"Highly rated" shmups that you don't like and "Low rated" shmups that you love

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Some games have attacks that can take out/deflect bullets (ie. Shikigami no Shiro, Tavia in Gunbird 2). In RSG, you use the sword to take out bullets and get bombs. Ship design, I guess you got me there, but the way a ship looks has no impact on game play. I've played Ikaruga and RSG plenty. I've played many shooters. Patterns are bound to be similar with all these shooters. I'm not saying that Chaos Field is my favorite game or anything, but I like it and think it's okay. As for RSG and Ikaruga, I've played them enough and I really don't like them. RSG's button thing and Ikaruga's chain thing just don't appeal to my tastes (must admit though, the polarity change thing was a great idea). At least with Chaos Field it's just mindless shooting pretty much; sometimes I need that to relax when I'm stressed out because of work or whatever. I just think the big boss fights are a quick break from the norm. Anyways, to each his own, eh? Good news is we both like shooters so we can leave it at that.

EDIT: BTW I don't consider the meter you fill up in Chaos Field to be bombs. It reminds me more of Strikers 1945+ kind of meter. Maybe this will help clarify what I am thinking.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Highs that aren't that high on my list:

- Ikaruga

I don't hate the game, graphics, soundtrack and overall presentation are awesome... thing is, with gameplay elements like color switching and chaining, Treasure gave the game a wrong spin. Ikaruga is an amazing scrolling puzzler with shmup elements, but while many people love just that, it does not fly with me at all.

- DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou

IMO, Cave lost it a bit with DoJ, the game just doubles anything DDP had but otherwise failed to impress me like the prequels.

- Guwange

Meh, this probably is what Ninja Commando 2 would have looked like... again, veeery good looks and atmosphere, but gameplay just isn't there for me.

Lows that I rate highly:

- R-Type Final

Is that really a low? I mean... heh, this is borderliner ignorant I must say... ah well, whatever, tastes are tastes I guess. I abso-fucking-lutely ADORE this game. For a strategic shmup fan like me, this is as good as it can possibly get. RTF and Border Down are my two fave modern horis, they just feel right to me.

- Gaplus

People hate this game for some strange reason... I never got why. Do they think it's too difficult? Well, it IS, but that doesn't stop me from loving the game since release. Sucking in a bunch of bees and then cleaning the screen with a mighty broad shot is cool, that and the backwards scrolling levels, the added freedom of movement, the bonus stages... good stuff.

...I'm sure there are more lows that I love because I have a soft spot for underdogs/budget games, but these are the two that hopped into my mind.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
- R-Type Final

Is that really a low?

I've seen it bashed countless times

I've even seen a majority preferring Delta over Final

Final is absolutely gorgeous, atmospheric, and creative

some people can't see that I guess

kubrick

Stakes Winner
ThunderForce V is the only shooter that's quite highly-rated I can think of that I truly HATE. I couldn't wait to get rid of that after just a few minutes. :emb:

Soukyugurentai, Zero Gunner 2 and Psyvariar 2 pretty-much leave me cold as well, but I can still get some low-level enjoyment from them. I'm also still to be convinced that Border Down deserves it's good reputation.

A low-rated one I like...probably Gradius IV (most people seem to dislike it).

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Oh yes, I forgot the Psikyo games. I can't stand that Company, plain and simple. ZG2 is a piece of shit IMO, and I despise all the classic verts like Gunbirds, Dragon Blaze, Sengoku Aces etc.

The only game I love, oddly enough, is Strikers 1945 II. The only one.

Thunderforce V is also a game I can't bare. It has so horrid graphics that it makes my eyes bleed.

Anyway, tastes are tastes...

Another low I like is Storm Blade and Hot Dog Storm. Sure they're average shooters but I have great fun with them.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Ghost Pilots - One of the first shooters on Neo. I just can't stop playing it and it's so addictive. People hate this game due to slow gameplay but I just love it so much.

Battle Garegga is an awesome shooter! :cool:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
- Ikaruga
scrolling puzzler with shmup elements, but while many people love just that, it does not fly with me at all.

Ah-ha! See, I'm not the only person who thinks that.

Valgar

NEST Puppet
Every shooter is a puzzle if you want to go for score. Ikaruga just doesn't hide it like DDP or the others. When you pop those in once a month and play to "relieve stress" you won't see it.

DOJ is amazing (better in every aspect compared to DDP imo) and Battle Garegga is a brilliant game. Black Heart MK2 is the best boss ever, along with Tageri ~_~.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
High's that I don't care for:
R-Type (Any)
Pullstar
Gradius (2,3,4,5)
1942/3

Games that I think are Underated:
Stinger (NES)
Trizeal
Castle Shikgami II
Zed Blade
Border Down (Since some People trash it)

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Highs that I do not like:
Cave
Psikyo

Lows that I like:
Metal Black
Trizeal
Blast Wind

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
High Hate:
DDP - sure, widely known, respecatble game, but it lacks personailty imo.
Strikers series - everything is bland, plus, Mechs+WW2... ugh..
R-types - i hate anything with an organic feel, seems so, icky.
Pulstar - reason above, pixeled pre-renders gives me nightmares..
Thunderforce series - just, meh.... (i like other genny shmups more)

Low Love
Radilgy - im diggin the cute-em-up feel, nice vibe, sadly overshadowed by UD hype/praise
Bangai-O - I like gazillion bullets and uber explosions... an underrated Treasure game.
Keio Flying Squadron - what can i say, i like cutemups...
Soldier Blade - PCE shmups never get any notice...
Tengai - Nice Hori shooter, albeit easy
Sol Divide - unique... nice merging of hack and slash with shmup elements

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Valgar said:
Every shooter is a puzzle if you want to go for score. Ikaruga just doesn't hide it like DDP or the others. When you pop those in once a month and play to "relieve stress" you won't see it.

Yeah, but Ikaruga's scoring system sort of prevents me from doing what I love the most in shmups - blowing stuff up. Dissecting wave after wave of enemies with carefully placed single shots in order to keep your chain counter going is just no fun for me at all.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Highs that I don't like too much:
DoDonPachi -- for the exact same reason ronibuddha gave
Bio-Hazard Battle -- very perplexed as to how this one enters many people's 'best shmups on the Genney' lists
R-Type III -- quite possibly the worst in the main series; tis OK, but nothing great
Pulstar -- as it is, the deja vu factor just completely turns me off for the first few stages...give me a few more months and I may start liking it more
Radiant Silvergun -- guess I just got into it too late...bores me to tears sometimes
Soukyugurentai -- incredibly bland and mediocre...no fun
Axelay -- it's good, don't get me wrong, but doesn't deserve the extreme amount of praise; maybe for the boss design graphics, but nothing more

Lows that I like:
Gekirindan -- great game, really hard to pinpoint what attracts me to it, but the music plays into it
Gradius IV -- not exactly low, but the game just doesn't get enough love. diggin' the Kenny G-esque music
Whip Rush
Air Buster
Arrow Flash
Metal Black -- awesome style, if only the basic enemies had more personality among them
Blast Wind -- literally took me months to finally enjoy/appreciate it, but in the end it finally clicked with me and I really, really like it now

I'm kinda surprised at how many 'great games' don't click with me. I'm not afraid to say DDP bores the fuck out of me, though.

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hmm, reading through this thread, alot of you say games that are rated low when I thought they were rated high.

Games I love then would be:
Truxton (very under appreciated and awsome music)
R-Type Final (I think GamePRo gave Rtype Final a really good review)
Bio Hazard Battle (cool genesis game that doesn't get enough recognition)
Thunder Force II (it years to figure out what to do what I was supposed to do in the first level, but once I did it was really a lot of fun)

The only highly rated games I didn't care for though would have to be Soukyugurentai. I only had it for two or the months at the most, so maybe thats why I couldn't fully appreciate it, but back then every time I wanted to play a shooter I would put in either Don Pachi, Ikaruga, Truxton, or Bio Hazard Battle.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Highs that I don't care for:

Any Gradius game (i really hate this series, and have since I was a kid)
Pulstar (meh)
Blazing Star (meh)
1942 series

Lows that I love:

Sonic Wings 2 & 3
Flying Shark
i-ball

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
Tarma said:

Are you referring to £1.99 'I-ball'? If so, that's a bloody obscure reference.

As for highs that I don't enjoy:

Pulstar
Strikers 1945 Plus

Low loves:

Maneouvre ceptre (sp?) Granada
Vapour Trail (Hey, it appears I'm not the only one who likes this)
Does Starblade count?

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I really don't know which games I don't like are in the "High" area. I think Psikyo is a hit or miss company. I also don't like most pre mid-90s shooters, they don't seem challenging enough but they did pave the way for what we have now. I pretty much love all Cave and G.rev games made. I guess I don't like the Castle Shikigami games either, they seem too much like cut & paste homebrews with little excitement.

Edit: I just realized many people love Zero Gunner 2. I think the game design is very cool and pretty, but even on the hardest difficulty I get bored with the easily avoidable bullets. In all honesty if someone asked me what I thought about this game I really wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
H

hermegildo

The rampant Ikaruga hate in this thread saddens me, but it's understandable I guess.

The game is more about strict memorization than pretty much every other shooter I've played.

Still, it's probably my favorite shmup ever.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
The rampant Ikaruga hate in this thread saddens me, but it's understandable I guess.

The game is more about strict memorization than pretty much every other shooter I've played.

Still, it's probably my favorite shmup ever.

I used to like the game when I played to survive

the second I tried to get into the combo-ing aspect

it totally sucked the "fun" out of the game

H

hermegildo

roker said:
I used to like the game when I played to survive

the second I tried to get into the combo-ing aspect

it totally sucked the "fun" out of the game
That's kinda true but still, getting to the point where you can chain complete stages is very rewarding, if not technically "fun."

Gradius V is tops too.

lordnikon

Another Striker
(My high's and low's are at the bottom of the thread)

Robert said:
Highly I don't like: Gradius V

Low I like: Border down.

For me Border down>Gradius V.
Tristesse already posted in reply to this, but I had to add some more on the subject.

Border Down is on the verge of legendary status. The core of the shootemup scene is praising this game more and more everyday, and I think hype has a lot to do with it after the releases of Senko and UD. I was a huge fan of Border Down when it was met with luke warm feelings during its innitial release. It continues to be one of my favorite shooters of all time, and #1 on the Dreamcast.

With GRev's small library of titles, it is hard to fathom why people out there were saying before the release of Under Defeat:

"Of course Under Defeat will be great, it's by GRev!"

A lot of people started to say this, after only 1 now rare title exists on the Dreamcast, and Senko No Ronde (a game barely anyone has played) hit the arcades on the NAOMI.

So I guess if you appreciate Border Down for what it really is, and are not basing your opinions on the hype of others on forums, then it would be considered a minority opinion.

dakingofzumunda said:
High I dont like:

Radiant Silvergun

Low I like:

Vapor Trail
Thunder Force III & 4
Gate of Thunder
Tiger Heli
News Flash: The Thunder Force series is the most highly praised shootemup series on the Mega Drive / Genesis. They are well known and have legions of followers (of which I am one, TFIV is my favorite shooter of all time).

Tiger Heli is also very well respected shooter from Toaplan. If you are talking about the NES version then that "might" classify as a low, since many praise the arcade version but are somewhat indifferent about the NES port.

Jedah Doma said:
Sorry man, crappy shooter that copies Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun is better then the originals? I own Chaos Field and it's nothing but a cheap ripoff of the two above listed games. I'ts not a terrible game, but it doesn't even use the elements copied from the other games well or even as well as the originals IMO.
Jedah Doma: History has proven that the shootemup / shooter genre is no stranger to inspiration. Countless games borrow conventions from other franchises. A big reason for this is because there is so much carry over between companies. On average an employee who works on shooters has most likely worked at 2 or 3 different companies specializing in this game type. Games such as Pulstar for the Neo-Geo are a perfect example of this.

I am a strong supporter of originality. But because of the environment in this genre it makes it difficult to crucify games for borrowing conventions from other titles. The only games I feel that can have points taken away for originality are blatent rip-offs. Also, you have to remember that the swords are actually integrated into the design of the ships in Chaos Field. If the swords were removed from the default look of the ship, then the distinction made with Ikaruga would be a lot harder to justify.

Chaos Field's overall experience seperates itself enough from the pack to classify it as original in it's own right. How many other games have there been that focus soley on boss battles? Yes there have been games that feature a boss rush mode, but those weren't designed from the ground up as such.

So far I have found only one other title that focuses on boss encounters. That is none other than Change Air Blade, a vertical shooter from Sammy which has players playing against each other with the ability to turn into bosses.

One could say that GRev borrowed the entire concept of Senko no Ronde from Change Air Blade. The similarities are spot on. People making comparisons of Under Defeat with Zero Gunner 2, and Border Down has origins with another shooter franchise. This goes back to what I was saying before about originality in this genre. It is hard to find shooters that were released as 100% original. Hell most of the shooters on the market borrow special effects from the original R-Type.

I think game players tend to back information that best supports the games they like to play, and vice versa. If someone really likes a game, they will ignore it's faults or find ways to reason around them. On the flip side, if a person does not find a game fun to play, they will nitpick and use any flaw against the game in order to justify to themselves and others why they shouldn't put time into playing it.

Chaos Field might not be for everyone, but there are people out there that appreciate and like this game. It also filled a niche that had barely been carved in the shootemup genre. In the future when the subject of an all boss battle shooter comes up, the first game to be mentioned will be Chaos Field.

Takumaji said:
Lows that I rate highly:

- R-Type Final

Is that really a low? I mean... heh, this is borderliner ignorant I must say... ah well, whatever, tastes are tastes I guess. I abso-fucking-lutely ADORE this game. For a strategic shmup fan like me, this is as good as it can possibly get. RTF and Border Down are my two fave modern horis, they just feel right to me.
I am a massive R-Type Final fan. I love the pacing of the game, and the atmosphere is incredible. I can't get over how enjoyable it is to constantly push your score with the force bit rubbing against anything that yields points. I like Delta a lot, but I prefer Final. It's presentation, music, and pacing is what makes me love it so much.

--

Highly Praised Games, that are not for me:
Cave Shooters (except Tatsujin / Tatsujin 2)
Raizing Shooters

Low (bashed games / infrequently mentioned):
PS2 - R-Type Final
DC - Trizeal
N64 - Star Soldier Vanishing Earth
SNES - Phalanx

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
brightangel said:
Are you referring to £1.99 'I-ball'? If so, that's a bloody obscure reference.

Yup, the one and the same, £1.99 Firebird game from about 1986 for ZX Spectrum. I still have a copy somewhere, but alas not a speccy to play it... I loved that game...

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
Tarma said:
Yup, the one and the same, £1.99 Firebird game from about 1986 for ZX Spectrum. I still have a copy somewhere, but alas not a speccy to play it... I loved that game...

Ah, the memories. Crash Smash no less. Remember the rear cover? "Pick it up for Rainbow Ripple"...which I never managed to get anyway.

My Speccy still powers up but I get graphic corruption on the screen.

Hey, as an ex-speccy user, why aren't you competing with me and ijm000 on Manic Miner on the flash Arcade?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
brightangel said:
Ah, the memories. Crash Smash no less. Remember the rear cover? "Pick it up for Rainbow Ripple"...which I never managed to get anyway.

My Speccy still powers up but I get graphic corruption on the screen.

Hey, as an ex-speccy user, why aren't you competing with me and ijm000 on Manic Miner on the flash Arcade?

I remember getting the rainbow ripple... once! i will always remember the sampled speech, that was just don :D

Manic Miner? Hmmm, I may take a look...

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
more..
High Hate:

ESPGaluda - mah... gameplay is nice, i just dont like the atmoshpere... give me Ra De any day..
Batsugun - yes, "father" of manic, but, i jsut dont see why it ranks up to other shmups..
194X series (capcom/raizing) - hrmm, there is something about WW2 shmups which turn me off...

let me add something to the list.
Inbetweeners - meaning, they fluctuate from both Love and Hate, depends on the day of the week or your mood i guess..
RSG & Ikaruga - Casual play is fun, but when playing for Score (chains, etc.), it just becomes very tedious..
Gradius series - i respect the games, but sometimes, especially when i get used to playing "modern" stuff, i get bored...
Chaos Field - Lacks the "Oomph" of other polygon shooters, but sometimes, it's fun, when you crave something different yet familiar
Perfect Cherry blossom/Shanghai ALice shmups - Decent doujin games, very cool, well done but the fans tends to be biased and that gets to me, plus it lacks the "furbished" feel of major shmups.

Low Love:
Metal Black - Now i see where 1/2 of the inspiration of BorderDown came from.
Tatsujin 2 - almost impossible to 1CC, maybe that's why i like it... it's never meant to be perfected just by anyone.
Crisis Force - defintly one of the best shmups for the Famicom... too bad only a few know about this game.
Sonic Wings 2 - playing as a Dolphin is novelty.
Air Buster - one of my most memorable Genny games.
Daisenpu - oddly enough, the only WW2 shmup i 'kinda' like, the music is awesome imo (PCE ver. especially), lol, you play as japanese planes.