the sword which only takes one button to use and can be used fast. That means you can't get cornered so easily by a group of bullets. It has decent music which has a heavy Japanese influence.

The things I didn't like about it are the fact that your ship is TOO big. It gives you this somewhat strange feeling like you are flying around in a large fridge. Hit detection for your ship is not good. They should've made the ship smaller and more nimble.

Overall I did like all the bullet dodging and weaving. It's a pretty decent game, and I'm glad they brought it out to the US.

boha

n00b
Wow,always plenty of Ikaruga haters out there.I love that game but I also love when people have the guts to attack sacred cows.

I really like Raiden III.Most people don't seem to dig this game at all.

I thought R-Type Final was crap (esp that strategy mini-game),but I'm not really sure if its a highly rated game.