2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Well, are these worth it? As far as I know there are:

sonic wings: SNES
sonic wings 2: Neo
sonic wings 3: Neo
sonic wings special: Saturn

I know it's more of the same each time, but what do you guys think? And what about the Saturn remixed version?

drombat

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I have AF2 for the NeoCD. It's a good game. At the price for the NeoCD version it's definitely worth it. I am content with it, so I will not get AF3 even though you can fly Il-2 in that one. One thing is for certain - I would not pay $150 for any of them.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I think the Saturn package is well worth owning if you don't have a Neo system of some sort.

I used to own part two on MVS, but got rid of it because I plan on picking up the third installment at some point and calling it a day.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
the 1st Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings was also for arcade

there is another one (only for arcade), called Sonic Wings Limited.
its a "remix" type game, much like Sonic Wings Special.

part 2 on MVS is my fave, mostly because of the awesome Engrish. n_n

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have Sonic Wings 2+3 on NGCD and I like them both. Most ppl dislike 3 for some reason but I find it decent, all that crazy hidden stuff gives the game a nice touch IMO.

Since both are Neo games, they only play in Yoko of course.

Levels are quite short, you will spend way more time with defeating bosses than plowing through waves of smaller ships.

IMO they're worth picking up, maybe not on homecart due to higher prices but definitely on MVS or NGCD.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Sonic wings 2 is my fave shooter evar

probably because I'm good at it and no others.

I used to have it on jp ngh but now I have the english MVS.

awesome title.

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
They're okay. I have borh on MVS. I like 2 more than 3 only by a little bit. They are pretty much the same game to me. If you can get them cheap, then go for it.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
We like Sonic Wings 2 & 3 on the Neo. They are pretty much the same.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I had Sonic Wings 3 for AES but I didn't like it very much. The levels in it are VERY short, like 10 seconds long (or so it seemed like).

I still have Aero Fighters 2 for AES, and I like it very much. The levels are still a little short, but not as bad as SW3. And they're fun too.

There was also an Aero Fighters Assault for Nintendo 64. I've never played it, but from what I remember, it was vastly different than the previous games and not well liked. I think it goes for very cheap, might still be worth checking out.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Aero Fighters 2 is awesome. One of my favorite shooters of all time. While some people do not like Aero Fighters 3, I love it. Music is pretty decent in it and the action is pretty much the same. Both are still money earners in Neo Cabinets.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SWS is OK, nothing great, but not too shabby either. Reminds me of a much less beefy Strikers '45 game. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a complete one, though.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
before more powerful consoles came out, the SNES version was my favourite SNES shooter - also worth getting.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
For some reason the SNES version is really expensive and hard to find.:conf:

Nick Len

n00b
SWS

I just joined this forum after many months of reading your guys posts just so I could write in my two cents on Sonic Wings. I do plan on visiting and writing often now because I think a dedicated SHMUPS forum is frekin goodies.

Anyways, I have been playing Sonic Wings Special on my Saturn for the last few days and I must say it's really outstanding. I don't think enough people give it the credit it deserves. Sure it's oldschool and doesn't really wow anyone in the graphics department (which i dunno give a F!@*( about anyway) but the amount of variety the game offers is awesome. It has nice, tight control which is important to me and its simply a blast to play. It's obviously on the easy side but ..I could play the hell out of this for a long time to come. For anyone thinking about getting the Saturn compilation I would give my highest recommendation. It's deep for a shooter, it's really good times, and it's cheap. :D

Last edited:

Smiley

Quiz Detective
I just finished the second aerofighters, but haven't really gotten into the third.:multi_co:

currently playing prehistoric isle 2, which I love.

SSS

neo retired
They are fun games. A purchase on MVS isn't a bad idea. They just haven't aged as nicely as some of the neos other shooters (Viewpoint, Pulstar etc...)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Picked up a complete Aerofighters SNES from a local video rental store that closed a few years ago. Enjoyable game. 2 is one of my all time fave shooters.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Aero Fighters 1 is really fun

I saw an add on craigslist for an AF1 cocktail cabinet about 15 mins away from my house, I spoke with the guy on the phone he said it was still available. It had a 300 dollar price tag but he said if I could beat him at the game he would give me a hundred dollars back. So I downloaded the MAME rom and was playing it with my USB sega saturn pad so I could get extra practice. It is really a great shooter. When I drove out to check it out it was an ASTRO FIGHTERS cab, totally different game that I'm not really interested in buying. But from this experience I did learn that aerofighters 1 is a really good game that I think I like more than 3. I haven't really played 2 though.

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
Did you ever notice in part 2 during the New York level, you can blow up the WTC buildings for bonus points? Its a little disturbing now....

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Carlos, it was at a store called Funhouse Amusement which is named after a Pinball game. I would recomend staying away from them if you can. All their prices are rediculously high and theres always some hillbilly lady that doesn't know shit about what she's talking about but has an attitude like she does.

There used to be one really close to my house but they closed down because they refused to lower their prices on their machines. $800 for a fucked up Street Fighter II is rediculous. I remember seeing an Opperation Wolf machine their for $600 and couldn't imagine who could have bought that. Just last week my friends dad picked one up that was in better shape than that one for $200 delivered to his house.

Last edited:

Paulie G

Zero's Secretary
Ive owned both Aero Fighters 2 & 3 for MVS and I like them quite a lot, IMO they are worthy of a place in any MVS collection. I actually like the levels being so short, it makes a sort of nice change.

Also I picked up a unused pal Playstation 1 version of Sonic Wings Special from a cash converters type shop on saturday for £1.49 and im really enjoying playing that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Aerofighters 2 is a pretty fun game. I used to play it a lot at the local pizza place here in town (that and MS3!). It was only a quarter per play so good times were had.

I now own it on MVS.

Well worth it.

Neo-Sam

n00b
You should only acquire the Sonic Wing 2 & 3 if you could get them in less the $50. Else there is a lot of much better shmups at that price.

BTW, I got the SFC Sonic Wing (Japanese Ver.) for sale $6 (+ postage) cart with manual, no box. PM me if you are interested.