Samurai Showdown V Special - Authentic SNK or Not Question Please?

complexs6

Camel Slug
I wanna buy Samurai Shodown V Special from someone but they say its Not authentic SNK, I dont wanna buy a bootleg but was the special not ever from SNK & only a boot?

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
No, there are authentic SNK japan and english version SS5Special, but there were two releases because of a recall so this might be part of the confusion.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Just to add to this, did this ever come out as an official MVS kit, there is no pic of it on this site?

I have only seen this as a loose cart on ebay and it was a boot.

I have the kit in my requests list in the wanted section (here and elsewhere), but Im having difficulty sourcing it.

Mx

complexs6

Camel Slug
Hello, Yes I see them on ebay too and they are bootlegs (loose carts) no kit and stated by seller as non SNK, but what is the difference between the recalled version and the not recalled? Any more gore than usual?

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
I did a quick search and found this.....

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104646&highlight=ssvspecial

scroll down a little to k'_127's comments, he seems pretty clued up on this....

of course if you can't be bothered here is a direct quote......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"

the story behind SSVS is big. to make it short:

after releasing SSV, SNK Playmore annouced SSVS, and said it will have Fatalities and new characters.

SNKP released the MVS version. everyone was happy, except for some Japanese players who complained about the game for being too gory.

when they released the home cart, customers found out that the fatalities were removed.

outraged customers expressed their ingratidute to what happen, especially that SNKP remained silent about the fatalities, and didn't annouce that they were removed from the home version. not to mention the sound glitches and bugs.

SNKP playmore annouced that they will recall the SSVS carts for a fix. they said that the fatalities will be watered down (i.e. no body splitting).

some people sent their carts, and some didn't. the NeoStore also left some "unfixed" carts in stock and sent the rest.

by that time, Razoola had been working on fixing the fatalities and the bugs, and he succeded. now the original full fatalities that were in the MVS can be played at home with the help of his Unibios 2.

SNKP returned the carts, and now we have both versions.

"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above is accurate then, SNK Playmore did released a MVS version ..... can someone please confirm this?

If you are after an AES version, then it appears that, so long as you have a UNI bios version 2.0 or above, get the unfixed version of SSVSp.

Mx

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Here's the scoop w/ SSVS:

It was released as a kit in Japan only (I have the kit actually)
If you see an MVS SSVS with an english label, there is a very good possibility it is boot as no official US SSVS carts were ever made.

There are official US and Jap AES versions
They come "fixed" or "unfixed"

The only way to see uncensored fatalities is to play the MVS version or to play the unfixed AES version with the Unibios.

100% working and Non-SNK release are just fancy ways of saying this is a piece of shit bootleg.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Yeah, "not authentic SNK" is a dead give away... Bootleg.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Cheers

Thanks for the heads up ;o)

Is the SSVS kit a rare one then, I cant find it :confused:

Mx

complexs6

Camel Slug
Well it seems to not be around as much as the regular one, I see more than 4 on ebay for the regular and only 1 for the special but its not authentic.

complexs6

Camel Slug
Thanks for all the information guys, the short story like mentioned above is if you want the special version get the one with the jap label because if its in english it is a boot. I am only looking for MVS carts only of this game so I think I should have stated that before, lol. SNK FOREVER